PDA

View Full Version : Some York corrections

sheffield hatter
21-04-2011, 22:12
The Red Lion Inn & Motel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43631/) should just be The Red Lion.

The Lord Nelson Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43593/) in Nether Poppleton looks like it is in Upper Poppleton when you look at the map (and indeed I "corrected" it when I was planning my trip there:o), but the inn sign clearly states "Nether Poppleton". However, it doesn't show very clearly on the photos I've submitted. Is there anything you can do or suggest to make this clearer, just to try to deter anyone else who might have forgotten not to trust maps?;)

I have moved The Leeman Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58603/) to a new area called Leeman Road, together with The Junction Brewhouse and The Jubilee. This is in response to the review by Trevor Bailey on the Leeman - he is quite right, having visited recently with his comments in mind, I can confirm this is a distinct area quite separate from Holgate.

Please correct the name of Millfield Brewsters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54510/). The sign says The Millfield and it is branded as a Beefeater, which also appears in bold letters on the front of the building, but I would say that the name of the place is The Millfield.

Cheers

oldboots
22-04-2011, 09:06
The Red Lion Inn & Motel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43631/) should just be The Red Lion.

http://redlion-motel.com/default.aspx

sheffield hatter
22-04-2011, 09:20
Yes, on that basis it should be changed to The Red Lion Motel & Country Inn. But on the pub itself it just says The Red Lion. To be honest, I don't care all that much so we'll just leave it to Conrad.

Conrad
22-04-2011, 10:23
Hi sheffield hatter,

We have corrected the name of The Red Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43631/) and The Millfield (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54510/). I am inclined to just follow the pub signs where I can.

I have never been to York, I have never heard of Nether or Upper Poppleton and I really have no strong feeling on where The Lord Nelson Inn is. I would say if they have put one on their sign though then that is probably a good hint of where it is, and if anyone is looking for the pub we do have a map.

Congratulations on sorting out the Leeman Road issue, always nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this site (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?4131-Review/page6) sometimes :moremad:

sheffield hatter
22-04-2011, 12:13
I have never been to York, I have never heard of Nether or Upper Poppleton...

You really should come some time! York is definitely somewhere any pub lover should visit. Oh, and there's the Minster, the old city walls, Jorvik, etc, etc.

The two Poppletons seem like pleasant villages, though whether it's worth the shlep out of the city is up to you.

Congratulations on sorting out the Leeman Road issue, always nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this site (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?4131-Review/page6) sometimes :moremad:

Apologies for having reopened old wounds. On rereading the old thread, I notice you suggested these pubs could be in both areas (Holgate and Leeman Road), which is an option I have used once or twice elsewhere. In this instance, I'm happy to go along with the man who was born there and leave them in Leeman Road.

Cheers

Conrad
22-04-2011, 17:06
Apologies for having reopened old wounds. On rereading the old thread, I notice you suggested these pubs could be in both areas (Holgate and Leeman Road), which is an option I have used once or twice elsewhere. In this instance, I'm happy to go along with the man who was born there and leave them in Leeman Road.
Which bit of this struck you as a good idea? The bit where:

You give massive credence to someone who joined the site just to start an argument about a Road being an Area (and has had an argument with his local paper on the same issue), a one dropper, not even a one drop reviewer
The bit where you value said persons opinion more than one of our top 5 contributors
The bit where you brag about completely ignoring the site developers suggestions

:eek:

:lol:
Really though, mess up the areas as much as you like, but I don't need to hear about it, that wasn't why we made the change.

oldboots
23-04-2011, 08:44
Leeman Road and the streets just off are not easily reachable from the main part of Holgate because the old railway works lie in between, so it's probably a useful distinction. Even the City of York website talks about the Leeman Rd area of Holgate.

Conrad
23-04-2011, 09:01
Excellent, well you learn some new geography every day.

I am sure now that millions more people will find that pub as they search this site for Leeman Road, that has now made this site sooooooooooooooo much more usable. Those pubs will rejoice as their businesses are saved because the tourists flocking to Leeman road were previously unable to find their pubs.

Out of interest though why is all this being posted in the corrections forum and what do you want me to do about it?

Conrad
23-04-2011, 09:19
Leeman Road and the streets just off are not easily reachable from the main part of Holgate because the old railway works lie in between, so it's probably a useful distinction. Even the City of York website talks about the Leeman Rd area of Holgate.
Also having thought about it, if things are in the Leeman Road area of Holgate, how are they not in Holgate?

I can't believe I am answering this again, but why on earth do people have to get their knickers in such a bloody twist about areas, seriously if they are that confusing we can just switch them off I certainly wont care, I can get on with stuff I care about on the site then.

sheffield hatter
23-04-2011, 11:16
Which bit of this struck you as a good idea? The bit where:

You give massive credence to someone who joined the site just to start an argument about a Road being an Area (and has had an argument with his local paper on the same issue), a one dropper, not even a one drop reviewer
The bit where you value said persons opinion more than one of our top 5 contributors
The bit where you brag about completely ignoring the site developers suggestions

:eek:

:lol:
Really though, mess up the areas as much as you like, but I don't need to hear about it, that wasn't why we made the change.

I really don't think this is fair. I was not bragging about anything, merely explaining what I had done and why. If others disagree, there is the flexibility in the system to change it. Just because Trevor Bailey is a "one dropper" who has written to his local paper, it doesn't mean he is wrong about this. Similarly, just because Alan Winfield is a tremendous and highly valued contributor to Pubs Galore, it doesn't mean he is right.

I'm sorry now that I mentioned Leeman Road in my original post about some minor corrections in York. It was meant as a courtesy as much as anything, because of the dispute between Alan and Trevor: I didn't want it to seem like I had gone behind Al's back in making the change.

Conrad, if you think I'm messing up the areas, please disable that facility for me.

Old Boots, thanks for your comment. If the information you have seen indicates that Leeman Road is part of Holgate, the three pubs there should be in both, I guess. However, I am past caring now and will leave it up to you.

Cheers

Conrad
23-04-2011, 11:32
It wasn't meant to be fair, it was meant to suggest there comes a point where this gets irritating to me, a point that is surpassed and now out of sight of the rear view mirror.

Just because Trevor Bailey is a "one dropper" who has written to his local paper, it doesn't mean he is wrong about this. Similarly, just because Alan Winfield is a tremendous and highly valued contributor to Pubs Galore, it doesn't mean he is right.
This is one of those sentences that can as well be written Just because Alan Winfield is a tremendous and highly valued contributor to Pubs Galore, it doesn't mean he is wrong about this. Similarly, just because Trevor Bailey is a "one dropper" who has written to his local paper, it doesn't mean he is right.

It is superfluous and didn't need to be mentioned, ever.

I don't think you are messing up the areas, I think I have repeatedly said I don't want to hear about them, if it was intended for Alan, PM him. If it is intended for me post it in this forum so I can act on it.

Conrad
23-04-2011, 12:17
Ok, I will try and make a slightly calmer post to reduce alienation I am probably causing.

The That Doesn't Go There! forum is intended to tell me about corrections that need to be made to the site. As such it is not indexed as part of the What's New? on the forum so that members who just want to chat don't get bothered by it.

On the flip side, whilst I read all the forums, I will pay special attention to this one and I will try and understand any changes that are requested in it. This means that any posts in here will by necessity take my time (or Dave's) to give them this attention. Even now looking at the first post it is not clear to me what action this requires:

I have moved The Leeman Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58603/) to a new area called Leeman Road, together with The Junction Brewhouse and The Jubilee. This is in response to the review by Trevor Bailey on the Leeman - he is quite right, having visited recently with his comments in mind, I can confirm this is a distinct area quite separate from Holgate.
If it is a courtesy call for Alan all well and good, but I don't see his name there (and it should be in another subforum).

Taking it a step further, whilst I can't speak for Alan, the way I interpreted his comments in the Reviews thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?4131-Review&p=24765#post24765) is that due to a series of reviews that were very personally contradicting him he was getting frustrated by the site. From that perspective I know I would be unimpressed by what you wrote (Alan was presumably fine though as he can speak for himself).

From my perspective, I am sh*t at geography and it genuinely doesn't engage me, my perspective is to make this site as usable as possible. I struggle to believe that the addition of Leeman Road to the site as an area will bring it more visitors or make that pub more findable. It does however clearly make it more comfortable for our regular members so I am happy enough for it to go on in the background where it can happily moderate itself and I can get on with doing the things that I think are important (possibly completely wrongly).

From any perspective I can see that sentence would definitely constitute what I think is Too Much Information, and continued in that vein in later posts - I don't care about Trevor Bailey, as far as I am concerned his only purpose in posting was to cause trouble or troll (mission accomplished). If you, as another of our tremendous and highly valued contributors, are saying it is in Leeman Road that is good enough for me.

This whole conversation would be fine, but while it takes place in this area (subforum) of the forum I feel duty bound to try and give it attention.

I think if there are any further comments, then if they are intended for me and not the forum, just PM me. If they are intended for everyone then either start a new thread or expect me to split it into another location in the forums.

Al 10000
23-04-2011, 14:49
When i reviewed the three pubs in what i thought was the Holgate area of York i stated these pubs were in the Holgate area i did this after looking on an OS map, York street map and a York real ale guide none of these mentioned an area called leeman road but all pointed to an area called Holgate.

Trevor bailey and sheffield hatter think i am wrong in calling the area Holgate i am not going to argue about this but they will have to get in touch with Ordnance Survey and York camra branch to get this new area added to maps and pub guides.

PS I would have replied earlier but i have been having problems with my internet connection over the last few days.

oldboots
24-04-2011, 19:44
I say chaps lets not get all aerated about 3 pubs in an obscure corner of York - the new system of areas really sorts that out, ie by letting people put pubs where they think best seems to work for me.

I don't think there's much requirement for administrative involvement in the current York areas or further comments on the existing areas; so this probably isn't the place for "angels dancing on the heads of pins" type discussions. Shall we accept everyone has a valid view on the subject but for the sake of three pubs we should drop this and move on ?