PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 10 July 2011)

ROBCamra
04-07-2011, 11:36
Oggwyn Trench: Ludlow Gold
oldboots: York Citra
gillhalfpint: Hook Norton Haymaker
Brewguru: Moor Grockle Grog
aleandhearty: Acorn Summit IPA
ROBCamra: Saddleworth Shaftbender
Alesonly: Marston's Old Empire
Pubsignman: Bristol Beer Factory Southville Hop
Wittenden: Otter Amber

Oggwyn Trench
10-07-2011, 14:04
Decent night last night , tried out a new sports bar and had a couple in the Cock Hotel before cathing the bus back to the Station(the pub not the railway)

St Austell - Tribute (i think so , the handwritten clip said Cornish Tribute)
Ludlow - Gold
Titanic - Iceberg
Dr Mortons - Hare Straightener
Dr Mortons - Hair Extinguiser
Pictish - Chinook
Abbeydale - Absolution

BOTW Ludlow - Gold a couple of pints went down very well after walking from one side of Wellington to the other

oldboots
10-07-2011, 14:26
A splendid pub crawl of York on Friday provided a number of contenders but my winner by a long way is York Citra. I was also impressed by Titanic Centenary and a new one on me Nutbrook from Derbyshire.

Much less impressive were Jennings Twizzie Lizzie (thin), Brewdog Punk IPA "craft keg" version (cloudy fizzy shite) and even Thornbridge Alchemy which is probably my BABOTW; it could have so easily been the Brewdog keg but it's close.

gillhalfpint
11-07-2011, 08:43
Coastal Angelina
Naylors Draymans Delight
Hook Norton Haymaker
Blue Anchor WnK Royal
Blue Anchor Spingo Special
Coastal Maelstrom
Brains SA
Hoggleys Reservoir Hogs
Silverstone Pitstop
Skinners Figgys Brew
Skinners Spriggan

BOTW is Hook Norton Haymaker suprisingly from a Wetherspoon in Penzance.

Brewguru
11-07-2011, 13:46
Newt Beer Festival:

Moor Northern Star
Yeovil Star Gazer
Yeovil Lynx Wildcat
Otley O - garden
Dark Star American Pale Ale
Dark Star Festival
Quantock Stout
Crouch Vale Amarillo
Stonehenge Great Dane Lager

May BOTW is Moor's Grockle Grog, an 8% dark old ale / stout which was superbly balanced if a little on the sweet side

aleandhearty
11-07-2011, 13:59
Another pretty quiet week for me. No beer at all until I managed to sneak a few in at the Newmillerdam Beer Festival on Saturday:

Foxfield - Dark MILD.
Acorn - Summit IPA.
Townhouse - A'dley Weisse.
Brown Cow - Harvey's Tipple.
Great Heck - Allan.
Empire - Expedition.
Five Towns - Summerale.

Apart from the mild being disappointing, all the others were pretty decent, but the Acorn just shades it for BOTW.

ROBCamra
11-07-2011, 14:43
I was pretty impressed with Ascot Posh Pooch & Burnside Wild Rhino at Derby BF.

Titanic Golden Age was good in the Greyhound in Derby.

Mr Grundys Passchendale & Over The Top at Mr Grundys in Derby were both very good.

Hop Monster from Ossett did exactly what it said on the tin in the Babington Arms in Derby.

Abbeydale Original Sin was a dark surprise in the Exeter Arms in Derby.

But I think after all that the BOTW is going to be Saddleworth Shaftbender. A 5.4% dark delight tried in The Baum.

They've had some bad press at Saddleworth from the local CAMRA bods who say their beer is crap despite most of them not having tried any.

In my opinion Shaftbender just shows what a bunch of :muppet::muppet: they can be sometimes. :cheers:

Alesonly
11-07-2011, 19:29
I Only manged Two different Beers this week One was Phoenix Brewery Wobbly Bob On a all night session Tuesday Night & Marstones Old Empire On Saturday Night Session Both were Excellent so I will go for The Marstones.
Marstones Old Empire

Pubsignman
11-07-2011, 20:27
Travelling on the Central Line on Saturday I decided to jump off at Chancery Lane to have a look at the new Craft Beer Co bar - ended up having a bit of a session in there, such was the tempting line up. Highlights included Fyne Ales Avalanche, Ilkley Stout Mary and Locus IPA and my BOTW Bristol Beer Factory Southville Hop.

Wittenden
11-07-2011, 22:49
Enjoyed a trip to West Sussex at the weekend, though not with the PUGERS, alas.
Ballard's Best Bitter
Fox Goes Free Best Bitter (Arundel Brewery)
Otter Amber
Ballard's Best (again)
Ballard's Golden Bine

My BOTW is Otter Amber, which I found unusual, seaweedy and interesting: I'm still thinking about it now,33 hours after the event. It pipped the Fox Goes Free Best bitter, which is more conventionally my kind of regular bitter.Brown, not boring.

Bucking Fastard
18-07-2011, 13:39
I know this is very late ,been away from the keyboard for boating and boozing,but I just have to mention my BOTW for this week as Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout supped in The Welly,Birmingham .A very unusual beer,with a strong vanilla nose,yet a bitter dark chocolate taste with a hoppy finish which simply flew down despite a warm evening .Immediately induced another.Class.

RogerB
27-07-2011, 12:52
I know this is very late

And the award to tardiness for submitting BotW options now goes to me. Now, this would have been a pretty heavy week culminating in Chichester. I'm a bit fuzzy on the merits of the beers we had in Chichester's but perusing a lengthy list of the week's offerings that I have tapped into my mobile, the Castle Rock Elsie Mo at the Cutty Sark in Greenwich seems to stand out so that'll be my choice.