PDA

View Full Version : Pubs Galore Sports Ground Guide

Pubsignman
28-06-2011, 22:52
Hi everyone

As someone who travels the length and breadth of the country, haplessly following my football team, I’ve always struggled to find a single source of information detailing the best pubs in the vicinity of each football ground. Planning a trip to a new ground with a few beers lined up before or after the match requires looking at lots of individual pub pages on sites like PuG, or putting faith in guides like awaygrounds.com or footballgroundguide.com which are often out of date or vague as to the type of pub they are suggesting.

I thought there might be an opportunity for PuG to create a definitive guide for travelling fans. As Conrad pointed out when I ran the idea past him, football forums often have threads discussing which away pubs are the best to visit and it would be nice if they could be pointed in the direction of this site.

My initial thinking is that we would aim to create listings for each of the 92 football league clubs, covering a variety of pubs that will appeal to all types of football fans. For example, a listing may contain options close to the ground or train station, real ale pubs, pubs with football memorabilia, pubs that can cope well with large groups or just pubs that sell cheap lager in an away-fan friendly environment. Hopefully this will help the site to promote pubs that the predominantly real ale-drinking contributors (myself included) tend not to review.

I certainly don’t have enough knowledge to compile lists of pubs for each ground, so such an enterprise would be reliant on contributions from users of this forum – being a football fan is not a requirement for would be contributors, just a bit of local knowledge of pubs in any of the various towns and cities with a league club will suffice.

I’ll leave this thread for people to discuss the idea and how it might be incorporated into the site. If there is enough interest, I’ll start another thread so that pubs can be nominated for each ground.

PSM

RogerB
29-06-2011, 08:14
As a member of the 92 Club I am no stranger to football grounds and I've been known to visit the occasional pub as well! I'll put my thinking hat on.

aleandhearty
29-06-2011, 10:09
I thought there might be an opportunity for PuG to create a definitive guide for travelling fans.

Although I'm not a footie fan, it strikes me as an excellent idea.

Quinno
29-06-2011, 12:11
sounds good to me - I can do Reading!

hondo
29-06-2011, 12:49
Most of my drinking is based around trips to fitba and horseracing. Usually try and mention any relevant information for sports fans in the review. Not going to be any help with your 92 my english grounds visited are old wembley twice, stoke city victoria ground and millwall :eek:the:eek: old :eek:den:ninja: which was interesting to say the least.

Strongers
29-06-2011, 12:58
Sounds like an interesting project.

I can chip in with both the Bees, Arsenal and Eastbourne Borough! I think that something can be put together for clubs not known by contributors on here by using the vast array of knowledge at our disposal via the web.

I'm interested to hear some ideas of how this would actually work.

Conrad
29-06-2011, 13:13
The first idea would be just to think of them in the same way as areas. So we could come up with something like the areas that would allow pubs to be gathered together.

We could add more to that though, so for instance allow come sort of comment/limited review to be shown with the pubs name to illustrate why the pub is included (welcomes away fans, home fans, serves real ale).

Al 10000
29-06-2011, 14:02
Sounds like a great idea,

I would be willing to help out with a few i have been on about 34 league grounds but some of these were quite a while ago.

I think there should be warnings about pubs that dont welcome away fans,though i dont know how this could be done without causing grief for Conrad.

I did put a warning on a review of a pub very close to Nottingham train station that away fans were made very unwelcome here i dont know if that is the best way of doing this.

Maldenman
29-06-2011, 14:28
I'll assist where I can although most of my watching is at non-league grounds, although I can certainly do AFC Wimbledon, Crawley, Stevenage and Fulham.

Farway
29-06-2011, 14:35
Not a footie fan, so I would have no idea, clue or interest TBH, if a pub welcomes or hates away fans

That aside I could drag myself around Fratton park surroundings, not on match days though. But would have to draw the line at Fratton Station area, 'cos it is all rough and not at all suitable for a nice boy like me :whistle:

Strongers
29-06-2011, 15:02
Doesn't necessarily have to be confined to football. How about a guide to drinking at the Olympics?

NickDavies
29-06-2011, 16:14
Doesn't necessarily have to be confined to football. How about a guide to drinking at the Olympics?

That would mean acquiring a taste for Heineken, a task many would rather avoid.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23920269-beer-deal-for-2012-olympics-and-a-stern-warning-for-would-be-ambushers.do

http://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2011/02/london-beer-ousted-olympic-organisers/

Oggwyn Trench
29-06-2011, 16:51
I started going back to football at the end of last season and will probally take in a few away games next season , i can easilly do Shrewsbury and a few non league ones like Shifnal and Bridgnorth and some Sunday leage sides like AFC Telford:D

Crossste
29-06-2011, 20:07
This site seems to have a fairly comprehensive list.

http://www.footballandrealaleguide.co.uk/

Oggwyn Trench
29-06-2011, 21:09

Its not a bad site , but believe me you would not want to walk from (the very good selection) of Shrewsbury pubs to the Ground , the Woodman in particular as its 10 mins from the town centre on the opposite side to the New Meadow , a lanky git like me could probally manage it in an hour:eek:

Quinno
29-06-2011, 21:41

A labour of love, if a little outdated in some areas - I certainly wouldn't nominate the Hook & Tackle in Reading these days...

Pubsignman
29-06-2011, 22:07
Thanks for all your encouraging responses - they have convinced me that this is something worth pursuing.

I'm not too sure what would be the best way to take this forward. My initial thinking was to perhaps create individual threads for each division and get everyone to submit suggestions on the appropriate thread. The pubs nominated for each ground could then be collated and put into 'areas' as per Conrad's idea.

There may be a more efficient way of organising this though, so I'm open to any other ideas.

I also like Strongers' idea for an Olympic guide - I'm sure plenty of people will want an alternative to the Heineken available in all the venues. Promoting British pubs during the British Olympics sounds to me like exactly the sort of thing this site is about.

Pubsignman
29-06-2011, 22:16

That's a pretty decent site - i must admit I've not come across it before and I imagine it will be a useful resource as we compile our guide.

However, it will only appeal to a small section of fans - let's face it, most football supporters are happy enough with a few cold lagers and wouldn't be interested in going too far out of their way for a pre-match pint. To make this project work, I think it would have to appeal to as broad a cross-section of fans as possible.

Pubsignman
29-06-2011, 22:22
Not going to be any help with your 92 my english grounds visited are old wembley twice, stoke city victoria ground and millwall :eek:the:eek: old :eek:den

Ah yes, I remember you!

Happy to include Scottish teams as well (and non-league).

hondo
30-06-2011, 07:30
Just :twigs::twigs::twigs: that although I've not been to the stadiums plenty cities that have racecourses and fitba grounds that i could recommend pubs in. Pity drinking isn't an Olympic sport :drinkup:

Quinno
30-06-2011, 08:47
Pity drinking isn't an Olympic sport :drinkup:

It is when you're on a crawl with Roger :drinkup::bemerry::nishelypished:

Farway
30-06-2011, 15:23
It is when you're on a crawl with Roger :drinkup::bemerry::nishelypished:

Winchester & Cheriton crawlers be warned for tomorrow [I'm the taxi service, so not applicable to me]

Farway
30-06-2011, 15:29

A good job, but sadly out of date. For instance still refers to Gales, and the Sally Port (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13614/) is now closed. And even if it was not, it is a blooming long way from Fratton Park, as is the Still & West

Could be a starting point I guess

Delboy20
30-06-2011, 21:52
A good job, but sadly out of date.

You aren't kidding - Birmingham in the Premier - come on now :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ETA
01-07-2011, 07:12
Strangely, I had exactly the same thought about airports (where I seem to spend most of my time these days), and for the same reasons, I think. Sticking with the football, I can cover Gilingham and Salisbury.

It also raises the old chestnut of non-UK pubs - if you're going to a rugby match in Dublin for example, which we did last year, where can you get a decent pint without being charged tourist prices?

rpadam
01-07-2011, 09:00
if you're going to a rugby match in Dublin for example, which we did last year, where can you get a decent pint without being charged tourist prices?
The 'spoons at your UK departure airport!

ROBCamra
01-07-2011, 10:16
if you're going to a rugby match in Dublin for example, which we did last year, where can you get a decent pint without being charged tourist prices?

Messrs Maguire - A bit touristy but lots of locals as well. Brew their own beer.

Peters Pub - Hardly any tourists, except us. :)

Sinnotts - Smart but reasonably priced. :cheers:

oldboots
01-07-2011, 15:46
Messrs Maguire - A bit touristy but lots of locals as well. Brew their own beer.

Peters Pub - Hardly any tourists, except us. :)

Sinnotts - Smart but reasonably priced. :cheers:

The Porterhouse (the Temple Bar one is more touristy of course but Central is OK) 4.30 euro for a pint of plain but a better beer than Maquires' version at 4 euros, there's a better choice of foreign beers than Maquires too.

Wild Rover
02-07-2011, 21:36
This is an excellent idea,i have no problem doing Blackburn and Accrington Stanley, but Burnley is another kettle of fish, i even had to go ingognito to take the pub photos because of the football fan rivalry.

Strongers
02-07-2011, 22:47
your mum's your dad
your dad's your mum
you're interbred
you Burnley scum:D

Wild Rover
02-07-2011, 22:55
Spot on, that is one of many dittos sang on the Ewood Park terraces

gillhalfpint
03-07-2011, 08:13
Thought I had posted this, but can't find it. I keep losing posts as I get "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" when I hit the post quick reply button.

Here goes.

CAMRA published a set of little books with pubs by football grounds a few years ago and I bought a set for my footy mad son. There was one for each division at the time, and I wished I had got myself a set as they had useful info on most UK towns and cities that would aid those going on a pub crawl, not just footy fans.

Oggwyn Trench
03-07-2011, 11:57
your mum's your dad
your dad's your mum
you're interbred
you Burnley scum:D

Shrewsbury came up with a similar one a few years back (now nicked by other clubs) to the tune of the Addams Family

Your Sister is your Mother
Your Father is your Brother
You only Shag each other
The telford family

Strangely telford fans are quiet proud of it !!

Wild Rover
04-07-2011, 14:32
Hi Gill
I happen to possess a book called The Essential Football Fan by Duncan Adams,which gives a brief description of the pubs close to all the football league teams,but sadly this is a bit out of date now (2004). All the reviews are similar,and just picked Bury out as a typical example.
" There are plenty of pubs around the ground and along Manchester Road in particular.My pick on Manchester Road is The Swan and Cemetery,around a ten minute walk from the ground,this Thwaites pub is quite comfortable,serves good hand pulled beer and has a separate restaurant area.Nearer to the ground are The Park and The Staff Of Life.On my last visit The Park seemed to be the main pub for away fans and has a conveniently situated chippy around the corner from it.The Staff of Life is a stones throw from The Parkand is a basic pub serving hand pulled Lees.Also recommended on Manchester Road is The Waterloo,nearer the town centre".

I am not sure if this book is updated yearly or it was just a one off

Strongers
04-07-2011, 19:01
I thought that this list of venues taken from the olympic website (http://www.london2012.com/venues)would be useful.

Olympic Park
Stratford Tube - E15 1AZ

Brands Hatch (paralympic Road Cycling)
DA3 8NG

City of Coventry Stadium (football)
CV6 6GE

Earls Court (volleyball)
SW5 9TA

Eton Dorney (rowing/canoe)
SL4 6QP

ExCEL (boxing/wrestling/table tennis etc)
E16 1XL

Greenwich Park (equestrian)
The Greenwich Park (pub) SE10 9JH

Hadleigh Farm (mountain biking)
SS7 2AP

Hampden Park (football)
G42 9BA

Hampton Court Palace (road cycling)
KT8 9AU

Horse Guards Parade (beach volleyball)
SW1A 1DH

Hyde Park (triathlon/marathon swimming)
The Swan W2 3PH

Lee Valley White Water Centre (canoe slalom)
EN9 1AB

Lords Cricket Ground (Archery)
NW8 8QN

The Mall (finish for marathon/road walking/road cycling)
Lord Man of the Mall SW1A 2DY

Millennium Stadium (football)
CF10 1NS

North Greenwich Arena Millennium Dome (Artistic Gymnastics/Trampoline etc)
SE10 0bb

Old Trafford (football)
M16 0RA

Royal Artillery Barracks Woolwich Common (shooting/paralympic archery)
The Fox Under Hill SE18 4LT

St James Park (Newcastle) (football)
NE1 4ST

Wembley Arena (badminton/rhythmic gymnastics)
HA9 0DW

Wembley Stadium (football)
HA9 0WS

Weymouth Bay & Portland Harbour (sailing)
Royal Portland Arms DT5 1SA

Wimbledon (tennis)
SW19 5AE

oldboots
04-07-2011, 20:24
I thought that this list of venues taken from the olympic website (http://www.london2012.com/venues)would be useful.

Olympic Park
Brands Hatch (paralympic Road Cycling)
City of Coventry Stadium (football)
Earls Court (volleyball)
Eton Dorney (rowing/canoe)
ExCEL (boxing/wrestling/table tennis etc)
Greenwich Park (equestrian)
Hadleigh Farm (mountain biking)
Hampden Park (football)
Hampton Court Palace (road cycling)
Horse Guards Parade (beach volleyball)
Hyde Park (triathlon/marathon swimming)
Lee Valley White Water Centre (canoe slalom)
Lords Cricket Ground (Archery)
The Mall (finish for marathon/road walking/road cycling)
Millennium Stadium (football)
North Greenwich Arena Millennium Dome (Artistic Gymnastics/Trampoline etc)
Old Trafford (football)
Royal Artillery Barracks Woolwich Common (shooting/paralympic archery)
St James Park (Newcastle) (football)
Wembley Stadium and Arena (football and badminton/rhythmic gymnastics)
Weymouth Bay & Portland Harbour (sailing)
Wimbledon (tennis)

Ahhhhh now.... wouldn't we fall foul of the nonesense about sponsorship here? Surely we could only link the Olympics and venues if they were part of the official sponsors - in the case of beer (in a very loose sense) that would be Heinekin and its UK subsiduaries (S&N, Caledonian etc) ?

Andy Ven
04-07-2011, 20:39
There must be clues in various fanzines.

I can offer Walsall possibilities:

King George IV King George V (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38871/)
New Fulbrook New Fullbrook (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38885/)
White Lion White Lion Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38964/)

Strongers
04-07-2011, 20:40
Ahhhhh now.... wouldn't we fall foul of the nonesense about sponsorship here? Surely we could only link the Olympics and venues if they were part of the official sponsors - in the case of beer (in a very loose sense) that would be Heinekin and its UK subsiduaries (S&N, Caledonian etc) ?

I see no problem with listing a few choice pubs in the vicinity of the venues for the interest of tourists whilst drumming up a bit of trade for the locals. It's not like this site is advertising itself pretending to be an affiliate of the cashlympics.

Also, I've added the postcodes to the venue list.

Strongers
27-07-2011, 21:27
Is anything happening with this thread content or has interest been lost?