PDA

View Full Version : London Midland Rail Offer

RogerB
12-07-2011, 12:36
A new offer for our roving reporters to feast themselves on...

http://www.email-image.net/LondonMidland/1107/halfprice/onlinelm.html (http://www.email-image.net/LondonMidland/1107/halfprice/onlinelm.html)

rpadam
12-07-2011, 22:39
A new offer for our roving reporters to feast themselves on...

http://www.email-image.net/LondonMidland/1107/halfprice/onlinelm.html (http://www.email-image.net/LondonMidland/1107/halfprice/onlinelm.html)
Hereford or Worcester anybody?

RogerB
13-07-2011, 07:10
Hereford or Worcester anybody?

Would do but it's the best part of a 7 or 8 hour round trip on the train to get to either of them! That's what put me off doing Worcester the other week.

Maldenman
13-07-2011, 13:20
I had Worcester down for a good away football trip for this season until I saw how convoluted and slow the rail journey is from London. It's hardly do-able in a day.

Quinno
13-07-2011, 23:12
I had Worcester down for a good away football trip for this season until I saw how convoluted and slow the rail journey is from London. It's hardly do-able in a day.

Having done the journey myself only the other week, it is faintly surreal to be in an Inter City 125 doing 40mph along a single track branch line for the best part of an hour calling at stations that would have been shut by Beeching if they didn't happen to have been in Oxfordshire.

trainman
14-07-2011, 06:46
I saw how convoluted and slow the rail journey is from London. It's hardly do-able in a day.

it is faintly surreal to be in an Inter City 125 doing 40mph along a single track branch line for the best part of an hour calling at stations that would have been shut by Beeching if they didn't happen to have been in Oxfordshire.

Frustrating, I'm sure, but 2hr25 from London doesn't surprise me; Briz is 1hr45 and very direct, tho similar distance to Worcester. For our Midlanders, Brum-Worc can be 40mins and available at just £3.80 rtn on this deal.

gillhalfpint
14-07-2011, 07:46
I am struggling to get their on line link open as we fancy having a day in London from Birmingham.

trainman
14-07-2011, 08:17
I am struggling to get their on line link open as we fancy having a day in London from Birmingham.

Strongly recommend you also take a look at megabus.com, Gill. You can get Virgin trains (~1hr quicker) on the Brum-Lon line at very good prices from that site now, especially with forward planning/early booking... downside seems to be no early departures, but £10/12pp rtn. (currently £7 rtn 25Aug)

gillhalfpint
14-07-2011, 08:42
Just got 2 tickets on London Midland return for a total of £17.20 so cannot complain at £8.60 each. That's with senior railcards. Made a note of megabus though. Cheers.

Gann
14-07-2011, 11:55
Mmmhh!!

Got all excited about this as I have a days beer pass coming up on Saturday the 23rd, the first day of the offer, as the Wife is away on a hen weekend..
So was just planning a trip within the London travel card zone pssibly to Richmond, but then saw this from Roger and thought I'd be adventurous a go further afield..

So thought I'd see what I could get for Coventry (just because I haven't been there for years).

But after fighting for 30 minutes with the web site I have now given up getting anything other than standard fare prices..

So if anyone does get the discounted tickets, then your obviously a better surfer than me....

gillhalfpint
15-07-2011, 07:06
You do need to stick at it. Drove me nuts trying to get the discounted tickets page up. Just kept hitting the "from £6.60" button till I got there, and I was left at the end wondering if it had gone through. Guess I'll have to wait to see if tickets arrive or money comes off card. First tiime I have bought on-line. Usually look them up and then purchase in a station so I know what I want and get what I want - no missing reservation bits.

gillhalfpint
16-07-2011, 13:00
Further to above, I cannot find record of the credit card transaction for tickets, so tried to check with London Midland but cannot log in. Don't recognise e-mail or password. Sent an e-mail and they acknowledged back to the email address they don't recognise so thought it must be the password preventing me from logging in.

I went to the forgot password, and filled that in and now they don't recognise e-mail, so contacted again and got another acknowledgement at e-mail address they don't recognise.

My problem is I have completed everything with a payment, and don't know if it has been actioned. May have to resort to a telephone as lets face it, I need to know if I have tickets or not. Daren't try to rebook in case I am charged twice. Shambles.

Gann
17-07-2011, 22:45
Thanks Gill,

I did have another go on your recommendation, but also didn't get to any page where I felt comfortable that I was going to get anything at a discount..
So I'll be staying closer to home next saturday, probably taking a more locat train to Ware and Waltham Abbey which are cyurrently both underrepresented on PuG when it comes to reviews..
So if any of the London / Hertfordshire PuG reviewers are interested in meeting up for a beer , just send me a PM...

Quinno
18-07-2011, 11:26
So if any of the London / Hertfordshire PuG reviewers are interested in meeting up for a beer , just send me a PM...

ohhh, tempting but I must have a weekend off the beer and I think this one may well have to be it.

RogerB
18-07-2011, 11:44
I've been looking at Ware for some time. I missed out when Ware Town and Dartford were in the same league and have been waiting for a blank Saturday ever since to do the ground and the pubs. I'm already booked up for this Saturday - it's our annual Oyster Festival crawl in Whitstable.

Al 10000
18-07-2011, 13:58
Hi Gann and Roger,

I did all the pubs in Ware in 2005 i was going after McMullens pubs there were 8 of these in Ware, Ware is a nice quiet town and it has got plenty of pubs i went in 17 only one of these did'nt have any real ale on.

Waltham Abbey is a bit more lively i did 10 pubs there 6 of these were McMullens houses and all the pubs had real ale on.

I will try and put all the photos on the site with my usuall shortish review but i will list all beers that were on the bar.

:cheers: Alan

Bucking Fastard
19-07-2011, 08:06
Thanks Gill,

So I'll be staying closer to home next saturday, probably taking a more locat train to Ware and Waltham Abbey which are cyurrently both underrepresented on PuG when it comes to reviews..

Gann I'm up for this having checked with She Who Must Be Obeyed that my presence is not mandatory on Saturday.I live close by ,one stop on the train from Ware which has a lot of pubs to go at.Waltham Abbey has often been a challenge to find decent beer for me,but maybe fortune will favour the brave.I'll PM contact details.

gillhalfpint
20-07-2011, 11:03
Our first attempt to book was a fail. As I had left card details on the page I had to ring them first and confirm I had not booked in. I have found out I had to be registered with their site first, and as they did not recognise my e-mail address, despite sending replies to me there, I re-registered under a different e-mail address, and everything was a doddle.

Booked to go to London Euston on 2.9.11 cost for the 2 of us with senior cards £20.40 so not bad. The failed attempt had been £17.20 so they must go up as time goes on. Got seats booked this time too.

Want to get to this new Craft Beer House, Brew Wharf and Southampton Arms that we did not get to on our last London crawl, and any others we can fit in.

Gann
20-07-2011, 17:14
Hi Gann and Roger,

I did all the pubs in Ware in 2005 i was going after McMullens pubs there were 8 of these in Ware, Ware is a nice quiet town and it has got plenty of pubs i went in 17 only one of these did'nt have any real ale on.

Waltham Abbey is a bit more lively i did 10 pubs there 6 of these were McMullens houses and all the pubs had real ale on.

I will try and put all the photos on the site with my usuall shortish review but i will list all beers that were on the bar.

:cheers: Alan

Thanks Alan, seen your reviews..
Yes, I think one of the challenges will be finding something other than MCMullens beer, but currently myself and Mr Fastard are up for it with a lunch time meet in Ware, and open invite to all others