PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 7 August 2011)

ROBCamra
01-08-2011, 11:20
nogoodboyo: Dark Star American Pale Ale
ROBCamra: Mallinsons On The Trail Again

nogoodboyo
02-08-2011, 23:56
Dark Star American Pale Ale

ROBCamra
05-08-2011, 14:24
Very peaceful week this week with only a Tuesday night in The Baum to consider.

BOTW is going to be Mallinsons On The Trail Again another light hoppy one from Tara.

I've already chosen my BOTW for the next 2 weeks unless I can find some of the local Menorcan beer Illy.

Normal service on BOTW threads will be resumed soon. :cheers:

Wittenden
06-08-2011, 23:27
The 11th. Smarden Beer festival: I dug the family pushbike out of the shed and wobbled down to the Flyer carpark.
Acorn Brewery-Barnsley Bitter. I don't know how this relates to the BB of South Yorkshire myth, but I found it a complex and satisfying session beer.
Acorn Brewery-Old Moor Porter. A lovely dark, lusciuos liqouiricy porter.
Triple fff Brewery-Ramble Tamble American Pale AleSilly name, but a real hop bomb, a taste that cuts through. I was still thinking about it as I cycled home.
Triple fff-Alton's Pride An award winning brambly session bitter. Jeff said it "was like Masterbrew, but more so".
My BOTW-Tripple fff Brewery Ramble Tamble APA

Oggwyn Trench
07-08-2011, 11:48
Not to bad a day yesterday , though drinking beer out of plastic glasses is just wrong (Brooklands Hotel and Shrewsbury Town FC)

Morland - Old Speckled Hen
Wood - Shropshire Lad
Abbeydale - Surreal Ale
Pictish - Northern Brewer
Dr Mortons - Cow Polish
Caledonian - Marching Orders
Boggart Hole Clough - I Am Beer

BOTW Dr Mortons - Cow Polish

Spinko
07-08-2011, 13:48
The 11th. Smarden Beer festival: I dug the family pushbike out of the shed and wobbled down to the Flyer carpark.
Acorn Brewery-Barnsley Bitter. I don't know how this relates to the BB of South Yorkshire myth, but I found it a complex and satisfying session beer.
Acorn Brewery-Old Moor Porter. A lovely dark, lusciuos liqouiricy porter.

Acorn are opening up a brewery tap in Barnsley soon, aren't they?

It's a coin-toss between Maui Big Swell IPA, and Stone Ruination IPA, both of which were had in the Euston Tap. Think the Maui Big Swell just about gets it, and the first time I've had a beer from Hawaii!

oldboots
07-08-2011, 14:14
Acorn are opening up a brewery tap in Barnsley soon, aren't they?

They've bought the "Old No7" in the town centre according to this (http://www.acorn-brewery.co.uk/)

Bucking Fastard
08-08-2011, 09:43
My week consisted of bottled beers apart from a very substandard pint of Pedigree ,so BOTW goes to Badger Golden Glory.The peach and melon aroma didn't detract from a pleasing bitterness and complemented a meat feast barbecue.

oldboots
08-08-2011, 10:04
Two or three condenters this week, a Moorhouses Black Cat in a JDW (!) was absolutely superb as was a pint of Leeds Pale elsewhere but unquestionably BOTW for me is

Roosters White Rose.

Judging by its similarity to some Copper Dragon beers I suspect the hand of the young Fozzard in this one, if that's true then Roosters is in safe hands and hopefully will continue to improve.

Pubsignman
08-08-2011, 10:06
Tempted to go with Thorbridge Kipling again, but instead I'm going to pick Elgood's Black Dog as my BOTW - a lovely smooth drinking dark mild and a reminder that it's not just golden/pale ales that can hit the spot on hot sunny days.

gillhalfpint
08-08-2011, 10:39
Beers this week from Wellington, Anchor, Lamp Tavern, Black Horse, Navigation, Brown Lion and Lord Clifden in Birmingham, GBBF and Bree Louise in London.

Lots of good beers but BOTW is Two Towers Sherborne Wort 5.1% from Brown Lion.

Quinno
08-08-2011, 11:15
Cairngorm Trade Winds at the GBBF

Thuck Phat
08-08-2011, 13:12
A reasonably subdued week with Exmoor Silver Stallion, Mayfields Summer Pilot and a couple of mystery ales at The Merchants in Rugby for judging as Warwickshire ale of the year tried. Nothing to write home about and nothing to touch BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell.

RogerB
10-08-2011, 12:21
Easy one this week - had some pretty mundane beers but the Westerham Hop Rocket at Dartford's Paper Moon was a new one on me and pretty does does what it says on the tin. Really liked this one!

Al 10000
10-08-2011, 14:47
My beer of the week is Blue Monkey BG Sips in the Horse and Jockey in Stapleford

rpadam
10-08-2011, 21:28
Not much beer variety in the French Alps, so my BOTW will be Mützig Old Lager - not great, but powerful stuff (7.3% I think), especially when served in pints at the famous Bar Robinson in Morzine. It's the only draught beer they sell, and the quirky place closes 19:30 in a town when most bars are just starting their 'happy hour'. Just as well really, as even the craziest mountain bikers wouldn't want to drink too many of these...

Alesonly
14-08-2011, 10:35
Late submission Due too being on leave and having a heavy Beer week. :D
It was a toss up between Tring Fanny Ebbs Summer Ale & Hereford Herefordshire Owd Bull so I will go for the Herefordshire Owd Bull

aleandhearty
14-08-2011, 13:55
A very quiet week on the cask beer front, but Otter Amber, tried at The Witchball, Lizard beer festival was the best of those I sampled.

Wittenden
14-08-2011, 18:55
A very quiet week on the cask beer front, but Otter Amber, tried at The Witchball, Lizard beer festival was the best of those I sampled.
This was my BOTW a few weeks back: unusual,made me think about it. Might be in the running for beer of the year.