PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 3 July 2011)

ROBCamra
27-06-2011, 11:54
Oggwyn Trench: Salamander Golden Oldie
oldboots: Salamander UFO Tofu
Spinko: Welbeck Abbey First Brew
Alesonly: Grafton Encore
Quinno: More Somerland Gold
gillhalfpint: Blue Anchor Spingo Special
aleandhearty: Crown Near Enough
Bucking Fastard: Oakham Citra
Thuck Phat: Kelham Island Easy Rider
ROBCamra: Magic Rock High Wire
rpadam: Gadds No. 7
Pubsignman: Flowerpots Triple B
RogerB: Moor Northern Star
runningdog: Sixpenny 6d Special

ROBCamra
01-07-2011, 11:26
Called in the Port Street Beer House last night on the way to Stock for a meal.

BrewDog Alice Porter, Kirkstall Black Band Porter & Magic Rock High Wire.

The Magic Rock is winning at the moment. A great beer from a brand new brewery. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
03-07-2011, 19:47
OK week including a couple in the Cock Hotel mid-week for a change

Hobsons - Mild
Rowton - Bitter
Sadlers - Samurai
Shires - Ginger Cob
Shires - Severn Gorgeous
Salamander - Golden Oldie
Spitting Feathers - Solstice

BOTW Salamander - Golden Oldie , just shades it from the Shires - Ginger Cob

oldboots
03-07-2011, 19:50
Two days of good drinking for me this week so a difficult choice, three beers stand out Leeds Midnight Bell which I guess is a MILD or maybe just a porter, new boys Yorkshire Heart of Nun Monkton near York with their Hearty Bitter ( crap name, excellent beer) and my BOTW the outstanding Salamander UFO Tofu (no bean curd used in its production!)

BTW the pub had run out of Salamander Golden Oldie just before I bought a pint of it ............grrrr.

Spinko
03-07-2011, 20:00
Hardknott - Queboid (Port St Beer House, Manchester)
Oakham - Citra (Bartons Arms, north of Birmingham)
Welbeck Abbery Brewery - First Brew (The Anchor, Digbeth, Birmingham). Absolutely astonishing this one, and was flying out of the taps. I'll have this as my beer of the week, month...and most likely the year! -the locals told me this was the brewery's first beer but I'd had a few and wasn't sure whether to trust them.

Alesonly
03-07-2011, 21:41
Only had a few limited Ales this week that were Stones Best Bitter Butcombe Blond & Grafton Encore.

I will go for Grafton Encore As beer of the week.

Quinno
03-07-2011, 22:33
Moor Somerland Gold at The Grapes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31732/) on a crawl with Roger. Had it at The Black Friar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23505/) a month back and it was spot on there too :D

gillhalfpint
04-07-2011, 09:07
Had a lot of local ales at the beer festival at the Star in Vogue this week, but my BOTW has to be Blue Anchor Spingo Special that I had at the Britannia in Chacewater. Liquid nectar. The one at the festival didn't come close.

aleandhearty
04-07-2011, 10:06
A very quiet week for me, just the four tried:

Fernandes - Sundog IPA.
Castle Rock - Elsie Mo.
Crown - Near Enough.
Brewsters - Stilton Porter.

Fortunately, they were all pretty good, but the Near Enough just shades it from the Sundog IPA. Like Titanic, Crown is another brewery I've yet to have a duff beer from.

aleandhearty
04-07-2011, 10:13
Hearty Bitter ( crap name, excellent beer)

Oh, I don't know. It has a certain appeal....:whistle:

Quinno
04-07-2011, 10:38
A very quiet week for me, just the four tried:
Brewsters - Stilton Porter.

Please tell me that there was no cheese in this! :sick:

Bucking Fastard
04-07-2011, 11:01
Good start to last week ,several pub visits while navigating some of the lesser used canals of the West Midlands which meant pulling a lot of detritus off the prop by hand,no dead animals this time.

BOTW goes to Oakham Citra from The Bartons Arms ,Aston which flew down on a warm evening and after encountering a vast number of women of a certain age all heading towards Villa Park for a Take That concert.:eek:

aleandhearty
04-07-2011, 11:14
Please tell me that there was no cheese in this! :sick:

:D Ah, so that's what the little blue and white bits were. Fear not Quinno, just a very good rich porter

Thuck Phat
04-07-2011, 11:39
A few to choose from this week including:
Oakham - Attila, Bishops Farewell, Citra
Banks Bitter
Salopian Shropshire Gold
Exe Valley Sterling Silver
Burton Bridge Waywiser
Kelham Island Easy Rider

All the Oakham ales were top quality and I agree with Mr Fastard that the Citra really hits the spot on a warm evening but BOTW is going to Kelham Island Easy Rider which was as surprising as it was outstanding being served in the beer tent at a local country show.

ROBCamra
04-07-2011, 11:52
Called in the Port Street Beer House last night on the way to Stock for a meal.

BrewDog Alice Porter, Kirkstall Black Band Porter & Magic Rock High Wire.

The Magic Rock is winning at the moment. A great beer from a brand new brewery. :cheers:

I'm going to stick with the Magic Rock High Wire despite Howard Town Dark Peak making a late bid on Saturday. :cheers:

rpadam
05-07-2011, 00:00
Two good beers found in slightly unexpected places:

Shepherd Neame Spitfire (direct from the barrel in the 'Bread & Roses' real ale bar) at the Hop Farm music festival, and much cheaper than all this fizz that people were queuing for at the other bars...

Gadds No. 7 (again, direct from the barrel) at the school fete - excellent choice by the organising committee, and this week's winner for me.

PS - I guess that both were bright beers, but certainly none the worse for that.

Pubsignman
05-07-2011, 00:08
I'm going to give BOTW to Flowerpots Triple B - straight from the barrel in the Flowerpots Inn, Cheriton - a good way to kick off the Winchester crawl.

RogerB
06-07-2011, 15:27
It was such a hectic week (36 different pubs, let alone pints) that a choice is as hard as anything I have done on the BotW thread but the Moor Northern Star at the Eagle & Child in Oxford was such a standout pint that it is as worthy as anything!

RogerB
06-07-2011, 15:31
[QUOTE=rpadam;34533]Gadds No. 7QUOTE]

The boss at one of my local 'Spoons was open for some guest ale options recently and I mentioned that we never see Gadds or Goachers in Dartford despite them being brewed by Kent breweries. He got on to them and they both said they wouldn't deliver that far. Lazy gits!

Wittenden
06-07-2011, 17:49

The boss at one of my local 'Spoons was open for some guest ale options recently and I mentioned that we never see Gadds or Goachers in Dartford despite them being brewed by Kent breweries. He got on to them and they both said they wouldn't deliver that far. Lazy gits!
Don't know what Eddie Gadd drives, but Goacher's used to run a Morris !000 van: I doubt it could have got up Wrotham Hill!

rpadam
06-07-2011, 20:48

Mind you, I think the Ramsgate Brewery is nearer Belgium than Dartford!

PaulOfHorsham
06-07-2011, 21:31

I think it's more likely that they have something against your town Roger :D - Eddie's certainly delivered to the Evening Star in Brighton and I'm pretty sure I've spotted a pump in Cask from time to time as well.

Pubsignman
06-07-2011, 22:46
The Grove in :eek:Huddersfield:eek: has at least one Gadd's beer on at any given time.

runningdog
07-07-2011, 20:24
Sixpenny's 6d Special was my BotW, rapidly becoming a firm favourite of mine. Not that it had much competition as I'm still a somewhat infrequent, not to say, erratic, inbiber at the moment..........