PDA

View Full Version : PG Meet-up 2011

Soup Dragon
25-07-2011, 16:00
Has anyone mooted a PG meet this year?

Bucking Fastard
25-07-2011, 16:47
Sounds like a good idea,would definitely be up for that but would need a bit of lead time.I suppose the location/venue is the big question but maybe that would become more obvious when those interested have shown their hand.With an advanced rail ticket I can get around the country quite easily ,but getting the boat there may take a little longer:)

oldboots
25-07-2011, 21:46
I guess given the demographics we'd be looking at somewhere not much more than two hours north of the north London termini and equally accessible from the Midlands and the North with a good range of real ale pubs. That suggests the WCML or ECML, maybe Derby/Nottingham but both Liverpool and Sheffield are within two and half hours of Euston/St P on a good day and only an hour and a bit from New St.

I realise I could be ignoring those in the far flung south who would have an hour or two to get to KingsX, Euston or St Pancras before breakfast or those northerners who would need about the same time to get into Leeds, York or Manchester.

A little more central could be Leicester or Burton upon Trent or to be more left field........... Peterborough or Stafford.

Like last year November would be good for me should anyone get as far as dates. (Birmingham; 12th November 2010, was the last major "do").

We could of course make it an annual event and alternate between the North, South and Midlands with a once a decade trip to Wales or Scotland or even the Isle of Man;)

RogerB
26-07-2011, 09:40
We've already had a few Southern meet ups this year! I'm certainly up for another national shindig if the date and location is kind to me.

Quinno
26-07-2011, 10:14
We've already had a few Southern meet ups this year! I'm certainly up for another national shindig if the date and location is kind to me.

Likewise. Most of October is a write-off for me though.

Strongers
26-07-2011, 10:49
The later it is in the year the better it will be for me and I'm up for a trip oop there where the sun don't shine.

Farway
26-07-2011, 14:52
Depends where & when of course, but if midlands, like say Watford :D, then somewhere with B & B or nearby Travel lodge where I could rest the bonce as I would stay over

Andy Ven
26-07-2011, 20:36
November is more realistic for me.

If we said Nottingham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/) then Bucking Fastard could moor up his boat and see it from wherever he stands in the pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/large/53988_eee904e1.jpg?w=2)

PaulOfHorsham
26-07-2011, 21:17
November worked for me last time. Later in the year, train companies probably have more scope for cheaper tickets. If anyone gets wind of some good deals, please pass on the news.

gillhalfpint
27-07-2011, 10:15
Later in the year like November probably best for us too.

aleandhearty
27-07-2011, 10:36
I think everyone agreed that last year's meet-up was a great day out. It would be a shame not to make it an annual event. 'oldboots' thoughts pretty much echo my own as far as the logistics of train travel are concerned. To that end, I came up with Derby and Nottingham as provisional venues this year. Bearing in mind the neutrality of the second city, another possibility would be to return to Birmingham again, but visit a completely different set of pubs. However, I appreciate it possibly wouldn't be quite as magical as last year. In any case, nice to see the ball rolling.

Soup Dragon
27-07-2011, 12:34
November would be good for me, i think, assuming i survive the next round of budget cuts. Derby, Burton or Notts sound fine, but Birmingham is a little far when on the 51 bus! i can still hear the screaming kids. :eek:

Bucking Fastard
27-07-2011, 13:42
November is more realistic for me.

If we said Nottingham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/) then Bucking Fastard could moor up his boat and see it from wherever he stands in the pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/large/53988_eee904e1.jpg?w=2)
Thanks for the idea Andy,however I wouldn't be too popular with the punters or management if I arrived there with my coal burning stove going on a cold November evening.:ninja:

Back to the point,a November meet up in Derby,Burton or Nottingham would suit very well.

Gann
27-07-2011, 16:29
To cement a growing trend November is preferable for me also..

Also no problem with Derby, Burton or Nottingham except that Mr fastard's and my track record of getting anywhere by train is currently not good as we almost didn't make Ware last Saturday because some Toe Rag had the copper cable away on the First Capital Connect line to East Herford and we had to resort to replacement buses...
So Boat may be a better option...

Andy Ven
27-07-2011, 21:27
We seem to moving towards a consensus so let me throw in a suggestion and see who agrees (or suggests an alternative):

Nottingham.

Friday 11th November.

Meet up at the VAT & Fiddle (nearest GBG pub to the train station).

RogerB
27-07-2011, 21:46
11 November + Nottingham are both good for me.

sheffield hatter
27-07-2011, 22:01
Although I would prefer Sheffield for the obvious reason, Nottingham in November sounds OK too.

Soup Dragon
27-07-2011, 23:18
We seem to moving towards a consensus so let me throw in a suggestion and see who agrees (or suggests an alternative):

Nottingham.

Friday 11th November.

I have to work on the saturday, but if i can book the day off on friday, should be ok - Andy, we can travel up together?

gillhalfpint
28-07-2011, 08:49
11 Nov at the Vat and Fiddle ok for us too.

Bucking Fastard
28-07-2011, 09:30
11th November in the VAT and fiddle is great for me .Looking forward to it.

RogerB
28-07-2011, 10:07
May look at an overnighter or extended weekend since I haven't done Nottingham to any great extend as a drinker or a tourist! Also, no premier fixtures that weekend. It's also FA Cup 1st round and Burton Albion's new ground is one on my "to do" list so I could do a day in Burton on the Saturday if they get a home draw.

RogerB
28-07-2011, 12:41
Just had a look at potential Nottingham pubs to visit. There's only 23 I have picked out in for my initial list and that's just within half a mile of the station. Looks like advance return fares from London will be around £30/40. Also looked at some hotels - a couple of decent looking central hotels for around £40/50 per night. I think this mightl be 3 or 4 day job for me.

Soup Dragon
28-07-2011, 15:50
Just had a look at potential Nottingham pubs to visit. There's only 23 I have picked out in for my initial list and that's just within half a mile of the station. Looks like advance return fares from London will be around £30/40. Also looked at some hotels - a couple of decent looking central hotels for around £40/50 per night. I think this mightl be 3 or 4 day job for me.

I still have 20+ reviews from Notts to put on. We stopped in a big central hotel, near the station, Roger - it was fine - will find out what it was and let you know. Burton's new ground is so much better than the old - i went to the old ground when they were playing Hereford in the Conference and there was punch-up between the fans - can't remember who i saw at the new ground without checking my programme collection!

Are Conrad and Dave coming? and what will be on the T-Shirts this year?

RogerB
28-07-2011, 16:22
I still have 20+ reviews from Notts to put on. We stopped in a big central hotel, near the station, Roger - it was fine - will find out what it was and let you know. Burton's new ground is so much better than the old - i went to the old ground when they were playing Hereford in the Conference and there was punch-up between the fans - can't remember who i saw at the new ground without checking my programme collection!

Are Conrad and Dave coming? and what will be on the T-Shirts this year?

I've got the Days Hotel and Jury's Inn on the radar. Just waiting for the cheap train tickets to kick in and then I'll see about booking something. I went to Burton's old ground in the 80's when Dartford played them in the FA Trophy semi final. It was er, quaint! With 5 'Spoons in Nottingham I won't be short of my customary breakfasts for a few days either!

Soup Dragon
28-07-2011, 16:55
I've got the Days Hotel and Jury's Inn on the radar. Just waiting for the cheap train tickets to kick in and then I'll see about booking something. I went to Burton's old ground in the 80's when Dartford played them in the FA Trophy semi final. It was er, quaint! With 5 'Spoons in Nottingham I won't be short of my customary breakfasts for a few days either!

Jury's Inn, that was it!

Fine, but massive queues at the check-in (hotels galore, here i come)

I will check out times of choo choos and what Andy Ven is doing, hopefully he will drive and just have a half:D

Andy Ven
28-07-2011, 20:34
I will check out times of choo choos and what Andy Ven is doing, hopefully he will drive and just have a half:D

I'll drive your car but I may have several halves so we can leave your car there and get the train back to Walsall and then you can fetch it when you're not working :)

On the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year two thousand and eleven - should we meet up at eleven minutes past eleven? No chance of us forgetting the time and date then

aleandhearty
28-07-2011, 20:35
We seem to moving towards a consensus...Nottingham....Friday 11th November.

Sounds good to me.

...what will be on the T-Shirts this year?

How about Sherwood Like a Beer (Tour?) 2011?

trainman
28-07-2011, 22:02
There's only 23 I have picked out in for my initial list and that's just within half a mile of the station.
Bloody Hell Roger, if a place has a licence it must go on your list. I can't think beyond V&F plus Newshouse nr station, but could spend all day in either.

Nottingham &, ahem, Beeston (at least Victoria & Crown) is great for beer & I'll deffo be up for it if circumstances allow.
I shall be touring with some good Burghers of that locale this weekend... in Sheffield!

Seems to be a gap in the footy calendar that wwekend, but can't see owt listed for Eng-er-land either?

oldboots
29-07-2011, 09:39

Nottingham.

Friday 11th November.

Sounds good to me too.

A&H - Direct trains from Leeds £20.40 cheap day return via Sheffield only. The 10:05 looks best arriving Nottingham 12:02 - Northern Fail allowing :D

aleandhearty
29-07-2011, 14:55
A&H - Direct trains from Leeds £20.40 cheap day return via Sheffield only. The 10:05 looks best arriving Nottingham 12:02 - Northern Fail allowing :D

Not had chance to do any research yet, but that sounds like the one! Will fine tune nearer the time, to pair up en route at some stage.

Oggwyn Trench
30-07-2011, 13:59
Not back to work till Monday , but all of November was free before i went on Holiday (we are only allowed one person off at a time) so i should be able to make it :pray:

ROBCamra
30-07-2011, 14:14
Hopefully I can make this one as well. A rather long train journey gets me there at 12:30 (and the V & F at 12:31) :p

I can then get back on the 18:45 from Nottingham. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
01-08-2011, 17:30
November 11 is fine with me , i have booked the week off to make sure , though after last year i maybe should have booked the week after off for recovery:D

gillhalfpint
22-08-2011, 14:11
Just checking this is still on for Nottingham on 11.11.11? Will be getting my train ticket tomorrow and just want to check first.

Cheers.

sheffield hatter
22-08-2011, 15:12
Just checking this is still on for Nottingham on 11.11.11? Will be getting my train ticket tomorrow and just want to check first.

Likewise. There are some really cheap fares available right now, so don't want to miss them. I'm certainly planning on going if others still are - probably arriving on the 12.30.

Cheers

gillhalfpint
22-08-2011, 15:30
9.49 from Birmingham New St gets in 11.05, and the 10.49 at 12.05.

With our railcards price quoting at £19.80 for the 2 of us. If most are going to arrive after 12.00 we will aim for the 10.49 train.

Oggwyn Trench
22-08-2011, 16:37
9.49 from Birmingham New St gets in 11.05, and the 10.49 at 12.05.

With our railcards price quoting at £19.80 for the 2 of us. If most are going to arrive after 12.00 we will aim for the 10.49 train.

I will catch the 9.51 from Telford and then the 10.49 from New Street so i will see you on the train .
It works out cheaper for me to buy a Telford-Birmingham return then a Birmingham-Nottingham return rather than a Telford - Nottingham ticket works out about a fiver cheaper or 2 pints at local prices

gillhalfpint
22-08-2011, 16:47
That's getting priorities right - savings in terms of pints.

oldboots
22-08-2011, 17:31
My plan is to get the 10:05 from Leeds arriving Nottingham at 12:02, but it is a Northern Fail train :whistle: I guess A&H would get the same one if he is going?
(Cheap day return Leeds/Nottingham is £20.40 hence the 10:05 train)

My last train out of Nottingham is the 19:15, unless I want to walk 12 miles at the far end :eek:

aleandhearty
25-08-2011, 19:25
My plan is to get the 10:05 from Leeds arriving Nottingham at 12:02, but it is a Northern Fail train :whistle: I guess A&H would get the same one if he is going?

Sounds like a cunning plan. Will fine tune nearer the time.

trainman
26-08-2011, 12:57
(Cheap day return Leeds/Nottingham is £20.40 hence the 10:05 train)

My last train out of Nottingham is the 19:15, unless I want to walk 12 miles at the far end :eek:

Two hours train Leeds-Nottingham! Train travel, 73 miles; that's just crazy!!
If you wanted to risk a quickie in Sheffield tap you could break the journey for an extra 40p, but probably not worth it.
Leeds:Sheff, Sheff:Nott 10:11-10:51, 11:05-12:02

I hope to join this jaunt. Friends are investigating a new Blue Monkey pub (http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/about/the-organ-grinder) there this weekend, and I haven't been to the Magpie yet.

Bucking Fastard
26-08-2011, 13:25
Friends are investigating a new Blue Monkey pub (http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/about/the-organ-grinder) there this weekend, and I haven't been to the Magpie yet.

I was hoping to get along to The Organ Grinder sometime on 11/11,as I have really enjoyed Blue Monkey beers when up in this part of the world.Interested how your friends visit goes.

I will probably take the 10.15 from St Pancras arriving at 11.59,then return south on the 19.28 after what should be an excellent days drinking.

ROBCamra
26-08-2011, 13:40
Friends are investigating a new Blue Monkey pub (http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/about/the-organ-grinder) there this weekend

We shall be in the Organ Grinder this weekend as well. Probably Sunday afternoon, combined with the Hand & Heart and probably the Sir John Borlase Warren along with a lot more. :cheers:

trainman
26-08-2011, 14:22
We shall be in the Organ Grinder this weekend as well. Probably Sunday afternoon, combined with the Hand & Heart and probably the Sir John Borlase Warren along with a lot more. :cheers:

True commitment to the PuG cause - a pre-tour tour, for recky purposes. It's a tough job, but...

ROBCamra
26-08-2011, 14:42
True commitment to the PuG cause

Or possibly a good deal from Holiday Inn booked before the 11/11 destination was agreed. :D

I know Nottingham quite well anyway having spent quite a bit of time at the Mags Court, CPS building and the Police HQ at Arnold.

Andy Ven
26-08-2011, 21:35
I know Nottingham quite well anyway having spent quite a bit of time at the Mags Court, CPS building and the Police HQ at Arnold.

You never made it to HMP Nottingham then ? ;)

Andy Ven
26-08-2011, 21:38
I will catch the 9.51 from Telford and then the 10.49 from New Street so i will see you on the train

Soup and I will be on the 10.49 too.

gillhalfpint
27-08-2011, 08:19
Beginning to wonder if we can book a carriage on the 10.49 from New Sttreet. Are we all meeting under the clock behind the barriers?

We are in Nottingham a few days for the fest and may (just may) take time out from the fest to have a look round some of the pubs nearby. Haven't been to some of the new ones on the scene yet, and would like to do the Blue Monkey pub.

Gann
27-08-2011, 09:17
I will probably take the 10.15 from St Pancras arriving at 11.59,then return south on the 19.28 after what should be an excellent days drinking.

Right, Although there's still some possibility that I will be thwarted, as November is a busy travel month usually and I could have a long haul trip imposed at short notice, I've waded in an booked the train.

I went for the option above as well Mr Fastard, as it fits with getting into London and seems to be the cheapest option.
The best deal I got was on the EastMidlands own website which was £30 standard return, which was cheaper than raileasy and trainline.com.
When you go to book it it offers a First Class Upgrade for an extra £4, which for the price of a pint in EC1 I thought was well worth it.
So First Class return ticket for £34 and I'm in Coach g if you are interested.

Quinno
27-08-2011, 20:04
Just to let you all know that I am hoping to attend - hopefully can book the day off next week when am back from hols :)

Andy Ven
28-08-2011, 21:43
Adult Off-Peak Day return is £15 per adult from Brum to Nottingham with Cross Country Trains. (The train originates in Cardiff and calls at Tamworth, Burton and Derby en route) I've booked mine but seat reservations were not an option - there'll be a seat for me somewhere. I have Gill's and Soupy's mobile number. Anyone else travelling through Birmingham just drop me a PM if you want to contact me on the day.

For info: Off peak means leaving Birmingham from 9.30 onwards, return any time after 6.30pm.

Oggwyn Trench
28-08-2011, 23:34
Looking at it Telford to Nottingham is £29.80 return but Telford to Birmingham is £9 return then £15 for Brum to Nottingham so saving me £5.80 or 2 pints and a big bag of scratchings :D

aleandhearty
29-08-2011, 13:47
Two hours train Leeds-Nottingham! Train travel, 73 miles; that's just crazy!!

Agreed it's not ideal 'tm', but half the price of the inter-city alternative. That's a decent amount of beer.

Bucking Fastard
30-08-2011, 11:33
I could have a long haul trip imposed at short notice,

So First Class return ticket for £34 and I'm in Coach g if you are interested.

Hope work doesnt rear it's ugly head to disturb your plans for 11/11.As I needed to tack on the journey to and from St Margarets ,I wasnt able to access the first class option ,so I'm in the cheap seats .On the way back I will probably be fast asleep .......

trainman
30-08-2011, 13:53
Agreed it's not ideal 'tm', but half the price of the inter-city alternative. That's a decent amount of beer.
I didn't notice any alternative, other than the broken journey I mentioned. Maybe I'm losing my touch.

RogerB
31-08-2011, 12:27
I'm all booked up - decided just to go for just the day in the end since I have quite a lot on around then. Leaving St Pancras at 9.15am - arrive Nottingham 10.59. Probably head for the Company Inn for brekky and then I'm available for hire for the day until leaving Nottingham 21.02pm getting back in London at 23.01 not that I'll know much about it.

Soup Dragon
06-09-2011, 00:28
has anyone got an idea of an itinerary for the Nottingham trip?

oldboots
06-09-2011, 08:39
has anyone got an idea of an itinerary for the Nottingham trip?

Meet-up is the Vat & Fiddle, the other current GBG pubs in the city centre are:

Cross Keys
Dragon
Hand & Heart
Kean's Head
King William IV
Lincolnshire Poacher
Rose of England
Round House
Salutation Inn

I'll leave it to those who know Nottingham to weed out the best and suggest others.

ROBCamra
06-09-2011, 08:57
Meet-up is the Vat & Fiddle, the other current GBG pubs in the city centre are:

Cross Keys
Dragon
Hand & Heart
Kean's Head
King William IV
Lincolnshire Poacher
Rose of England
Round House
Salutation Inn

I'll leave it to those who know Nottingham to weed out the best and suggest others.

If you take in Hand & Heart then Organ Grinder is a must.

Ye Olde Trip, Bell & Canal House are all must visits for decor and the beer was good last week as well.

Newshouse is a decent pub as a wildcard as is Bunkers Hill Tavern in Hockley (on edge of the Lace Market).

King Bill, Rose & Lincolnshire Poacher are a bit out of the centre.

Dragon only had Adnams on last week which was just OK.

gillhalfpint
06-09-2011, 09:56
Ye Olde Trip is a must for anyone who hasn't had a wander round the place, but it only had Greene King last time I was there, and it was returned as it was not drinkable at all. Iffy beer but wonderful place.

I love Hand and Heart, and want to get into the Organ Grinder as I have heard so much about it. Been to a lot on the list given, so happy to follow where those new to Nottingham want to go.

RogerB
06-09-2011, 10:01
Olde Trip and Canal House are must do's for me as I have read so much about the pubs - if they have good beer then even better. Vat & Fiddle, Salutaion, Hand & Heart, Cross Keys, Keans Head, Newshouse and Bunkers Hill were all on my list. Didn't know about the Organ Grinder or the Round House but sound good to me. Also had the Cock and Hoop, Bell and Malt Cross down but I suspect they will be in my Plan B list for another day.

trainman
07-09-2011, 09:13
I've never had Dragon, Rose of England, Cross Keys or Bunkers Hill on my list, nor have they been mentioned by my Nottingham pals. Keans Head is only ok in my book & eclipsed by Newshouse.
Personally, I would categorically recommend the 5min train to Beeston for the Vic (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58181/) & (relatively recently renaissanced) Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62675/).
The Magpie would be a nice-to-do as a brewery tap, but sufficiently off-route to be unlikely. I'll try to to mop it up on my trial run 15Oct.
For any with more than a day (or another day), I'd also propose the Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58417/) in Radford (5min bus) - brewery tap for Nottingham Brewery.

ROBCamra
07-09-2011, 09:23
I've never had Dragon, Rose of England, Cross Keys or Bunkers Hill on my list, nor have they been mentioned by my Nottingham pals. Keans Head is only ok in my book & eclipsed by Newshouse.
Personally, I would categorically recommend the 5min train to Beeston for the Vic (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58181/) & (relatively recently renaissanced) Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62675/).
The Magpie would be a nice-to-do as a brewery tap, but sufficiently off-route to be unlikely. I'll try to to mop it up on my trial run 15Oct.
For any with more than a day (or another day), I'd also propose the Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58417/) in Radford (5min bus) - brewery tap for Nottingham Brewery.

Been in The Dragon, Bunkers Hill & Cross Keys in the last 10 days and would recommend the last two.

Keans Head beer is better than in the Newshouse at the moment.

I personally think we'll struggle to get round the Notts central pubs never mind bus/train rides out.

I even missed a couple out when we were there for 2 days & nights. :(

trainman
07-09-2011, 09:36
Been in The Dragon, Bunkers Hill & Cross Keys in the last 10 days and would recommend the last two.

Ok, I'm on the case.

Keans Head beer is better than in the Newshouse at the moment.

Unless Newshouse is having a poor patch on beer quality, this mystifies me.

I personally think we'll struggle to get round the Notts central pubs never mind bus/train rides out.

Agreed, but it seems a shame for anyone who hasn't been to miss out on (imho) a star like the Vic, which knocks Olde Trip, Canal House, Bell, combined, into a cocked hat. Hold on, hold on, easy there, I do understand the unique attractions of at least the first two of those, but...

ROBCamra
07-09-2011, 11:49
I will have about 6 hours in Nottingham. To me that sounds like a maximum of 12 pubs including walking, more likely 10.

Suggested route would be

Vat & Fiddle
Canalhouse
Olde Trip To Jerusalem
Round House
Bell
Salutation
Cross Keys
Cock & Hoop – optional
Keans Head
Bunkers Hill Inn
Newshouse

Optional add on between Round House & The Bell

Hand & Heart
Organ Grinder

The add on would take at least an hour with the walk up to Canning Circus & back. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
07-09-2011, 20:21
I am happy to go with the flow and trust the judgement of those who know the area best , my only visit to Nottingham was a gig at Rockcity(Stone Sour and Saliva for those who are intrested) a few years back and apart from the gig all i can remember is the bloody confusing roads around the city centre :confused:

Millay
08-09-2011, 08:59
I'm not sure about this one, it's a long journey back after a load of beer but I may make it. I'm considering making a weekend of it, maybe staying in Derby as I've not been there for a while. I could then do the Beeston trip as recommended by Trainman.

I'll let you know but right now I have Hong Kong on my mind, leaving tomorrow.

Cheers

trainman
08-09-2011, 12:31
I know we need fewer, rather than extra suggestions, but this one just txtd in from local (actually local's missus). New to me...
http://www.theapproachnottingham.com/s_beers.asp

ROBCamra
08-09-2011, 12:35
I know we need fewer, rather than extra suggestions, but this one just txtd in from local (actually local's missus). New to me...
http://www.theapproachnottingham.com/s_beers.asp

Yep, been there, done that, reviewed it, as have Al & Gill. It's a decent pub, but mainly a venue for live bands (almost every night).

Dead as a post during the day. Discount for CAMRA members as well. Dropped from GBG2012 though.

I personally don't think it's worth dropping any of other suggestions made so far to accomodate this one.

But no doubt negotiations will continue. :p

Bucking Fastard
09-09-2011, 14:53
I will have about 6 hours in Nottingham. To me that sounds like a maximum of 12 pubs including walking, more likely 10.

Suggested route would be

Vat & Fiddle
Canalhouse
Olde Trip To Jerusalem
Round House
Bell
Salutation
Cross Keys
Cock & Hoop – optional
Keans Head
Bunkers Hill Inn
Newshouse

Hand & Heart
Organ Grinder

The add on would take at least an hour with the walk up to Canning Circus & back. :cheers:

That does sound like an excellent tour ,with a true excess of outstanding boozers.I would be up for the add on to The Organ Grinder but that might render me less able to appreciate the last few on the list.:nishelypished:

ROBCamra
09-09-2011, 15:17
That does sound like an excellent tour ,with a true excess of outstanding boozers.I would be up for the add on to The Organ Grinder but that might render me less able to appreciate the last few on the list.:nishelypished:

As I mentioned I've only got 6 hours as I can't get there until 12:30, some have quite a bit longer.

I went in all these pubs two weeks ago, so I've no problem with going up to the Hand & Heart and Organ Grinder as they're both good pubs. It does mean that I'll be missing out the Lace Market/Hockley part of the crawl to get my train, but that's fine as well. :cheers:

Al 10000
25-09-2011, 17:08

Suggested route would be

Vat & Fiddle
Canalhouse
Olde Trip To Jerusalem
Round House
Bell
Salutation
Cross Keys
Cock & Hoop – optional
Keans Head
Bunkers Hill Inn
Newshouse

Hand & Heart
Organ Grinder

For those of you who are going on the PG Meet up i think Robs list looks decent enough,the only pub i dont like on the list is the Cock and Hoop.

Here are a few more decent pubs for the people who like going in a few more pubs than most.

Fellows,Morton and Clayton is next door to the Canalhouse and there are 9 real ales on the bar.

The Dragon is just up from the Bell and has 3 well kept beers on the Adnams beers are permanent and very well kept.

I know Rob does'nt like this pub but i visit it whenever in Nottingham and i like it,The Gate House this is just up from the Dragon and only a short walk to the Hand and Heart. There were 3 real ales on here on Tuesay all from Nottinghamshire brewerys.

The Hawksley is next door to the Hand and Heart i think it is worth a quick visit as there are usually 3 or 4 real ales on here.

At canning circus there is also the Rope Walk this pub usually has 3 or 4 real ales on and it is opposite the Sir John Borlace Warren which is also worth a visit this is an Everards tied house with about 8 real ales on.

There are many more decent pubs in Nottingham and if anyone stays over West Bridgeford is well worth a vist this has got a lot of decent real ales pubs and bars.

If you look at my reviews of pubs in Nottingham most of these still stand the only one that is now out of date is the Royal Children on a recent visit there was only Bombadier on the bar.

I hope this helps some of the more adventerous drinkers who like to visit lots of pubs like myself.

trainman
28-09-2011, 08:00
Booked this morning, train via my old chums at megabus - £5 out, £1 back! Arr noon, dep 20:00.
Could still be some deals to be had there if any others are travelling from London...

gillhalfpint
04-10-2011, 23:52
I thought I might get a look round some of the pubs in advance of our meeting up, but have just got the Nottingham fest list, and although we are there 4 nights, reckon all 3 days will be at the fest.

20 breweries new to me is my aim for Thursday, then there are plenty of others on the brilliant list to tackle Friday and Saturday.

Dave M
07-10-2011, 13:33
Right 5 weeks to go and I've finally got round to working out transport.

I'm going to be on the National Express coach due to arrive in Birmingham at 10:20 (optimistic I fear). Assuming it does make it on time and I manage to dash from the coach station to New Street quickly enough then I hope to make it onto the same train (10:49) as Andy, Soup, Gill and Oggwyn. If not I guess I'll be in Nottingham about half an hour after most others.

Andy Ven
07-10-2011, 21:27
Glad you can make it.

Conrad has my mobile number - feel free to text or phone to find out where we are sitting

Dave M
07-10-2011, 23:44
Thanks. You may end up getting a call from me as I get completely lost in the Bull Ring whilst trying to find New Street!

Andy Ven
09-10-2011, 19:40
Thanks. You may end up getting a call from me as I get completely lost in the Bull Ring whilst trying to find New Street!

If you go in the Bull Ring you're going out of your way. What time does your coach arrive? If you want me to meet you at Digbeth coach station I can help you hot-foot it to New Street via the quickest route

Dave M
10-10-2011, 17:08
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I've bothered to have a good look at a map now and think I should be able to make it fairly easily.

Andy Ven
11-10-2011, 12:58
Exit the coach station onto Digbeth and turn left. Continue with the traffic (in a left then right chicane movement across the top of Bradford Street) up Moat Lane with the fruit market on your left and St Martins Church in front of you.

At the end of the market stalls turn left and walk along the paved Edgbaston Street passing two indoor market buildings and a few more Friday market stalls on your left and Wagamama, Ladbrokes, Supersavers?, Sports World, New Look and the back entrance to Debenhams on your right. After passing Debenhams you will come to a cylindrical-shaped staircase with windows around the outside and glass bricks around the inside.

Go up the stairs and exit onto Smallbrook Queensway, turning right. Take the pedestrian crossing across to the station, passing TK Maxx on your left and then proceeding through the car park/taxi rank to the station entrance (yuk!).

Pass through the barriers and onto the main concourse to get down to the platform.

Quinno
25-10-2011, 13:37
Leaving St Pancras at 9.15am - arrive Nottingham 10.59...leaving Nottingham 21.02pm getting back in London at 23.01 not that I'll know much about it.

I have just booked myself onto the same set of trains, so between the two of us we can muddle through!

Andy Ven
02-11-2011, 21:17
Just doing a headcount ahead of Friday next week. I make it we have these confirmed distinguished attendees:

Roger B
Sheffield Hatter
Gillhalfpint + Mr Halfpint
Soup Dragon
Bucking Fastard
Aleandhearty
Trainman
Old Boots
Oggwyn Trench
Rob CAMRA
Gann
Quinno
Dave M
Andy Ven

any more?

RogerB
02-11-2011, 21:32
I've been called many things in the past but rarely "distinguished"!

oldboots
03-11-2011, 08:30
I've been called many things in the past but rarely "distinguished"!

me neither, I think Andy means "extinguished"

RogerB
03-11-2011, 08:58
me neither, I think Andy means "extinguished"

I think he was probably trying to say "disguised".

Andy Ven
03-11-2011, 20:45
I think he was probably trying to say "disguised".

or disgusting ...... ;)

Thuck Phat
04-11-2011, 20:07
Hope to make it - unsure as to whether to be disguised, disgusting or extinguished. Maybe all three on a good day.

RogerB
10-11-2011, 12:20
Early night everyone - we want everyone on top form tomorrow. Looking forward to it immensley.

PS Dave - short notice but can you bring some of the PG business cards if there any left - I ran out ages ago and they do come in handy.

Gann
10-11-2011, 12:41
Early night everyone - we want everyone on top form tomorrow. Looking forward to it immensley.

It's not the night I am worried about, as historically me and public transport have not got on for big events..
And after ducking several requested business trips and investigating heavily in the wife's emotional bank account to allow me out to play I'm expecting one last surprise from Midland for example... Lets hope not !

Dave M
10-11-2011, 13:11

PS Dave - short notice but can you bring some of the PG business cards if there any left - I ran out ages ago and they do come in handy.
No problem, I'm going to be bringing plenty so anyone who wants some should just grab me tomorrow.

I also have one XL t-shirt left if someone fancies it.

ROBCamra
10-11-2011, 20:16
Looks like mine will be the last train to arrive at 12:30.

So if those who have been at the V & F since about 11 want to move on that's fine by me.

A&H, OB & Quinno all have my mobile number so just tell me where you are.

If anybody is drinking the excellent Castle Rock beers don't forget to ask for your "One Over The Eight" sticker.

If you don't want them I'll have them. :D

Mind you as we're going in 3 or 4 Castle Rock pubs Roger may get a free pint on the day. ;)

Andy Ven
10-11-2011, 20:37
Four of us are arriving on the train from Birmingham at about 12.15, with Soup D half an hour behind us, so I doubt we'll be going anywhere before 1.00.

I take it that someone will be bringing a camera for various pub photos and the obligatory group shot?

RogerB
10-11-2011, 21:20
1.00? I'll have done half the city by 1.00! I will have a camera but I fancy things may get a bit blurry during the day.

Oggwyn Trench
10-11-2011, 21:35
All ready for tomorrow , i picked up the train tickets today , phones on charge and i even got me hair cut :eek:
Should be in New Street at 10 26 to meet up with Andy and Gill (Soupy late again , he was 5 pints late last year:D)
Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again and meeting a few new faces , see you tomorrow:cheers::drinkup:

Gann
10-11-2011, 22:06
Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again and meeting a few new faces:

Talking of new faces, that reminds me to warn the few people who I have previously met that I will be sporting a decent attempt at an 11 day old top lip slug tomorrow in ai of Movember.
Just in case anyones of a nervous disposition..

Oggwyn Trench
10-11-2011, 22:15
Talking of new faces, that reminds me to warn the few people who I have previously met that I will be sporting a decent attempt at an 11 day old top lip slug tomorrow in ai of Movember.
Just in case anyones of a nervous disposition..

I managed a decent Jason King:cool:(albeit ginger) untill the Mrs threatened to withdraw certain services :Dunless i shaved it off :moremad:

Millay
11-11-2011, 06:46
Regrettably I'm not going to be able to make this meet-up but I hope you all have a good day :cheers:

Dave M
11-11-2011, 07:20
Right, just about to head out, will hopefully see you all in about 5 hours time assuming all goes well with public transport.

Safe journeys everyone.

Wittenden
11-11-2011, 07:57
Have a good day, y'all.

gillhalfpint
11-11-2011, 08:03
Leaving at 9 to get to New St as I want to see them about London tickets with London Midland offer if I can before we go.

Looking forward to a good day.

Gill.

Oggwyn Trench
11-11-2011, 08:06
Bloody 45 minute delay on the trains through Wolverhampton:moremad: will have to catch the earlier train and miss breakfast , try and grab something at New Street

Dave M
11-11-2011, 08:35
My coach has just left Bristol bang on time. 1 hour 50 minutes to Brum seems optimistic to me but hopefully I'm in with a chance of making the 10:49 from New St

Pubsignman
11-11-2011, 10:29
Very disappointed to miss the big meet-up for a second time - third time lucky next year maybe? Hope you all have a great day and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Dave M
11-11-2011, 10:32
Still on said coach after 2 hours. Sat nav is saying another 6 minutes. This could be close but I may well be on the tardy train with soupy.

Dave M
11-11-2011, 12:13
Arrived at the Vat & Fiddle on time. Beer!

Gann
12-11-2011, 09:27
Isn’t it bloody marvellous, the kids grow up and leave home for Uni, so you can look forward to good lay-in after a decent session only to find that the ‘trouble’ has a 9.00AM Netball game and pokes you out of bed demanding tea and breakfast whilst she gets ready, with all the usually sympathy from your partner who considers your current state to be self inflicted and therefore not worthy of consideration..

So consequently looks like I find myself first up today and let me be the first to say thanks to the organisers of a great day yesterday.
Was really good to meet you all and put faces to the handles..
The curse of public transport struck me again last night and due to St Pancreas trains being cancelled when we arrived at the station myself and Mr Fastard had to divert via Birmingham New St and Euston to reach final destination.
And I hope the lost souls from Leeds and Birmingham who we unexpectedly met up again on the station due to missing their trains arrived home safely as well.
And especially a big interest to Dave M to find out if he managed to get his coach connection from somewhere in Birmingham.

And just to kick things off, although hazy due to it being late in the day, but I do remember correctly there being some dispute over Trainman’s claims of there being an old ancient beam in the front bar of the Bell Inn. And do I correctly recall, when Trainman demanded of the barmaid in the front bar to where said beam was so that we could all touch it, she denied any knowledge but proclaimed we could touch her as she was the oldest barmaid in the Bell ?

Millay
12-11-2011, 09:28
Hope you all enjoyed the day and got home safely.

Bit quiet around here this morning ;)

Oggwyn Trench
12-11-2011, 09:30
Well a good days drinking with good beer , decent pubs , great company and bloody useless trains , hope everyone got home OK

gillhalfpint
12-11-2011, 09:45
We had a great time and made some new friends. Will echo the good company, pubs and beer and love these away day meet ups. Had no problem with our train till it stood outside New St over 15 mins waiting for a platform with apologies to anyone missing connections who should go to customer services. I think some must have missed their last trains but we were lucky and found the local train already on the adjoining platform to get home. Going to have a laugh now and see how the photos came out.

RogerB
12-11-2011, 09:54
Super day with a few of the country's essential pubs now firmly ticked off. I think the day's tally for me was 13 pints in 12 pubs. Now just got to try and work out what photos were where and who was who again! Good to see old and new faces and everyone seemed to last the pace. Managed to get back to St Pancras in one piece this time even though the train indicator board said it was going to Lincoln. Already looking forward to next year!

And isn't it great that today is only Saturday!

Soup Dragon
12-11-2011, 10:03
A great day, really enjoyed it. Always good to catch up with people. Now i have to write up the reviews!

trainman
12-11-2011, 10:04
but I do remember correctly there being some dispute over Trainman’s claims of there being an old ancient beam in the front bar of the Bell Inn. And do I correctly recall, when Trainman demanded of the barmaid in the front bar to where said beam was so that we could all touch it, she denied any knowledge but proclaimed we could touch her as she was the oldest barmaid in the Bell ?

Hahaha!!! The beam surely must exist as it featured in a review from '08 (conclusive!), but if we have to go round touching barmaids instead, so be it...

Sorry for those who had transport difficulties; my train was just a few mins late into StP, meaning I missed the last connection to Tulse Hill, but that simply meant a diversion to the Euston Tap before a bus home. I vaguely recall being surprised that W.Norwood's Hope had stopped serving (thank goodness), before realising that it was 12:30 already. Yikes!

Great turnout & great company everyone.

Oggwyn Trench
12-11-2011, 10:16
Heads fine this morning , no doubt helped by being sobered up by the biblical deluge that greeted me as i arrived in Oakengates , bloody soaked:D
Only real problem is my shins and calves are a bit sore , can we go somewhere flat next year:pray::D

ROBCamra
12-11-2011, 10:52
bloody soaked:D

The biblical downpour also greeted me when I got back into Manchester. Bloody soaked as well. :mad:

Train was nearly on time, but what sort of deluded numpties (this means you East Midland Trains) put a two carriage train on when it's Friday evening and the train calls at Sheffield, Manchester & Liverpool!!!:moremad:

I just managed to get a seat, but there were people standing up all the way to Sheffield, after that it got really busy and the aisles were crowded all the way to Manchester.

What a way to run a railway.:muppet:

oldboots
12-11-2011, 10:57
Another bit of my dodgy map reading left Ale & Hearty and myself struggling to find the station and consequently missed our train, the compensation being we managed a quick one in the Sheffield Tap while waiting for a Leeds bound train. Not so great was the £25 taxi fare I had to cough up as I missed the last bus as well, at least her indoors didn't blacken my eye as she had threatened if I woke her up;).

All in all a great day out and looking forward to the next. If I've read my notes correctly it was 10 pints in 9 pubs for me.

PS we will sort out a Liverpool crawl one of these days.

Soup Dragon
12-11-2011, 11:14
PS we will sort out a Liverpool crawl one of these days.

Defo - especially as we have local guides in Fiona and her chap that simply writes down all her notes - what was his name again? I am sure he was there yesterday. Seriously Ray, i think you should change your profile name to include the fact that really 'you' are in fact a team - 'Double Raymond' should work wonders i think.

ROB - is your frequent poster award a symbol for a bag of chips?

gillhalfpint
12-11-2011, 12:05
We would be up for Liverpool too. Ray and Fiona would be great guides, and there are so many classic pubs worth a visit in Liverpool.

We managed about 20 on our last visit, but you really do have to be downing them quickly to get around that many. It's getting comfy v hitting the pubs and I'm afraid my poor Ray didn't get too comfy in many of the pubs before we were off and running again. Great city to run round though.

ROBCamra
12-11-2011, 12:25
ROB - is your frequent poster award a symbol for a bag of chips?

I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was a blueberry muffin. :p

Strongers
12-11-2011, 12:39
I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was a blueberry muffin. :p

If you zoom in close it looks like it says spam on the side.

Dave M
12-11-2011, 12:47
What a great day out, good to catch up with everyone and visit some pretty decent pubs.

By my count I made it to 9 pubs and drunk 5 and a half pints, a fair bit by my standards!

And especially a big interest to Dave M to find out if he managed to get his coach connection from somewhere in Birmingham.

Yeah I was fairly confident about it, the fact that the biblical rain had reached Birmingham at that time didn't help me a lot though. I ran to where I thought I needed to be, found there were no coach stops, got out my phone and found I'd gone too far! I did then make it back to the actual stop with about 3 minutes to spare before the coach was due. The fact that it then turned up 45 minutes late didn't impress me. Eventually got home at about 1:30.

she denied any knowledge but proclaimed we could touch her as she was the oldest barmaid in the Bell ?
I'm sure she made some suggestive remark to me and Ray, wish I could remember what though.

Now i have to write up the reviews!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts of the twigs in the Ropewalk. :twigs:

Soup Dragon
12-11-2011, 13:58
:twigs:

I thought it was a bunch of twigs in the corner, mate - until Real Ale Ray pointed out that they were in fact the clientele!:twigs:

Andy Ven
12-11-2011, 13:59
The roll of honour:

Gill Smith and Mr Halfpint
Real Ale Ray and Fiona
Rob Camra
Old Boots!
Trainman
Bucking Fastard
Quinno
Oggwyn Trench
Soup Dragon
Andy Ven
Dave M
Sheffield Hatter
Ale and Hearty
Roger B
Gann

By my reckoning we went to:
The VAT and Fiddle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31141/)
Canalhouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/)
Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30804/)
Round House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71346/)
Hand and Heart (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/)
Ropewalk (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58139/)
Organ Grinder (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31061/)
Sir John Borlase Warren (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31092/)
Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30823/)
Ye Olde Salutation Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31086/)
Fellows Morton and Clayton (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30896/)
Newshouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31005/)

oldboots
12-11-2011, 16:53
I thought it was a bunch of twigs in the corner, mate - until Real Ale Ray pointed out that they were in fact the clientele!:twigs:

A poor quality picture but you get the gist, "Soupy takes some notes about the twigs"

ROBCamra
12-11-2011, 19:31
If you zoom in close it looks like it says spam on the side.

If I look in my Experience tab, it is indeed a tin of Spam.

Bucking Fastard
12-11-2011, 20:03
It's not the night I am worried about, as historically me and public transport have not got on for big events..
I'm expecting one last surprise from East Midland for example... Lets hope not !

The curse of Gann struck again,but it sounds like everyone got home in one piece,if a little lighter in the pocket.Great to see some old faces again and meet some new ones.Award for the furthest distance travelled to Nottingham must surely go to Real Ale Ray and Fiona,all the way from central Ireland and using Ryan Air:notworthy:

Looking forward to the next meet up,and hopefully will catch up with many of you in between as I slowly chug around the inland waterways.

Cheers:cheers:

sheffield hatter
12-11-2011, 22:28
By my reckoning we went to:
The VAT and Fiddle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31141/)
Canalhouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53988/)
Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30804/)
Round House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71346/)
Hand and Heart (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/)
Ropewalk (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58139/)
Organ Grinder (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31061/)
Sir John Borlase Warren (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31092/)
Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30823/)
Ye Olde Salutation Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31086/)
Fellows Morton and Clayton (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30896/)
Newshouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31005/)

Some of us went to the Hawksley (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66770/) as well, which was not one of the better decisions I made yesterday. I also went to Fellows Morton and Clayton twice, once while everyone was queuing in the Canalhouse and once again on the way to the station; it was a bit better in the evening than at lunch time.

The two I enjoyed the most were the Hand and Heart and the Sir John Borlase Warren, with the Organ Grinder a close third.

I got home to Sheffield so uneventfully that I feel almost ashamed...:evilgrin:

:(...though to be fair I did have to get up at 7.30 this morning to go to work, so I think I deserved a bit of good fortune.

Great to meet everyone. Looking forward to the next one already.

Galore Admin
13-11-2011, 00:11
If I look in my Experience tab, it is indeed a tin of Spam.
That is a little uncalled for, I will have to try and find a better icon.

We can save that one in case Hoppie comes back :whistle:

oldboots
13-11-2011, 08:28
The roll of honour:

Gill Smith and Mr Halfpint
Real Ale Ray and Fiona
Rob Camra
Trainman
Bucking Fastard
Quinno
Oggwyn Trench
Soup Dragon
Andy Ven
Dave M
Sheffield Hatter
Ale and Hearty
Roger B
Gann

Looks like I was extinguished then :(

or is there a roll of dishonour still to come? ;)

RogerB
13-11-2011, 08:45
"There are lots of old photos on the walls, along with some posters and a large 'Blue Monkey' ape, which confused a couple of the PG crowd, who thought it was a mirror". Thanks for clarifying that Soupy - I thought I was looking a bit worse for wear.

PS - I can add breakfast and a pint in the Company as well although I didn't do the Twigwalk or the Hawksley.

Andy Ven
13-11-2011, 09:10
Looks like I was extinguished then :(

or is there a roll of dishonour still to come? ;)

Oops! Sorry, Tuffers, I was bound to miss out one. You are indeed worthy of inclusion in the honours list.

Trainman is also honoured because I wrote down his name twice originally

trainman
13-11-2011, 09:59
Trainman is also honoured because I wrote down his name twice originally

Feelin the luuurve!

trainman
13-11-2011, 11:07
Did anyone get a one-over-the-eight pint? Best to get these things stamped in teams so that at least the thirstiest (Roger) gets to drink a freebie on the day.
I've got half a card (4 stamps) for next time, tho I had to schmooze the kid in V&F as 2 halves, bizarrely, don't usually qualify, grrr...
No reply yet from my Nottingham boys - I think I'm an outcast for going solo on the day, well, apart from the other 16 PGers!!

gillhalfpint
13-11-2011, 11:34
I was going to post a group picture on the PG facebook page, but know some folk possibly don't like photos on such sites, so thought I had better not. My new camera sort of worked ok ish. Don't like the fact that manuals are not sent out any more. You have to download and I don't want to print out tons of blurb when a booklet used to be easier to handle.

Bucking Fastard
13-11-2011, 15:01
Did anyone get a one-over-the-eight pint?

I had two partially completed cards on the boat left over from my last trip down the Trent two years ago ,including Nottingham and Newark.Somehow remembered to bring them yesterday and got a free Black Gold in the V&F and a full card for the next trip this way over the early May Bank Holiday 2012.As you say working as a team is most efficient,too bad the rest of the crew didn't turn up in Nottingham:evilgrin:

Really impressed that this promotion is still effective after two years of no Castle Rock action:notworthy:

Andy Ven
13-11-2011, 20:47
I was going to post a group picture on the PG facebook page, but know some folk possibly don't like photos on such sites.

We had a group photo last year so I thought it would be nice to have one for this year but I listed names in no particular order for the reason you mentioned.

aleandhearty
14-11-2011, 16:58
A little bit late adding my two penn 'orth, but I would like to thank everyone for a great day on Friday. Particularly enjoyed putting some faces to the handles of Gann, Bucking Fastard and Sheffield Hatter. Oh, not forgetting Real Ale Ray & Fiona.

Managed twenty halves of different beer in nine pubs, plus a bonus pint of Jaipur in the Sheffield Tap. Have to say that after downing a pint and a half of water before bed, I was fine on Saturday morning. A few gongs:

Best Moment of the Day: When we were all present and correct in the Vat & Fiddle, a couple of beers inside us, some ice-breaking banter and then we were off....

Worst Moment of the Day: Standing behind Quinno in the Hand & Heart, when he dropped an appalling trouser cough. :eek: Cheers mate. Won't let you forget that in a hurry.

Pub of the day: Hand & Heart and The Organ Grinder were my favourites based on a flying visit.

Beer of the Day: Fyne Jarl, followed by Dancing Duck's Dark Drake Stout

Miserable Barstaff of the Day: The sweet young thing that served me and Ray in the Canalhouse. The phrase 'face like Queen Victoria with a bad period' springs to mind.

Friendliest Barstaff of the Day: Thought the staff in the Hand & Heart were great.

PuG Member who looked most 'nicely' on the day: 'trainman'

Roll on next year!

Real Ale Ray
14-11-2011, 19:01
Real Ale Ray is in rehab with a pint of Cains! :cheers:

Have to say it was brilliant meeting everyone and myself and Fiona (my secretary!) really enjoyed it. Am afraid to say Derby really finished me off, as I went double OTT. Started our crawl on Saturday by stopping off at the Victoria in Beeston (thanks to Trainman for sending us there) had to have a plate of liver and onions for lunch, as mine was lacking in substance! Got to Derby and went straight to the Brunswick (Rob was right, a difficult place to leave!) especially as we got through the whole beer list. After that, threw the bags into the hotel, which was straight across from the Flower Pot, then to a mini-fest in the Horse and Groom. From there as follows..

Five Lamps
Silk Mill
Seven Stars
Olde Dolphin
Royal Standard
Faltaff

and then back to the Horse and Groom - not much really! It's all a blur after that.....until today!

See you all on the next crawl in Liverpool!

sheffield hatter
14-11-2011, 22:09
Some photos...

I've reduced these so that the forum will accept them as attachments. If anyone wants larger versions, please send me your email address by PM and I'll try to oblige.

Cheers

sheffield hatter
14-11-2011, 22:13
Some more photos...

I took a few more but they're mostly quite blurry due to trying to take indoor pictures without flash in November and similar amateur errors, so I won't bore you with those.

Cheers