PDA

View Full Version : Plastic glasses

Old Blue
18-06-2011, 10:44
Last night at a 'plastic glasses only' venue (somewhat under protest, I hasten to add) I noticed that the glasses felt (both to the hand and the mouth) very plasticky and naff when filled with ale at room temperature, but actually not that different from glass when filled with a chilled cider or lager. Have others found the same, and can anyone tell me why this is?

Alesonly
18-06-2011, 11:04
I think it is just that cold beers like lager make the plastic hard & tend to hide the taste. I recently got served a Plastic Pint dimpled Jug in a Pub I was in. I did not even notice it was plastic till I had drank the beer and realized the glass was so light. I found it OK but would have preferred a Glass one but it was acceptable as it was a place full of :twigs::twigs::twigs: & candles not a proper Pub.:D

Conrad
18-06-2011, 11:12
I knew that chemistry degree would come in handy one day.

Basically it is the drink reacting with the glass, so you begin tasting the plastic in the drink. You can quench the reaction by cooling it though (every 10 degrees heat halves the speed of the reaction), so a chilled drink means that the taste of plastic leaches into your drink significantly slower. This is why I always carry one of those ice packs with me whenever I go out drinking in the city centre, I hate that taste

Yes I did completely make this all up

Oggwyn Trench
18-06-2011, 12:44
Nothing to do with beer , but Coke allways tastes better out of a glass bottle

Old Blue
19-06-2011, 08:14
Thanks chaps, that makes more sense now

sheffield hatter
19-06-2011, 11:12
Yes I did completely make this all up

Nice one Conrad! I thought you said you didn't have a sense of humour?

Conrad
19-06-2011, 11:49
Nice one Conrad! I thought you said you didn't have a sense of humour?
I think I have got it out of my system for another year ;)

Gann
19-06-2011, 13:27
Actually Conrad, joking or not, you are probably along the right lines..

Glass is a more inert substance than plastic and therefore is the best substance for not reacting with the liquid inside.
And any reaction between a plastic substance and the liquid inside may we be slowed down by lower temperature.

Things are also compilcated now adays by the type of 'plastic glass'. The newer types used at some sporting venues like the Millenium Stadium and Twickenham are made from a Corn or potato starch base and are definately better at not having a plastic after taste as well as the advantage of being completely biodegradable.

Unfortunately the last time I was at wembley Stadium they were still using PTFE ones and irrespective of the temperature of the liquid, it all tasted shit !

Actually metal (as in cans) is an even less inert substance than plastic but lets not go there....

Conrad
19-06-2011, 13:33
I always think that good BS is made by seeding it with just enough truth to be believable.

I suspect that colder drinks just numb out the tastebuds that detect the plastic taste a bit more, whilst everything I said about reactions is true, I doubt you would quench the reaction enough to be so much less detectable. I am just guessing though, so the first explanation may have some truth in it.

Didn't know the bit about the base material being corn or potato starch though, interesting stuff.

Gann
19-06-2011, 14:09
Didn't know the bit about the base material being corn or potato starch though, interesting stuff.

FYI.. http://www.drinksware.co.uk/products/55/cornstarch-cups