PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 31 July 2011)

ROBCamra
26-07-2011, 12:20
Spinko: Summer Wine 7C's
Thuck Phat: Brancaster Oystercatcher
gillhalfpint: Penzance Brisons Bitter
Alesonly: Woodfordes Nog
Quinno: Harveys Dark Mild
Bucking Fastard: Dorset Piddle Silent Slasher
Pubsignman: Redemption Hopspur
ROBCamra: Hop Back Hop Medley
Oggwyn Trench: Sadlers Red House Mild

Oggwyn Trench
30-07-2011, 13:52
After 11 days in Greece it was back to the pub last night and some decent beer

Saltaire - Summer Ale
Exmoor - Silver Stallion
Ossett - Santiam
Wentworth - Golden Iris

Ossett Santiam is in the lead at the moment after 11 days of lager it was like nectar

Spinko
30-07-2011, 16:30
Had some good and some very bad ones this week. Went across to the Willows to see Salford v Leeds last night and had canned tetley's poured into a plastic container. That won't be my beer of the week.

Contenders..
Summer Wine - 7 Cs (Port St Beer House)
Brewdog Hardcore IPA (North Bar)
Brewdog 5am Saint (bottle)
Ringwood Boondoggle (Junction Inn, Shipley)
Summer Wine - Valencia (Foley's)

Summer Wine 7Cs wins as not only did I thoroughly enjoy it as I drowned my sorrows from a beating from the Rhinos (at 7% I needed it!), it was also enjoyed by someone who usually drinks lager.

Thuck Phat
31-07-2011, 19:45
A few days in North Norfolk haven't been great on the beer front as the area is almost exclusively dominated by Adnams, Greene King and Woodforde's Wherry. The only honourable exceptions I found were everything from the Fox brewery in Heacham, Woodforde's Nelsons Revenge and BOTW Brancaster Oystercatcher, a pale and well-balanced bitter which at 4.4% seems to improve with drinking. Or maybe that's relief increasing at not having to face another GK IPA.

aleandhearty
31-07-2011, 21:59
Due to some bizarre alignment of the planets, I haven't had an ale or visit to the pub all week. :eek: Somehow I've managed nothing apart from supermarket own brand French stubbies and, as I type, a can of wifebeater. Hopefully, this time tomorrow I'll have had a swift half gallon of something more pleasing in The Castle, St Ives.

Back in two weeks.

gillhalfpint
31-07-2011, 22:07
Not a lot this week as last couple of days spent travelling back home.

Milestone Raspberry Wheat
Tintagel Gull Rock
Wells Courage Directors
Acorn Summit IPA
Penzance Brisons Bitter
Penzance Scilly Stout
Bays Devon Dumpling
Potbelly Streaky

BOTW Penzance Brisons Bitter at the Star, Crowlas.

Alesonly
31-07-2011, 22:38
Below is yesterday evenings session I'm still recovering after a heavy session with a group meet up prior too next weeks GBBF . My best from Memory was the Woodfordes Nog so I will go for that as beer of the week.

HOOK NORTON HAYMAKER
WOODFORDE’S NOG
RINGWOOD OLD THUMPER
JENNINGS SNECK LIFTER
GREENE KING ABBOT RESERVE
THORNBRIDGE JAIPUR INDIA PALE ALE
HARVIESTOUN SCHIEHALLION
CALEDONIAN DOUBLE TWIST
WHITE HORSE GIANT’S STAIRS
HOOK NORTON HAYMAKER

Quinno
31-07-2011, 22:54
Three standouts this week -

Dark Star American Pale Ale at the Evening Star, Brighton
Harveys Dark Mild at the Lord Nelson, Brighton
Purity Gold at the Nags Head, Reading

I'll go for the Harveys Dark Mild, for the uniqueness value.:drinkup:

EDIT - can we have a dark beer option for my chap to *drinkup*?

Bucking Fastard
01-08-2011, 11:04
My BOTW goes to Silent Slasher from the Dorset Piddle Brewery which I had in The Giant Inn,Cerne Abbas while visiting my sister.She is friendly with the new brewer at the Piddle Brewery who lives in the village and was also in The Giant that evening.He is using a lot of American hop varieties in this light golden ale to give a distinct bitter finish to this 5% ABV beer.After finishing one pint ,it just demands a second.

ROBCamra
01-08-2011, 11:12
Dark Star American Pale Ale at the Evening Star, Brighton

I had a pint of this last week in Pivni in York.

I'd just had a pint of Copper Dragon Golden Pippin in the Bay Horse.

The Dark Star tasted exactly the same to me.

This was a bit of a shame as just as we left the Bay Horse I said to Ms CAMRA "I quite like a Golden Pippin, but I don't want another one" :(

Pubsignman
01-08-2011, 13:24
I had my first intoduction to the Magic Rock brewery this week, which I was looking forward to after reading good things about them on these threads. I had a pint of Curious and a half of the kegged Highwire in the Dean Swift yesterday - the Curious was served too warm, but the Highwire was very tasty. I also tried their 6% imperial stout called Dark Arts in the Craft Beer Co, which was very good.

However, BOTW goes to Redemption Hopspur, which was very refreshing on a warm (by this summer's standards) afternoon.

Honorable mentions to Fyne Ales Jarl and Kernel Saison as well.

ROBCamra
01-08-2011, 15:52
Well despite the second day of our York visit falling in this week and a trip to Manchester, it's still a beer tried in Rochdale that wins.

Thornbridge Brother Rabbit was very good in Port Street Beer House.

Great Heck Golden Mane was also good in Judges Lodgings in York whilst sitting in the sunshine on their rooftop patio.

The winner though is going to be Hop Back Hop Medley tried several times at The Baum. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
01-08-2011, 17:23
Finished the week off well

Lymestone - Foundstone
Lymestone - Stone the Crows
Magpie - Thieving Rogue
Sadlers - Hop Bomb
Sadlers - Red House Mild
Ironbridge - Simcoe
Three Tuns - XXX
Joules - Pale Ale
Tring - Lady Lemon
Pot Belly - Pigs Do Fly
Tetley - Bitter

BOTW Sadlers - Red House Mild

RogerB
10-08-2011, 12:28
Late again! The week was pretty hefty with 2 Greenwich sessions and a day in Brighton - tough call with St George Summer Ale at the Evening Star in Brighton just pipping Sadlers Sundown at Brighton's Hand In Hand.