PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24 July 2011)

ROBCamra
18-07-2011, 13:15
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
rpadam: Ramsgate Festiv'Ale
Alesonly: Moorhouse's Blond Witch
Millay: White Horse Giant's Stairs
trainman: Ascot Ales Alligator
gillhalfpint: Coastal Sea King
Wittenden: Whitstable Faversham Creek
aleandhearty: Magic Rock Rapture
ROBCamra: Abbeydale (Beer Works) Hair Extinguisher
Bucking Fastard: Wolf Coyote
PaulOfHorsham: Dark Star Saison
RogerB: Itchen Valley Hambledon Ale
Al 10000: Castle Rock Sheriffs Tipple
Quinno: Harviestoun Born To Be Mild
Pubsignman: Hertog Jan Grand Prestige

Thuck Phat
22-07-2011, 12:01
An early reply this week due to a quiet week and lack of ale opportunites pre Sunday. Only one to choose from but an excellent one, BOTW is Oakham Bishops Farewell.

aleandhearty
22-07-2011, 16:47
Out in Leeds last night with friends who had their end of term heads on. A gentle stroll between Veritas, The Victoria and Mr.Foley's saw us try some excellent beers:

Magic Rock - Rapture.
Thornbridge -Evenlode.
Thornbridge - Alchemy XIII.
Burley Street Brewhouse - IPA.
Dark Star - Espresso.
Burley Street Brewhouse - Stout.
Camden Town - Innercity Green.
Vale - Black Beauty.
Thornbridge - Jaipur.
Rudgate - Ruby Mild.
Hopdaemon - Incubus.
Nethergate - Umbel Magna.
Hawkshead - Cumbrian Five Hop.
Dr Morton's - Hair Extinguisher.
Roosters - Wild Mule.
York - Citra.
Hardknott - Cool Fusion.
WharfeBank - Old Stumper.

The current leaders are probably Rapture and the Innercity Green - a lovely beer for its strength.

rpadam
23-07-2011, 11:27
BOTW is Festiv'Ale from the Ramsgate Brewery, sampled at the Craft Beer Co. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/) after work yesterday. Similar in style to the better-known Dark Star Hophead tasted a short while later at Seven Stars (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22067/) - both fine summer pints, but overall the Gadds gets the vote.

Alesonly
23-07-2011, 12:01
Another very lean week again this week due too working only a four pints again as only one day off. At this rate I will be TT. :(
(Moorhouses Blond Witch - Moorhouse Brewery). As beer of the week as its the only one I had. :eek:

Millay
24-07-2011, 07:42
Haven't joined in on this for a while but this week it's going to be White Horse Giant's Stairs, a good hoppy refreshing beer.

trainman
24-07-2011, 09:36
First visit for ages to the Traf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24699/) yesterday, I'll nominate Ascot Ales Alligator just ahead of One Hop from the same brewery.

gillhalfpint
24-07-2011, 10:48
This week's beers.

Sharps Doom Bar
Slaters A'zatec Gold
Fuzzy Duck Pheasant Plucker
Driftwood Spa Red Mission
Driftwood Spa DEK Hop
Coastal Sea King
Coastal Summer Sun

BOTW Coastal Sea King.

Wittenden
25-07-2011, 07:46
A tight run thing between Larkin's Traditional,an excellant brown traditional bitter, and Whitstable's Faversham Creek, which despite the off putting name, is a pale nettley summery beer, with an undertow of plums.
My BOTW-Whitstable Brewery-Faversham Creek 3.8ABV

Bucking Fastard
25-07-2011, 10:51
After the excesses of a week's boating,this was a quieter period.My BOTW was Coyote from the Wolf Brewery a complex golden ale supped in The Crooked Billet ,Ware on a mini pub crawl around town with Gann,until the wife disturbed my drinking with the trouble with the dog walking ploy.Dont ask:o

aleandhearty
25-07-2011, 14:55
Magic Rock - Rapture.
Thornbridge -Evenlode.
Thornbridge - Alchemy XIII.
Burley Street Brewhouse - IPA.
Dark Star - Espresso.
Burley Street Brewhouse - Stout.
Camden Town - Innercity Green.
Vale - Black Beauty.
Thornbridge - Jaipur.
Rudgate - Ruby Mild.
Hopdaemon - Incubus.
Nethergate - Umbel Magna.
Hawkshead - Cumbrian Five Hop.
Dr Morton's - Hair Extinguisher.
Roosters - Wild Mule.
York - Citra.
Hardknott - Cool Fusion.
WharfeBank - Old Stumper.

Clarks - Westgate Gold.
Wensleydale - Semer Water.
Buck Inn - Fair Maiden (Re-badged Cuerden 'Pale' ?)

The two most enjoyable beers of the week were probably the Semer Water and Fair Maiden, after walking around Malham yesterday. They barely touched the sides of my throat. :drinkup: However, BOTW goes to Magic Rock, for the second week running. Last week it was High Wire, this week the excellent Rapture hoppy, red ale, which doffs its cap to 5am Saint.

ROBCamra
26-07-2011, 12:29
A couple of days in York, although only Sunday counts for this thread, drinking quite a lot of decent beer.

Including two at The Junction Brewhouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58600/) and Thornbridge Ashford from the newly installed handpump at House of the Trembling Madness (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72245/)

But Abbeydale Hair Extinguisher tried in The Baum still wins. :cheers:

PaulOfHorsham
26-07-2011, 21:15
Think I'll join in this week, as Friday's Saison (Dark Star) in The Partridge was perfectly refreshing and wonderfully cool on a warm afternoon.

aleandhearty
27-07-2011, 11:00
Think I'll join in this week, as Friday's Saison (Dark Star) in The Partridge was perfectly refreshing and wonderfully cool on a warm afternoon.

It was amongst those I tried last week and I was also very impressed. As you say, a great beer for a warm afternoon.

RogerB
27-07-2011, 13:00
My local, the Ivy Leaf in Dartford, normally only puts on a single guest beer and only for the weekend but it is often a corker and this weekend was no exception. Itchen Valley Hambledon Ale - right up my street.

Al 10000
27-07-2011, 17:14
My beer of the week is Sherrifs Tipple from Castle Rock brewery tried in the Poppy and Pint in West Bridgeford.

This is a fairly low gravity beer but it was very tasty and it is now being brewed in Nottingham again.

Quinno
28-07-2011, 10:12
Harviestoun's Born to be Mild at the Nags Head is my BOTW

Pubsignman
28-07-2011, 11:15
My local, the Ivy Leaf in Dartford, normally only puts on a single guest beer and only for the weekend but it is often a corker and this weekend was no exception. Itchen Valley Hambledon Ale - right up my street.

I think we saw this on our Winchester crawl, but none of us gave it a try. I had a pint in my local Spoons last week and thought it was very nice as well.

However, I've spent much of this week and last in Holland and my BOTW goes to one of the many excellent beers sampled during my stay. Hertog Jan Grand Prestige is an excellent Dutch version of a Belgian strong ale; lots of caramel in the aroma and taste and very drinkable at 10%.

Oggwyn Trench
30-07-2011, 13:47
The price to be paid for glorious weather , great food and a lot of doing nothing was a lot of lager (and Ouzo and Sambuca:D) i nearly succumbed to a can of John Smiths but resisted ,

Alfa
Amstel
Amstel Premium Pilsner
Mythos
Heiniken
Zorbas

A great variety there all lager all 5% :(, Alfa probally the best , Amstel Premium Pilsner easily the worst , no BOTW none of them deserve it