PDA

View Full Version : Southern 90% off Advance tickets

rpadam
24-05-2011, 23:06
From MoneySavingExpert.com

Southern 90% off Advance tickets
Book online, one day only

On Thurs 26 May only, get 90% off Advance single tickets from Southern Railway. You can buy tickets for up to 12 weeks ahead (14 August 2011). Plus Senior, 16-25, Friends & Family, Disabled or HM Forces Railcards can be used!

Southern Rail services the South East, eg, London, Portsmouth, Brighton, Southampton.

How do I get it?

Buy tickets from Southern Railway on Thurs 26 May. If the route you've chosen has sale tickets available, the price will show as 90% off, eg, London to Brighton will cost 45p.

Tickets must be booked for specific journeys and you must travel on the train you've booked. Buying online, having tickets delivered or collecting at the station is free.

Anything else?

Southern has said around 750,000 tickets are available, but they're still likely to go fast. Be warned, the site may be slow from heavy traffic.

Routes included: London to Brighton, Portsmouth and Eastbourne.
How to book: Visit Southern Railway website
When does it end?: Thurs 26 May 2011 only

Quinno
25-05-2011, 22:51
No mention of when it opens so I will try midnight tonight!

Loads of destinations of interest:

-Portsmouth
-Chichester
-Eastbourne
-Hastings
-Lewes
-Horsham (Paul!!!)
-Worthing

and Brighton!

Let's see how I do.

Quinno
26-05-2011, 00:11
gah, make sure you pre-register for their site else you can't save the journeys.

verrrrrrrrry slow. :moremad::moremad:

PaulOfHorsham
26-05-2011, 00:46
Hmmm, well, even at £1-£2 return, I'm not sure that you'd get your full money's worth in Horsham! I am thinking about a trip somewhere, although, as these are Advance tickets, I think that you have to commit to specific trains. Lewes appeals (as always) but I'm trying to come up with something a little different.

If you fancy a walk over the Downs, combining Arundel & Amberley is a good option.

Slow: yes, the website is always slow, and may well buckle later today, with these fares.

Quinno
26-05-2011, 01:09
site won't go any further than the delivery details - fail.

I'm off to bed, what a shower, makes the Glastonbury site look like bbc.co.uk. :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::m uppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::mup pet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet:

trainman
26-05-2011, 10:09
Saw great 50p/75p offers earlier, but am now just getting error messages.
Considered Chichester or Arundel, though the pubs list for the former doesn't look extraordinary I could cherry-pick then move on to Barnham, just for Murrell, then walk to one that's been on my target list for some time - Maypole in Yapton. Bridge at Amberley would be too far to walk, time-wise, and don't know whether it warrants a separate train stop (which might cost another 50p, but the website won't show me!)

Quinno
26-05-2011, 10:20
Saw great 50p/75p offers earlier, but am now just getting error messages.
Considered Chichester or Arundel, though the pubs list for the former doesn't look extraordinary I could cherry-pick then move on to Barnham, just for Murrell, then walk to one that's been on my target list for some time - Maypole in Yapton. Bridge at Amberley would be too far to walk, time-wise, and don't know whether it warrants a separate train stop (which might cost another 50p, but the website won't show me!)

I am trying again but I think it's likely to end in failure!

Have been to both the Murrell and Maypole - excellent places. Now, should we try and say we'd meet up and do those one Saturday if either of us can get through the site??

I can do July 2, 9 or Aug 13.

Says you?

EDIT: Pah, full of errors. Far from gaining a whole wedge of new customers and attracting good PR, this is actually making me hate Southern Trains from a previous position of indifference.

trainman
26-05-2011, 10:54
Jul9 most manageable of those, though it'd be a triumph over logistics to co-ordinate(!), & I guess Saturdays will have highest demand for cheapest fares.
I was expecting Arundel to have a decent smattering of beery delights, but research suggests not..?
So maybe Lon-Chichester (train), Chich-Barnham (train), Barnham-Yapton (walk), Yapton-Barnham (stagger), Barn-Lon (train). That's omitting the Amberley pub which may prove a challenge too far.

Quinno
26-05-2011, 11:33
Jul9 most manageable of those, though it'd be a triumph over logistics to co-ordinate(!), & I guess Saturdays will have highest demand for cheapest fares.
I was expecting Arundel to have a decent smattering of beery delights, but research suggests not..?
So maybe Lon-Chichester (train), Chich-Barnham (train), Barnham-Yapton (walk), Yapton-Barnham (stagger), Barn-Lon (train). That's omitting the Amberley pub which may prove a challenge too far.

OK I am in the (what I am hoping are) the final throes of securing a CJ-Brighton ticket. Over an hour so far.

Once that's secured, I will try booking for myself a CJ-Chichester single with a Barnham-CJ return for the 9th. Will get a ticket to arrive Chichester around 11 and back at CJ for around 10:15pm

Let's see how things go...!

UPDATE - The payment screen is kaput. Just a sea of whiteness. Not good.

the https://secure5.arcot.com site is taking 10 minutes to process payments. I apparently now have cheapo tickets to Brighton.

trainman
26-05-2011, 13:18
The site has acknowledged the problems due to unprecedented (but surely not unexpected?) demand, and has extended the booking window until midnight, Sun 29th.

NickDavies
26-05-2011, 13:34
The site has acknowledged the problems due to unprecedented (but surely not unexpected?) demand, and has extended the booking window until midnight, Sun 29th.

They really are hopeless. I think it's setup for about three concurrent users. On a snowy day you can try to get in to it, give up, walk to the station, come back again having hung around stamping your feet for half an hour with two hundred other people then finally get though to be told a normal service is operating to all destinations.

hondo
26-05-2011, 13:42
If you make it to barnham i hope the murrell arms is as good as it used to be (landlady retiring)

Quinno
26-05-2011, 13:46

The steps are obviously very process-intensive and it's what...about 6 steps to purchase tickets? - all of which are munching up huge amounts of server. And of course, what happens when things hang? People hit F5 over and over which is the equivalent of kicking a dying badger to try and revive it. Hence the errors (I've just spent the last hour trying and failing to buy ticket#2).

Still, once the lunch rush is over I reckon I'll get through. I have all day and at least it means I'm getting PuG reviews done whilst I wait! :cool:

RogerB
26-05-2011, 14:03
The offer has been extended to midnight on Sunday so no big rush if anyone can't sort anything out today although I suspect it is one of those "sorry sold out but here's an alternative but not such a great offer" things.

Quinno
26-05-2011, 14:38
"Fatal Application Error
We're sorry, but there has been a fatal error with the application. We are working hard to resolve the problem as quickly as possible and expect to have the system working again very soon.
In the meantime, please browse our Travel Information pages for information on train travel times and fares.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
If you continue to receive this error please contact us and provide as much detail as possible."

hahahahahaha

Quinno
26-05-2011, 19:01
site back up as of 7.

Trying again :)

UPDATE - just as bad, crashed out at payment and now the cheeky beggar has told me my reservations have expired. Let's see how things look tomorrow morning, today is a write-off.

Quinno
27-05-2011, 01:17
Site is now up and running, positively whizzing in fact!

Jim, I have tickets for Chichester, however the Barnham to Clapham leg has no cheapies left so it's a Chichester return - we can sort stuff out on the day if you're still up for it. My tickets:

Journey: 1 Clapham Junction to Chichester
Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Clapham Junction at 10:08 travel by Train service provider Southern Railways to station Chichester arrives 11:34

Journey: 2 Chichester to Clapham Junction
Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Chichester at 20:07

UPDATE: It's now refusing to take any more payments from my card when I tried to get Eastbourne tickets - wonder if they've snuck that in to stem the flow?

trainman
27-05-2011, 09:01
it's a Chichester return - we can sort stuff out on the day

Arriving 30mins later, same train back.
If my usual 2 associates tag along, then we can get Chich-Barnham open rtn on groupsave for £1.90 each, a tiny bit galling when the London-Chich bit was just £1.35 each, rtn(!), but hey ho - at least it would provide flexibility for the number of jokers consumed in Maypole & Bridge.

The process was pretty stressful, I quickly found my ticket options but added the selection to my saved box and went on to search other trips, Lewes etc. After a couple of error messages, as the system slowed down, it decided I didn't have anything in my saved box, so I had to start again. Finally got the same trains, so paid individually, and may return to seek other options after another cuppa!

Quinno
27-05-2011, 10:06
Arriving 30mins later, same train back.
If my usual 2 associates tag along, then we can get Chich-Barnham open rtn on groupsave for £1.90 each, a tiny bit galling when the London-Chich bit was just £1.35 each, rtn(!), but hey ho - at least it would provide flexibility for the number of jokers consumed in Maypole & Bridge.

The process was pretty stressful, I quickly found my ticket options but added the selection to my saved box and went on to search other trips, Lewes etc. After a couple of error messages, as the system slowed down, it decided I didn't have anything in my saved box, so I had to start again. Finally got the same trains, so paid individually, and may return to seek other options after another cuppa!

Excellent news!

I have also secured tickets to Eastbourne, so if anyone wants to join me, here are the details!

Outward journey
13 Aug 2011
Depart:
Clapham Junction dep. 09:53
Arrive:
Eastbourne, 11:13
Changes: 0 Duration: 1h 20m
Advance Single 90% off£0.90
Route: Southern train services only

Return journey
13 Aug 2011
Depart:
Eastbourne dep. 20:31
Arrive:
Clapham Junction, 21:51
Changes: 0 Duration: 1h 20m

PaulOfHorsham
27-05-2011, 10:16
As you're doing Chichester, I may tag along - I'm en-route (train splits at Horsham) although it may be simpler for me just to buy a ticket on the day.

RogerB
27-05-2011, 11:28
The site is being a bit of a pig but I'm still on the case re Chichester. I would do Eastbourne but until the new footy fixtures are announced, Saturdays are on hold after mid August.

Quinno
27-05-2011, 11:35
The site is being a bit of a pig but I'm still on the case re Chichester. I would do Eastbourne but until the new footy fixtures are announced, Saturdays are on hold after mid August.

Tip - when processing the payment it goes to an external site - it should say 'processing' but may take a while, patience is key!

RogerB
27-05-2011, 11:59
Got there in the end. All booked up for Chichester for the princely sum of £1.35 return. Departing 9.32 Victoria, return train 20.07.

trainman
27-05-2011, 12:02
Departing 9.32 Victoria...

Always looking for that extra beer time Roger! Try & have 4 or 5 before us mortals arrive.

RogerB
27-05-2011, 12:14
Always looking for that extra beer time Roger! Try & have 4 or 5 before us mortals arrive.

Need my 'Spoons brekky to kick things off (assuming there is one - I haven't actually done any homework yet!).

trainman
02-06-2011, 08:10
***Check your travel tickets and coupons*** if you receive by post.
Two of three bookings I've received, to date, have been missing either tickets or (required) reservations.
I don't know why they need separate train reservation dockets - other providers manage to print train times on the actual travel ticket.

trainman
04-06-2011, 08:21
Well, three of my four journeys have been received with some travel coupons missing.
I called about the first two and, was told I wouldn't need reservations as there were no seat bookings. I explained the reservations were required to validate travel tickets for specific trains and, as yet, have not had a reply as to how they intend to resolve the situation.

I called again yesterday about the newly received tickets, and more missing reservation counterparts and was told, incredibly, that I would need to purchase regular tickets on the day of travel, then apply for a refund!!!! Whaaaaat????
I told the adviser (who had sought guidance) that I realised it wasn't his fault, but that whoever told him that must be mad and I'd like to escalate the situation. I later got a rather dismissive message from his 'team leader' reiterating that I should purchase new tickets and apply for a refund. They've got to be effin joking. That's not going to happen, and who says I (and presumably many others who may have been affected by what is evidently a glitch - the most recent booking ref even states 6 coupons attached, when it should be 8) could afford to buy packages of regular tickets and await refund? Ludicrous!
Scalding letter is being drafted to demand, at the very least (and maybe the simplest solution) a cover letter permitting travel on those ticket numbers for which reservations were not printed.

RogerB
04-06-2011, 09:58
Got my Chichester tickets through - they look OK to me.

rpadam
04-06-2011, 10:49
My various trips all came through OK...

Quinno
04-06-2011, 12:19
...as are mine.

Looks like you've been very unlucky Jym!

trainman
04-06-2011, 13:07
Looks like you've been very unlucky Jym!

You're not kidding! Whether the printer fails to handle tickets for more than one passenger correctly, I don't know. In fact, the one journey that arrived correctly was separately booked for me & a pal to Haywards Heath as I wanted a plusbus & he doesn't need one. Maybe the multi-traveller order has the glitch effect?

RogerB
13-06-2011, 15:32
A new offer between London & Birmingham if anyone's planning anything...

http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/half-price-tickets-between-birmingham-and-london/?=

PaulOfHorsham
13-06-2011, 19:30
The deal is even better (http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/half-price-tickets-between-birmingham-and-london/) than first appears...

"If you are travelling to/from another station, don't worry, the £9 fare applies to/from every station within the West Midlands!"

Not sure how far out the "West Midlands" extends as far as LM's rail network is concerned, but a play with the ticket booking website should help.

trainman
15-06-2011, 08:32
[QUOTE=trainman;33216]You're not kidding! Whether the printer fails to handle tickets for more than one passenger correctly, I don't know.QUOTE]

Incredibly, they told me I would have to buy new tickets on the day, then apply for a refund!!! Erm, no, that won't be happening.
I write a swingeing letter asking, nay demanding, proper reservation counterfoils, new tickets or, probably easiest, a cover letter authorising travel on the tickets without the unprinted reservation coupons.
They just replied, saying they can't reply just at the moment but they will try to do so within 28 days, by which time all my journeys will have expired, so that's nice!! MUPPETS!
I'm gonna print the reserved train times from my online bookings, and they can like it or lump it.

trainman
03-07-2011, 09:49
Further to the correspondence above, they have now written to say they are 'processing the refunds' I requested (I didn't!), but that they need me to return the original travel tickets (I won't!). It beggars belief that they so obviously failed to read my letter, which clearly stated their ticketing error and suggested three simple solutions; I would say that they deliberately misinterpreted my message, but I left no room for ambiguity. The Casketeers will have to complete the final trip with tickets supported by my account booking ref, to replace the missing train reservations.

hondo
28-07-2011, 08:24
"He has been taken to Worthing Hospital for a medical assessment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14317169

RogerB
28-07-2011, 09:03
"He has been taken to Worthing Hospital for a medical assessment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14317169

That would be considered First Class travel if it was India.