PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 26 June 2011)

ROBCamra
22-06-2011, 15:38
Bucking Fastard : Bass
Quinno : Buxton Mild
Alesonly : Phoenix Wobbly Bob
Spinko: Camden Inner City Green
Thuck Phat: Salopian Darwin Origin
Oggwyn Trench: Purple Moose Milestone
Gillhalfpint: Everards Whakatu
ROBCamra: Barnsley Special Pale Ale
aleandhearty: Kirkstall Black Band Porter
Pubsignman: Goddards Fuggle De Dum

Bucking Fastard
24-06-2011, 11:28
Decided to nominate early rather than be tail end Charlie,as I will be in the Midlands from Sunday.The wonderful Thornbridge Kipling was in the lead until pipped by Bass.According to ratebeer this is now brewed under contract by Marstons for Interbrew UK,but that arrangement may have changed,as oldboots mentioned another source in the thread about the sad demise of Tetley's Brewery,Leeds.Who ever is brewing Bass now has done a great job,I have had a few good pints while in Staffs ,the latest being in The Clifford Arms,Great Haywood.Smooth and with that sulpherous nose when down to the last third of the pint,an easy satisying quaff.Unlikely to be topped on tonights visit to The Dove,Hammersmith.

Quinno
24-06-2011, 12:22
I must try and do this thread more often. My BotW is already decided - an amazing pint of Buxton Mild (I forget the exact name) in the Euston Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71412/) on Wednesday. Possibly the best beer I've had this year, and I've sunk a few.

Spinko
24-06-2011, 16:47
I must try and do this thread more often. My BotW is already decided - an amazing pint of Buxton Mild (I forget the exact name) in the Euston Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71412/) on Wednesday. Possibly the best beer I've had this year, and I've sunk a few.

Not had anything that's blown me away yet this week. Which is surprising considering I've had:

Brewdog Punk IPA bottle
Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA bottle
Camden Innercity Green cask
Thornbridge Jaipur cask
Brewdog 5am Saint keg
Brewdog Punk keg
Brewdog Hardcore IPA bottle
Marble Summer Marble

Looking at that list I'm astounded I found them all ordinary. Two more days left...

Alesonly
25-06-2011, 02:41
Only decent pint this week was Phoenix Brewery PHOENIX WOBBLY BOB 6.0% ABV

Phoenix Wobbly Bob

Spinko
25-06-2011, 15:22
Not had anything that's blown me away yet this week. Which is surprising considering I've had:

Brewdog Punk IPA bottle
Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA bottle
Camden Innercity Green cask
Thornbridge Jaipur cask
Brewdog 5am Saint keg
Brewdog Punk keg
Brewdog Hardcore IPA bottle
Marble Summer Marble

Looking at that list I'm astounded I found them all ordinary. Two more days left...

Gonna have to make it Camden Innercity Green from the Adelphi in Leeds. Fresh, cut grass, hoppy, an overall nice pint and only 3.9%. I think it's my lowest ABV BOTW.

Thuck Phat
26-06-2011, 15:26
Only 2 to choose from this week, Oakham Bishops Farewell and the outstanding Salopian Darwin Origin which is BOTW.

Oggwyn Trench
26-06-2011, 17:18
OK session last night ,

Newmans - Greenlady
Otter - Amber
Dowbribge - Morgans BB
Purple Moose - Milestone
Slaters - Queen Bee
Marston Moor - Darter Dragonfly
Rudgate - Chippies Cut

Nothing really outstanding but the Purple Moose - Milestone just about shades it

gillhalfpint
27-06-2011, 10:12
Like another on here my BOTW is a low ABV.

Everards Whakatu 3.7% which we enjoyed in Red River Inn at Gwithian this week. Lovely friendly pub with 5 ales on and changing guests, which is great to see in Cornwall.

ROBCamra
27-06-2011, 10:47
After the last couple of weeks it's been a rather more mundane selection this week.

Batemans Miss Whiplash was good in The Baum.

But BOTW is going to be the excellent, if rather dangerous Barnsley Special Pale Ale, tried in The Regal Moon. 5.7% but doesn't really taste like it until you've nearly finished the second pint. :cheers:

aleandhearty
27-06-2011, 15:24
Fairly quiet for me this week. Tried the following:

Kirkstall Brewery Co - Three Swords.
Kirkstall Brewery Co - Black Band Porter.
Boggart - Dark MILD.
Burley Street Brewhouse - Francorchamps SPA.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.
Fernandes - Rum & Raisin.
Fernandes - Brock's Bitter.
Allgates - Beltane.
Ossett - Excelsior.

Although the Malt Shovel is always near the top of the pile, the clear winner was Kirkstall Brewery Co. Black Band Porter. A stunning beer.

Pubsignman
27-06-2011, 16:16
Orkney Dragonhead Stout continued a rather fine run of excellent ales that I've tried from this particular brewery.

However, BOTW goes to Goddards Fuggle De Dum - a fine malty beer with plenty of dried fruit flavours.

RogerB
27-07-2011, 12:17
Just going back through ny BofW's and realise I'm a few behind. This wasn't a great week but the Youngs Waggledance made a welcome return for me at the Court House in Dartford. Not a great fan of Youngs but this is one of the best of them.