PDA

View Full Version : A friendly note about pictures

Conrad
08-01-2010, 15:40
Sorry about this post. With the fantastic influx we are seeing at the moment we are seeing the revival of an old problem.

Please do only post pictures you own the copyright for. Where we become suspicious we will look around and see if we can find the submitted images elsewhere on the Internet - and refuse them if we find them elsewhere.

This is partly due to wanting to avoid prosecution for copyright infringement, which we do get occasionally threatened with, but also partly on an ethical basis. Whilst there is a copyright defence of fair use if it is published on the Internet when pictures are submitted to us we credit the poster, if the poster has just taken it from someone else's work without crediting them - well if it was my work being ripped off I wouldn't be happy.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular (and to be clear there is a lot more than 1 user doing this), and indeed if we have wrongly rejected your image just let us know so that we can try and ensure we don't do it again.

As ever if I have any of that wrong just let me know, I would rather you put me in my place than stop helping to improve the PG site.

Edit: I should just add, if you know of any photos we are displaying that we haven't spotted are in breach of copyright just let us know and we will address them.

oldboots
08-01-2010, 17:42
I don't think you need to apologise, you need to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself from being sued and protect the site. There is a dialogue box asking the submitter to affirm they own the copyright before a photo uploads so it would be taken to be a deliberate act by them to mislead even if they didn't read the box, and some people don't :eek:.

Conrad
08-01-2010, 18:17
I'm not that apologetic about the content more the delivery, I swear the title should be 'a distinctly unfriendly post', 'a slap round the face for your efforts' or some other permutation. I remember I used to work in a location where the tea room was littered with 'Friendly reminders', horrible.

As you say the reminder is fairly important though, and I would prefer no one took offence at it.

Edit: Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).

Eddie86
08-01-2010, 18:26
Edit: Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).

Not again - thats 2 forums that have changed the rules before I hit the 250 mark! I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Here's a clue:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/edkilverts/spamboy.jpg

oldboots
08-01-2010, 18:36
Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).

I wasn't actually aware of that point, I had wondered about Hopwas and Soup Dragon with their peculier tags, I suppose "daft old git" might be apt, I shall have to think about this. :rolleyes:

Not again - thats 2 forums that have changed the rules before I hit the 250 mark! I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

You won't have time to "surrey" about :D not with a blog to write and a pub to put back together.

What are your plans for twigs? :p

Tilly-Miss
08-01-2010, 18:57
Very good made my day,well done with the photo that is brilliant.

runningdog
08-01-2010, 19:30

Oi, Conrad, give us a break, I don't want to be a 'spr----- -------', there, I couldn't even type such a gross calumny. Need a Beast...:drinkup:---, it didn't help. I need another---:drinkup:..........

arwkrite
08-01-2010, 23:30
Just got the 250 in my sites but cannot think at the moment of another 20 rubbish post to make. Even I have my limits.

A word on my photos. Wherever I post them I retain the copyright but have no problem with others using them for any legal purpose. I refuse to sign any agreement which gives up my copyright which can sometimes be hidden in small print. Competitions were the worst offenders.

Eddie86
08-01-2010, 23:37
I wasn't actually aware of that point, I had wondered about Hopwas and Soup Dragon with their peculier tags, I suppose "daft old git" might be apt, I shall have to think about this. :rolleyes:

You won't have time to "surrey" about :D not with a blog to write and a pub to put back together.

What are your plans for twigs? :p

I'm planting a rainforest :D;):D:eek::whistle:
:twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs:

The only wood in the place is going to be on the floor, walls, seats, tables, bar...

If you want twigs we've got a beer garden with trees and bushes
:drinkup::cheers:

Conrad
08-01-2010, 23:40
I'm planting a rainforest :D;):D:eek::whistle:
:twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs:

The only wood in the place is going to be on the floor, walls, seats, tables, bar...

If you want twigs we've got a beer garden with trees and bushes
:drinkup::cheers:
Do you not use that listed fire then Ed?

Also as to post count, thats what smilies are for ;)

Conrad
08-01-2010, 23:54
Just got the 250 in my sites but cannot think at the moment of another 20 rubbish post to make. Even I have my limits.

A word on my photos. Wherever I post them I retain the copyright but have no problem with others using them for any legal purpose. I refuse to sign any agreement which gives up my copyright which can sometimes be hidden in small print. Competitions were the worst offenders.
Well you have till the end of the weekend, and we are going to have to try and come up with some other witty references to boost it up, so plenty of time.

The copyright issue is a nightmare, we used to steal your copyright back at the start of the site, then a member kindly contacted us and pointed out that we would be better just going with a free usage licence (thanks to that member, they were very right). The bizarre logic is stuff like we thought we may use some of the images in the site design and might not twig and remove it when the original was removed. Also there is the joy of nightly backups which mean even if you delete your image it takes a while for it to disappear off the backup we make. It just seemed easier to suggest we had copyright without really realising the full implications of that.

The branding which we attach to the photos is clearly good promotion for us if the image does get stolen, but also hopefully gives a little more protection for those who don't want their images ripped off, I was quite chuffed that we set it up so that you could switch the logo between the top and bottom for images you own in one of the recent releases, thinking about it I should probably make it so that you can switch it off for those who aren't concerned with allowing fair use of their images.

Sorry ended up rambling there :(.

arwkrite
09-01-2010, 00:13
Thanks for that Conrad.
I do wonder if this campaign to ban twigs from pubs has been thoroughly thought through ( the last 3 words don't look right together). Twigs can be useful for removing ear wax, twenty pence pieces from full pint glasses, annoying the pub cat or fending of the pub dog.Make what you will of the last one. You can no longer find wooden spills in pubs , who can actually remember them? Cotton buds just dont have the same cachet.Now Conrad...thats rambling. To many hot toddies to ward off my manflu. Might catch it again if I can afford another bottle of Scotch.

Conrad
09-01-2010, 00:24
I meant to ask, very remiss of me! How are you doing now, did you get your days rest?

Our after work regular Bunch of Grapes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54712/) frequently has a very cool dog in it, it brings its own squeeky ball that it persecutes you with, it will try its best to force you to touch/kick this ball at which point it interprets it as you wanting to play ball with it. Having learnt to ignore it, it does provide me with amusement watching new victims patrons come in the pub.

runningdog
09-01-2010, 00:51
Thanks for that Conrad.
.... thoroughly thought through ( the last 3 words don't look right together

You could try thought thoroughly through, Eddie. See, Conrad, I'm trying.... Yeah, I know, everybody sez that, I'll just get me coat..........

arwkrite
09-01-2010, 08:45
How are you doing now, did you get your days rest?

Feel much better today. Its only a cold but you know how us men suffer to a greater extent.
I had a labrador x boxer bitch. If she felt peckish she would wander off to the bar and tap up the customers for a bag of scratchings. When that failed she would resort to to demanding with menaces ( she would growl at them ). Better fed than me was that dog.

Farway
09-01-2010, 15:13
The branding which we attach to the photos is clearly good promotion for us if the image does get stolen, but also hopefully gives a little more protection for those who don't want their images ripped off, I was quite chuffed that we set it up so that you could switch the logo between the top and bottom for images you own in one of the recent releases, thinking about it I should probably make it so that you can switch it off for those who aren't concerned with allowing fair use of their images.

:(.

Whilst I am not too concerned about others using my pics [ I give them away free on a Family History site I run] I think th PG branding logo should remain, if only to stop bandwidth theft.

I do appreciate the option to move from top to bottom etc, in fact for my recent photos I have allowed "extra" sky or foreground to accomodate the PG logo without much detriment or obscuring the pub photo, which would of course allow any competetant Photoshopper to remove the logo if they were that desperate

Conrad
09-01-2010, 15:46
Whilst I am not too concerned about others using my pics [ I give them away free on a Family History site I run] I think th PG branding logo should remain, if only to stop bandwidth theft.

I do appreciate the option to move from top to bottom etc, in fact for my recent photos I have allowed "extra" sky or foreground to accomodate the PG logo without much detriment or obscuring the pub photo, which would of course allow any competetant Photoshopper to remove the logo if they were that desperate
A good point about the bandwidth theft, I guess the logos are staying.

We have actually been contacted about use of picture and passed the request on to the picture owner, I think it has worked out fine in all instances.

The photoshopping did remind me of one amusing one. We had a pub contact us about getting a review changed, they went about it perfectly to my mind, gave us an email to pass on to the reviewer pointing out that the pub was under new management and would they like to come for a free meal to re-assess it. Anyway, rather amusingly having done all that correctly they went and made a poster which the submitted as an image to PG, and when you looked at the poster it was obviously using an image off our site with the logo cut off. Which is a little dodgy :).

I suppose in their minds it was their pub and they are welcome to use any pictures of it, and I guess they have a point really. Like copying music I am sure people have different perceptions of it.

Edit: And if I had a labrador x boxer growling at me, damn right I would buy it a pack of scratchings, so it sounds to me like it had it worked out. Sadly when I try growling at the wife she just laughs, so clearly I lack the same intimidation value.

runningdog
09-01-2010, 20:46
How are you doing now, did you get your days rest?

What are you trying to imply, Eddie. I reckon I'd could sue. Nah, too much trouble.
I've had a couple, or even more, dogs who were real trencher man, they'd mug you for a pint. Mind you, buy 'em a half and you had a friend for life, or at least til closing time.
The one who appears here, Boy by name, was bluidy expensive to take for a drink. Half for him and a pint for me, every round, to say nothing of the crisps and pork scratchings. Not that I begrudged him, he stood 28 & 1/2 inches at the shoulder, 68 pounds running weight, and put far more into the kitty than he ever took out..........
...Boy, here's to you....:drinkup:...

runningdog
09-01-2010, 21:00
[QUOTE=runningdog;4301...Boy, here's to you....:drinkup:...
[/QUOTE]
And he ate billiard balls..........

arwkrite
09-01-2010, 22:20
I could cheat and make three posts out of this one just to boost me posts but no play fair until I think of something better.

First is definitely keep the logo. I keep backed up files of my photos anyway and would think almost everyone else does.

Second.. Good idea by Farway about leaving extra sky or foreground to allow for the watermark. I have always tended to crop tight in the viewfinder at the moment of shooting which means either the roof line or ground floor suffer a bit of overprinting. Must stick a note about that on the back of my camera case, I am old fashioned a don't use camera phones.

Third.... if people use your images and you have no wish to enforce copyright then it is good manners for the user to give an acknowledgement of the photographer as happens on PG.

A dog that eats billiard balls !! The thought made my eyes water and had me reaching for the hemorrhoid cream. My dog was a real character much loved by the young crowd who used the pub. She had a habit of lying on her back with her legs in the air.Someone always said " I see Kipper is on the pull again, what a tart."