PDA

View Full Version : Hobgoblin pubs to disappear?

Quinno
18-07-2011, 11:16
Morning all,

I hear from a highly reliable source that the Hobgoblin pub name - the rights of which apparently is still owned by one person - is to be scrapped as he thinks some of the pubs have deviated too far from their intended roots as music/student bars. They will all be renamed but as yet I don't know whether it will be a sweep from X to Y or whether the names will be a big mixed bag.

There are 16 listed on (though two look to be duplicates).

One for us to keep an eye on :eek:

:twigs:EDIT - ah, yeah, OK, I said BITE. I meant PuG Whoops :whistle::o:muppet:

ROBCamra
18-07-2011, 11:36
There are 16 listed on BITE (though two look to be duplicates).

On BITE!!! Quinno wash your mouth with soap & water. :eek::eek:

Alesonly
18-07-2011, 11:50
There is 16 on Pubs Galoure and one closed. P/s No duplicates Either I could see
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=hobgoblin

RogerB
18-07-2011, 11:50
Can't say I'll miss them too much. They have limited appeal to me and I only ever visit them if I am short of other options.

Grailhunter
18-07-2011, 12:12
Can't say I'll miss them too much. They have limited appeal to me and I only ever visit them if I am short of other options.

They do vary quite a bit in quality. The one in Reading is absolutely excellent with a fabulous selection of ales, but the one in Bath is very very ordinary.

Wittenden
18-07-2011, 12:59
I'm reliably informed that the one in Canterbury has reverted to its original name of the "Black Griffin", and is a proper pub again. Haven't been in for 30 years (ish), so can't comment.

Strongers
18-07-2011, 14:10
I Have been in 3 and one was a student pub and another a goth hell hole in Camden. Not really comparable.

Quinno
18-07-2011, 15:30
On BITE!!! Quinno wash your mouth with soap & water. :eek::eek:

Au contre Rob, there are two on here listed near Cowley Road, after typing Hobgoblin into the search box. I have asked admin to look at them!

EDIT, Grailhunter has replied to the other thread with:

I can clarify this, I think.

The first Hobgoblin (pub no.31737) with address of The Plain is now called The Cape of Good Hope (listed under pub no.58035). A few years back the Cape of Good Hope was renamed The Hobgoblin for a few months, then became an It's a Scream pub with a name I can't recall, then reverted to being the Cape of Good Hope again. Note - the photo against this pub is in fact that of the other Hobgoblin below (pub no.73579).

The second Hobgoblin (pub no.73579) is located about a quarter of a mile away along the Cowley Road. It is and has been the Hobgoblin for a number of years. Prior to that it was called the Ampney Cottage.

So, to resolve, the first one needs to be removed as it is the same pub as the Cape of Good Hope. The photo should be added to the second one.

I need a lie down now !

ROBCamra
18-07-2011, 15:40
Au contre Rob, [/I]

But we're on PuG, not the dark side. ;)

Quinno
18-07-2011, 15:49
But we're on PuG, not the dark side. ;)

Ah, just re-read :twigs::twigs:. I see why I'm getting stick and why I'm confused about the stick. Hadn't noticed I'd said BITE!!!! How embarrassing!! :o:o:eek::o:o

gillhalfpint
20-07-2011, 09:48
Used to enjoy going to the Hobgoblin in Oxford. Got CAMRA discount there and good ales and food. It did look a student pub, wooden floor and basic furniture, but always liked going in there. Now called St Algates I believe, and we still call in when in Oxford.

Grailhunter
20-07-2011, 11:54
Used to enjoy going to the Hobgoblin in Oxford. Got CAMRA discount there and good ales and food. It did look a student pub, wooden floor and basic furniture, but always liked going in there. Now called St Algates I believe, and we still call in when in Oxford.

It is now called the St. Aldates Tavern Gill but unfortunately is closed and has been for 3 or 4 months. Not sure what is going to happen to it but hopefully it will re-open.
Like you I used to enjoy going in there when it was the Hobgoblin and for a time it was my 'local' in town. The landlord and landlady (Andy and Pam) were tremendous hosts and ran a superb pub. Andy went on to start up the White Horse brewery which is doing very well.

gillhalfpint
21-07-2011, 08:42
Like the White Horse brewery tap.

Quinno
21-07-2011, 10:01
Like the White Horse brewery tap.

Run by a mad Welsh bloke. Genius.

Quinno
12-08-2011, 19:59
From the Hobgoblin in Reading