PDA

View Full Version : cask pub & kitchen and greene king

hondo
28-06-2011, 09:41
"You can’t have a good pub without good staff. That’s number one. Then, for us, it’s good beer."

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/90987

Farway
28-06-2011, 11:55
"You can’t have a good pub without good staff. That’s number one. Then, for us, it’s good beer."

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/90987

Here it is on PuG (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22988/)

from the PuG reviews seems food is low down on the list, Billy Bamboo was not impressed, and nor was Quinno's mate

Seems you cannot please everybody all the time, not that I am ever likely to visit the place

Paris_Hilton
28-06-2011, 11:55
I'm all for good beer, but £8/pint is a bit steep, don't you think?

Al 10000
28-06-2011, 16:24
I'm all for good beer, but £8/pint is a bit steep, don't you think?

I went in this pub when it was called the Pimlico Tram,it was a proper estate type pub that was comfortable and had GK IPA and Abbot on the bar at a reasonable price.

I think that these new real ale pubs that serve loads of beers are taking the *iss out of drinkers.

ROBCamra
28-06-2011, 17:36
I went in this pub when it was called the Pimlico Tram,it was a proper estate type pub that was comfortable and had GK IPA and Abbot on the bar at a reasonable price.

I think that these new real ale pubs that serve loads of beers are taking the *iss out of drinkers.

I also went in the Pimlico Tram, probably later than you Al as it was a "proper estate pub" by then which meant loads of low-lifes both inside and out and open drug dealing going on.

I had a quick pint and left.

Mind you, with your perchant for going into dodgy pubs on even dodgier estates, you probably thought it was quite smart Al. :evilgrin:

PaulOfHorsham
28-06-2011, 17:55
I popped in several months after it opened as Cask and got chatting to a local. He said that he'd never have gone near the place when it was the Tram.

I think that these new real ale pubs that serve loads of beers are terrific and I'd like to see more of them. There's a time and a place for London Pride*. Specifically: occasionally & not everywhere.

* Insert name of local ubiquitous beer here.

rpadam
28-06-2011, 20:17
I popped in several months after it opened as Cask and got chatting to a local. He said that he'd never have gone near the place when it was the Tram.

I think that these new real ale pubs that serve loads of beers are terrific and I'd like to see more of them. There's a time and a place for London Pride*. Specifically: occasionally & not everywhere.

* Insert name of local ubiquitous beer here.
Also shows what can be done with a Greene King tenancy, too, with a bit - actually, I suspect, rather a lot - of effort...

Strongers
29-06-2011, 13:02
There are plenty of Pimlico Tram type pubs in London so I think it is a good thing when one of these pubs start up, even if they don't interest me that much. It's all about choice.

Al 10000
29-06-2011, 13:44
I also went in the Pimlico Tram, probably later than you Al as it was a "proper estate pub" by then which meant loads of low-lifes both inside and out and open drug dealing going on.

I had a quick pint and left.

Mind you, with your perchant for going into dodgy pubs on even dodgier estates, you probably thought it was quite smart Al. :evilgrin:

I went in the Pimlico Tram on the 11 January 2008 and yes i did think the pub was quite smart and comfortable,there may have been a few dodgy people in there but i tend to fit in with these low lifes and dont look to out of place when visiting these types of pubs.

As for dodgy pubs on dodgy estates i have got some real corkers to add to the site in the near future as i have now got about 400 of my Manchester photos put on disc and added to my pub list.

I still stand by my original post, i am a real ale drinker but these new real ale pubs that are popping up selling rare beers may be a good thing but they should'nt be charging £8 for a pint whatever the strength.

I hope it all turns to vinegar.

Alesonly
29-06-2011, 20:12
£8.00 for a Pint £3.95 for a Scotch Egg & £2.95 for A sausage Roll. Thats £20.00 for a couple of Pints & a Sausage Roll Its A bit too expensive for me.. :whistle:Been the once it was OK but I would not go again as its a walk from the nearest station.

Oggwyn Trench
29-06-2011, 21:14
£8.00 for a Pint £3.95 for a Scotch Egg & £2.95 for A sausage Roll. Thats £20.00 for a couple of Pints & a Sausage Roll Its A bit too expensive for me.. :whistle:Been the once it was OK but I would not go again as its a walk from the nearest station.

£8 for a f**kin pint , i was moaning at £2.25 for a pint of Hobsons Mild last night , i am so glad i live up here

PaulOfHorsham
29-06-2011, 22:23
Well, I've held off long enough.....:p

No one's forced to pay £8 for beer. The ale's at £3.45. OK, expensive for some but not, sadly, outrageous for London. And that expensive beer isn't Greene King IPA, it'll be Tripel Hop Black IPA from the Tiny Brewery of Smallville Arkansas (or similar). Not cheap stuff to get hold of I suspect and, if this sort of thing doesn't sell, the pub will be going out of business pretty quickly.

That it isn't suggests that there is a demand for something out of the ordinary, something unusual, maybe even a little challenging. Personally, I get more than a little tired of pubs that offer unimaginative ale in 3 shades of brown.

This is Central London we're talking about after all. If you don't like it, there's an alternative just a few minutes away (about 1 minute (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56659/) in Cask's case).

Quinno
29-06-2011, 22:46
What Paul said. :p

rpadam
30-06-2011, 00:31
The Tram was rather nasty, the Cask is not. People go out of their way to visit now, whereas they went out of their way to avoid previously.

PaulOfHorsham
30-06-2011, 07:17
What rpadam said...

trainman
30-06-2011, 07:44
I visited fairly early in its renaissance as Cask and was impressed with the beery direction Martin was taking the place, and he has continued to improve selection further, albeit at a price premium. That said, I've spent more than £3.45 in places with inferior choice and quality but, unlike Cask, only once! I suggested London Drinker and posted a positive review elsewhere - the first of many before a particularly nasty stream of trolling (unmoderated, of course) led to a de-listing - a pathetic kow-tow to the trolls, if you ask me, so it is good to see the achievement of poty and the very impressive turnover figures.

There was one bottle I heard ordered though, at ~£30, that had me reaching for the speciality menu. The 'unlabelled' Belgian turned out to be just 10.5% and I noted the name (can't recall it now). Googled it when back home and found that visitors to the monastery had to advise car license plate etc in advance to limit customers to no more than one crate per month, but the lucky ones on the list could buy a case (x24) of this same beer for ~28 euros!! Nice mark-up if you can get it...

hondo
30-06-2011, 08:34
The cask certainly seems to get peoples attention (trying to forget the dark side :rolleyes:). Main reason for posting was the involvement of greene king which i didn't know about. As a teuchter i look forward to visiting metropolises around the country and will go with the flow over pricing paying prices that would bring tears to the eyes of many in teuchterville.

gillhalfpint
30-06-2011, 09:33
Agree with Trainman. We only went to see the Cask however BECAUSE of all the things going on at the other site. I like to make my own mind up, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I also want to try the new bar, and will be adventurous and try something new. It is not as if I will be paying high prices every time I go to a bar, so it will be worth it for me. Will plan a day down to London, probably in September to go round the iconic bars.

Al 10000
30-06-2011, 17:10
The Tram was rather nasty, the Cask is not. People go out of their way to visit now, whereas they went out of their way to avoid previously.

I did'nt, i went in the Pimlico Tram and walked by the flats to get to the Pride of Pimlico and i travelled all the way from Nottingham to do these pubs as well as several other pubs on my crawl.

Quinno
30-06-2011, 17:44
I did'nt, i went in the Pimlico Tram and walked by the flats to get to the Pride of Pimlico and i travelled all the way from Nottingham to do these pubs as well as several other pubs on my crawl.

I think you're a pretty unusual case, in fairness! :)