PDA

View Full Version : Pub with no ale

Farway
26-12-2009, 14:18
Damn & blast, after my having erred & bought JS Smooth in ASDA I was looking forward to my promised Boxing day lunchtime pints down my local

Walked in at 1230, saw the 6x [my normal tipple] beer clip was turned round, run out :mad:, oh joy, the guest was HSB :D

Ordered a pint, as it was being pulled the pump gurgled ominously, I said that it did not sound to good, Karen [ co owner] went out back & came back with sorry news, run out of ale, next lot due late PM :eek:

Alternatives, could I really order a JS smooth after sinning badly & having a case at home? No

Lager? Bu66er that

Strongbow? Served too cold for me, I prefer ambient temperature and less gassy

Walk up the road, long walk in rain BTW, and even longer walk home, to the alternative which is now more of a a foody gastro pub now [Bird in Hand http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14086/]

Solution was Guinness, not the icy stuff, the old style one. Did the trick but not what I was really looking for

I have just checked the Bird in Hand web site and found they have 3 real ales on, including the local Havant Brewery "Finished" which is Hampshire beer of 2009, and local to me http://www.lovedeanbirdinhand.co.uk/home.cfm?action=drinks

So maybe I will get along there over the Christmas break and sample the place now it has had a makeover

Every cloud / silver lining etc

runningdog
26-12-2009, 19:27
oh joy, the guest was HSB :D

Ordered a pint, as it was being pulled the pump gurgled ominously, I said that it did not sound to good, Karen [ co owner] went out back & came back with sorry news, run out of ale, next lot due late PM

Sounds like sinners get their commupence round your way, but then, as you say, clouds have silver linings. ...HSB...:drinkup:...yes, yes, Yes..........

Farway
27-12-2009, 15:14
Possibly Divine intervention ?

Today we had a power cut at around 1130, siting in gloom & gradually getting colder I decided a walk to pub was the best option

The pub also was experiencing power cut, but a fresh delivery of 6X & HSB had arrived as scheduled, so by candlelight and bonhomie with a neighbour I managed to sample 5 pints of HSB, could have gone on, but physical reality kicks in, how on earth was I to walk home?

Back to clouds & silver linings

arwkrite
28-12-2009, 09:28
A couple of people over the holiday told me some Pharmacies were running short of prescription drugs. It directly affected my grandson, a common antibiotic was required but two places had to visited.. Some places ran short of bread and turkeys and yet I found no shortage apart from brandy sauce mix.Still plenty of beer in the supermarkets and the pubs full of drinkers.Probably everything will come down with a bump in the New Year. There speaks the voice of Optimism.Bah Humbug is not dead ,only sleeping.Perhaps it was the TV schedule that makes me depressed ?

oldboots
28-12-2009, 17:08
The pub also was experiencing power cut, but a fresh delivery of 6X & HSB had arrived as scheduled, so by candlelight and bonhomie with a neighbour I managed to sample 5 pints of HSB, could have gone on, but physical reality kicks in, how on earth was I to walk home?

I rode a bicycle home after about 8 pints of HSB. Mind you I've got the scar to prove it, could have been worse - I could have been sober when I hit the pavement with my chin, never felt a thing:rolleyes:.

Conrad
28-12-2009, 19:38
I rode a bicycle home after about 8 pints of HSB. Mind you I've got the scar to prove it, could have been worse - I could have been sober when I hit the pavement with my chin, never felt a thing:rolleyes:.
Back when doing my A-level in Chemistry we went to a guest lecture given by a forensic scientist, one of the old school before it became wildly fashionable. Very humorous bloke with some excellent examples of his work.

I remember him discussing how most of their work was just blood alcohol testing, and that in general it isn't the slightest bit memorable. He did however remember one case where a cyclist had been stopped by the Police and when tested was found to have had the equivalent of 12 pints of Lager.

The lecturer was keen to point out how impressed he was that anyone could keep their balance at that point unlike useless drivers who just sit down and hope.:)

arwkrite
28-12-2009, 21:04
Its inevitable O.B. You will have to put the stabilizer wheels back on your bicycle.Personally I found it prudent to leave 'em on.:D

oldboots
29-12-2009, 09:53
Its inevitable O.B. You will have to put the stabilizer wheels back on your bicycle.Personally I found it prudent to leave 'em on.:D

I may trade it in for a tricycle or perhaps a mobility scooter.

Farway
29-12-2009, 10:13
I may trade it in for a tricycle or perhaps a mobility scooter.

Out of interest can you get done for being pished in charge of mobility scooter? As no licence is required for the things what could they do?

oldboots
29-12-2009, 11:21
Out of interest can you get done for being pished in charge of mobility scooter? As no licence is required for the things what could they do?

You can get done for being DIC of a bike, a horse, with or without a cart and I'm sure a mobility scooter would also count. If you had a driving license you would almost certainly get points on it, a big fine and the £15 VFS as well I suppose, with no license you'd just get a fine, VFS and some lecture off the bench about acting your age etc. I doubt you could be banned but you might get an ASBO, which can lead to a spell in chocky.

hopwas
29-12-2009, 12:17

I done for cycling whilst drunk.. That was years ago (must be around 10 years ago). I got breathalysed and fined £60. My bike was taken away and put away at Police station. I had to fetch it next day. Needless to say, I never drunk-cycling again..

Farway
29-12-2009, 13:48
I done for cycling whilst drunk.. That was years ago (must be around 10 years ago). I got breathalysed and fined £60. My bike was taken away and put away at Police station. I had to fetch it next day. Needless to say, I never drunk-cycling again..

Never done for drunk cycling, but did come a real cropper a few years back as I cycled home with a skinful in the pouring rain, on a cycle path BTW, so safe from traffic, there was a huge puddle which covered the path, I tried to go round the edge of it, but unbeknown to me that was where the blocked drain was, front wheel went in & off I came, arms & legs everywhere as slithered along the grass verge

Just sheepishly got back on a continued home, much the wiser & wetter

Eddie86
29-12-2009, 19:18
I thought you were going to say this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PA1J0oDphc

Oggwyn Trench
29-12-2009, 20:07
A mate of mine used to finish work at 2 get to the pub at 2.15 then drink till about 10 then cycle the 3 miles home very drunk , the one day he only had a pint as he had a dentist appointment at 3 , he fell off and broke his collarbone , just goes to show !

hopwas
29-12-2009, 22:43
Eddie..

I did not know you are that young, watching Scrubs!

There is must be something do with your beers in your pub...

Eddie86
29-12-2009, 22:54
I'm only 23 you know!

hopwas
29-12-2009, 23:27
I'm only 23 you know!

Please forgive me.. I was imaging you as middle aged. You have permission to slap my face... :o

Didnt realise you are that young working in pub..

Again please accept my unreserved apologises

Conrad
30-12-2009, 00:00
Please forgive me.. I was imaging you as middle aged. You have permission to slap my face... :o

Didnt realise you are that young working in pub..

Again please accept my unreserved apologises
Tell me, I had thankfully guessed his age based on the 86 portion of his name, frequently find myself doing double takes when I read his posts, sounds far too blooming confident/experienced.

Still nice to see him dispel it all in one fell swoop with a Scrubs video. The wife loves it, but by goodness the latest series is poor.

oldboots
30-12-2009, 08:17
Eddie..

I did not know you are that young, watching Scrubs!

There is must be something do with your beers in your pub...

Is there a maximum age limit for watching Scrubs? :eek:

Did some one bring in a <30 rating when I wasn't looking ;)

Will I have to stop using Dr Perry Cox as a role model? :rolleyes:

Conrad
30-12-2009, 08:30
Will I have to stop using Dr Perry Cox as a role model? :rolleyes:
Only if you can't think of a different girls name to call Ed every time you refer to him on the forum ;)