PDA

View Full Version : Today was to be my pub crawl in Derby

hopwas
05-01-2010, 15:19
Now called off thanks to some phemonmen called "snow" :moremad:

Looks like I have to delay it till late Jan to early Feb after London trip. Innit pain in arse with bad weather when you are looking forward to pub crawling..

Conrad
05-01-2010, 15:36
I keep on being told it will snow in Bristol, right down to the fact that we are apparently being warned by the met office that we may need to take action.

Dave is telling me that the latest revision is for snow during the night.

Sorry you missed out on the Derby trip Hoppy, but it is just an opportunity to find which of your locals has the best log fire ;)

hopwas
05-01-2010, 15:41
Sorry you missed out on the Derby trip Hoppy, but it is just an opportunity to find which of your locals has the best log fire ;)

At least my local The Fox, Hopwas do have mean log fire :cheers:

I may pop in later on if the snow holds up..

Oh can you add new smiley... praying smiley. :D

ROBCamra
05-01-2010, 15:53
Now called off thanks to some phemonmen called "snow" :moremad:

Looks like I have to delay it till late Jan to early Feb after London trip. Innit pain in arse with bad weather when you are looking forward to pub crawling..

I suggest you delay it until the first week in February, that way you can visit the Derby Winter Ales Festival at the same time.

We'll be going along transport and hotel willing.:)

hopwas
05-01-2010, 16:03
I suggest you delay it until the first week in February, that way you can visit the Derby Winter Ales Festival at the same time.

Brunswick I presume?

ROBCamra
05-01-2010, 16:07
Brunswick I presume?

Holiday Inn Express two nights for the price of one offer.

We'll be in the Brunny on the Friday though along with the Alex and the Station before going for a high class curry at Marsala Art.

hopwas
05-01-2010, 16:13
Holiday Inn Express two nights for the price of one offer.

We'll be in the Brunny on the Friday though along with the Alex and the Station before going for a high class curry at Marsala Art.

The Station?! It is truly awful pub.. I should know as I lived in Derby for 3 years. I know where is Marsala Art. Never been there myself. I'll note it down just in case I fancy going.

Thanks Rob for informing me

Hoppy

Eddie86
05-01-2010, 16:28
Well Thursday mum has to go to the dentist in Birmingham, and is having mini-me for the day, so I may get the train up there and do a pub crawl. Either there or Bristol - £6 return for me to Bristol seems affordable.

Anyone interested?

Conrad
05-01-2010, 16:46
Ohhhhhhhh, bad timing. Dave is at the dentist in the morning, but should be around after lunch.

If some real drinkers are free in Derby I am guessing that would be more fun, as me and Dave are the lightest weights in the known universe :muppet:. However if you fancy seeing the 2 pint wonders you are always welcome, we may even be able to find some nice pubs in Bristol.

Edit: I just realised the nearest half reasonable pub to the station is a JDW (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54711/), still only need to use it when waiting for the return train.

ROBCamra
05-01-2010, 17:20
The Station?! It is truly awful pub.. I should know as I lived in Derby for 3 years. I know where is Marsala Art. Never been there myself. I'll note it down just in case I fancy going.

Thanks Rob for informing me

Hoppy

I worked in Derby for 18 months so I know Derby and The Station pretty well also. I quite like it just for one. They still serve Bass out of the jug and it's still GBG recommended so that seems fine to me.

hopwas
05-01-2010, 17:37
I worked in Derby for 18 months so I know Derby and The Station pretty well also. I quite like it just for one. They still serve Bass out of the jug and it's still GBG recommended so that seeme fine to me.

True.. I'll pop in The Station to see if it has changed and you never know I may change my opinion..

Keep on eye on this..

Hoppy

oldboots
05-01-2010, 17:56
I worked in Derby for 18 months so I know Derby and The Station pretty well also. I quite like it just for one. They still serve Bass out of the jug and it's still GBG recommended so that seeme fine to me.

It was in the 2009 edition but it's not in the current one, cough up your £10 and get a new one:p

Soupy and I met there for our Derby Crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?600-The-History-Boys-on-Tour/page4) last November and they had well kept Deuchars and Hobgoblin on, the Bass clip was reversed, read our reviews here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7230/). I think Hoppy had a difference of opinion with the guvnor in there which put him off a bit, the History Boys thread sheds some light on it. If you're going in February, Hoppy, give us a shout as me and Soupy have unfinished pubs business there :cheers:

Conrad
05-01-2010, 18:11
Well Thursday mum has to go to the dentist in Birmingham, and is having mini-me for the day, so I may get the train up there and do a pub crawl. Either there or Bristol - £6 return for me to Bristol seems affordable.

Anyone interested?
Just realised I should have said, I can meet you anytime Thursday, Dave can catch us up.

RogerB
05-01-2010, 18:14
I did a huge Derby crawl over a very long weekend just over a year ago. Certainly the best city I have done as far as ales are concerned. You could spend a week in the Brunny, the Alex, the Flowerpot and the Babbington alone without having the same pint twice. The Brunny is the tops for me - fantastic, especially when you look at the photos inside of the place before it was renovated. One place I would thoroughly recommend that is often overlooked and isn't currently reviewed or rated on this site (I feel a cut & paste coming on) is the Falstaff which is a short(ish) walk away from the town centre. Really friendly customers and landlord, own brew beers and check out the photos of the "orbs" floating around the pub. Scary. Oh, and if you don't have the Bass from the jug in the Station, you haven't been to Derby!

ROBCamra
05-01-2010, 19:24
I did a huge Derby crawl over a very long weekend just over a year ago. Certainly the best city I have done as far as ales are concerned. You could spend a week in the Brunny, the Alex, the Flowerpot and the Babbington alone without having the same pint twice. The Brunny is the tops for me - fantastic, especially when you look at the photos inside of the place before it was renovated. One place I would thoroughly recommend that is often overlooked and isn't currently reviewed or rated on this site (I feel a cut & paste coming on) is the Falstaff which is a short(ish) walk away from the town centre. Really friendly customers and landlord, own brew beers and check out the photos of the "orbs" floating around the pub. Scary. Oh, and if you don't have the Bass from the jug in the Station, you haven't been to Derby!

The recently reopened Old Silk Mill near The Dolphin now does Bass from the jug as well !

ROBCamra
05-01-2010, 19:33
It was in the 2009 edition but it's not in the current one, cough up your £10 and get a new one:p

Soupy and I met there for our Derby Crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?600-The-History-Boys-on-Tour/page4) last November and they had well kept Deuchars and Hobgoblin on, the Bass clip was reversed, read our reviews here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7230/). I think Hoppy had a difference of opinion with the guvnor in there which put him off a bit, the History Boys thread sheds some light on it. If you're going in February, Hoppy, give us a shout as me and Soupy have unfinished pubs business there :cheers:

The Bass pumpclip is often turned round or not even there at all. It doesn't mean to say he doesn't have any, it's just the way he is.

I get the GBG on an annual Direct Debit so I've had 2010's since late September.

However it does help if you look in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

trainman
06-01-2010, 09:09

Hmmm, Winter Ales are dangerous at the best of times, never mind in conjunction with a crawl of the town! I can see why you've opted for a two-night stopover ROB.
My list for Derby, still unvisited but high on list, is (in no particular order) Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill. No Babington Roger ('spoons rarely feature on our crawls) but with 18 HPs, it sounds like it should be added, as should that extra day to allow for 'jokers'.

Conrad
06-01-2010, 10:59
Hi trainman,

Nice to see you here, I think you will recognise quite a few of the people chatting. Myself and Dave M are the admins of Pubs Galore, so if you have any problems, queries or improvements for the site just ask either of us, we are always keen to hear the communities feedback.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

ROBCamra
06-01-2010, 11:08
Hmmm, Winter Ales are dangerous at the best of times, never mind in conjunction with a crawl of the town! I can see why you've opted for a two-night stopover ROB.
My list for Derby, still unvisited but high on list, is (in no particular order) Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill. No Babington Roger ('spoons rarely feature on our crawls) but with 18 HPs, it sounds like it should be added, as should that extra day to allow for 'jokers'.

Now there's a thing I never thought I'd see.

trainman
Teetotal

:D

ROBCamra
06-01-2010, 11:28

I'd add The Derby Brewery Tap @ The Royal Standard to that list. It gets mixed reviews for the decor but there's no doubting the beer quality.

The 5 thirds and a bowl of local cheese make a good option for tasting and nibbles.

We always stay for 2 nights in Derby when going to the two annual beer festivals.

We can't get there until about 7 or 8 on the Friday so we stay around the station area (not hard with the Alex & the Brunswick on the doorstep).

We then visit the festival Saturday lunch and stay out until closing to get several more pubs in. :cheers:

hopwas
06-01-2010, 12:14

Smithfield is bit hit and miss, on my last visit I was served rather flat hop ale and other ales was sold out and on better days, it can be really good.
Alex - Great pub shame about opening hours.
Flowerpot - One of true gem in Derby. I had pint of their famous Imperial Stout (10%) very dangerously drinkable. I had 3 pints and was already legless..
Olde Dolphin - Oldest pub in Derby. Lets hope you are not tall.. beware of low celling.
You should add Babbington Arms, I know it is JDW BUT they do serve excellent real ales, ciders and bottled real ales.

And..

My favourite pub of all.. Brunswick. Ohhh I was so hooked drinking its own brew that I wanted to move in! You can see brew being processed in one of room (Flowerpot also have one)

aleandhearty
06-01-2010, 12:28
Hi trainman...Nice to see you here...Hope you enjoy your stay.

Seconded. Hope you stick around.

RogerB
06-01-2010, 12:37
Olde Dolphin - Oldest pub in Derby. Lets hope you are not tall.. beware of low celling.

I am. I tried. It hurt.

trainman
06-01-2010, 12:44
Now there's a thing I never thought I'd see.

trainman
Teetotal

:D
Indeed! It just seems to be assigned, presumably until I reach a certain number of posts & metamorphose into an equally misleading 'drinker of wine&soda'! I suppose there's nothing to be done about this temporary slur ... Conrad?

RogerB
06-01-2010, 12:56
Indeed! It just seems to be assigned, presumably until I reach a certain number of posts & metamorphose into an equally misleading 'drinker of wine&soda'! I suppose there's nothing to be done about this temporary slur ... Conrad?

I have also been labelled with such libellious claims but if I've had to go through the PG initiation ceremony, so have you. It only lasts for 5 postings - you could just do a few smileys until you hit the magic number.

trainman
06-01-2010, 13:04
I'd add The Derby Brewery Tap @ The Royal Standard to that list. It gets mixed reviews for the decor but there's no doubting the beer quality.

The 5 thirds and a bowl of local cheese make a good option for tasting and nibbles.

Aah, the Brewery Tap was not open when I first mapped Derby as a mission town ('07, I think!), duly added, & the 5(?) thirds plus bowl o' cheese sounds a novel offer.
A Notts pal working in Derby says we should also add Exeter Arms, where they often lunch.

trainman
06-01-2010, 13:06
you could just do a few smileys until you hit the magic number.
Oi! Don't tempt fate Roger...

aleandhearty
06-01-2010, 13:07
I have also been labelled with such libellious claims but if I've had to go through the PG initiation ceremony, so have you. It only lasts for 5 postings - you could just do a few smileys until you hit the magic number.
Yes, the teetotal badge is like being whacked across the face with a large frying pan isn't it? Regarding the smiley thing, please Roger let's not even go there!

hopwas
06-01-2010, 13:10
Aah, the Brewery Tap was not open when I first mapped Derby as a mission town ('07, I think!), duly added, & the 5(?) thirds plus bowl o' cheese sounds a novel offer.
A Notts pal working in Derby says we should also add Exeter Arms, where they often lunch.

Yep Brewery Tap was orginally known as Royal Standard and was boarded up in early 2007 and reopened in Summer of 2009 as Brewery Tap.

Exeter Arms.. Now thats name I havent heard for years. I think they sell 5 real ales on tap (if my memory serves me right!).. stones throw from Brewery Tap.

ROBCamra
06-01-2010, 13:21

The Exeter is a nice enough pub, I've been in quite a few times.

The beer though is very hit & miss. I'm not sure they get through enough for so many handpumps.

They do serve the excellent Jennings Dark Mild though.

Conrad
06-01-2010, 13:25
I think everyone has beaten me to this reply, it is indeed our mild encouragement for you post more. Did someone mention smileys? ;)

RogerB
06-01-2010, 13:25
The Exeter had 6 ales on my visit - wasn't a bad pub but was a bit bright and sedate when I called. Only stayed for one pint but there is enough there to warrant including on a crawl.

At the other end of the scale, don't be tempted to go to Jorrocks (rubbish) or the Old Bell (which is really enticing from the outside - don't make the mistake we did - it's dire).

RogerB
06-01-2010, 13:28
Did someone mention smileys? ;)

Not me Guv. I once had a nasty experience with some that I am trying to forget. :whistle:

hopwas
06-01-2010, 13:35
At the other end of the scale, don't be tempted to go to Jorrocks (rubbish) or the Old Bell (which is really enticing from the outside - don't make the mistake we did - it's dire).

:eek: Jorrocks is rubbish? Mind you I havent been in there for years. On my last visit, I had really good pint of Young's and nice pub. What went wrong?

The Old Bell used be great traditional pub till some idiot decided transform it into studenty pub..