PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall holiday

gillhalfpint
24-06-2011, 09:34
Decided to start a new thread to put all my trips and stuff about Cornwall to save opening a new one for each place.

Yesterday was a trip to Brea Inn which involved a walk from Pool, but the pub was greatand the Keltek Magic fantastic.

Meant to go to St Erth Praze for the Smugglers but was told the walk was too far, so we went to Hayle and visited the Bird in Hand for some of their Paradise brewery ale. Artists Ale was brilliant at 5.6% but the new one Oskar's Alchemy was a bit bland for 4.8%. A 547 bus trip from Hayle to St Agnes located 2 other pubs we intend doing on that route, Red River Inn at Gwithian and Victory at Towan Cross.

Must fly now as we have a bus to catch to Lelant for the Watermill fest.

Quinno
24-06-2011, 11:15
I'm jealous!

Farway
24-06-2011, 16:07
Care to park your caravan near Winchester next Friday (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?7322-Winchester-and-Cheriton-in-July.)?

Handy for the A303. M27, M3 and A34

Spinko
24-06-2011, 16:39
I had a university meet-up there around this time last June. The weather played ball.

Newquay was serving good ale with Proper Job and Tribute battling it out for top spot, while the World Cup was going on and vuvuzelas were blaring.

In terms of pubs I just could not get over the Mermaid Inn slightly down the coast. The pub on the beach. I don't think I've ever had a better time in a nondescript pub, that was purely because of its location.

gillhalfpint
25-06-2011, 09:28
We forgot the Watermill fest doesn't open till 5pm on a Friday, and when we got in ther marquee there was a row of half pint glasses with some beer from every cask ready for their tasting. We chatted to the landlord and staff while they went along the row tasting each beer, and I must say it was great to see how clear the beers were, and that there appeared to be more brown beers than pale for a change. When they got the till set up they let us have a couple of halves so we had a Skinners special 'Jules' in memory of someone, and a Branscombe Draymans Best which I could have stayed on it was so good. Went into the pub for a soup and an excellent Bays Devon Dumpling.

Decided to do the festival properly Saturday so we caught the 547 bus to the Victory in Towan Cross, but their Skinners for the pub (Kiss Me Harder) was not settled so we chose Skinners Cornish Knocker. Problem with these pubs is the 2 hour wait for the next bus, so we had some food, a bit pricey but excellent fish and chips, and pie mash veg and loads of gravy, Still had some time to kill so I read a book while Ray had a Tribute, then we went to wait in the phonebox for the bus to get out of the wind.

Will go to the Red River Inn at Gwithian today then back to the fest at Watermill to do it justice this time. In Conwall till the end of July so caravan staying put in Chacewater.

gillhalfpint
25-06-2011, 20:20
Gwithian, Lelant and Chacewater today.

Anyone wanting a bit of variety from the usual down here should try the Red River Inn at Gwithian near Hayle. The 547 bus runs along between St Ives and Newquay, and drops off outside.

OK there may not be any new scoops, but they do have 5 ales on and get guests in. Today there was Sharps Doom Bar 4.0% which is the regular, Skinners Sennen 3.8%, The pump is usually one of Skinners, and the other 3 vary, and today there was Triple FFF Altons Pride 3.8%, Black Sheep Golden Sheep 3.9% and Everards Whakatu 3.7% a new one this year.

We then went to the Watermill Lelant for the beer festival, and due to the dry weather there was a fantastic atmosphere in the beer garden with a band playing in one marquee with no sides, and the beer being served from another. Our choice from the 36 available were:
Milk Street Funky Monkey 4.0%
Penpont Roughter 4.7%
Woodlands Oak Beauty 4.2%
Cheddar Ales Bitter Bully 3.8%
Lancaster Red 5.0%

We had to leave for the bus, but had heard that the Britannia in Chacewater was under new management, and that really has changed. There were 4 ales on in great condition, and we chose Coastal Overkill 4.5% and Tintagel Harbour Special 4.8%.

A great day for Cornwall regarding beer choices, and will certainly call in to both the Red River and Britannia again to see what ales come on.

aleandhearty
27-06-2011, 15:41
....so we went to Hayle and visited the Bird in Hand for some of their Paradise brewery ale. Artists Ale was brilliant at 5.6%....

Gwithian, Lelant and Chacewater today.

Anyone wanting a bit of variety from the usual down here should try the Red River Inn at Gwithian near Hayle. OK there may not be any new scoops, but they do have 5 ales on and get guests in.

We then went to the Watermill Lelant for the beer festival, Our choice from the 36 available were:
Milk Street Funky Monkey 4.0%

Following this thread quite closely, as we will be heading for St Ives again in five weeks. Will almost certainly get to the Red River Inn, as a visit to Gwithian is already pencilled in. Made a note of The Bird in Hand. I'm ashamed to say I've never quite got round to visiting The Watermill, even though it's only a couple of miles from where we usually stay. The fact it's so close to the roundabout, with limited parking doesn't help. Hopefully, this time. Have to agree about Funky Monkey - lovely stuff! A previous BOTW.

gillhalfpint
28-06-2011, 11:07
Going to do all 3 pubs in Chacewater today as they all need photos and reviews, and will be on the 300 to do the Botallack pub, Queens Arms too. Weather starting to improve so will get some 300 journeys in.

Moonraker
07-07-2011, 10:40
What a great idea - enjoying reading your exploits! Funnily enough, we were in Cornwall the same week. We stayed in Porthleven, and I was very impressed with The Ship Inn (http://www.theshipinncornwall.co.uk/). A couple of Sharp's, Doom Bar and Honey Gold - I'm not a great lover of Doom Bar, but it was in really good condition - and Courage Best were on offer. The food was superb. The Harbour Inn was a fairly typical St Austell pub, but the HSD was very good. The Atlantic Inn had a bit of a feel of a holiday clubhouse to it, but nevertheless served a great pint of Skinner's Figgy's and had a friendly atmosphere. I find Skinner's ales are far tastier than Sharp's, although Sharp's Atlantic IPA is exteremly tasty.

gillhalfpint
08-07-2011, 09:34
Visited Chacewater on 28/6 to see what the 3 pubs were doing and get photos. The Rambling Miner was closed, but was opening on 1 July under new management. We went on 1 July and there was 1 real ale on, but it was Fullers Summer Ale which made a refreshing change.

Britannia Inn was always a favourite under the old management, and does seem to have improved under the new with 4 real ales on and served in good condition too. The pool table has gone and a stage set up. Monday is Jamming Session night, and folk can use the instruments on the stage. Tintagel Castle Gold and Skinners Porthleven on 28th, Blue Anchor Spingo Special on 30th and 1 July. Food sampled on 1 July and Lasagne was excellent - not served in a pot so tasty without being sloppy.

Kings Head had only 1 ale on, Skinners Betty Stogs, but not bad. They have a few screens around, and a great beer garden. Food menu there looks good too.

On 29th we took the 300 bus from St Ives to go to the Queens Arms in Botallack, a Good Beer Guide pub new to us. Skinners Heligan Honey and Sennen on there, plus Sharps Doom Bar and Pressgang cider. Food a bit pricey, so just had the soup and pud which were very good and ample proportions. Botallack also served by other buses 10 ands 507.
Sat 2/7 was good as we bussed up to St Day and walked to the Star at Vogue from there. It can be reached by bus from Redruth 543. There was a beer fest with music from loads of bands doing around 1 hour each all day, and with the sun out it made for a great day. Beers in an adjoining marquee to the one with the bands, and they were good - both beers and bands - while we were there. Although we had had the beers before, it did not matter. The day in good company made it worth while. We had beers from Potbelly, Coastal, Forge (Ring o Bells), Penpont, St Austell, All Saints, Skinners, Dartmoor, RCH, and Blue Anchor.

Yesterday we went to Penzance to get the no 2 coastal bus to Falmouth vis Helston, giving us a bit of time at the Blue Anchor where we tried WnK Royal, a ruby ale at 6.6 as well as their Special at 6.6. The Front was serving plenty of ales and we chose Coastal Maelstrom and Brains SA from the casks on stillage. Both were good. Quayside was a disappointment as 7 handpulls but only Marstons EPA available so we just had the soup, and although cheap it was not a good portion.

That's us up to date.

aleandhearty
29-07-2011, 15:19
Heading down to St Ives on Monday for twelve days, so probably off the boards for a while. No doubt I'll be darkening the doors of The Castle a few times, but hope to make the beer festival at The Witchball, Lizard next weekend. You never know Roger, if I'm feeling optimistic, I might even take another chance on 'the Helston pub'. :)

gillhalfpint
30-07-2011, 17:26
Don't forget Lizard 2000 beer festival at Helston Football Club near Tesco. We have been there the past 3 years in July, but they have moved it to August so we miss it this year. 4 - 6 Aug. Believe Witchball is 5 - 7 Aug so you will have fun.

aleandhearty
31-07-2011, 21:51
Don't forget Lizard 2000 beer festival at Helston Football Club near Tesco.

Thanks for that Gill, I hadn't realised it was on. I suspect it will be have to be one or the other, don't think I'll manage both, with two teenage girls to contend with!