PDA

View Full Version : I hate Tetley's and think everyone should know!

Spinko
05-06-2011, 16:05
As someone who has never had a good pint of anything brewed by Tetley's in my life, and had to put up with living across from it with their alarms going off at any time of day, emergency vents being opened due to their being unable to control their brewing process, trucks crashing over their roadhumps day and nights when fully loaded with barrels, I am not disappointed in the slightest.

A brewery like Tetley's closes. Breweries like Thornbridge, Leeds, Brewdog and and Kirkstall open. It's win-win.

One fewer boring brown beer, one more interesting hoppy ale.

Admin edit: This thread has been split off from the Tetleys of Leeds – in memorium (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?7363-Tetleys-of-Leeds-%E2%80%93-in-memorium) thread so that those who want to enjoy the other thread can.

Al 10000
05-06-2011, 16:33
I have to disagree with what you have said.

Any brewery that closes down is a sad day in my opinion and Tetley bitter and mild have in my opinion been very nice drinks especially when drunk in its heartlands in Yorkshire.

As for one less boring brown beer,i think we should enjoy all beer styles i like light hoppy beers but also like brown beers, mild, stout and porters.

I think is is far more interesting to see different beer styles on the bar.

Spinko
05-06-2011, 16:50
I have to disagree with what you have said.

Any brewery that closes down is a sad day in my opinion

Even when their beers have always been at best boring, and at worst offensive to you? In a capitalist society, which ours is unfortunately drifting from, we need creative destruction. The weakest need to go to the wall, and tetley's recently have been a very weak brewery.

and Tetley bitter and mild have in my opinion been very nice drinks especially when drunk in its heartlands in Yorkshire.

Yorkshire has many better breweries now. Leeds, Kirkstall, Burley St, Yorkshire Dales Askrigg are all churning out much better, more interesting, and tastier brews. I do not begrudge the passing of an old brewery when they are no longer serving good beers.

I would however begrudge the passing of beer styles that people like to drink, but that isn't happening here.

As for one less boring brown beer,i think we should enjoy all beer styles i like light hoppy beers but also like brown beers, mild, stout and porters.

But we have enough BBBs everywhere. Every single pub has one of them on the bar. You'll most likely find them in a pub near that's about to close down for not having any interesting beer on.

I think is is far more interesting to see different beer styles on the bar.

I agree, and the pubs that have a variety of styles on tend to find the BBBs are the ones that just sit there untouched.

oldboots
05-06-2011, 18:29
Thanks mate, my motive was to mark the passing of a formerly great brewery not argue the toss about golden ales versus bitter beers or encourage some naive tripe about the capitalist system.

Admin edit: Referring to the fact it was originally part of the other Tetley's thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?7363-Tetleys-of-Leeds-%E2%80%93-in-memorium).

Spinko
05-06-2011, 18:36
I went and forgot Ossett.

Spinko
05-06-2011, 18:37
And Fernandes.

oldboots
05-06-2011, 19:48
Spout the names of as many small Yorkshire breweries as you wish, even taken together they don't sell as much beer as the Tetley brands, in a capitalist system they wouldn't even exist because a) there wouldn't be Progressive Beer Duty and b) large companies like Carlsberg would easily crush them if they got too big. Tetley Leeds is closing for the good business reasons that there is capacity elsewhere and Carlsberg can realise the value of a lucrative city centre site. Any ideas about the quality of its products having any relevance to the closure is absurd, the Tetley brands will continue to be made and to sell much more than a few niche market suppliers. There is no linkage between where Carlsberg brew Tetleys and some bloke starting to brew hop tea in his shed, to think there is any shows a total lack of understanding of the true state of the UK beer market.

Spinko
10-06-2011, 20:28
The beer scene in Leeds tonight:

1) Boring bars: people drinking boring brown beer talking about boring brown beer stroking their beards and wondering what boring brown beer brewers are doing with their sandals
2) OK bars: people doing their usual Friday night thing with fizzy stuff, quite acceptably. The next generation is needed to pay off the debt the current one has built up after all. It's not like they're gonna do it.
3) Good beer bars: people drinking good beer wondering what people are doing supping in the run-down pubs that only serve boring brown beer and Carling. Delirium Tremens, hic.

Spinko
10-06-2011, 21:14
This is the key, A&H, quite right. The closure ...oh no, wait a mo' ...the relocation is symbolic. It's not about the beer, it's about the end of an almost 200 year close association with the city, the county, and its citizens. Regardless of what you think about the beer, mourn the loss of the symbol.

It's only beer. And it probably wasn't even that for the last twenty years, it was just boring fizyy brown nothingness.

Wittenden
10-06-2011, 21:41
It's only beer. And it probably wasn't even that for the last twenty years, it was just boring fizyy brown nothingness.

It's community and conviviality,though the hedgies and assetstrippers have done their best to ruin it.
I thought I was replying to the Tetley in memoriam thread. Just shows what a bottle of Hopdaemon Green Helles can do.

oldboots
11-06-2011, 08:38
The beer scene in Leeds tonight:

....... Delirium Tremens, hic.

Sounds like you've been drinking that rather fine Belgian beer tonight, North Bar was it?

Spinko
11-06-2011, 10:10
Interesting topic, I wonder who created it :D

Tetleys
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227434_10150188780491338_575911337_7266847_5917155 _n.jpg

Tetley's annoying the neighbours
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225394_10150188780581338_575911337_7266850_3031673 _n.jpg

Spinko
11-06-2011, 10:15
In winter
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/65000_471411676337_575911337_6124638_8102048_n.jpg

Spinko
11-06-2011, 10:17
Sounds like you've been drinking that rather fine Belgian beer tonight, North Bar was it?

Yeah - bit of an attack on the wallet mind. Looking forward immensely to their American Beerfest in a few weeks time! I'd best start saving already.

oldboots
11-06-2011, 17:01

Spinko
18-06-2011, 13:54
Ah,Draught Bass! I must admit to having almost forgotten it, though for a while I drank it regularily, with reverence. It was in my early twenties, in my first "proper job", and I felt it was a grown up beer. Even then, I think it was an old man's drink, but again, an epitome of English Beer.I'm not sure who brews it now, but apparently they're making quite a good fist of it. Must try it again before it goes forever.

The only place I saw this was in Barry Town, before a Barry Town FC vs Aberystwyth game in 2002. I asked for it by the pronunciation "Base". Oh well, I was only 19!

PS, the Tetleys plant across the road is mercifully silent. No more boring brown beer from there until Leeds Brewery show up. Distinctly unimpressed with their latest offerings.

Maldenman
18-06-2011, 22:52
Spinko you remind me of people I've come across who buy houses near football grounds then complain about them. I heard about a case at my own club, until recently in the Conference when a mother arrived in the main office one night in the middle of a game and asked for the floodlights to be turned off as they were preventing her child from sleeping. :lol:

Spinko
24-06-2011, 16:02
Well the buyers always say, "brewing is guaranteed to continue here for the foreseeable future, no plans to close anything, jobs are safe, blah, blah".

Months later this becomes "it's very regretable but... market forces....downturn in sales.....blah blah blah"

I'm sure we could list them all from the last 20 or 30 years from Ruddles to Tetleys

.............and Sharps is next I don't doubt.

Are there any tasty, successful beers that have seen breweries closed?

Conrad
24-06-2011, 16:39
Spinko can you please stop trolling the other Tetley's thread, I don't really want to have to keep moving your posts.

Al 10000
24-06-2011, 16:39

Shipstones of Nottingham was one of the best beers i have ever had,both the bitter and mild were very bitter tasting.
Greenall Whitley took over the brewery and closed it down about 12 years later because they decided to pack in brewing and concentrate on pub ownership.

Hemlock bitter brewed at the Bramcote brewery, this brewey closed down because Broxtowe borough council refused permission to expand the brewery so the brewery closed down and reopened in Nottingham and is now called Castle Rock.
The Hemlock bitter was a lot better when brewed at Bramcote.

I could go on and list many great beers that have gone because of takeovers,just because the brewery has closed down does'nt make the beer that was brewed there an inferior beer.

Spinko
24-06-2011, 16:50
Shipstones of Nottingham was one of the best beers i have ever had,both the bitter and mild were very bitter tasting.
Greenall Whitley took over the brewery and closed it down about 12 years later because they decided to pack in brewing and concentrate on pub ownership.

Hemlock bitter brewed at the Bramcote brewery, this brewey closed down because Broxtowe borough council refused permission to expand the brewery so the brewery closed down and reopened in Nottingham and is now called Castle Rock.
The Hemlock bitter was a lot better when brewed at Bramcote.

I could go on and list many great beers that have gone because of takeovers,just because the brewery has closed down does'nt make the beer that was brewed there an inferior beer.

Thanks. Interesting stories.

I wonder if I'll be telling similar stories about J Holts in a few decades :)

Al 10000
24-06-2011, 16:57
I hope not as Holts beers are one of my favourite beers and i have been in over 100 of their tied house.

I think if i remember rightly Joseph Holts bought all their shares back and became a non listed company to avoid a takover from another company.

rpadam
24-06-2011, 21:14
Despite my initial scepticism, the Youngs beers now brewed in Bedford by the Wells & Youngs JV seem to be at least as good as those produced in recent years in Wandsworth,

Wittenden
24-06-2011, 22:07
A question of cause or effect: Fremlins was succesful and tastey when brewed at Faversham: Twitbread's shut that and turned it into TESCO (I think), and moved the brand to Cheltenham, whereupon it became niether tastey nor succesful, and Cheltenham closed,with Twibread turning into a coffee shop.

Spinko
25-06-2011, 14:14
A question of cause or effect: Fremlins was succesful and tastey when brewed at Faversham: Twitbread's shut that and turned it into TESCO (I think), and moved the brand to Cheltenham, whereupon it became niether tastey nor succesful, and Cheltenham closed,with Twibread turning into a coffee shop.

I'll admit I don't know any of those.

In my brief drinking career, I have only ever seen expansion of good brewers and the closing of bad ones.

Thornbridge, Summer Wine, Brewdog, Marble, Mallinson's, Magic Rock, Ossett, Fernandes, Salopian, Oakham are all thriving along with the pubs that serve their brews.

Boring brews like Tetleys, John Smiths, Bass, Thwaites are probably still serving a good few pints but it is pubs that serve these sorts of beers that are closing left, right, and centre. I do not see these as a loss to the drinking industry.

Oggwyn Trench
25-06-2011, 14:59
What you have got to remember is that , not that long ago those boring beers were like nectar compared with the crap most pubs served , the choice between a pint of Cask Tetley or Bass and a pint of Keg Springfield Bitter or Bass Special was a no brainer , we used to drive 10 miles just to drink in a pub that had Hook Norton beers on ! Trips out to places like the Three Tuns at Bishops Castle were all day jobs , a pub with 3 cask ales was like heaven .
Its things like Tetley and Bass that kept the up the intrest in real beer , without them we could be in a keg beer hell :eek:

I would not say Salopian are thriving , their only pub the Bull in the Barne is closed and up for sale .

Spinko
25-06-2011, 15:54
What you have got to remember is that , not that long ago those boring beers were like nectar compared with the crap most pubs served , the choice between a pint of Cask Tetley or Bass and a pint of Keg Springfield Bitter or Bass Special was a no brainer , we used to drive 10 miles just to drink in a pub that had Hook Norton beers on ! Trips out to places like the Three Tuns at Bishops Castle were all day jobs , a pub with 3 cask ales was like heaven .
Its things like Tetley and Bass that kept the up the intrest in real beer , without them we could be in a keg beer hell :eek:

I would not say Salopian are thriving , their only pub the Bull in the Barne is closed and up for sale .

Salopian deserve to be thriving as I saw their Lemon Dream absolutely everywhere I went in Shrewsbury 4 or 5 weeks back.

At 28 I clearly do not remember the beer scene from the 1980s, all I remember is being excluded from the cricket club. My father still drinks whatever stereotypical boring brown beer he is presented with in the bar though. I look around and would rather a bottle of Corona usually than a boring Thwaites, Smiths or Tetlys. If the craft beer market can influence the boring brown beer drinkers, then the likes of John Smiths will be goners.

oldboots
25-06-2011, 17:02
If the craft beer market can influence the boring brown beer drinkers, then the likes of John Smiths will be goners.

I doubt the men and women brewing hop tea in their sheds will influence major companies like Molson Coors, Heinekin or Carlsberg in any way. Carling is the number 1 selling beer in the UK so what possible relevance would an expensive to produce, niche product have to that business?

The larger brewing companies may dabble from time to time in cask beers, Molsons involvement with Sharps, or Heinekin's Cask Orders being merely the latest in a line going back to at least Watneys/Ruddles. Cask versions of Tetleys, Smiths etc currently have about 16% of the cask market, which itself is only 8% of the total beer market, and their market share is constantly dropping. Soon the fashion will change and the brewery businesses will move on, dropping any involvement in cask beers of whatever sort and concentrating again on the highly profitable mass market mock pilsners, and the nitrokegs (smooth) which dominate (92%) the beer market. Mock pilsners and smooths seem to appeal to the widest range of pub users, certainly most old men I know drink one or the other and most younger beer drinkers seem to stick to those beers mainly with occasional forays into cider, wine, spirits or cask. Premixs may remain fashionable or some other gloop might come along that appeals to someone's taste, someone will always rave about drinks most people think are disgusting especially if fashion says so, it's all a matter of personal taste of course.

The niche market in cask beer might continue to grow slowly although Simon Theakston believes it is already shrinking, in spite of the Cask Report figures proving otherwise. It depends on younger drinkers finding cask beers an acceptable drink, they may prefer modern unpastuerised and unfiltered kegs but the ones I've tasted make me doubt even that, a cold fizzy alcoholic drink that isn't cloudy is probably more acceptable than a cloudy cold fizzy alcoholic drink to most people, Carling's sales tend to support that view.

Wittenden
05-11-2011, 20:36
Well not exactly "hate", but by heck is n't it dull? Purely in the interest of research I tried it in a pub where the only other real ale was Black Sheep Best. I admit to be intrigued by how it managed the transfer to its new home.I don't really remember it in its Leedian heyday, but today's version is so damn dull.Nothing wrong with it, but bland. I found the BS excting by comparison!

arwkrite
06-11-2011, 10:10
I agree with a lot of Oggwyn and Old Boots comments. My drinking started in the 1960's.A time that many look back to with rose tinted specs. There were good and bad beers then just as now. Some older drinkers visit my local simply because they like the taste and look of the John Smiths served there.Because we all have different tastes I think it right we respect other drinkers choice . It is , after all, their money to dispose of and how other people spend their money has always been good for a lively topic of conversation.

MJ71
06-11-2011, 16:19
I asked for it by the pronunciation "Base". Oh well, I was only 19!

It's OK. I did exactly the same the first time I asked for it!:D

arwkrite
07-11-2011, 09:36
When I visited Florida and the Quays about ten years ago Bass and Guiness were everywhere. Of course in the American way of doing things Bass was Base. Worcesetershire Sauce was offered because we were English and 'Erbs were liberally sprinkled. Who ever said we spoke a common language.

Spinko
21-12-2011, 17:36
It's a beautiful sight when I wake every morning and look over that site and think never again will a pint of Boring Brown Beer appear from it!