PDA

View Full Version : Newquay pub crawl

gillhalfpint
14-06-2011, 08:49
Off to the Falcon in St Mawgan by Newquay airport today, and have made a list of 10 pubs listed for Newquay that have no photos or reviews. We have about 30 mins between buses going out, but possibly over an hour coming back through Newquay, so thought we would at least try to get a photo and comments on what the establishments are as some of the names may mean they are bars for the teeny boppers who go clubbing in this neck of the woods.

Will report later!

gillhalfpint
15-06-2011, 09:09
I had a look at Newquay and made a list of 10 pubs that had no photos or reviews so that we could visit them for Pubs Galore as we were going to St Mawgan to visit the Falcon, and would be spending a bit of time in Newquay when changing buses on the way back.

Falcon Inn - St Mawgan. This is a brilliant pub in great location serving first class St Austell beer. I had a lovely thick Parsnip and Thyme soup and Ray had the Bacon Brie and Cranberry sandwich served with salad and crisps.

Steam Newquay. Large St Austell bar part of the Great Western Hotel with stunning views over the beach.

I asked directions to some of the others on my list and below is the info I got.

Plum Tree - changed its name to n/k but we couldn’t find what it is or had been on the road.
Tall Trees – now a strip club nightclub joint. I got a photo, but Ray wouldn’t let me go to look at the notices to let you know what was on!
Barracuda – pub changed to a nightclub for a while then closed a few years ago.
Blues Bar doesn’t exist.
Brunels changed to Wetherspoons many years ago. Did visit and got a photo.
Mavericks changed its name. Unsure what it is now.
Mulberry Bush no longer exists.

Can I ask where the names come from that are on the site without photos or reviews. The person I asked thought it was very funny me asking for all those closed pubs for a pub crawl.

Got to Lanherne Pub & Restaurant so got review and photo, but Godolphin Arms Hotel bar didn’t open till after 4pm, so I left PG card and took photo only.
Reviews and photos to follow.

Farway
16-06-2011, 15:01
Can I ask where the names come from that are on the site without photos or reviews. The person I asked thought it was very funny me asking for all those closed pubs for a pub crawl.

No doubt Conrad or Dave will give precise answer, but I seem to remember the "pubs" were originally gleaned from liquor licences issued, hence B & Bs popping up

Conrad
16-06-2011, 16:51
Sorry missed that. It is a purchased list, we have no idea. It seems likely to us it was done on the basis of sic codes on returns so as you say some odd ones have popped in. It is also 10 years old now I think, so anything unverified is potentially quite flaky.

I will have a proper read of the post later and sort the ones you mention out. Please always let us know when you spot rubbish we will delete them.

Conrad
16-06-2011, 22:42
Ok, had a chance to look at these now, should say straight away, sorry Gill, I kind of assume all our regulars know that our listings can be a bit flaky where they are not confirmed, I do wonder how we can improve that aspect. Anyway to the list.

Plum Tree - is now deleted and according to Royal Mail is Halos (http://www.halosnewquay.co.uk/), it was actually added by a member and my wild guess is that it was sourced from BITE (it can be found there with a picture, so it existed once).
Tall Trees - was deleted for similar reasons (added by a member).
Barracuda - I decided to delete since I was just on a roll by this point, having found a picture (http://www.newquaypubs.co.uk/barracuda_newquay.html) of it I just assumed no one would want to leave fond memories in future reviews (they can always re-add it if needs be) (added by a member).
Blues Bar - Actually looks a little more pleasant (http://newquay.enquira.co.uk/arts-entertainment/pubs-bars-inns/the-blues-bar-l277.html). But I am loving the delete key by this point, it can be re-added (original listing).
Brunels - deleted as part of Towan Blystra (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55622/) (Brunels was added by a member).
Mavericks - I believe this is now the The Brook House Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/4732/) (official site (http://www.brookhouseinnnewquay.co.uk/)) and have corrected the listing as such (original listing).
Mulberry Bush - No sign of this, there is something called Redwings listed at the postcode, but I could find no hint of that, so deleted it as well (original listing).

So surprisingly it looks like the majority of problems are actually from member contribution which was unexpected, we do try and check these, and it does look like they were once pubs. I am guessing they were all sourced from other web sites so no review or photos sadly and no real idea of when they stopped trading.

Thanks a lot for all that research, and sorry it wasn't that productive.

Old Blue
17-06-2011, 08:50
...I kind of assume all our regulars know that our listings can be a bit flaky where they are not confirmed, I do wonder how we can improve that aspect...

So surprisingly it looks like the majority of problems are actually from member contribution which was unexpected, we do try and check these, and it does look like they were once pubs. I am guessing they were all sourced from other web sites so no review or photos sadly and no real idea of when they stopped trading.

Thanks a lot for all that research, and sorry it wasn't that productive.

I've had similar findings in some other places - where you set out to visit a number of unreviewed listings in a town, you find some of them don't exist, some are pretty shoddy pubs/clubs, a few are undiscovered gems. I think it's worth doing both to clean up the site and to find the undiscovered gems. Some of us are also doing a limited amount of cleaning up through internet reseach on dubious looking entries whilst assigning areas to pubs (though evidently I didn't do that when looking at Newquay areas) but in the main I don't see any way round the reality that flaky entries will remain flaky until someone actually goes and has a look at them.

Conrad, as I recall a while back you expressed surprise that anyone would want to go and visit pubs that no-one had bothered to review. I'd suggest the answer is that it is because they need to be reviewed. Unless you actually wanted to go down the road of mass deletion of old entries that had no activity.

That said I'm also slightly surprised to hear most of the dross comes from member activity - no idea why that might be - though that would seem to indicate the mass deletion option would miss most of the dross, as well as potentially losing some real gems that are waiting to be discovered.

gillhalfpint
17-06-2011, 10:13
Thank you for all the info. We enjoyed going round Newquay really, and Ray always says that if you trot around looking for pubs, you find the real character of the place you are visiting often away from the touristy trappings.

We will try to do other towns while we are here (if it ever stops raining) and that we can travel to on the free bus passes. From the above, I feel we are doing something useful for the site.

By the way, Tall Trees was not closed as in permanently, but was closed while we were there. As a stripclub/night club we were too early for the action.

Conrad
17-06-2011, 11:14
That said I'm also slightly surprised to hear most of the dross comes from member activity - no idea why that might be - though that would seem to indicate the mass deletion option would miss most of the dross, as well as potentially losing some real gems that are waiting to be discovered.
I think to be fair this was a special case, but I was quite surprised. It has crossed my mind to delete our excess listings, my suspicion is however that we have a lot of very dedicated members and they would just reappear as we re-acquired all our pubs from every possible source on the Internet and I am not sure that would be any better.

By the way, Tall Trees was not closed as in permanently, but was closed while we were there. As a stripclub/night club we were too early for the action.
I deleted it on the basis it was a stripclub/night club rather than for being closed.

Al 10000
17-06-2011, 16:39
I have just read this thread and looked through some old books about pubs in Cornwall and i have only found imformation of two of the pubs mentioned.

The Brook House is at this address so you were right Conrad

The Mulberry Bush was still trading in 2005 and its address was rawley lane TR7 2ET but this pub did'nt stock any real ales at the time.

I hope this has helped a little bit.

gillhalfpint
19-06-2011, 10:31
When I walked up the road I went past Brook House, it was a massive place, but I didn't know at the time that it was the new name for the one I was looking for.

I don't mind doing this round the towns in Cornwall. Did Penzance yesterday, and will do a few more in the next few weeks I expect.