PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia

oldboots
06-01-2010, 13:41
For those old codgers amongst us, and you know who you are, there's an interesting article on Pub Curmudgeon's "Opening Times" column (http://curmudgeoncolumns.blogspot.com/2010/01/january-2010.html) (an online version of a column in Stockport and South Manchester CAMRA's magazine). It's about pubs thirty years ago but with a north west bias.

A source of nostalgia for the BOFs and puzzled looks for the young :rolleyes:. See how much strikes a chord.

hopwas
06-01-2010, 13:58
Very interesting to read!

I remember Caffery's was common in pubs 15 years ago and now disappeared from scene completely (well in Midlands anyway)

"Pint of Black Label" is no longer, you have to call it as "Pint of Carling"

Bass house was very commonplace in Staffordshire and now sadly rare to see one now

15 years ago.. "What the hell is Wetherspoon? Some cheapie pub I guess".. Now there are well over 750 JDW all over the country

I enjoyed to smoke in pub and now of course you no longer allowed to smoke inside..

I hated the hours on Sunday 12 to 2.. Thanks to new law, you can now drink 12 to 11 on Sundays.

When I first bought pint in 1995, there was only one Alcopop, Hooch (remember it?) 15 years later.. Countless Alcopop available!

hondo
06-01-2010, 14:07
"Many older drinkers still drank splits – a half of draught beer topped off with a bottle of brown or pale ale"

certainly remember plenty people drinking half & half , black and tan :nishelypished:

aleandhearty
06-01-2010, 14:14
Mention of the old opening times reminded me of how inventive we had to be to drink straight through on a Saturday. If in town, several of us would get a taxi at 3p.m to the Wakefield Trinity Supporters Club bar. We'd have a couple there then over to the Wakefield Rugby Union club bar and stay there until early doors at some local pub...Pauses to dab away tear from eye. Happy days.

oldboots
06-01-2010, 14:47
I hated the hours on Sunday 12 to 2..

used to be my favourite session of the weekend, completely different to the evenings or Saturday lunchtime. I still like a Sunday lunchtime drink but it's not the same anymore :(

and stay there until early doors at some local pub...Pauses to dab away tear from eye. Happy days.

whatever happened to the lock-in?

Oggwyn Trench
06-01-2010, 17:53
I well remember the days , sitting on the pub steps waiting for opening time 6 in the week , 7 on a Sunday .
There were a couple of pubs round here that had special licencees to open on afternoons on market days .

Oggwyn Trench
06-01-2010, 18:00
used to be my favourite session of the weekend, completely different to the evenings or Saturday lunchtime. I still like a Sunday lunchtime drink but it's not the same anymore :(

whatever happened to the lock-in?

Not so much a lock in but the Crown in Oakengares used to open at 9am on a Sunday , back room only , regulars only for the darts team to practice (that was the excuse anyway)
The Swan in wellington used to have a lock in , all the pumps turned off , spirits only , just what you needed after a night on the beer

hopwas
06-01-2010, 18:13
The Swan in wellington used to have a lock in , all the pumps turned off , spirits only , just what you needed after a night on the beer

There is one pub in Tamworth still doing the lock in and allowed to light up fag despite smoking ban has been in force for 2 and half years. You can still allowed to buy pints or spirits way past closing time. I should know this as I have been this pub many times.

Delboy20
08-01-2010, 20:53
There is one pub in Tamworth still doing the lock in and allowed to light up fag despite smoking ban has been in force for 2 and half years. You can still allowed to buy pints or spirits way past closing time. I should know this as I have been this pub many times.

I have been in a few pubs now where people are still smoking quite openly. I won't name them here !! Ash trays on the tables - no attempt to hide them. For me a pub table should have beermats and an ash tray on it.
Regarding shorter drinking hours, I remember the battle of wits to carry on drinking. We used to go to a local snooker club - happy days !!

Cheers,

Del.

arwkrite
08-01-2010, 23:19
The lock in. When the old style till was left open so it would not ring and alert the Police Sergeant on his rounds. Amazing how far you could here one of those tills in a deserted street at night. People went home earlier then especially when it was raining or Match of The Day was on.