PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 17 July 2011)

ROBCamra
11-07-2011, 11:03
Oggwyn Trench: Backyard The Hoard
Spinko: Fernandes Sunshine IPA
aleandhearty: Magic Rock High Wire
Alesonly: Springhead Roaring Meg
Quinno: Redemption Hotspur
Wittenden: Harveys Sussex Best
Thuck Phat: Little Ale Cart Riot In Paradise
oldboots: Mallinsons Gemini
Bucking Fastard: Little Ale Cart Cambridgeshire
Al 10000: Oakham JHB
ROBCamra: Goddards Ale Of Wight

Oggwyn Trench
16-07-2011, 00:01
Only a few pints tonight as i am off to Greece on Sunday (BOTW next week will be Alfa)

Spitting Feathers - Farmhouse Ale
Backyard - The Hoard
Cambrinus - Endurance
Cottage - Golden Arrow
Purple Moose - Dark Side of the Moose

BOTW Backyard - The Hoard

Spinko
16-07-2011, 16:40
It has to be a Fernandes Sunshine IPA I had in the Hop yesterday (Leeds). Unbelievably tasty and not surprising it got drunk out of the place by early evening despite its 5.5% kick.

I still haven't had a bad Fernandes. Whenever one of theirs hints at hoppiness, just jump on it!

aleandhearty
16-07-2011, 17:13
It has to be a Fernandes Sunshine IPA I had in the Hop yesterday (Leeds). Unbelievably tasty and not surprising it got drunk out of the place by early evening despite its 5.5% kick.

I still haven't had a bad Fernandes. Whenever one of theirs hints at hoppiness, just jump on it!

Have to agree, it's fabulous stuff. Had it in the Fernandes Tap a few weeks ago and if it wasn't my own BOTW, it was certainly very close. These days Fernandes beers are brewed by Steve Hutchinson, following the Ossett takeover. However, you may be interested to know that David James, the Fernandes founder, has started brewing in West Yorkshire again, behind his pub The Robin Hood in Pontefract. The new brewery is called James & Kirkman and I'm sure there'll be some very interesting pale beers hitting the pumps over the coming months.

aleandhearty
16-07-2011, 17:51
A fantastic week for beer, this week, based entirely on a spontaneous day trip to Huddersfield yesterday, largely to take in The Star Summer Beer Festival. You can probably tell what sort of day it was by the fact I managed to lose a contact lens and my pedometer on the way home! :eek: Some great beers though:

Buxton - Blonde.
Magic Rock - High Wire.
Dark Star - Saison.
Mallinsons - Fools to Kings.
Fullers - London Porter.
Irwell Works - Tin Plate Dark MILD.
Pictish - Brewers Gold.
Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin.
Offbeat - Odd Ball Red.
Mallinsons - That's What You Are!
Goose Eye - Goose Eye Gold.
Welbeck Abbey - First Brew.
Pictish - Northern Brewer.
Great Heck - Amish Mash.
Ashover - Liqorice Alesort.
Woodlands - Hop As Hell.
Coastal - Pier Porter.
Llangollen - Welsh Black.
Amber - Double Chocolate Stout.
Dark Star - Hophead.

Some very strong contenders in there, but Magic Rock High Wire, tried in The Grove, just blew my socks off. Definitely BOTW.

Spinko
16-07-2011, 18:19
You had one of the First Brew as well. I had that at The Anchor in Digbeth, it was so tasty.

Alesonly
16-07-2011, 18:49
Only a very limited choice Ales this week Springhead Roaring Meg 5.5% was the best of all I tried so Beer of the week is.
Springhead Roaring Meg 5.5%

Quinno
16-07-2011, 19:15
Spoilt for choice this week, have had many fine beers.

The best was the Redemption Hotspur, sunk at the The Southampton Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23788/) yesterday with Roger. I wasn't expecting much but it was a lovely fruity refreshing beer. :cool:

Wittenden
16-07-2011, 22:21
Only one pub this week,only one pint, but what a cracker-Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter,as good as ever it was when Harveys was a "destination pint".

oldboots
17-07-2011, 19:56
This weeks beers:

Daleside Blonde
Tetley Cask
Brakspears Hooray Henley
Brakspears Bitter
Goose Eye Cop Hill Best
Ossett Santiam
Mallinsons Gemini
Salopian Shropshire Gold
Toad Doncaster Porter (?)
Abbeydale Alchemy
Partners Ghost on't Rim
Ilkley Mary Jane
Abbeydale Moonshine
Salamander Peyote Porter
Roosters Juniper

easy winner is Mallinsons Gemini

working all next week so no beer:(

Thuck Phat
17-07-2011, 20:57
A good week this week due to a spot of boating. Highlights included:
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Titanic Centenary & Chocolate and Vanilla Stout
Oakham Citra
Bathams Bitter
Little Ale Cart Cambridgeshire, Chocolate Stout and Riot in Paradise
Blue Monkey Ape Ale
GWB The Beesknees
Malvern Hills Brewery Black Pear
Weatheroak Victorian Works

All of the above were excellent and the Little Ale Cart deserves a special mention for brewing only extremely quaffable beers. So BOTW goes to Steel City Brewing Riot in Paradise by Little Ale Cart, pale, hoppy, bitter and unputdownable at 4.7%.

Bucking Fastard
18-07-2011, 13:50
TP got there first with Riot in Paradise from The Little Ale Cart Brewery which was remarkable for putting Blue Monkey Ape Ale in the shade.So I will nominate another Little Ale Cart beer ,namely Cambridgeshire, as my BOTW served to perfection in their pub The Dragon Inn,Worcester.Along with Oakham this microbrewery produces among the best hoppy,ultra bitter beers IMHO.Great if you like that sort of thing,which I really do.

Al 10000
18-07-2011, 15:15
Ive had lots of different beers this weekend and it is a toss up between Oakham JHB in the Golden Lion at Irnham or Ufford Ales White Hart in Smiths of Bourne.

I will go with Oakham JHB.

ROBCamra
20-07-2011, 09:44
Bit of a late submission myself this week.

A crawl round Bolton revealed very little good ale although Moorhouse's Kiss My Ass was good in the Spinning Mule.

So it's back to The Baum for Goddards Ale Of Wight. A very pleasant light, hoppy beer that probably wouldn't have won on most weeks, but it was the best of a average bunch this week.

Pubsignman
20-07-2011, 10:15
Three beers stand out for me in a week dominated by poor pub choices that restricted my consumption to mostly Hall & Woodhouse or Greene King beers.

Mordue Summer Tyne turned out to be a decent session beer during an evening out on Poole Quay. Sixpenny 6D Special was a nice, rich strong bitter from a brewery that's new to me. But BOTW goes to the ever reliable Titanic Iceberg, enjoyed in the equally reliable George, Croydon.

gillhalfpint
20-07-2011, 12:11
My BOTW was the Brains Rev James I had in the Seven Stars, Flushing. Maybe it was so good as I had just finished a 4 mile walk from there to Mylor then round the Cornish Coast Path back to Flushing and was really ready for a beer.

RogerB
27-07-2011, 12:58
Playing a bit of catch up now - good job I keep a list. This would be the week when I only had 4 gigs and a cricket match + all the pints that go with them so not much choice then! My brief crawl around Rochester before a gig at the Castle introduced me to a wonderful Caledonian Nectar at the Coopers Arms.