PDA

View Full Version : Student Brewer - Bad times

Blog Tracker
14-07-2011, 14:51
Visit the Student Brewer site (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2011/07/bad-times.html)

Today I had a bit of a shock. An eye-watering, emotional and expensive one at that.

For those that don't know, here's a little up-to-date about me:

I'm 24, have a 3 year old son and have separated from his mum about 9 months ago. I have recently been diagnosed with depression, and through a course of anti-depressants and counselling have been getting my head around things and feeling better. On a new diet, going to the gym, signed up for the local rugby club, seeing more of my son. Those basic things that require a little bit of self confidence which was lacking before seeing the medical staff.

2 things have happened in 2 days that have set me back a bit. The first occurred at the local doctor's surgery - a normally quiet surgery, that on this occasion was exceptionally busy. Being stuck behind a broken down car had made me a couple of minutes late. Finding the car-park full, I had no option but to wait for someone to move rather than risk blocking someone in, or even worse - blocking someone out. Another 5 minutes. I then find the queue to the desk starts outside the building, with about 10 people in front of me. By the time I get to the desk, I get told I'm 15 minutes late and would have to wait to see if someone else didn't turn up before I could see a Dr. When visiting the Dr (not the councillor) I'm normally in for 2 minutes and out with the new prescription. This couldn't be done - even though the Dr in question was behind the desk having a break!

Sod it, I thought, the amount of times I've been on time or early for an appointment but have to wait half an hour later or so, and the 1st time late to the drs they won't do anything.

Reading this back to myself, it may come across as whining but I'm scared now - the next appointment they had was in 3 and a half weeks time and I'll be out of the pills then...

The thing that happened today was a bigger shock. I'd got a bailiffs note through the door on Monday, with a tick in the box for 'council tax arrears'. Considering I'd already made a couple of payments for the current house and ordered a payment card, I was surprised to say the least. I checked with my ex that the old house was paid up - it was and she had proof of payment.

Calling the council it turns out when I moved out, about 2 months before my ex, she had called the council to update the details and put the tax in her name. But there was still a bit overdue from before I'd moved out. I told them I'd received no letters about it, the first I knew about it was a bailiff's letter. They told me that according to their system the letters had been sent, and that now it was in the hands of the bailiffs I would have to pay them - nothing the council could do about it.

I called the number left on the bailiffs letter, several times, each time leaving a voicemail which never got returned. When I did eventually get through, he told me he'd be coming on Wednesday.

"I'm at work" I told him

"It's on the schedule so I have to come to the house" - and he was not budging - he would still be coming on Wednesday.

Giving up, I arranged to meet him this morning at 11. At 11:15 still nothing. I left for town, worried I'd be late for picking up a friend who I'd promised a lift to.

11:40 a missed call shows up - it was the bailiff. Called him back and he wants to know where I am - I pointed out the appointment was at 11, that I'd waited an extra 15 minutes and that 20 to 12 was nowhere near 'around 11am'.

I decided then to extend my overdraft and pay the full amount in one go. Getting back to the house I find another bailiff's letter with an extra charge for £20.

I had been charged £20 because the bailiff had been 40 minutes late.

Finding the office's number on the web, I called them asking to make a complaint. It turned out the chap who answered the phone was the vice chairman. He insisted that because they hadn't legally done anything wrong the charge would remain. This carried on for half an hour, me highlighting that in any other business in the world, him turning up 40 minutes late would not mean me getting charged £20!

His final response: 'We don't do morals, we stick to the letter of the law'
My final response included calling him the C-word and telling him £20 is what I normally have saved to spend on James each week - normally covers swimming/admission to an attraction and a meal.

I looked on the number 10 website for those petitions but they've been taken down and are being moved to the direct.gov website - but aren't live there until the end of summer. So instead I've arranged a meeting with my local MP and AM, and am writing to every paper I can find the details of on the web. It may get me nowhere, but I hate people taking the piss.

I really hate it when I can genuinely, hand on heart say it wasn't my fault.

Cheershttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/tracker/5810592934633194812-4903873482044873734?l=studentbrewer.blogspot.com

More... (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2011/07/bad-times.html)

NickDavies
14-07-2011, 23:14
I'm really sorry to read your news, you're having a dreadful time. I'm sure I can say that everyone who contributes to PuG will try to support you in whatever way they can. I know it may not sometimes feel like it, and it may sound daft me saying it, but things will get better.

With best wishes

Nick