PDA

View Full Version : Hot Time at The Cardinals Hat

arwkrite
10-01-2010, 07:13
Reported on The Worcester News website this morning.

A chimney fire at The Cardinals Hat, Friar st., Worcester caused the pub to close at 8.30 pm Thursday night.
Finally at 4.30am the next morning the Fire Service left the scene. The pub is known as the oldest in Worcester so thankfully the fire did not spread. It is now open for business.
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/4842490.Chimney_fire_at_oldest_pub/

Oggwyn Trench
10-01-2010, 13:00
I was in Worcester on Thursday , suprised anything would burn with all the snow they had

aleandhearty
10-01-2010, 17:43
I understand the Cardinal's Hat is a continental lager venue these days. However it wasn't always so. I have fond memories of the bar having 4-5 hand pumps on the go and enjoyed many Saturday lunchtime sessions there when visiting the 'outlaws'.

I remember the main room felt very' olde worlde' with its wooden panels. On one visit there must have been a Civil War re-enactment going on close by as the place was full of Sealed Knot types. It was great- just like stepping back in tme!

arwkrite
10-01-2010, 19:11
Sealed Knot ? Nahh just the locals. Fashion dont move very quickly in these parts.Its a lot like the traffic.

aleandhearty
10-01-2010, 19:19
Sealed Knot ? Nahh just the locals. Fashion dont move very quickly in these parts.

:D On fine form today I see.

ROBCamra
11-01-2010, 11:34
I understand the Cardinal's Hat is a continental lager venue these days. However it wasn't always so. I have fond memories of the bar having 4-5 hand pumps on the go and enjoyed many Saturday lunchtime sessions there when visiting the 'outlaws'.

I remember the main room felt very' olde worlde' with its wooden panels. On one visit there must have been a Civil War re-enactment going on close by as the place was full of Sealed Knot types. It was great- just like stepping back in tme!

It's actually an Austrian lager bar these days and is one of the most expensive places I've been in outside London for some time.

They also had a really smoky log fire going and it wasn't even cold. That might explain the fire.

It also felt a bit like "The Slaugthered Lamb" when we went in. Didn't like it at all. I'll add a review!

hopwas
11-01-2010, 11:46
Whatever I goes, looks like I am unlucky for some..

Visited Digbeth's famous The Dubliner..

Burned down one week later (Since happily rebuilt and reopened)

Visited Barton Arms in Aston..

Few days later, huge fire in Kitchen and later rebuilt

Visited Bull Ring Tavern in centre of B'ham..

2 rival gangs broke out and smashed the window with bar stool. Escaped through fire exit..

Visited The Newt also in B'ham..

Brum and Spurs supporters taunted each other and huge brawl broke out. Glass ashtray narrowly missed my head by inches.

To more closer to my home..

One night in The Red Lion, Hopwas.. I was playing darts then suddenly, a car crashed into the wall by jumping over the bridge. and the wall was knocked down and rebuilt.

Conrad
11-01-2010, 11:50
Hoppie,

I take it all back, I fully understand your love of JDW and think you should you should drink at their pubs as often as possible :D

Why do you still go to pubs?

hopwas
11-01-2010, 11:55
Hoppie,

I take it all back, I fully understand your love of JDW and think you should you should drink at their pubs as often as possible :D

Why do you still go to pubs?

Oi cheeky.. :rolleyes:

I love pubs as it is my blood..

Oh I wouldn't mind visit Ashton Gate.. maybe my bad luck may bring to them :p

Conrad
11-01-2010, 12:02
You're welcome to the pubs round Ashton Gate, :whistle: thats all.

hopwas
11-01-2010, 15:01
You're welcome to the pubs round Ashton Gate, :whistle: thats all.

Or you prefer me around Gasman pubs... :cheers:

Conrad
11-01-2010, 15:33
Or you prefer me around Gasman pubs... :cheers:
Please don't they actually have quite a few good pubs that I enjoy drinking at (it is near where I live).

Not so enamoured with the ones round AG, the closest all kind of remind me of JDW, clean, smart, and slightly devoid of personality (couldn't comment on the price or facilities though).

hopwas
11-01-2010, 15:35
Hmm thats bizarre since you support Bristol City.. what wrong wth its pubs?

hopwas
11-01-2010, 15:44
Found this photo of Gutted The Dubliner which I went in one week previously..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/The_Dubliner,_Irish_Quarter_after_fire.JPG

Haven't been back since then, just in case I will give them bad luck again..

Conrad
11-01-2010, 15:44
Hmm thats bizarre since you support Bristol City.. what wrong wth its pubs?
Well we now have to purchase a ticket to get into the supporters bar even though we are season ticket holders, I didn't like their prawn sandwiches anyway though.

The Wedlock across the road was as I understand it an ok home supporters pub but closed a quite a few years back now and has recently been knocked down.

A couple of the nearest pubs have been bought up by the same family, who are at least ardent supporters, but for me their pubs are a bit modern and formulaic, very much in the sports bar mould, which I guess is a good way to be profitable near a football ground, so fair play to them.

And the other major player nearby always makes me think of a meat market, oddly a lot of the players allegedly drink there :whistle:

Give me a good old fashioned wooden pub with a few board games on the side.

Conrad
11-01-2010, 15:46
Found this photo of Gutted The Dubliner which I went in one week previously..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/The_Dubliner,_Irish_Quarter_after_fire.JPG

Haven't been back since then, just in case I will give them bad luck again..
Blimey gutted is the word

arwkrite
11-01-2010, 19:23
Prawn Sandwiches !!! Prawn Sandwiches ??? AAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh. Conrad have you been drinking in cocktail bars??

hopwas
11-01-2010, 19:28
Give me a good old fashioned wooden pub with a few board games on the side.

Funnily enough.. there is pub called George in town called Coleshill is wooden and few board games... :whistle:

Conrad
11-01-2010, 20:48
Funnily enough.. there is pub called George in town called Coleshill is wooden and few board games... :whistle:
Yeah but do they get their post ? :p

Prawn Sandwiches !!! Prawn Sandwiches ??? AAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh. Conrad have you been drinking in cocktail bars??
Actually from what I hear you would be better off getting prawn sandwiches than the pies they sell at our ground, my understanding is you are better sticking to the vendors outside the ground.

Eddie86
11-01-2010, 20:53
Whatever I goes, looks like I am unlucky for some..

Visited Digbeth's famous The Dubliner..

Burned down one week later (Since happily rebuilt and reopened)

Visited Barton Arms in Aston..

Few days later, huge fire in Kitchen and later rebuilt

Visited Bull Ring Tavern in centre of B'ham..

2 rival gangs broke out and smashed the window with bar stool. Escaped through fire exit..

Visited The Newt also in B'ham..

Brum and Spurs supporters taunted each other and huge brawl broke out. Glass ashtray narrowly missed my head by inches.

To more closer to my home..

One night in The Red Lion, Hopwas.. I was playing darts then suddenly, a car crashed into the wall by jumping over the bridge. and the wall was knocked down and rebuilt.

:eek::eek::eek::twigs::eek::eek::eek:

I've never had to bar someone before they come in the pub before...

hopwas
11-01-2010, 21:20
:eek::eek::eek::twigs::eek::eek::eek:

I've never had to bar someone before they come in the pub before...

Name of your pub please... I may pop in for couple of pints. :whistle:

hopwas
11-01-2010, 21:25
Yeah but do they get their post ? :p

Heh.. you are trying being too funny :rolleyes:

arwkrite
11-01-2010, 23:16
About five years ago me and the mrs went to a mates wedding at a fancy hotel on the outskirts of Hereford. We had booked a room as it was obvious I would be way over the driving limit. My mrs was about to start the long winded job of "getting ready" and recommended I popped down to the bar for a pint and bring her back a large brandy. I met some mates and were chatting away when a sudden deluge of water came through the ceiling above the bar . It soaked everything, including the bar staff, and blew the electrics. I suddenly realised our room was above the bar and rushed back finding Lynne happily showering away.
It was quickly established the shower piping was at fault, much to Lynne's relief. We were given a room upgrade and some off the bill to offset the ribald comments we put up with off my mates.
At an Innkeepers lodge in Redhill ,Surrey we had the bed collapse. I will leave that to your imagination. We were ages opening the door to concerned staff because we had a serious attack of the giggles.:whistle: