PDA

View Full Version : Winchester and Cheriton in July.

Bucking Fastard
01-06-2011, 10:10
Thought I would start a seperate thread on this one,to highlight whether there was still some interest.From the discussion in April ,there seemed a bit of a move to consider a Friday trip.If it's a matter of throwing about a few dates,I would be OK for Friday July 1st .

It would be very useful to get trainmans input on rail fares ,which I know have been mentioned already on the Chichester thread.

Any other takers for 1st July ?

Feel free to chuck out other dates if this doesn't work.

RogerB
01-06-2011, 10:34
I had a training course that day that has now been conveniantly cancelled so it's good for me. The going rate for an advance booking return from London seems to be £29.40.

Quinno
01-06-2011, 13:15
Should be OK for July 1st.

trainman
01-06-2011, 14:36
It would be very useful to get trainmans input on rail fares

Well, I'm only a rail user rather than employee/expert but I do hate to pay too much!

First thing to note is that any travelling from London should try to arrange to do so as a group (4-for-2 on groupsave would halve the £29.40 open return which Roger mentions).

For those with lots of time, megatrain to Southampton is currently available at £4e/w, then £5.80 open rtn to Winchester (halved if in a group of 4), but doubling your journey time may not warrant the saving - certainly not if travelling as 4 from London.

Cheriton doesn't fall within the quite limited Winchester plusbus zone, so dunno how much that extra leg might be. Shame, as many plusbus schemes are reduced to £1.50 Jun/Jul and would also be subject to the 'half-price' aspect of groupsave.

For myself, I'd need some sharp upturn in fortune to make it, but never say never...!

rpadam
02-06-2011, 20:47
I hope to be able to make it...

NB - If you have an 'all zones' Travelcard, the price of on off-peak return comes down to £21.40 from Boundary Zone 6 (or £14.15 with a railcard, but not until the 10:05 departure).

trainman
03-06-2011, 07:52
Greyhound coach from London (nr Victoria) dep 8.45 arr 10:20, £1 (one tkt only, I think).
Rtn on National Express, dep 20:25 arr 22:15, £6.50.

Bucking Fastard
03-06-2011, 14:54
Well that's a very good response so far for 1st July,looking forward to it.:drinkup:

Lets see if we get more takers over the next week or so,it may then be possible to get a Groupsaver4 from Waterloo .

Hopefully trainman's Euro millions numbers will come up in the meantime;)

RogerB
03-06-2011, 15:07
My maths was never a strong point but I make it 4 yes's and a maybe so far.

I will be going through Waterloo so I'll certianly muscle in with others to save a few quid on a Groupsave offer.

Bucking Fastard
03-06-2011, 15:44
My maths was never a strong point but I make it 4 yes's and a maybe so far.

I will be going through Waterloo so I'll certianly muscle in with others to save a few quid on a Groupsave offer.

I assumed,maybe incorrectly ,that Quinno would go direct from Reading to Winchester.

RogerB
03-06-2011, 15:58
I assumed,maybe incorrectly ,that Quinno would go direct from Reading to Winchester.

There's no reason for him to go via Waterloo. That leaves you, me and RPA (who will presumably go via London) which means we need 1 more for a Groupsave if Trainman doesn't go.

Quinno
03-06-2011, 16:26

I'll be going direct me laddio :)

rpadam
03-06-2011, 20:21
There's no reason for him to go via Waterloo. That leaves you, me and RPA (who will presumably go via London) which means we need 1 more for a Groupsave if Trainman doesn't go.
I wouldn't necessarily rely on me for the Groupsave ticket because something may crop up at work between now and 1 July - if anybody else comes forward then sign them up!

trainman
04-06-2011, 08:03
Groupsave can equally apply to three travellers (3 for 2), though the saving is obviously reduced to a third, rather than the 50% applicable to 4 passengers.
Thanks for the timely reminder to get my lottery tkt online.

PaulOfHorsham
04-06-2011, 21:01
Do any of the group have an Annual Season ticket (aka Gold Card)? Doesn't that give group discounts, like a Network Card (speaking of which, anybody got one of them)? Both restrict you to post 10.00 trains, but that would presumably only affect Roger (:D)

Just realised I can't make this trip, as I have a beer-related reason to be in London that evening :cheers:

RogerB
04-06-2011, 21:09
I don't have any special deals - I just have a bog standard Dartford to London Terminals monthly.

trainman
05-06-2011, 00:05
Do any of the group have a Gold Card?

Just realised I can't make this trip, as I have a beer-related reason to be in London

Gold card holders can get a third off their own extended travel on relevant networks (south) and also for up to 3 accompanying passengers. Much used when I had one, but not these days. Groupsave, in many instances, can offer similar or better (in the case of 4!) discounts. I loved my goldcard, I miss it badly.

Beer-related in London? Instead of team trip to wilds of Winchester/Cheriton? Are you MAD?

trainman
05-06-2011, 10:12
Cheriton doesn't fall within the quite limited Winchester plusbus zone, so dunno how much that extra leg might be.

£6.10 return, apparently.

Farway
05-06-2011, 14:47
I am a possible maybe for Cheriton lunchtime, limited opening according to web site (http://www.flowerpots.f2s.com/) 1200 - 1430, but as I will be driving across my intake will be limited anyway, so Winchester is out for me, but I may just sneak the two in East Meon (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/east-meon/hampshire/) in on way home

Pubsignman
08-06-2011, 12:56
I've managed to get the day off work, so I'll be able to join you all.

I'll be travelling from Croydon via Clapham Junction, so not sure I can take advantage of the Groupsave if others are leaving from Waterloo. I have a network railcard if that helps?

Bucking Fastard
10-06-2011, 10:31
I've managed to get the day off work, so I'll be able to join you all.

I'll be travelling from Croydon via Clapham Junction, so not sure I can take advantage of the Groupsave if others are leaving from Waterloo. I have a network railcard if that helps?

That's good news,looks like a reasonable turnout .

I assume the Groupsave ticket is bought on the day and requires all ticket holders to travel together,so it depends on the number who pitch up at Waterloo on the 1st July.

Your network rail card should get you some sort of discount on the return from Croydon,but I don't know if it can be used to get other folk discounted tickets.Trainman seems the font of all wisdom on these matters :notworthy:

There seems to be an hourly bus (67)from Winchester to Cheriton departing at .50 and arriving at .13 past the hour.The return departs at .23 and arrives back in Winchester at .46,so this leg of the journey will need some forethought to meet up with Farway and avoid the 2.30pm closing time.

Pangolin
10-06-2011, 19:03
An old stamping ground, so a word of caution: the 67 goes from the bus station, which is a fair way from the rail station. There are other buses that go down there, but allow enough time. And don't walk - too many pubs to go past...

Farway
11-06-2011, 15:55
That's good news,looks like a reasonable turnout .

There seems to be an hourly bus (67)from Winchester to Cheriton departing at .50 and arriving at .13 past the hour.The return departs at .23 and arrives back in Winchester at .46,so this leg of the journey will need some forethought to meet up with Farway and avoid the 2.30pm closing time.

OK, no promises and I do not know how many there are likely to be, but [big but] I could pick you up at Winchester & return, or at least dump you at the Hinton Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13222/) which is open all day & has a good choice of ale & food, after the Flowerpots, the big but is I only have a Skoda Felicia, 5 seats max. As Cheriton is not a million miles for Winchester it could be done in 2 journeys at a push

rpadam
21-06-2011, 23:49
Sorry, but - much to my disappointment - something unavoidable has come up on 1st of July... (Shame, though, as I was really looking forward to the Winchester outing.)

Bucking Fastard
23-06-2011, 13:27
OK, no promises and I do not know how many there are likely to be, but [big but] I could pick you up at Winchester & return, or at least dump you at the Hinton Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13222/) which is open all day & has a good choice of ale & food, after the Flowerpots, the big but is I only have a Skoda Felicia, 5 seats max. As Cheriton is not a million miles for Winchester it could be done in 2 journeys at a push

With rpadam sadly unable to join us,it looks like the party on July 1st will be Roger B,Pubsignman ,Quinno and me so your very kind offer of a lift from Winchester to Cheriton would be great,we should all fit in just:eek:.It is probably best to dump us at The Hinton Arms after The Flowerpots and we can take the bus back to Winchester which departs at either 14.23 or 16.03 (there is a bit of a service interuption mid afternoons)

I am away in the early part of next week ,so it is probably worth tying down other travel arrangements.There is a departure from Waterloo at 10.05,which stops at Clapham Junction at 10.12 for Pubsignman and arrives at Winchester at 11.04.With Quinno coming in from Reading we could meet him at the station and/or at a convenient pub nearby and wait there for the Farway taxi service;).The Flowerpots opens at noon,so there is no immediate rush ,and if the numbers swell there is a bus service at 11.50am to Cheriton anyway.If this doesnt work for anyone ,please suggest an alternative .I can easily take a differently timed train.

I am happy to go along with any pub crawl route ,I know Roger had a longish list of potential targets on the original thread,and I dont really know the area anyway.

It looks like the groupsave ticket wont work unless we get another taker from Waterloo,so I might just get an anytime return from St Margarets (Herts) which means I can slope off if the going gets too rough later in the day:nishelypished:

Farway
23-06-2011, 16:25
Given parking & one way traffic system, plus pedestrianisation of areas of Winchester, unless a nearby pub has parking it will have to be the station pick up

Nearest pub seems to be Albion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14133/) which review states is on busy cross roads, so that is out

Other is the Railway (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/14182/) "The Railway has ample free parking and is situated just a few minutes walk from Winchester Railway Station." but no idea idea of opening times, or if even open lunchtimes. I have mailed them to check opening times, think it is 5pm, so another one fails I think, but maybe pick up there and you have a pint in the Albion?

I have also e-mailed Cheriton Arms asking about lunchtime opening, just in case we are too early for Flowerpots so could do in reverse order sort of, but still leave you all at the Cheriton for bus

So pick up at railway station seems best bet unless anyone has a cunning plan avoiding city centre etc

PS this will also give us the opportunity to check if Percy Hobbs (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14177/) is closed or not, I think it is closed but unsure, it is en route so no time wasting involved

PaulOfHorsham
23-06-2011, 19:22
It looks like the groupsave ticket wont work unless we get another taker from Waterloo,so I might just get an anytime return from St Margarets (Herts) which means I can slope off if the going gets too rough later in the day:nishelypished:

How about organising the ticket from Clapham Junction? Although that does sound like it may be unduly complicating matters. Just a thought, though

Bucking Fastard
24-06-2011, 09:25
Given parking & one way traffic system, plus pedestrianisation of areas of Winchester, unless a nearby pub has parking it will have to be the station pick up

So pick up at railway station seems best bet unless anyone has a cunning plan avoiding city centre etc

PS this will also give us the opportunity to check if Percy Hobbs (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14177/) is closed or not, I think it is closed but unsure, it is en route so no time wasting involved

Thanks for all the research you have done.I dont know the area,so no cunning plan from me to avoid city centre.It sounds best to meet you at the station.Once travel arrangements have been confirmed with the others,we may slip into The Albion for a quick one,then trot back to the station to meet you.Would a noon meet up suit you ?

RogerB
24-06-2011, 10:27
I hope Farway realises that he will need to cut a hole in his car roof to accomodate BF and myself!

I am happy to go with the flow but if we can't take advantage of the Groupsave thing I will probably get the 9.35 train and head for the Old Gaol House for a large brekky (and a pint of course). The pubs in Winchester on my list (which obviously won't all get done) are the Royal Oak, Eclipse, Bishop On The Bridge, Black Boy, Wykeham Arms, Westgate Inn, St James Tavern, Fulflood Arms and the Hyde Tavern although some are a short hike out of town.

The Fulflood and the Hyde are fairly accessable from the station but look far enough out of town to possibly have some parking nearby but I'm not sure what time they open.

Quinno
24-06-2011, 11:06
I am happy to go with the flow but if we can't take advantage of the Groupsave thing I will probably get the 9.35 train and head for the Old Gaol House

I'll probably arrive on the 10:24 or 10:54 from Reading.

Leaving-wise, 19:31 or 20:31, as I want to not have to change if possible.

Farway
24-06-2011, 15:00
PM from BF to me, agreed noon at railway station, however having checked out the map, should you all want to go to Bishop on the Bridge, and assuming my car roof does not have a hole in it by then, I am willing to drop you off near there after Hinton Arms, and you will all seriously owe me few pints because I am driving so only one for me in Flowerpots and sickly grin in Hinton Arms :(

oldboots
24-06-2011, 16:58
the Royal Oak, Eclipse, Bishop On The Bridge, Black Boy, Wykeham Arms, Westgate Inn, St James Tavern, Fulflood Arms and the Hyde Tavern although some are a short hike out of town.

The Fulflood and the Hyde are fairly accessable from the station but look far enough out of town to possibly have some parking nearby but I'm not sure what time they open

The Wykeham is a fair way out but the others are fairly central, the Black Boy is the furthest but only about 15mins downhill from the station if you don't stop in the Bishop etc.

The Fulflood is in a residential street with limited parking IIRC and the Hyde is on a fairly busy narrow road with no parking, you could probably park just round the corner towards the King Alfred.

I wish I lived nearer, I always enjoyed my pub crawls in Winchester when I were a lad.

Farway
25-06-2011, 15:52
Should you wish to try out the Bowman ales (http://www.bowman-ales.com/) in the Black Boy, then drop off post Hinton Arms could be there and you can walk back to Bishop, city centre & the loos

Guess it depends and choice made on the day, if p155ing down then obviously not

PS, the "own label" in the Hinton Arms is Bowman brewery

PPS Bowman Brewery was originally at the Flowerpots, Cheriton, some sort of bust up and the two went their own ways. The "other place" referred to here (http://www.bowman-ales.com/about_us.html) is the Flowerpots

Farway
27-06-2011, 16:09
Just had reply from Hinton Arms, they open at 10 for beer, so if wished, and you are likely to have arrived by then, I could pick up earlier, say 1030, or 1100, 20 minutes or so drive to Hinton Arms, then onto Flowerpots for Noon opening

Your call chaps, I am at your command

Quinno
27-06-2011, 20:17
Just had reply from Hinton Arms, they open at 10 for beer, so if wished, and you are likely to have arrived by then, I could pick up earlier, say 1030, or 1100, 20 minutes or so drive to Hinton Arms, then onto Flowerpots for Noon opening

Your call chaps, I am at your command

Well I'd be happy if others are :)

Pubsignman
27-06-2011, 21:39
I'm looking at taking the same train as Mr Fastard, which arrives in Winchester at 11:04. I'd be happy to head straight to the Hinton Arms (thanks for sorting us out with a lift Farway :notworthy:) although I suspect the viability of this plan will mostly depend on Roger and his breakfast :)

RogerB
29-06-2011, 09:35
It's not so much the breakfast I'm worried about - it's the 7 hours standing in Hyde Park the night before that will take its toll on me! I'll go with the flow although 10am is probably pushing it for me to recover and get down to Winchester but I'll do my best. Realistically I'll probably get the 9.35 from Waterloo, arriving at 10.32. From then on I'm open to anything!

Farway
29-06-2011, 14:44
OK, given assorted arrival times, how about 1130 at Railway station then head of direct to Hinton Arms?

Will give RogerB time to defrost and revive, and also allow a bit of spare time got BF & PSM train to be a bit later

I have PM from BF ref his mobile number, and he has mine

I will however PM all with my mobile & car number

See you Friday at 1130, not sure of pick up points at the station, so I may be cruising by / around

Pangolin
30-06-2011, 13:22
Someone mentioned the Percy Hobbs earlier - it closed in January:

http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/4881365.Couple__abandon__pub/

and not sure if currently trading, but if you fancy it...

http://www.mbfranchising.com/opportunities/percyhobbswinchester/

Farway
30-06-2011, 15:48
Someone mentioned the Percy Hobbs earlier - it closed in January:

http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/4881365.Couple__abandon__pub/

and not sure if currently trading, but if you fancy it...

http://www.mbfranchising.com/opportunities/percyhobbswinchester/

It was me Guv, I also spotted the done a runner link, and must say it looks closed as I go by, but thought the Winchester run would be good chance to nail if currently trading once & for all. Seems a shame as it is just near a popular technology themed visitor centre, plus highly visible & just off a busy roundabout with hundreds, if not thousands, of passing daily traffic, IMO with good management it would be a winner, but never a "local", would have to be a destination gastro pub or similar

If the Flowerpots at Cheriton, which is much harder to find, can succeeded I reckon the PH could

trainman
01-07-2011, 07:19
Have a TOP day you lucky burghers.

I especially look forward to reports from the 2 Cheriton pubs, and views on the (essential) Black Boy. :)

RogerB
01-07-2011, 07:53
About to leave now - should be on the 9.35 from Waterloo and then its straight to the Old Gaol House for a BIG breakfast!

Quinno
01-07-2011, 09:05
About to leave now - should be on the 9.35 from Waterloo and then its straight to the Old Gaol House for a BIG breakfast!

I'm on the 9:46 from Reading and should be getting into Winchester a few minutes before you - I'll catch you at the station. :D

trainman
01-07-2011, 10:51
nb. Goodens Gold!

Farway
01-07-2011, 16:04
nb. Goodens Gold!

I collected RogerB, Quinno & PSM from Winchester station at 1130 prompt, they were ready & waiting but informed me they had slaked their thirst in a 'spoons first

Had a bit of detour around Winchester, due to Sat Nav & certainly not the driver, honest Guv

Also had a bit of a mini detour to Cheriton due to awful road smash at Cheriton cross roads, police & ambulance, half a car in a field etc, so the road I had intended to take was closed off, so had to go onto Hinton Ampner cross roads & back track, but arrived spot on opening time time at Flower Pots, first car in the car park

The Goodens Gold was sampled, as were a few others, Roger started from top of beers board & Quinno from the bottom. Loads of pics taken. I think it impressed, and the owner was chatting to the PuGgers, Roger managed to offload one of his local CAMRA newsletters on to him

Then onto Hinton Arms, which was fairly busy, mainly diners, Quinno had an off half, which landlady pronounced fine, but was cloudy Sarson's, it was swapped for another brew without quibble, but I think it spoiled what could have been a pleasant experience

No idea what was going on, but the car park was full of Porsches, Jags, vintage MGs etc, one of the PuGgers likened it to a Jeremy Clarkson wet dream. I of course ruined it by parking my 10 year crabby red Skoda in among them

Then back to Winchester, I dropped them in car park where the 3 of them were last seen heading off to the Black Boy

Nice to have met you all

PS one PUG T shirt was being worn

RogerB
02-07-2011, 00:46
Back home in one piece. A big thanks to Farway for his transportation expertise and negotiations around the local accident black spots. Nice to travel in a Skoda without anyone I know knowing about it and the car park contrast among the cars of more senior reputation was worthy of a photograph that unfortunately never happened! PS It was actually Quinno that was offloading CAMRA material to all and sundry!

Following our 'Spoons brekky and the aforementioned out of towners to the Flowerpots and Hinton we managed to tick off the Black Boy (amazing junk pub), the Wykeham Arms (interesting bits and pieces), Royal Oak (oldest pub - having a laugh), Eclipse, Old Vine (a lucky dip), Westgate Hotel (another lucky dip), St James Tavern, Fulflood Arms, Hyde (spent a large proportion playing with the dogs in the garden) and still managing to get a reasonable train back home. Thanks to my fellow companions, hopefully I will have made enough notes to remember enough proper memories in due course.

gillhalfpint
03-07-2011, 08:58
Glad to hear another Skoda on the rounds. Don't knock them, we started with a Skoda Estelle 22 years ago, and are now on our 4th. The Octavia estate is a great tow car, and we can't knock them for reliability over the years.

RogerB
03-07-2011, 10:01
Screwed up a bit on the "different pint in each pub" rule! The Hinton's Own is Bowmans Swift One rebadged which I didn't know at the time I had a Swift One in the Hyde Tavern. I feel cheated!

Farway
03-07-2011, 15:16
Screwed up a bit on the "different pint in each pub" rule! The Hinton's Own is Bowmans Swift One rebadged which I didn't know at the time I had a Swift One in the Hyde Tavern. I feel cheated!

I am in awe you could notice the similarity after so many pubs visited on the day :notworthy:

RogerB
03-07-2011, 15:57
I didn't notice at the time - I looked it up this morning!

Farway
03-07-2011, 16:59
Just for info, and nothing to do with beer or pubs, you may recall on way to Cheriton we passed a perfect geological bowl, "Matterley Bowl" which has been used for music concerts, and I whinged about the traffic it generated

Just by coincidence a report has just been issued on this, JLS Concert (http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9118849._Perfect_storm__casued_JLS_concert_chaos/) in 2010

RogerB
03-07-2011, 23:33
Just by coincidence a report has just been issued on this, JLS Concert (http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9118849._Perfect_storm__casued_JLS_concert_chaos/) in 2010

We don't get this at the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town!

Quinno
04-07-2011, 00:24
We don't get this at the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town!

We might do for Ultrasound!

I have a few photos I want to upload onto the form but I can't work out how to do it (again). Can someone remind me??

RogerB
04-07-2011, 12:59
I have a few photos I want to upload onto the form but I can't work out how to do it (again). Can someone remind me??

From the reply to thread option, click on the "image" button and then select files. It should be straight forward from there.

Farway
04-07-2011, 14:50
We might do for Ultrasound!

I have a few photos I want to upload onto the form but I can't work out how to do it (again). Can someone remind me??579

Here's one I took in the Flowerpots, note the empty glasses :cheers:

From left, Quinno in red top, PSM & Roger

trainman
04-07-2011, 17:21

Here's one I took in the Flowerpots, note the empty glasses :cheers:

No wonder the glasses are empty - someone appears to have stolen the handpumps!!

Pubsignman
04-07-2011, 23:12
Sorry - I'm a bit late for the debrief.

Thanks to Roger, Quinno and Farway for their excellent company and, in the case of Farway, for his excellent navigational skills (once he'd turned his SatNav off!). The sight of the Skoda proudly parked between three Porsches, a Lotus and a vintage MG was indeed the missed photo opportunity of the day.

Pub of the day for me was probably the Black Boy (although my judgement may have been swayed by the unexpected discovery of a monkey in a kilt), but the Flowerpots ran it pretty close. My notes are surprisingly coherent, although they're lacking in detail towards the end of the day, so I'll try and get some reviews written up fairly soon.

I'm not sure if anyone else picked up a copy of the local CAMRA magazine whilst they were there, but it shed a bit of light on the Albion, which was apparently put up for sale by its owner so he could concentrate on the B&B side of his other pub, the First In Last Out, presumably as a result of the 'feedback' he got from the Hotel Inspectors!

And just for Quinno, here's the Garlic and Shots website:

http://www.garlicandshots.com/

You'll no doubt be delighted to hear that they do serve garlic beer, albeit not as lovingly crafted as the one Roger described - apparently they just grate a clove of garlic into a pint of lager. :sick:

Quinno
04-07-2011, 23:48
I'm sure it was more complicated last time!

Flowerpots - cracking. L-R Pubsignman, RogerB, Farway

Should have not heeded the sign...worst pub of the day.

Unfinished Monkey Business

Total Eclipse of the pint

Hurry up Harry

Rogers forthcoming review of the Fulflood

Arty farty

RogerB
05-07-2011, 12:54
Note 2 empty HALF pint glasses in the Hurry Up Harry photo. :whistle:

Farway
05-07-2011, 15:09
Damn, I wish I had taken up the offer, despite driving, of a half in the Black Boy, seems I missed a treat.

Now I know it will be a "must do" next time I am in the area and I can get someone else to drive

PS Drink responsibly - drinkaware etc

aleandhearty
06-07-2011, 13:00
No wonder the glasses are empty - someone appears to have stolen the handpumps!!

Quinno's 'manbag' is bulging rather suspiciously, don't you think?

Flowerpots - cracking. L-R Pubsignman, RogerB, Farway

Having met Roger and Quinno twice before, I knew what to expect, but with PSM and Farway I can honestly say you look nothing like the mental images I'd conjured up! Sounds like you had a cracking day.

Pubsignman
06-07-2011, 13:40
Having met Roger and Quinno twice before, I knew what to expect, but with PSM and Farway I can honestly say you look nothing like the mental images I'd conjured up! Sounds like you had a cracking day.

Yeah, I've had a haircut since my avatar photo was taken. :D

Bucking Fastard
06-07-2011, 14:26
Well done for posting up those photos,looks like you had a great time and I am just sorry that I had to bail out at the last moment:( At least Farways car survived without the need for a sun roof conversion.

Hope to catch up with you guys at future PuG meet ups later in the year.

Oggwyn Trench
06-07-2011, 23:08
Looking at the photos Faraway looks as i expected but PSM looks younger than young Quinno:D

RogerB
07-07-2011, 08:51
Looking at the photos Faraway looks as i expected but PSM looks younger than young Quinno:D

They must get fed up with having to provide ID whenever they get a round in!

Pubsignman
07-07-2011, 10:17
They must get fed up with having to provide ID whenever they get a round in!

Ahem!

The Cherry Tree (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56333/)

Farway
22-07-2011, 16:47
It has long been the butt of car jokes but Skoda need no longer fear the punch line. Yesterday it was crowned the most satisfying car to own in Britain. (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2017501/Skoda-drivers-laugh--satisfying-car-own.html) :)

trainman
23-07-2011, 09:00
Whilst searching for today's inspiration in my 'random mission' list, I came across the attached which I should have alerted you to before the Winchester/Cheriton day, sorry.

http://www.tichbornearms.co.uk/

Anywhere I manage a beer today will have to be much closer than that though.

Farway
23-07-2011, 14:24
Whilst searching for today's inspiration in my 'random mission' list, I came across the attached which I should have alerted you to before the Winchester/Cheriton day, sorry.

http://www.tichbornearms.co.uk/

Looks like a nice place from web site, maybe one day

Hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of adding the URL to the page on PuG, and as there will be a beer festival there in August I have submitted that as well :whistle:

trainman
24-07-2011, 08:44
Hope you don't mind
'Course not; the 'fest may be the opportunity for a look see, all in the interest of research...