PDA

View Full Version : Widnes and Runcorn

rpadam
24-05-2011, 23:35
Anybody been to Widnes and/or Runcorn?

There is only a single pub reviewed in each town so is there a crawl to be done in one or both?

Maldenman
24-05-2011, 23:55
Definitely one for the truly dedicated RPA.

ROBCamra
25-05-2011, 08:02
Anybody been to Widnes and/or Runcorn?

There is only a single pub reviewed in each town so is there a crawl to be done in one or both?

In short. No! I worked at Glaxo in Weston for a few months and the area is dire.

Most of Runcorn is a purpose built new town but there are a few pubs left in the original old town.

When I worked there the JDW The Ferryboat opened and instantly became the best real ale pub in Runcorn.

Several of the pubs were used in Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps though.

The view across the estuary to Rocksavage power plant and ICI Castner Kelner is stunning at night with all the lights and flames from the gantries and tower chimneys. :love:

As for Widnes.....

When the wannabee posh people who have a Manchester postcode say "Eewwww Noooooow we don't live in Manchester we live in Cheshire" the standard answer is "Widnes is in Cheshire".

If I were you I'd go to Frodsham instead.

trainman
25-05-2011, 09:38
"Eewwww Noooooow we don't live in Manchester we live in Cheshire" the standard answer is "Widnes is in Cheshire".

Hahaha! ... and Warrington!

Oggwyn Trench
25-05-2011, 18:17
Have never drunk round there but used to deliver in the area , its just a huge chemical factory with a few houses around , the Sister in Law used to live on the outskirts of Warrington and says the whole area is a dump (and she should know , she used to live in Stoke) , apparently weekends are to be avoided , half the area is Scouse the other Manc and we all know how well they get on:eek:

Quinno
25-05-2011, 19:52
apart from Rob I can't recall who on here is a CAMRA member. Anyway, there was a pub-crawl article about - Warrington! - in the issue before last of Beer, the magazinely supplement they do once a quarter.

Mine has long since been recycled but there may be a copy out there somewhere (or on the interweb?). I recall that they said Warrington was less shit than they thought and there were two or three decent pubs.

I've got relatives who live in Runcorn and I wouldn't bother about that place. They think a trip to Shopping City is a tourist attraction!

trainman
30-05-2011, 10:07
Hahaha! ... and Warrington!

they said Warrington was less shit than they thought and there were two or three decent pubs.

Bizarrely, a pal asked me to suggest a drinkery in Warrington as he's up there next week. Research shows it may well be worth a visit with 6 pubs that I'd happily play jokers in and, one, the Albion, apparently Cheshire poty '09. Warrington, I apologetically retract my scorn.

A question was raised though, whether it is in Cheshire (as all addresses indicate) or Lancashire, as has been suggested by two sources.

Oggwyn Trench
30-05-2011, 10:28
Bizarrely, a pal asked me to suggest a drinkery in Warrington as he's up there next week. Research shows it may well be worth a visit with 6 pubs that I'd happily play jokers in and, one, the Albion, apparently Cheshire poty '09. Warrington, I apologetically retract my scorn.

A question was raised though, whether it is in Cheshire (as all addresses indicate) or Lancashire, as has been suggested by two sources.

The most (in)famous thing about Warrington is this place http://www.flickr.com/photos/crisparmour/4368280842/ , the story is the council told the owner it was an eyesore , so he painted a sore eye on it !

oldboots
30-05-2011, 11:33

Lancashire until the 1974 reorg' now Cheshire. Depends if you ever accepted the 1974 changes, some friends of mine still say they live in Yorkshire - North Riding, Rutland never really died for those who live there and who believed Cleveland or Humberside ever really existed?