PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire in late August - anyone around for a meet-up?

Quinno
18-07-2011, 16:47
My yearly pilgrimage up the the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border - house-sitting for my Uncle - is on again this year, 'twixt 27 Aug to Sept 2nd. I will be located in in Dronfield, which has Nottingham at one end of the line and Leeds at the other. It currently looks like Mrs Quinno will not be in attendance so it's a full-on beer week for me.:evilgrin::nishelypished:

Now then, will anyone located oop Nurf fancy meeting up for a few jars during the school week (or the Sunday?)??

EDIT:

Just whizzed a few options through Google and National Rail. I am good for:
-Derby
-Stockport
-Manchester
-Huddersfield
-Dewsbury
-Halifax
-Bradford
-Harrogate (at a push)
-Doncaster

As well as any on the Drofield line (Leeds, Sheffield, Wakefield, Chesterfield and Nottingham). I have to be back at a reasonable time in the evening (before 7:30) in order to feed the aged moggy so I can't go too far, sadly.

Anyways, if anyone is available, let me know and I will plan my drinking week accordingly...

ROBCamra
19-07-2011, 10:00
Sounds interesting.

I can do Halifax or Bradford or Leeds on Thursday or Friday 1st & 2nd September at the moment.

Quinno
19-07-2011, 12:24
Sounds interesting.

I can do Halifax or Bradford or Leeds on Thursday or Friday 1st & 2nd September at the moment.

ohh - Halifax sounds good to me. That's trip 1 of 6 sorted!

If you're up for a double-header I could do Bradford or Leeds the other day...

oldboots
19-07-2011, 12:33
I might be persuaded, Leeds is easiest for me but Huddersfield, and Sheffield are very good for pubs; Halifax is improving steadily and worth a trip.

Quinno
19-07-2011, 12:48
I might be persuaded, Leeds is easiest for me but Huddersfield, and Sheffield are very good for pubs; Halifax is improving steadily and worth a trip.

Leeds is also easy for me too, so let's pencil Leeds in - are you good for Thursday or Friday so we can get you, me and Rob in the same place?

Also, see my edited original post for all destinations I can do, in case any others take your fancy...

ROBCamra
19-07-2011, 13:06
Leeds is also easy for me too, so let's pencil Leeds in - are you good for Thursday or Friday so we can get you, me and Rob in the same place?

Also, see my edited original post for all destinations I can do, in case any others take your fancy...

I'm OK to do Leeds on one of those days.

We've been to Leeds 3 times this year so far and I worked there for about 2.5 years in 3 stints, so I know the place pretty well.

You won't manage to do all the good pubs in Leeds in one visit though, there's just too many.

The only double up over our 3 visits was Mr Foleys, all the others were single visits and we did 20 pubs in Leeds and 4 in Horsforth.

Even then we still didn't get to the Templar or Wrens :cheers:

Quinno
19-07-2011, 13:19
We've been to Leeds 3 times this year so far and I worked there for about 2.5 years in 3 stints, so I know the place pretty well.

You won't manage to do all the good pubs in Leeds in one visit though, there's just too many.

I did Leeds a couple of years back (just before I quit the other side) and managed to do all the town centre ones of interest. I still have the notes somewhere, in a big pile of reviews to shoehorn in via the mass migrate tool. Another visit will mean I don't have to bother!

Hopefully with an informed guide I can do a couple of places slightly farther out - in 2009 I didn't fancy getting lost in the outskirts of Leeds, drunk and with a only a tatty google map print out for company !

ROBCamra
19-07-2011, 13:37
I did Leeds a couple of years back (just before I quit the other side) and managed to do all the town centre ones of interest. I still have the notes somewhere, in a big pile of reviews to shoehorn in via the mass migrate tool. Another visit will mean I don't have to bother!

Hopefully with an informed guide I can do a couple of places slightly farther out - in 2009 I didn't fancy getting lost in the outskirts of Leeds, drunk and with a only a tatty google map print out for company !

West Riding, The Hop, Midnight Bell, Cross Keys, Veritas and Leeds Brewery Tap probably weren't even open then. :p

Quinno
19-07-2011, 14:12
West Riding, The Hop, Midnight Bell, Cross Keys, Veritas and Leeds Brewery Tap probably weren't even open then. :p

LOL - well they certainly weren't on my list! Sounds like Leeds is fast becoming on par with Sheffield.

oldboots
19-07-2011, 18:04

either is fine, I will book a day (or two:D) off but that only needs to be done in early August.

gillhalfpint
20-07-2011, 11:54
We have the caravan in Newark leaving on 27.8.11, and I have just booked a day trip to London on London Midland on 2.9.11 for £20.40 for the 2 of us.

We can arrive in your area 27.8.11 and leave on 1.9.11. Anywhere good for us on a crawl.

Will check out a place to park up and let you know if definate later as I am also waiting for hosp operation date to come through which will scuttle all the bookings I am making.

aleandhearty
20-07-2011, 12:22
Leeds is also easy for me too, so let's pencil Leeds in

Hopefully with an informed guide I can do a couple of places slightly farther out

Been a bit busy the last couple of days, so excuse the tardy reply. I'd also like to tag along. Funnily enough, I'd have suggested Leeds, thinking you hadn't visited it before. Like ROB says there are probably too many decent pubs to fit in one day, but we can only try our best! What's nice about Leeds is the fact it set out quite nicely for various circuits. I also know Leeds pretty well, having worked there most of my life.

Realistically, we could spend all day in the centre, but you shouldn't miss the Garden Gate in Hunslet, the local equivalent of The Barton Arms, although 'oldboots' thinks it's better:

Garden Gate Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42715/)

Quinno
20-07-2011, 13:34
We can arrive in your area 27.8.11 and leave on 1.9.11. Anywhere good for us on a crawl.

Will check out a place to park up and let you know if definate later as I am also waiting for hosp operation date to come through which will scuttle all the bookings I am making.

Cool, keep us informed!

Funnily enough, I'd have suggested Leeds, thinking you hadn't visited it before. Like ROB says there are probably too many decent pubs to fit in one day, but we can only try our best! What's nice about Leeds is the fact it set out quite nicely for various circuits. I also know Leeds pretty well, having worked there most of my life.

Realistically, we could spend all day in the centre, but you shouldn't miss the Garden Gate in Hunslet, the local equivalent of The Barton Arms[/URL]

Would be good to see you Andy!

Yeah, Leeds is almost a two-day crawl in itself (now there's a thought......!). I'd certainly like to grab a couple of outliers in good company so your suggestion suits me fine!

So for a trip to Leeds on Thursday and/or Friday, we have so far:

Quinno
RobCAMRA
Ale & Hearty
Old Boots
Gill and Ray (potentially).

Shaping up nicely :)

gillhalfpint
01-08-2011, 00:38
This might be of interest. Don't think we will make this meet up. Sorry.

Three Tuns, Dronfield (Hallowes Estate) - opens 7pm Friday 5th August with beers from Spire Brewery and guests (10 handpumps). Pub is a 10 minute walk from Dronfield station or on Stagecoach bus routes 43/44/44A from Sheffield and Chesterfield. Pub previously known as the Hallowes.

Quinno
01-08-2011, 09:23
This might be of interest. Don't think we will make this meet up. Sorry.

Three Tuns, Dronfield (Hallowes Estate) - opens 7pm Friday 5th August with beers from Spire Brewery and guests (10 handpumps). Pub is a 10 minute walk from Dronfield station or on Stagecoach bus routes 43/44/44A from Sheffield and Chesterfield. Pub previously known as the Hallowes.

That is VERY much of interest! Cheers Gill. :cheers:

Spinko
02-08-2011, 07:41
There is a music and real ale festival just north of York on Bank Holiday weekend Quinno..headlined by Charlatans and with 100+ non-fizzy ales. http://www.galtresfestival.org.uk/beers-ciders.cfm

Once you've got a definite itinerary I'll try and fit it in :nishelypished:

Quinno
19-08-2011, 08:40
OK so far there's the Big Friday Meet-up, and potentially catching A&H at Wakefield on the Tuesday.

So, logistics!

I will arrive Leeds station at 11:18, so lets use that as the benchmark. Shall we all meet in the Brewery Tap? Not been there yet :evilgrin:

My latest departure looks to be 18:05, so we'll need to be back from the 'burbs at a sensible time.

In terms of intinerary, I lay myself open to the Professional Northerners to sort that out :D

aleandhearty
19-08-2011, 12:40
I will arrive Leeds station at 11:18, so lets use that as the benchmark. Shall we all meet in the Brewery Tap? Not been there yet :evilgrin:

My latest departure looks to be 18:05, so we'll need to be back from the 'burbs at a sensible time.

In terms of intinerary, I lay myself open to the Professional Northerners to sort that out :D

Brewery Tap is a good place to start. V.easy to find, turn right on leaving the main entrance opposite the barriers and it's on the corner of the driveway, about 100 yards away. If you're leaving just after 6, we'll have to make some tough choices. If The Garden Gate is a definite, then I'd suggest a swifty in the Tap and then head for the bus station via The Duck & Drake and The Palace. The 110s to Hunslet run about every ten minutes. Once back in the centre, you're pretty much only ten minutes from the station wherever we are.

My picks, based on beer choice, would be The Grove, Hop, Mr Foleys and Veritas. Based on interiors, I'd say The Victoria, Whitelocks and possibly The Adelphi. I'm sure there'll be some serous discussion about what's unmissable!

oldboots
19-08-2011, 16:56
I wouldn't argue with anything on your list A&H, other possiblities are of course the Scarborough, Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and North.

There are also the 12 and 13 buses which go to Hunslet centre every 10 mins and which stop in Vicar Lane U7 ( handy for North/Templar even Reliance), New Market St K4 (nice and central and close to the Tap) and Meadow Lane T10 (handy for Adelphi) they also stop in Meadow Lane T12 and New Briggate N1 coming back from Hunslet.

The Brewery Tap sounds like a good place to meet, it has to be there or the Scarborough really, I hope no-one was going to suggest the White Rose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42650/):eek:

gillhalfpint
19-08-2011, 18:57
Beginning to wish we could come really as we have been to a lot of the ones mentioned on our Leeds crawl a year or two back. Have a great time.

Spinko
21-08-2011, 10:30
I wouldn't argue with anything on your list A&H, other possiblities are of course the Scarborough, Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and North.

There are also the 12 and 13 buses which go to Hunslet centre every 10 mins and which stop in Vicar Lane U7 ( handy for North/Templar even Reliance), New Market St K4 (nice and central and close to the Tap) and Meadow Lane T10 (handy for Adelphi) they also stop in Meadow Lane T12 and New Briggate N1 coming back from Hunslet.

The Brewery Tap sounds like a good place to meet, it has to be there or the Scarborough really, I hope no-one was going to suggest the White Rose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42650/):eek:

Surely it has to be Spencers :D

aleandhearty
22-08-2011, 09:35
other possiblities are of course the Scarborough, Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and North.

I hope no-one was going to suggest the White Rose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42650/):eek:

Surely it has to be Spencers :D

More fine choices 'ob', how do we decide? Or do we just run between pubs? :D

Perhaps The White Rose and Spencers could be part of an 'alternative' crawl? I could certainly add a few more.

ROBCamra
22-08-2011, 11:38
More fine choices 'ob', how do we decide? Or do we just run between pubs? :D

Perhaps The White Rose and Spencers could be part of an 'alternative' crawl? I could certainly add a few more.

I'm not sure we'll even get past Yates's or John T's bar. :eek:

Quinno
22-08-2011, 13:57
Thanks to Martin Moneysaver :notworthy: I have discovered a nice cheap way of getting around West Yorkshire on my hols - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/prbc4917a9e649fb95db8b12ad320b5f/details.html - £5.70 for an all-dayer from Wakefield! Lovely.

I've been busy planning where I want to go and inevitably the list is twice as long as I can reasonably manage, so I might well use this little saver to mop up a load of pubs in small towns that get a GBG entry (and Huddersfield!). I'll need to have my wits about me with the train times though :nishelypished:

aleandhearty
24-08-2011, 15:33
Guys, really sorry to be a party-pooper, but unfortunately I'm going to have to cry off, regarding the 2nd. Unexpected family commitments mean I'm going to be away from Friday to Sunday. :(

Quinno
24-08-2011, 16:14
Guys, really sorry to be a party-pooper, but unfortunately I'm going to have to cry off, regarding the 2nd. Unexpected family commitments mean I'm going to be away from Friday to Sunday. :(

Boo! ;)

Still free for the Tuesday?

ROBCamra
24-08-2011, 17:18
OK so far there's the Big Friday Meet-up, and potentially catching A&H at Wakefield on the Tuesday.

So, logistics!

I will arrive Leeds station at 11:18, so lets use that as the benchmark.

My train arrives at 11:33 but the Brewery Tap doesn't open until 12.

We could always meet in the JDW in the station or The Scarbrough opens at 11.

Quinno
24-08-2011, 18:32
My train arrives at 11:33 but the Brewery Tap doesn't open until 12.

We could always meet in the JDW in the station or The Scarbrough opens at 11.

Let's make it the JDW then, so I can have breakfast!

aleandhearty
25-08-2011, 19:14
Still free for the Tuesday?

Yep. Have P.M'd you.

Quinno
26-08-2011, 14:33
Yep. Have P.M'd you.

PM'd back!

Quinno
27-08-2011, 20:43
First day today - ticked off most of Chesterfield's finest (bar the Derby Tup, too far!). Sheffield tomorrow for a few randoms. Halifax on Monday I think....:drinkup::nishelypished:

aleandhearty
27-08-2011, 21:03
First day today - ticked off most of Chesterfield's finest (bar the Derby Tup, too far!). Sheffield tomorrow for a few randoms. Halifax on Monday I think....:drinkup::nishelypished:

I think your liver's going to be screaming by next Saturday. :D Still, you have to show it who's boss. See you Tuesday.

Quinno
31-08-2011, 10:36
I think your liver's going to be screaming by next Saturday. :D Still, you have to show it who's boss. See you Tuesday.

Good to see you yesterday Andy - a great little crawl and the best pub lunch I've ever tasted!

As predicted, I am taking today off (well, almost, I am going to trek over to The Hallowes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66920/) following Gill's timely tip-off). I also have a two day's worth of reviews to start posting later too.

As for tomorrow, I need to choose between Huddersfield and Halifax :whistle:

oldboots
31-08-2011, 16:09
As for tomorrow, I need to choose between Huddersfield and Halifax :whistle:

Halifax is up and coming but Huddersfield has the Grove to name but the best of at least six outstanding pubs, truely the jewel in the crown of southern West Yorks. You could try both towns with very careful planning.

See you Friday.

Spinko
31-08-2011, 19:32
Huddersfield surely, the Sportsman, then a taxi to The Star,and back via Rat and Ratchet, and Grove would be my recommendations. I'd have to go via Sheffield Tap coming from the south too!

Quinno
31-08-2011, 21:12
Huddersfield it is. Halifax pubs don't open until the late afternoon and I am a busy man!

Still, there's always next year! And the year after...

aleandhearty
01-09-2011, 14:02
Good to see you yesterday Andy - a great little crawl and the best pub lunch I've ever tasted!

...the Grove...truly the jewel in the crown of southern West Yorks.

Good to see you too. Really enjoyed Tuesday, just a shame it went so quick and we didn't have more time in the city centre. I suspect your palate might be a bit jaded, but you're in for a treat at The Grove, as 'ob' says. Just stunning on the beer front. I'm sure there'll be something to perk you up a bit.

Have a good day on Friday everyone.

Pubsignman
01-09-2011, 15:25
Huddersfield it is. Halifax pubs don't open until the late afternoon and I am a busy man!

Still, there's always next year! And the year after...

I did Huddersfield back in May or June and had a great time. The Grove is a dead cert for my pub of the year. Could quite happily have spent the whole weekend in there, probably without trying the same beer twice! Will be interested to hear how you got on.

I'm already lining up a return visit for December and hope to make it out to the Sair Inn in Linthwaite this time.

Quinno
01-09-2011, 19:59
I did Huddersfield back in May or June and had a great time. The Grove is a dead cert for my pub of the year

Brief update - just got back, Huddersfield was a decent day out. Best places were the Cherry Tree (JDW), Rat and Ratchet but, most brilliantly, the Grove.

Great beer but importantly a fantastic welcome. The staff were all (I assume) under 30, and were passionate and knowlegdable about the pub and their wares. They were welcoming to all-comers and I felt immediately at home there. A shame that I had to carry on and do the rest of my ticks, in a way. I will make a special effort to get back here.

I made sure I introduced PuG and left a card :D

Quinno
01-09-2011, 20:27
oh yeah, see some of you scummers tomorrow in that station JDW! Off on a hike to Dronfield Woodhouse for last orders now :D

Spinko
04-09-2011, 07:24
Good to bump into you (as I half expected) during after-work drinks on Friday in The Hop Leeds!

Quinno
06-09-2011, 13:18
I made sure I introduced PuG and left a card :D

Well lookee here on their Facers (http://www.facebook.com/Thegroveinnhuddersfield), they remembered to have a check and they've given us a bit of publicity via the posting. Trebles all round. :cheers:

RogerB
06-09-2011, 13:28
You fastracked that review then!

aleandhearty
06-09-2011, 14:55
Well lookee here on their Facers (http://www.facebook.com/Thegroveinnhuddersfield), they remembered to have a check and they've given us a bit of publicity via the posting. Trebles all round. :cheers:

Nice one, Quinno. :notworthy: