PDA

View Full Version : BrewDog Camden

hondo
24-05-2011, 12:53
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden

Bucking Fastard
24-05-2011, 13:04
Thanks for the alert,Camden could do with a decent drinking venue.Lets hope BrewDog manage to keep to their schedule for opening.:drinkup:

aleandhearty
24-05-2011, 14:58
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden

Hmmm. Quite surprised to read that. Local bloggers were getting their knickers in a twist about Leeds being the next city on BrewDog's list:

http://eatingisntcheating.blogspot.com/2011/05/brewdog-bar-to-open-in-leeds-this-year.html

Maybe next in line?

trainman
24-05-2011, 15:20
Camden could do with a decent drinking venue.
Indeed, and thank goodness this isn't quite as far north as soulless up-its-own-arse Camden Town. Maybe a possible call in when passing thru Euston.

Hmmm. Quite surprised to read that. Local bloggers were getting their knickers in a twist about Leeds being the next city on BrewDog's list:

http://eatingisntcheating.blogspot.com/2011/05/brewdog-bar-to-open-in-leeds-this-year.html

Maybe next in line?

Yes. Glad I didn't find that Betfair market for next Brewdog location...!

Quinno
24-05-2011, 17:07
Despite using the phrase 'craft ale' I suspect that this, like their others, will be keg-only.

Which is fair enough but I won't be making a massive beeline for it if so.

Spinko
24-05-2011, 18:38
Despite using the phrase 'craft ale' I suspect that this, like their others, will be keg-only.

Which is fair enough but I won't be making a massive beeline for it if so.

What's wrong with keg? Their 5am Saint is absolute sublime from it.

Quinno
25-05-2011, 15:39
What's wrong with keg? Their 5am Saint is absolute sublime from it.

Because 5am Saint is even better from cask! I'll probably pop in, but it won't necessarily be as exciting for me to get to as the revamped Southampton Arms or Euston Tap were. It'll be filed under "when I'm passing" rather than "specific diversion".

trainman
25-05-2011, 22:21
I suspect that this, like their others, will be keg-only.

Didn't know that. Shame if they can't cater for a broader (& some may say target) audience with at least a couple of HPs.

Quinno
26-05-2011, 09:18
Didn't know that. Shame if they can't cater for a broader (& some may say target) audience with at least a couple of HPs.

hee hee, whilst they make a big bluster about being 'artisan' and 'craft' they're after long life kegs that can be put into trendy pubs and bars and increase profits just like it's 1972.

If they can't even be bothered to put in a couple of casks in their own bars it makes you wonder whether they will simply stop casking altogether in a few years. Or whether they realise that the type of person they are likely to employ in these bars is just some tragic workshy wannabe-hipster who doesn't have the braincells to look after the cellar properly.

Everyone loses, really.

Spinko
31-05-2011, 06:11
Because 5am Saint is even better from cask! I'll probably pop in, but it won't necessarily be as exciting for me to get to as the revamped Southampton Arms or Euston Tap were. It'll be filed under "when I'm passing" rather than "specific diversion".

Well I've not yet seen it on cask, but it would be pretty hard to improve upon the keg or bottled version.

I expect like most cask ale, it could be very nice or it could be appalling. I've known very good beers in very good pubs to be unable to be enjoyed as nothing like real thing.

Spinko
31-05-2011, 06:15
hee hee, whilst they make a big bluster about being 'artisan' and 'craft' they're after long life kegs that can be put into trendy pubs and bars and increase profits just like it's 1972.

If they can't even be bothered to put in a couple of casks in their own bars it makes you wonder whether they will simply stop casking altogether in a few years. Or whether they realise that the type of person they are likely to employ in these bars is just some tragic workshy wannabe-hipster who doesn't have the braincells to look after the cellar properly.

Everyone loses, really.

If they continue to serve excellent tasting beer, they can make all the profit they want.

Incidentally some of the best beer service I've received recently has been at places like Port St Beer House, Sparrow Bier Cafe, and North Bar - that you might deem "trendy". If that means they actually play good music, and serve bites to eat, I'm all for trying to be trendy by you know, appeasing your customers.

But some of the worst service has been in renowned "real ale bars" where being under 30 seems to put you immediately to the back of the queue.

hondo
06-06-2011, 10:59
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/growlers-coming-to-all-brewdog-bars-in-357-weeks

aleandhearty
06-06-2011, 14:23
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/growlers-coming-to-all-brewdog-bars-in-357-weeks
In West Yorkshire, 'growler' is local slang for a pork pie, or an unflattering term for a lady's private parts. Could be interesting when they open their Leeds premises: 'If you go to the bar you can get your growler filled' :eek:

Quinno
06-06-2011, 14:45
In West Yorkshire, 'growler' is local slang for a pork pie, or an unflattering term for a lady's private parts. Could be interesting when they open their Leeds premises: 'If you go to the bar you can get your growler filled' :eek:

you beat me to it! :lol::lol:

Pubsignman
14-10-2011, 15:05
Thanks for the alert,Camden could do with a decent drinking venue.Lets hope BrewDog manage to keep to their schedule for opening.:drinkup:

I was in Camden on Wednesday evening and took a slight detour to see how this place was shaping up. Unfortunately, they've not managed to stick to their schedule for opening - the building has seemingly not been touched since its last day trading as a restaurant. There was a sign in the window, which I couldn't read properly in the dark, but I think it was to do with Brewdog's ongoing attempts to sort out their license.

Shame, as it wasn't easy finding a decent pint nearby.

hondo
11-11-2011, 09:40
"We should be ready to rock on December 10th"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/update-on-brewdog-camden

hondo
07-12-2011, 08:01
"The doors will open (hopefully at 12 noon)"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden0

Wittenden
07-12-2011, 08:39
"We should be ready to rock on December 10th"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/update-on-brewdog-camden

But will there be real ale??? Or are this bunch so up themselves they are going keg just to annoy?

hondo
07-12-2011, 10:15
But will there be real ale??? Or are this bunch so up themselves they are going keg just to annoy?
would expect its keg only although i've never been in a brewdog pub

aleandhearty
07-12-2011, 10:18

I think the clue is in Hondo's link where it says 'We will have 20 draft (sic) lines in total'. As has been reported elsewhere, the craft beer thing is so urban centred at the moment, I'm sure trendy Camden-ites will lap it up.

Wittenden
07-12-2011, 11:27
, I'm sure trendy Camden-ites will lap it up.

If I was passing (unlikely) I'd try it,in the same way I tried Tap East,though the ghastly Westfield Centre at Stratford is hardly trendy. Interesting beer thgough at Tap, handpumps too!

Bucking Fastard
07-12-2011, 12:32
"The doors will open (hopefully at 12 noon)"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden0

Thanks for the heads up,might be passing back through Camden next week and ,out of curiosity, may pay a visit.

I'm sure trendy Camden-ites will lap it up.

They may be less pleased with a couple of dishevelled boaters in their midst,it's been a long time since I have been refused service :D

oldboots
07-12-2011, 19:12
I think the clue is in Hondo's link where it says 'We will have 20 draft (sic) lines in total'. As has been reported elsewhere, the craft beer thing is so urban centred at the moment, I'm sure trendy Camden-ites will lap it up.

what about trendy loiners?

BrewDogJames James Watt tweeted 7th December:
Today, I am signing the lease on BrewDog Leeds.

Should keep Spinko happy :D

Alesonly
08-12-2011, 02:16

It Don't look like theres any Real Ale as theres only 8 Keg fonts on that concrete Bar four each end. Looking at them pictures it looks rather cold and uninviting with a steel floor concrete & brick bar and bare walls .

gillhalfpint
08-12-2011, 07:46
Someone who called in said there were 20 keg taps. Brewdog lost the plot on cask now it seems.

aleandhearty
08-12-2011, 17:45
what about trendy loiners?

BrewDogJames James Watt tweeted 7th December:
Today, I am signing the lease on BrewDog Leeds.

Should keep Spinko happy :D

It all went very quiet on the Leeds front, didn't it? Was a site decided? Off the top of my head I can't remember.

oldboots
10-12-2011, 09:46
It all went very quiet on the Leeds front, didn't it? Was a site decided? Off the top of my head I can't remember.

Nothing on their blog or website about it, just the tweet, I don't know the proposed location either. My guess would north/northwest of city centre for target punters?

Wittenden
11-12-2011, 13:41
According to comments on Tandleman's blog, they are ceasing cask production in the New Year. Never sen any in a pub anyhow, and unlikely to now! They've had glowing reviews in the past for some of their beers: a pity.

hondo
12-12-2011, 06:35
"It was immediately clear that this is not a bar for the weak-of-liver or shallow-of-wallet"
http://londonist.com/2011/12/london-beer-quest-brewdog-camden.php

hondo
15-12-2011, 06:31
"No Tennents. No Carling. No Smirnoff. No Televisions."

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden-is-oficially-open

rpadam
15-12-2011, 18:58
"No Tennents. No Carling. No Smirnoff. No Televisions."

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-camden-is-oficially-open
They also claim: "We are not cool. We are not pretentious. We just care. And we are your friends."

Bucking Fastard
17-12-2011, 17:19
According to comments on Tandleman's blog, they are ceasing cask production in the New Year. Never sen any in a pub anyhow, and unlikely to now! They've had glowing reviews in the past for some of their beers: a pity.

A great pity indeed.Mr Phat and myself popped in to their Camden bar,and were both very disappointed with their keg versions of Punk IPA and 5am Saint which had only a passing resemblance to the terrific cask versions.Both the coldness and the high level of carbonation overpowered what taste there was and when the barman suggested we warm up the Wasabi Stout in our hands if we wanted to taste the horseradish flavour,my only thought was why serve it so cold in the first place.
Interestingly the ABV of the keg Punk IPA is 5.4%,well below the cask and bottled version of 6% so maybe they are adopting some habits of the more established brewers. As Gill says ,they could be loosing the plot.
Clearly the BrewDog owners are innovative brewers of very high powered beers and that is an achievement.

However one of the most dangerous traits in any business is when you start to believe your own bullsh*t..........

aleandhearty
17-12-2011, 19:49

Clearly the BrewDog owners are innovative brewers of very high powered beers and that is an achievement.
However one of the most dangerous traits in any business is when you start to believe your own bullsh*t..........

I suppose Magic Rock could always expand to fill the gap in the market. :whistle:

Bucking Fastard
17-12-2011, 20:39
I suppose Magic Rock could always expand to fill the gap in the market. :whistle:

Agreed, they really are wonderful brewers at Magic Rock and every one of their ales I have tried recently has been tip top. Curious will probably be my BOTW .I used to wax as lyrical about BrewDog two years ago before their fall from grace:(

PaulOfHorsham
17-12-2011, 23:35
Interestingly the ABV of the keg Punk IPA is 5.4%,well below the cask and bottled version of 6%

Notwithstanding the other comments, Punk was downrated some time ago: the (empty) bottle downstairs is 5.6% and was just fine. I think the cask version weighed in much the same when I sampled it some months back.

Spinko
18-12-2011, 11:38
Agreed, they really are wonderful brewers at Magic Rock and every one of their ales I have tried recently has been tip top. Curious will probably be my BOTW .I used to wax as lyrical about BrewDog two years ago before their fall from grace:(

Magic Rock's collaboration brew Rock Star is absolutely amazing, a hoppy American brown ale. I don't recall having had a bad Magic Rock brew yet.

aleandhearty
20-12-2011, 12:04
Magic Rock's collaboration brew Rock Star is absolutely amazing, a hoppy American brown ale. I don't recall having had a bad Magic Rock brew yet.

Blimey, what's this? Spinko raving about a brown beer. :D Pubsignman was raving about Rock Star when we met recently and it was his BOTW last week. Certainly agree about not having a bad brew from MR yet and High Wire is my beer of the year.

Brewguru
21-12-2011, 08:30

Tried a Brewdog Xmas Porter 6.0% in the Brewers Arms South Petherton. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33119/ and without being vile I stuggled to finish the pint. It was just too sweet for a modern day beer. I remember drinking dark beers like this back in the early 90s and didn't particularly like them then - and I am not a pale beer hophead either.

I dare say the clamour for cask versions of their beers, good or bad will ensure continuation of their production. The volumes they must produce in thier new brewhouse means they need as many accesses to market as possible, how else could I drink a beer made north of Aberdeen in rural Somerset?

gillhalfpint
21-12-2011, 08:50
House of the Trembling Madness in York were selling 3 of the Brewdog bottled beers. One was £50 and the other two were for sale at £75 each.

I had 2 tap beers, N'ce Chouffe Christmas 10% and Delerium Noel 10% instead. OK they were £4 and £3.75 for the half pints, but boy oh boy were they good.

Spinko
21-12-2011, 17:34
Blimey, what's this? Spinko raving about a brown beer. :D Pubsignman was raving about Rock Star when we met recently and it was his BOTW last week. Certainly agree about not having a bad brew from MR yet and High Wire is my beer of the year.

Rock Star's a lot more hoppy than BBB Tetley's..not a hop in sight for that

Strongers
19-01-2012, 22:15
I have managed to grab a couple hours or so drinking on myown in London tomorrow afternoon and I thought I’d do the Brewdog in Camden andthe Euston Tap. I didn’t realise that there is a place called cider tap next doorto the ET… is it related? The lack of reviews would suggest not!

I’ve been away from NW1 for less than two years, but theamount of new bars and name changes is unbelievable…. What ever happened tobuilding up a reputation?

Yes I have a dodgyspacebar!

Pubsignman
19-01-2012, 23:06
I didn’t realise that there is a place called cider tap next doorto the ET… is it related? The lack of reviews would suggest not!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

They are related, but the Cider Tap hasn't been open all that long, so hasn't been reviewed yet - sounds like you'll get that honour!

http://www.eustontap.com/pages.php?navid=9

Strongers
20-01-2012, 12:07
They are related, but the Cider Tap hasn't been open all that long, so hasn't been reviewed yet - sounds like you'll get that honour!

http://www.eustontap.com/pages.php?navid=9

Change of plans... Doh!

Hopefully be up that way on Monday or Thursday though..... I do like a nice pint of cider!

trainman
19-09-2012, 06:37
Had a quick half in Brewdog Camden a couple of weeks back. Too expensive but my choice was excellent (sorry, can't remember), but both my pals' 5am Saints were not as perfect as they should have been.

Anyway, I just came on to say I've just bought a 'groupon' at £12 for a 2-hr tutored tasting here; 5 beers tastings, a beer cocktail, and cheese. I wouldn't have thought groupon would be up my street at all, but if you don't like the offers in the daily emails, just delete them!
Another that hooked me in was a 10-crse taster menu discounted 62% - £60 for 2pax. Not at Brewdog!