PDA

View Full Version : One for our Kent contributors....

aleandhearty
22-06-2011, 09:29
Whilst having a stab at the Eggheads quiz in next week's Radio Times, I came across the following question:

Q: A speciality in Kent, and sometimes flavoured with hops, what sort of food is a "huffkin"?

A: a. Teacake b. Apple pie c. Blood sausage

I correctly guessed it was a teacake, but have to admit I'd never heard of it. However, I'm really curious to know what bread flavoured with hops tastes like. Any of our Kent members tried one?

RogerB
22-06-2011, 09:46
Never heard of it but I'm on the edge on Kent / London and we are not as Wicker Man'ish in these parts as some of our more rural Kent correspondents.

ROBCamra
22-06-2011, 10:06
Isn't Huffkin a Ringwood aka Marston's brew?

aleandhearty
22-06-2011, 10:16
Isn't Huffkin a Ringwood aka Marston's brew?

So it is. I have to doff my cap to you on that one ROB. No info on the brewery website, I suspect because it's seasonal, but mentioned here:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ringwood-huffkin/28196/

It's interesting that the commercial description mentions the hop flavoured teacakes are particularly popular at harvest time in September.

Wittenden
22-06-2011, 19:40
I've lived in Kent for a considerable length of time, but hadn't heard of 'em until recently. Richard at one of the farmers markets we sell at sells them along with other artisanal breads.They are very popular, selling like hot cakes-but unfortunately I can't eat bread, so I can't report on them personally.

Spinko
25-06-2011, 16:06
If you started this thread with a load of north-westernern England posters you'd be deluged.

In Salford we call it a barmcake.
Next door, in Bolton, they call it a muffin.
In Wigan, it's a barm
In other strange neabry places it is also called a roll, a cob...

aleandhearty
27-06-2011, 15:05
If you started this thread with a load of north-westernern England posters you'd be deluged.

In Salford we call it a barmcake.
Next door, in Bolton, they call it a muffin.
In Wigan, it's a barm
In other strange neabry places it is also called a roll, a cob...

And there was me thinking I'd started a thread on hop flavouring.