PDA

View Full Version : Possibly World's worst pub crawl

hopwas
12-01-2010, 22:14
I set off from Tamworth to Lichfield on No.825 bus. Had quick black coffee in Gatehouse before caught No.60 bus to Burntwood.
I got off and pub already in front of me..

The Star

I have been to numberous Ember Inn including my own local The Fox, Hopwas but The Star is really bizarre in terms of layout. Easily most cramped Ember Inn I have been. Had swift half of Coach horse's best bitter which is okay if not the best.

I walked down on Lichfield Road and The White Swan is in my sights. I went up its door and tried to open the door. What I didnt realise is that the pub is open from 4.30 on weekdays. Not a problem as I got plenty of pubs on my list.

5 mins later, The Centurion... closed!

Never mind.. just down the road, To my delight The Trident is on my radar.. From delight to huge disappointment in matter of seconds. "For Sale" is on its wall and closed.

Cottage of Content is quite long way to walk so I catch bus and dropped off. CLOSED :moremad:

Few mins later The Junction Inn CLOSED CLOSED :moremad::moremad: Just around the corner..

At LAST The Crown is open!!! I was so angry about closed pubs that I ordered pint of Guinness (I dont normally order on pub crawls) with double Southern Comfort. As I calmed down, one thing I loved with this pub is proper dart board and barman even practising his skills! Massive TV on the corner and looked out of place!

Couple of mins up on the hill.. The Swan

Guess what.. yes you guessed it right.. CLOSED

I gave up and caught bus back to Lichfield. Had pint in Horse and Jockey and Duke of York.

I dont intend to return to Burntwood and never will!!

arwkrite
13-01-2010, 05:56
Last I heard I had a sister who lived in Burntwood, but not being a close knit family for all I know she could have married an African prince and now be living in the Gambia.It sounds better than Burntwood.

hondo
13-01-2010, 07:57
]
Last I heard I had a sister who lived in Burntwood, but not being a close knit family for all I know she could have married an African prince and now be living in the Gambia.It sounds better than Burntwood.

he seems alright

Conrad
13-01-2010, 11:11
I'm sorry Hoppy, I read your report and just laughed. Hondo didn't then help matters with his reply to Ark :D

Burntwood, embracing the end to the lunchtime drink !

aleandhearty
13-01-2010, 12:08
The White Swan
The Centurion
The Trident
Cottage of Content
The Junction Inn
The Swan

Hey, hoppy. Having read your post on the 'Hot Time at the Cardinal's Hat' thread, if any of these burn down over the coming weeks we'll know where to look! :D

runningdog
13-01-2010, 12:08
:whistle:
he seems alright

Yeah, but 'e's a yank so 'e don't count..........:whistle:

hondo
13-01-2010, 12:56
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Prince Akeem of Zamunda :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

hopwas
13-01-2010, 16:10
I'm sorry Hoppy, I read your report and just laughed. Hondo didn't then help matters with his reply to Ark :D

Burntwood, embracing the end to the lunchtime drink !

I know.. At least I have calmed down! I think it is the best next time I visit Burntwood is on weekend.

Never mind! I must admit I did a good chuckle what Hondo said..

Oggwyn Trench
13-01-2010, 20:36
Never done Burntwood , driven through it many times , just never fancied the look of the place , only pubs i can recall going to over that way are the Malt Shovel at Chorley and the Old Windmill which are OK

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 20:49
The Malt Shovel is quality, Oggy

Did you not go to the Uxbridge, Hoppy?

hopwas
13-01-2010, 20:52
Did you not go to the Uxbridge, Hoppy?

I planned go there but knowing many closed pub in Burntwood, I just had enough and caught bus by The Junction. I wasnt in mood and decided to drink in Lichfield instead.

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 20:55
thats 5 secs walk from the Uxbridge - the best pub in Chasetown. Shame you missed it, its worth the trip on its own.

hopwas
13-01-2010, 20:58
thats 5 secs walk from the Uxbridge - the best pub in Chasetown. Shame you missed it, its worth the trip on its own.

I'll come back when the weather is warmer and on weekend.

Oh you know The Crown? I was tempted to play darts with barman but I decided not to ask cos he was hitting 180's, 140's and 100's! I would be very lucky to hit 180 in one night!

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 21:02
yes, the crown is fine, Banks's MILD and a guest on - enjoyed it when i have visited - i didnt realise that was you asking me for a game though:whistle:

hopwas
13-01-2010, 21:07
yes, the crown is fine, Banks's MILD and a guest on - enjoyed it when i have visited - i didnt realise that was you asking me for a game though:whistle:

Bit a bare and run down inside but what a great darts set up. That TV on the corner is just so wrong! I nearly fell over on way to Toilet. I didnt realise there was a bloody step.. :mad:

Oh so your name is Phil Taylor then...:whistle:

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 21:09
I didnt realise there was a bloody step

There isnt one - you were drunk:muppet: - thank God all thos Carling pubs were closed, or you wouldnt have found the bus stop home:nishelypished:

hopwas
13-01-2010, 21:14
There isnt one - you were drunk:muppet: - thank God all thos Carling pubs were closed, or you wouldnt have found the bus stop home:nishelypished:

:D Well to be fair I did get drunk quite quickly on Double Southern Comfort in The Crown!

Hey Soupy what up with closed/late opening pubs in Chasetown/Burntwood?!

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 21:18
I dont know to be fair - i did leave a note on the page where you listed them as closed - The Swan will have a new gaffer in this or next week, i was speaking to him in Gornal last Saturday. I have only been to the Chasetown pubs on a weekday afternoon and evenings, they were open then, perhaps they hear that the Tamworth Crew were in town!

Apparently, Your Tamworth lot train on our pitch at Whittington Barracks

hopwas
13-01-2010, 21:23
Apparently, Your Tamworth lot train on our pitch at Whittington Barracks

Oh that old news.. they have trained there since 2004/05 and it is their home training pitch.

Tamworth Crew in town? Hmmm I wonder who apart from me

Soup Dragon
13-01-2010, 21:30
Tamworth Crew in town? Hmmm I wonder who apart from me

You, i believe, is enough!

runningdog
13-01-2010, 22:41
I tend to drive as quickly as possible past Tamworth. Me and me dog, the one in the pic, once had a night out in Tamworth. The dog got drunk, I got blathered. I used to do that quite a lot in times past. The biggest mystery of the night was how I managed to get a £12 taxi fare when the caravan was in the pub car park. I bet I gave the blugger a tip...........:drinkup:
In memory of a totally unrecallable night out, I'll have another...:cheers: