PDA

View Full Version : Child free pubs

Farway
29-12-2009, 14:05
Noting from Filo post about a child free Arcadia cruise, yesterday I spotted a sign outside of Haven House Inn at Mudeford [yes, sun was shining down here yesterday, thank you for asking]]

"Children & wet suits not permitted in bar" [pictures posted once I sort them]

I am also told the Pilgrim Inn near Marchwood has a sign "Children not welcome"

All of which set me wondering if it would be useful to add either icon or note if kids are not encouraged?

I know given choice I would probably avoid a pub with kids running amok, and it could be useful to to others to avoid a child unfriendly pub if family is on day out

Comments anyone?

Tilly-Miss
29-12-2009, 16:54
Good idea it would at least let people know who is welcome and who is not, i like to take my grand children to a watering hole and always like to research if they have any attractions for the children to keep them busy.

oldboots
29-12-2009, 17:42
It's certainly useful to know if a pub is particularly child friendly, over-run or if they're banned, I do try to remember to put this information into recommendations but usually I'm not explicit unless it's extreme one way or the other. I don't know about icons, if PG put one in for this what else will they be asked to provide icons for, we could end up with death by icon.

Eddie86
29-12-2009, 19:13
Good idea it would at least let people know who is welcome and who is not, i like to take my grand children to a watering hole and always like to research if they have any attractions for the children to keep them busy.

This is something we're debating, as recently (Xmas period) we've had some extremely rude parents in. It's interesting that you look for the pub to keep the children busy - we're looking at a slide in the garden for example. But with a micro-brewery and 10 handpumps on the way, as well as developing the restaurant offer (separate area to the bar) we're considering banning under 8s (the reasoning behind Under 8s is that we really don't have space for prams.

It's a tough call - James is approaching 2 and I'd like us to be the kind of pub that would let him in, as he's been brought up to understand the pub as an adult place where children are expected to behave quietly, but it's that same old story of the minority spoiling it for the rest - over summer we had to several times ask parents to leave, as they didn't see a problem with their kids throwing stones at the fish in the pond.

But obviously we can't rush the decision, as everything else rotates around what we do (the lower bar would become a snug/lounge if we don't allow children and a designated family room if we do, for example)

I'd be interested to hear more about what people look for on this point - for example do you look for other types of pub when you're not with your grandchildren?

Conrad
29-12-2009, 19:27
OB has hit the nail on the head, we have spoken about this a couple of times most recently here where Hopwas suggested similar (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?555-Just-few-suggestions) and I am sure at some point with FILO, but I can't find it now so I may have imagined it.

We would like to add icons, but it is knowing which icons are necessary whilst avoiding the death by icon, the other thing is to ensure you always go for the positive spin, I am guessing that whilst a lot of pubs do ban children, they don't promote themselves on that, as opposed to the pubs that are child friendly who will want to promote that. So the icon is to be child friendly rather than children not allowed. Ah the joys of Political Correctness.

Really this should be a fairly easy thing to do, but I end up with loads of silly stumbling blocks every time I think about it, what should we have icons for, where to get the icons, how to keep it up to date .....

It will happen 1 day though:)

Tilly-Miss
29-12-2009, 19:40
Well i must say i am sorry to hear that parents would allow children to throw stones at fish in the pond, and i am aware many do not really care what the children do as long as they can enjoy there beer, i certainly would not allow that behaviour and you are correct in asking them to leave.Regarding the type of pub? i love going to any pub and if the hospitality is good i will stop and have a session,i enjoy meeting people and it is always nice to speak to the locals.
I am no way interested in the Harvester chain of outlets,have tried so many with very poor service and food i stopped going, much prefer an olde worlde pub and love the old spit and sawdust places that sadly do not exist anymore,most pubs today have a huge screen a blaring jukebox both on at the same time....Christ almighty if i wanted to watch the ridiculous soap saga's on tv i would stay at home but not many pubs can grasp this, it is one thing that would keep me out of a pub i find TV and pubs just do not work for me,give me a quiet snug anytime.

Oggwyn Trench
29-12-2009, 19:59
I t would be usefull , maybe an icon for the Playbarn type pubs (Macdonalds with beer) and ones for play areas in the beer garden etc .
There are several pubs around here where parents allow their kids to run riot and see no problem with it , though most of these see
no problem in getting totally hammered and not knowing where the kids are untill its time to stagger home :moremad:
I take my Lad to the pub on the understanding that he behaves properly , no running around or shouting . If theres no play area or the weathers bad he will sit with us and play cards or dominoes and he will join in the conversation and general banter with the regulars up to a level , basically i`m trying to teach him proper pub etiquette as my Dad taught me , something sadly lacking these days and not just among the youngsters:mad:

Eddie86
29-12-2009, 23:07
I t would be usefull , maybe an icon for the Playbarn type pubs (Macdonalds with beer) and ones for play areas in the beer garden etc .
There are several pubs around here where parents allow their kids to run riot and see no problem with it , though most of these see
no problem in getting totally hammered and not knowing where the kids are untill its time to stagger home :moremad:
I take my Lad to the pub on the understanding that he behaves properly , no running around or shouting . If theres no play area or the weathers bad he will sit with us and play cards or dominoes and he will join in the conversation and general banter with the regulars up to a level , basically i`m trying to teach him proper pub etiquette as my Dad taught me , something sadly lacking these days and not just among the youngsters:mad:

That sounds how I was taught!

My own thoughts on which way to take the pub sounds as though it would suit Tilly Miss perfectly! Main bar, quiet background music that we turn off (or down further still) once there's a few people chatting, TV at the far end is only on for international rugby at the moment, although we may have it on showcasing the accommodation and ale/cider/malt whisky selection (another debating point for us), 10 handpumps, stools at the bar - I'm sure soup dragon will agree, a pub where the drinkers are equal to people after pub food. The lower bar, once the wall's knocked down, will be a couple of sofas, chairs and coffee tables alongside more comfortable tables and chairs which will have waitress service - the idea being (excuse me being apparently sexist, but hopefully the end justifies the means) that men drinking beer, tucking into Steak & Ale pie and watching the rugby will be happy up top, at the bar, and ladies that prefer more of a wine/coffee bar experience whilst waiting to go into the restaurant adjacent will be happy in the lower bar (or snug, as I hope its called)

I suppose you better come down and have a look when we re-open Soupy!

The other thing I forgot to mention about children - we do serve hot soup, coffees etc, and have an open fire, and are quite small, and I'm dreading a child being burnt or scolded and the result of that.

Thanks for your reply Tilly Miss!

Conrad
29-12-2009, 23:52
Ed,

Have to admit your description sounds heaven to me.

Not a fan of the small noisy beings myself, a true believer in the old adage about being seen and not heard ;) (I fear that many children will be breathing a sigh of relief at our decision not to have children here). No problem with TVs in a bar but they should be there for sport, in this age of pay per view I would prefer to spend the money on the beer and get the sport of choice on in the background, more than once this has been a nice solution when BC are away.

arwkrite
30-12-2009, 00:22
I take my Lad to the pub on the understanding that he behaves properly , no running around or shouting .

When I go with the stepsons to the pub it is on a similar understanding. They become embarrassed by a bloke my age making a noise and making free with the female barstaff. You can see the relief on their faces when I disappear into the plastic ball pit with the six year olds. Trouble is the kids play rough so I am soon out and about annoying everyone.They say its only a phase I am going through and will soon grow out of it.

Seriously... I object to parents treating a pub as a creche or play area and the complaining when one of there kids get trod on ,spilled on or covered in curry or whatever. Well mannered and behaved children fine.
I , like probably most of us here , have seen totally atrocious behavior by children but it must be the parents responsibility.

Soup Dragon
30-12-2009, 10:59
I suppose you better come down and have a look when we re-open Soupy!

Got to, Ed - i have started reading up on Herbert Rowse Armstrong and would like to track down his business premises and so forth, so will be down again!

With regards to children, i hope Ed would agree that mine were well behaved when we visited the Kilverts - in fact it was i that was all over the place. The White Horse in Cheslyn has a sign saying roaming children will be sold as slaves, which i thought was an excellent idea - help the pub financially and so forth, sadly, the landlady pointed out 'it's only a joke, pet'.

Farway
30-12-2009, 14:05
Oddly enough as we were walking back from the Haven House Inn there was a family in front of us on cliff top path, the young [about 8?] son out front had a shrimp net over his shoulder and waving around, bonked my companion with it, only lightly as it was sort of expected and thus avoided, harder & you would see me on telly as "Old git throws boy off cliff" ;)

Absolutely no apology or comment from the parents who witnessed it

If they were an example of potential customers then the Haven House Inn has the right idea.

Conrad
30-12-2009, 18:44
I think we need to start a PG legal fund in preparation for the first of us grumpy git's who throws a kid off a cliff.

Just catching up on the Outnumbered Christmas special (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pk6h2/Outnumbered_Christmas_Special/) on BBC iPlayer. I am now waiting for the episode where they go to a pub.

arwkrite
30-12-2009, 23:06
Please don't get me wrong I love kids preferably served with chips and little side salad, however more than three give me terrible flatulence.( I fully acknowledge the script writers of "Tiswas" or was it" Hancocks Half Hour"? I know its an old one.)

Farway
31-12-2009, 14:50
Please don't get me wrong I love kids preferably served with chips and little side salad, however more than three give me terrible flatulence.( I fully acknowledge the script writers of "Tiswas" or was it" Hancocks Half Hour"? I know its an old one.)

Even older than that, it was W C Fields, " I like children - fried"

Another of his which may apply this time of year

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."

arwkrite
31-12-2009, 16:34
Even the jokes on the TV are repeats.
I think W C Fields and Groucho Marks are the Kings of one liners and put downs but then I am not up much on current comedians.

runningdog
31-12-2009, 16:39
Even the jokes on the TV are repeats.
current comedians.

Are the any..........