PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea Where ?

arwkrite
22-12-2009, 01:38
Cannot remember where this pub is. The photographs are six years old. I was more interested in the Alfas back then than photographing pubs. The ducks on the thatched roof may prod someones memory. I would guess its in the southern part of England.

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 09:40
Sorry, Mr A

you know i 'dont do twigs':twigs:

oldboots
22-12-2009, 11:36
A christmas quiz - great idea, is there a prize? ;)

I think it's the Sir John Barleycorn, Cadnam (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13881/) which is just off the end of the M27 in the New Forest.

Farway
22-12-2009, 11:43
Cannot remember where this pub is. The photographs are six years old. I was more interested in the Alfas back then than photographing pubs. The ducks on the thatched roof may prod someones memory. I would guess its in the southern part of England.

As sun is shining Southern England would be fair bet :D, looks sort of Dorset style, seen similar on A35 towards Bournemouth, been that way at any time?

Conrad
22-12-2009, 11:54
I like the way that the signage is all teasingly out of sight. Also great to see some old shaped cars rather than the all look the same stuff out the window these days.

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 11:55
A christmas quiz - great idea, is there a prize? ;)

I think it's the Sir John Barleycorn, Cadnam (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13881/) which is just off the end of the M27 in the New Forest.

OB:notworthy:

I bet you got all those Ask the Family pictures as well

oldboots
22-12-2009, 12:22
OB:notworthy:

I bet you got all those Ask the Family pictures as well

Sometimes,:) but in this case internal evidence of the source material :D

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:30
Sometimes,:) but in this case internal evidence of the source material :D

oooohhhhh, you ate the ducks on the roof:p

oldboots
22-12-2009, 14:03
oooohhhhh, you ate the ducks on the roof:p

with straw mushrooms :p

arwkrite
22-12-2009, 15:39
OB you have got it. I remember being on the M27 southbound en route to the ferry to France. The traffic started to bunch a brake. Realising what was happening ( to close ,to fast) I backed well off the van in front. Enough to say I stopped in time but the following four cars didn't.Virtually no damage to my car (Chrysler Neons are tougher than they look) but the young drivers behind me lost their no claims bonus.
I came off the M27 ASAP as I had started to shake as shock set in. A couple of brandys put me right but the mrs did the rest of the trip.The Alfas were a real sight, some sort of rally.
Thank you OB for solving the mystery.

arwkrite
22-12-2009, 15:53
Sorry, Mr A

you know i 'dont do twigs':twigs:

Soups you really must know how to tell the difference between ostentation ie TWIGS:twigs: (thin branches in glass vases for mere effect) and the wonderful example of the country tradesman's art of thatching.
I cannot remember a thing about the inside of the pub so it may well have had twigs stylishly displayed as obj e d'art. Wonder what the beer was?
If you tried eating those ducks I bet they would taste like old shredded wheat. YUK.:sick:

oldboots
22-12-2009, 16:07
Wonder what the beer was?

I remember it a long long time ago with a Strongs sign so it would have sold Whitbread Trophy and stuff :sick: after 1969, I don't think I ever went in though. I don't know what it sells now but I'll bet it's quite a foody place. Running Dog might have been there more recently as it's near his neck of the woods.

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 16:19
I remember it a long long time ago with a Strongs sign so it would have sold Whitbread Trophy and stuff :sick: after 1969, I don't think I ever went in though. I don't know what it sells now but I'll bet it's quite a foody place. Running Dog might have been there more recently as it's near his neck of the woods.

What was the wattage of the bulb in the bogs, OB?:D

oldboots
22-12-2009, 16:24
What was the wattage of the bulb in the bogs, OB?:D

they don't 'ave new fangled things like lec trickery in the forest, only bulbs they see be the ones in the gaaaden:D

runningdog
22-12-2009, 17:37
Running Dog might have been there more recently as it's near his neck of the woods.

Yep, it's the Barleycorn. Not a pub I use, the nearby White Horse sells better beer and much better food. And it'd easier to get to from the A/M27, but, it also charges more. Neither's a real ale paradise..........

aleandhearty
23-12-2009, 10:32

Good grief! I have to admit I'm seriously impressed by that 'ob'.

Conrad
23-12-2009, 10:37
It is something else isn't it, I wish my memory/observation was a fraction as good, I have been known to walk past my front door.

arwkrite
23-12-2009, 10:55
"I have been known to walk past my front door." Conrad.

I was so preoccupied that one day I walked in to next door. No, preoccupied does not equal drunk, well not in this case. She did not mind. I will draw a veil over the rest.;)

Soup Dragon
23-12-2009, 11:00
I have gone home on the bus after driving into work - no beer involved

arwkrite
23-12-2009, 11:03
Rolled into work on the wrong shift...sober

oldboots
23-12-2009, 11:19
It is something else isn't it, I wish my memory/observation was a fraction as good, I have been known to walk past my front door.

I have gone home on the bus after driving into work - no beer involved

Rolled into work on the wrong shift...sober

I knew a bloke who forgot to go on holiday, all booked up but on the first day he went to work as usual, his wife didn't notice either.

Looks like this is becoming the home for the bewildered. I've also cracked multi-quote - thanks Arkwrite. I'm sure it will all work much better on my trusty Linux machine.

Soup Dragon
23-12-2009, 11:35
I knew a bloke who forgot to go on holiday, all booked up but on the first day he went to work as usual, his wife didn't notice either

it was you

and how do you do multiquote, O?!

oldboots
23-12-2009, 12:09
it was you

and how do you do multiquote, O?!

It sounds like something I could do when pi55ed but my organisational skills are often described as retentive or anal besides my wife ain't that daft.

To multiquote you click the box at the bottom next to the one that says Reply With Quote, it is meant to have a + sign in it but mine doesn't, you should see a label when you hover over it and the + turns to a tick when you click.

Soup Dragon
23-12-2009, 13:07
It sounds like something I could do when pi55ed but my organisational skills are often described as retentive or anal besides my wife ain't that daft.

I refer OB to the reply given by a&h

thanks, SJ - you have enhanced my computer skills by 100%

As i sit here going through some 16/17th century deeds, can life get better - oh just nipped for a pint of Banks's MILD for Xmas - so NO!:D