PDA

View Full Version : Pubs in the north are much better than pubs in south.

Tilly-Miss
23-12-2009, 22:17
I used to get around the north on a regular basis and any excuse i would stay out for a few days,my own little bit of man time which sadly the ladies in our lives do not appreciate.
I used to get round Birmingham, Walsall,Warrington,Runcorn,St Helens,Bolton,Rochdale,Manchester,Leeds Wakefield,Derby,Sheffield,Northampton and many more areas, it was great to be in those pubs serving good beer at low prices,i would always get through about £30 per night and always went looking for a good curry house to round the night of.
Made a lot of friends along the way and they never seem to forget me when i return sometime later? strange that?

Maybe a section of good B&B Guest houses on the forum could be a good idea,ones that are near to boozers,then maybe i could phone and book and get back up north for some great entertainment,good company and great beer.

hopwas
23-12-2009, 22:28
:eek:

*dives for cover when Faraway comes back and read this*

runningdog
24-12-2009, 01:12
:eek:

*dives for cover when Faraway comes back and read this*

Never mind Faraway, that's a gross calumny, fighting talk. C'mon Miss Tilly, put 'em up. Hang on arf a mo...:drinkup:... Right, where are yer...:confused:

oldboots
24-12-2009, 08:45
I have lived in the South of England, the North of England and Scotland, I have drank all over the UK from Zennor in Cornwall to Wick in the far north of Scotland, from Ulster to Norfolk, and each area has pubs with their own special magic.

We are very lucky to have our wide range of pubs from the rural time capsules of the Sun at Lentwardine, or the Newport at Braishfield to the high Victorian splendour of pubs like the Philly in Liverpool or the Bartons Arms in Aston, we have weird and wonderful pubs, estate pubs, city centre dives, foody pubs, sports pubs, pubs with strippers, music pubs, canal side pubs, tickers pubs, the basic old boozer,and even JDW...........

and guess what, I have my favourites but I love them all, although sometimes they infuriate me, worry me, even scare me. I don't care where they are, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the beer and the company not location.

Eddie86
24-12-2009, 10:24
I have lived in the South of England, the North of England and Scotland, I have drank all over the UK from Zennor in Cornwall to Wick in the far north of Scotland, from Ulster to Norfolk, and each area has pubs with their own special magic.

We are very lucky to have our wide range of pubs from the rural time capsules of the Sun at Lentwardine, or the Newport at Braishfield to the high Victorian splendour of pubs like the Philly in Liverpool or the Bartons Arms in Aston, we have weird and wonderful pubs, estate pubs, city centre dives, foody pubs, sports pubs, pubs with strippers, music pubs, canal side pubs, tickers pubs, the basic old boozer,and even JDW...........

and guess what, I have my favourites but I love them all, although sometimes they infuriate me, worry me, even scare me. I don't care where they are, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the beer and the company not location.

Hurumph! Anti - Welsh are you then?
:D

I agree though, a good pub is the sum of it's parts, not good just because of one of them.

oldboots
24-12-2009, 11:46

Anywhere in Cymru is good although I have some doubts about Aber - bloody - wryst- bloody- wyth :mad: and some drunk old git in Port Talbot accused me of being English :eek: and not in a good way:p

anyway my grandad's granny came from Llanwryswl, boyo

yacci dah :cheers:

Soup Dragon
24-12-2009, 13:05

I agree though, a good pub is the sum of it's parts, not good just because of one of them.

Remember, whilst the Australians have Fosters, the Welsh have Brains:D

Farway
24-12-2009, 13:27
Right, quick visit before the big day, bluddy cheek

I have travelled around a lot, & like oldboots all from from Cornwall to Skye, had good, bad & indifferent beer everywhere.

As for pubs & people I think it all depends what you are used to and general attitudes of the locals, for instance in Wales the sods where speaking English, then went into Welsh when we walked in, opposite on Skye, they were talking in Gaelic, switched to English when we walked in. In Liverpool never understood a blooming word anyway

If PG are going to list B & B, how about churches? Always a pub near a church

Soup Dragon
24-12-2009, 13:37
If PG are going to list B & B, how about churches? Always a pub near a church

PG does - I have reviewed a few churches - on in Hockley, one in Quarry Bank........;)

hopwas
24-12-2009, 13:48
PG does - I have reviewed a few churches - on in Hockley........;)

I smiled! :D

Have you ever reviewed pub bearing name of Twig?..

oldboots
24-12-2009, 14:43
I smiled! :D

Have you ever reviewed pub bearing name of Twig?..

I've been to a few Royal Oaks, a Green Tree or two and even an Ackhorne but never a Twig

Soup Dragon
24-12-2009, 14:44
Oak & Ivy in Bilston (not on PG yet) is the closest i have been!

hopwas
24-12-2009, 15:02
Oak & Ivy in Bilston (not on PG yet) is the closest i have been!

Hope you are loaded..

There is one in US

http://www.agilitynut.com/06/3/twig.jpg

oldboots
24-12-2009, 15:15
Hope you are loaded..

There is one in US

http://www.agilitynut.com/06/3/twig.jpg

wow that looks a classy place

hopwas
24-12-2009, 15:18
wow that looks a classy place

Soupy will be trembling with fear if he ever see this pub in US...

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2009, 17:21
Soupy will be trembling with fear if he ever see this pub in US...

He could take Leslie Hornby on a date there (Twiggy to you younger folk)

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2009, 17:30
I have drunk North and South and a good pubs a good pub , location dont count , Oxford down south has loads of great pubs , Birkenhead up north is like Beirut on a bad bay :eek:
Know what you mean about some Welsh pubs , but then again i know a few where being Welsh is a problem .
If you want to see the brotherly love between England and Wales try drinking in some of the towns near the border on a weekend like Oswestry and Wrexham and Craven Arms is`nt known locally as Dodge City for nothing

Eddie86
24-12-2009, 17:32
Remember, whilst the Australians have Fosters, the Welsh have Brains:D

We don't talk about them.

Except Rev James - yummy!

hopwas
24-12-2009, 17:53
I have drunk North and South and a good pubs a good pub , location dont count , Oxford down south has loads of great pubs , Birkenhead up north is like Beirut on a bad bay :eek:
Know what you mean about some Welsh pubs , but then again i know a few where being Welsh is a problem .
If you want to see the brotherly love between England and Wales try drinking in some of the towns near the border on a weekend like Oswestry and Wrexham and Craven Arms is`nt known locally as Dodge City for nothing

Hmmm..

Are you forgetting Midlands? :rolleyes:

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2009, 20:44
Hmmm..

Are you forgetting Midlands? :rolleyes:

I`m trying to :D