View Full Version : Signature change

hopwas
21-12-2009, 17:07
:moremad::moremad::moremad:

Who changed my signature?? "Wether*****"

I am looking at you, Conrad :D

Conrad
21-12-2009, 18:26
Ah so that's how the swear filter works :cool:.

Sadly enough everyone stopped mentioning S-p-o-o-n's after I added the filter and is now calling them JDW's, foiled again. :)

hopwas
21-12-2009, 18:30
Ah so that's how the swear filter works :cool:.

Sadly enough everyone stopped mentioning S-p-o-o-n's after I added the filter and is now calling them JDW's, foiled again. :)

Can you put Bristol City as one of swear words by any chance? :D

Conrad
21-12-2009, 18:35
With our recent performances you may get a vote off me on that. :moremad:

hopwas
21-12-2009, 18:42
With our recent performances you may get a vote off me on that. :moremad:

:)

Oh I got around your so called swear word Filter system.. :cheers:

Eddie86
21-12-2009, 19:55
I like the swear filter on triplejack poker. Instead of just **** it changes the word and highlights it in orange. So type in the c-word (not Carling or Carlsberg) and 'cheeseburger' comes up. Brilliant!

hopwas
21-12-2009, 20:07
So type in the c-word (not Carling or Carlsberg) and 'cheeseburger' comes up. Brilliant!

Conrad? :D

Same for another forum I am using.. Type in f word and comes up Fuchsia, S word comes up Sunflower etc etc all swear words replaced with flower names..

Bring back good old Wethersp00n!

Delboy20
21-12-2009, 20:23
There is nothing wrong with Wethersp0ons !!!

hopwas
21-12-2009, 20:49
There is nothing wrong with Wethersp0ons !!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for taking my side, mate..

Conrad
21-12-2009, 22:06
I like the swear filter on triplejack poker. Instead of just **** it changes the word and highlights it in orange. So type in the c-word (not Carling or Carlsberg) and 'cheeseburger' comes up. Brilliant!

Conrad? :D

Same for another forum I am using.. Type in f word and comes up Fuchsia, S word comes up Sunflower etc etc all swear words replaced with flower names..
I don't really see the point of a swear filter, I only switched this one on as I was getting bored of constantly reading about JDW. Now switched off.

hopwas
21-12-2009, 22:14
I don't really see the point of a swear filter, I only switched this one on as I was getting bored of constantly reading about JDW. Now switched off.

Yayy! That's call for champagne! :cheers:

Kidding Conrad.. I know JDW is like Marmite, either you love it or hate it..

Conrad
21-12-2009, 22:34
I don't actually mind JDW.

Early warning, I am about to have a rant. These forums are for your use though, so don't let this reflect on how you all use them, there is certainly no policy to stop JDW chatter!

Reason JDW gets on my nerves though is how much publicity we give them. Our users have very kindly gone through and added JD Wetherspoons to most of their pub listings and added site links to their site, all of which reinforces their brand. We of course get paid nothing for all this (as indeed neither do any of you doing the fine work you do). It does however make our site more accurate which I do like.

On top of that we have the congratulations on here about how little they charge for their drinks, when they can charge that little purely based on their buying power, the smaller independents with single figure pubs will never be able to buy it as cheap, and thus always have to charge more.

It all just grinds against my feeling of fairness, of all the pubs we should be promoting, I don't feel JDW need the help. I would rather we promoted those smaller unique pubs with more personality than a corporate brand.

Anyway, rant over. As I say, that is nothing against anyone, and I know the JDW stuff is mostly in jest. And of all the pubcos, I do enjoy a drink in a JDW, I am also glad that there are other pubs though.

Soup Dragon
21-12-2009, 23:29
I take back all i said on Bristol City

Conrad, you are no longer a :muppet:

up the local:glass::glass:

arwkrite
21-12-2009, 23:52
As Hopwas said JD's is like marmite.That is why I mention the name if I review one,I would hate some one who can't stand the brand to go out of their way for a visit.
Personally I dont mind a good one but they are not everyones pint of beer.

oldboots
22-12-2009, 09:28
I know *** is like Marmite, either you love it or hate it..

Well as far as the pubco that dare not speak its name goes I can take 'em or leave 'em, when they're good they can be excellent but when they're bad they're bludy awful, I find them a bit variable depending on which shift is working. I usually put their name in a review just for the sake of completeness, I do with it Market Town Taverns in Yorkshire as well - I might start doing it with the terrible twosome (Punch and Enterprise) just to warn people.

runningdog
22-12-2009, 09:49
And of all the pubcos, I do enjoy a drink in a JDW, I am also glad that there are other pubs though.

I take your point, but I think you are being somewhat unfair. JDW were small once, and, as I understand it, a policy-decision was made early on which has been stuck to down the years. It seems the rewards for that original decision are now being reaped. Consistantly lower than average prices mean that at least we are being allowed some small share in the profits. Anyway, that's how I see it.
To be honest I don't care a lot as to who runs the pub, or where it is, how unique it is or what size, if it don't sell good beer, I don't want to know..........

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 10:00
Too be honest i am not a big spoons fan, it's just fun to rib hoppy. My personal anathema are Ember Inns - as embers is all that should be left of them - hellish interiors etc - but it comes down to personal taste, that is why it is good to have different opinions on here!

Conrad
22-12-2009, 10:24
JDW's, things that stand out for me:
- having a policy of selling Real Ales
- not being too greedy during the good years
- naming, they put some effort into their names, which can be a little fun to work out sometimes

With my business hat on, I have to be impressed at how well they are getting their branding out there. As an observer of this site however it makes me a little sad that we have edited most of the JDW pubs on the site to either say "Lloyd's No 1" or "JD Wetherspoon". As I am changing them I am generally wondering what has JDW done to deserve this special effort why aren't we changing the Kilvert's listing to Kilverts Hotel (Right Rev Brewery) [sorry to pick on you again Ed, but you are a recognisable example].

Really though, that information improves the site, and I would rather we do anything that improves the site, I do hope one day though we can adjust the site to show the brewers/pubco as a part of the pub rather than just chucking it in brackets after the name for nice big pub chains.

Soup's comment is the most important one though, it is a personal taste thing, and I want there to be room for all opinions on this site.

Eddie86
22-12-2009, 10:49
I think part of it is how much do pubs go into promoting themselves? For example websites - even a simple home-page with opening hours, food served y/n (+ serving times if yes), range of drinks, contact details. Mentioning your pool table, or dartboard. A quick check over tripadvisor, BITE, here, CAMRA as well - offering that website listing, replying to criticism (none of those sites charge you to join).

There's a bloke on the Camra forum that could be seen to 'bang on' about pubs displaying their opening times. Personally I think he's right - if it's 5 to 6pm and the pub infront of you is closed, with no sign of life and no opening hours, what do you do in this weather? Hang around - it might open and half 6, or 7pm.

We're lucky in that we have a good afternoon trade - we're open 8am - at least 10pm (winter hours). But pubs that shut for an afternoon could at least stick a handwritten note in the door saying 'Open 11-3, 6 - 11'

JDW have become successful by not falling into the trap of thinking 'thats so obvious we don't need to promote it'. Breakfast & Coffee to Steaks & Ale, the widest selection of drinks (including lagers) on draught, some weird and wonderful spirits, a huge selection of pubs in the GBG, a regular rag in which the MD (I presume that's what Tim is) personally answers letters written in, including criticism, wifi, AWPs, a regular re-vamp program, award-winning training, clear & easy to use website...

I know this sounds as though I'm in love with them, but I'm actually in the other camp. I can't stand them. The bad experiences out-weigh the good for me personally. But I still respect what he's done, and nicked a fair few ideas from them. The biggest praise is consistency - and we all know what we expect from a JDW.

If small independents aren't going all out to promote their business when times are hard like now, what hope have they got against the propaganda such as the Daily Wail, Sir Liam Boring Idiot Who Believes We Should All Just Play Nicely At Home, the labour government etc

For the record, the brewery is now looking likely to become 'Hay Brewery', allowing me a range of beers along the line of :

Hay on Wye
Hay on Sky
Hay on Fire
Hay at Christmas

etc etc ad nauseam

That feels better - if you've just skipped to the bottom, it was a detailed and in-depth analysis of the pub situation in 2009, including heavily researched facts and stats.

If you actually read it, cheers, sorry about the rant, I'll go lie down now :D

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 11:07
hi Ed

Surely a pun on 'Hay Brewery - always good valuev' - or punch drunk for the winter warmer:rolleyes:

how did brum visit go?

Eddie86
22-12-2009, 11:23
Extremely well! OJS for beer tasting, got my greasy mitts on a bottle of vintage 2004! After lunch a quick snooze before heading for the JDW for steak night (ale tasted old, starting to turn, no sirloin, rumps over cooked, only 2 staff GRRRR!) before heading to the Wellie. Absolutely roasting! So hot we only stayed for one, but it was a beautiful mild, even if I can't recall the name of it. Down to the Old Contemptables for a couple of lovely pints of TT Landlord. Experience only slightly tarred by the staff making it very clear indeed that it was closing time and we would have to leave (although it was quiet in there with at least 3 staff on, so I can understand)

The old man went back last week with mum for anniversary trip to the nutcracker (on at the hippodrome) Went to a lovely victorian pub in the Jewelry quarter but he can't remember it's name. I think when we close in Jan for 2 weeks I'll spend a day up there, see if I can drag a few of the local Camra for a trip. As long as the wrong kind of snow doesn't break the trains...

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 11:36
Jewelry quarter

Pleased you had a good time and your report that the OC's beer was good means i will pop in again. The Wellie is too small - hence gets packed - walked out the other night for that reason. I have reviewd the JQ pubs - i think the photos are up too - see if your dad recognises the pub - the big and obvious one is the Rose Villa

Eddie86
22-12-2009, 11:46
He mentioned beautiful mirrors on the walls if that helps...

Farway
22-12-2009, 12:04
Oh how I agree with Eddie about pubs displaying opening times, I have lost count of times I have tried to get into the Wig & Pen at Southsea, according to window opens at noon, never been open any lunchtime I've tried

Actaully just spotted in Morning Advertiser it is up for sale, maybe that explains a lot

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/property.ma/property/42557?N=496597&PagingData=Po_20~Ps_10~Psd_Asc

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:05

not really - if he mentioned a red phone box, then that was the Rose Villa!

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:12

This one?

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37819/

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:19
This one?

That has Churhcill with punk red hair !

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:21
Too be honest i am not a big spoons fan, it's just fun to rib hoppy. My personal anathema are Ember Inns - as embers is all that should be left of them - hellish interiors etc - but it comes down to personal taste, that is why it is good to have different opinions on here!

:D I know I share your pain with Ember Inn..

I have little personal thing with Sizzing pubs..

1) Smell of overburnt steaks overpowering your sense of smell!
2) Little brats screaming, running around while I trying to eat
3) No guest ales.. only Worthington and Bank's
4) Overpriced
5) etc etc

Ember Inn comes second.. they ruined my beloved Fox Inn. Used be brilliant pub with pool tables, chatting to regulars, friendly staff. Now they are gone replaced with tables everywhere, boring staff I could go on.. :moremad:

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:22
That has Churhcill with punk red hair !

Eh?

You lost me there Soupy..

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:24
Eh?

You lost me there Soupy..

Its an Urban Art Bar - has wierd pictures up - including Churchill with punk hair

Sizzling are c**p, yes - see Sutton Park review!

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:31
Its an Urban Art Bar - has wierd pictures up - including Churchill with punk hair

Sizzling are c**p, yes - see Sutton Park review!

*hoppy spits out coffee*

Eh? you mean it is now "Rock fans would love to go" pub? I hope you are joking mate.. Mind you my last visit was in 2005.

*Hoppy gives high five to Soupy*

Yeah I detest S******g..

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:34
*hoppy spits out coffee*

Eh? you mean it is now "Rock fans would love to go" pub? I hope you are joking mate.. Mind you my last visit was in 2005.

*Hoppy gives high five to Soupy*

Yeah I detest S******g..

it is in a chain with the Lord Clifden, that is the same

Not rock fans - its just called urban art and takes a little adjustment to get used to - its not offensive and too be honest, there are no twigs, so it doesnt bother me - also have cow skin stools - so country & western will like it:D

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:37

Not rock fans - its just called urban art and takes a little adjustment to get used to - its not offensive and too be honest, there are no twigs, so it doesnt bother me - also have cow skin stools - so country & western will like it:D

Must note down for my next visit to Brum.. Cow skin stools?! Blimey.. :eek:

Hey do you know what ale are they selling if you can remember?

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:38
Must note down for my next visit to Brum.. Cow skin stools?! Blimey.. :eek:

Hey do you know what ale are they selling if you can remember?

Butty Bach, Purity UBU and Mad Goose, Hardy & Hanson's MILD - other than that, no!:nishelypished:

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:41
Butty Bach, Purity UBU and Mad Goose, Hardy & Hanson's MILD - other than that, no!:nishelypished:

Purity UBU.. :sick: I HATE them!!!

Butty Bach not too bad.. Had them in.. erm what the name of pub.. Victoria Hotel or summat in City Centre..

Mad Goose.. never tried them

Hanson's :notworthy:.. I dont do :notworthy:

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 12:50
Hanson's :notworthy:.. I dont do :notworthy:

Its probably best you dont, as you need to get the taste of the Carli*g out of your mouth first:p:p

hopwas
22-12-2009, 12:53
Its probably best you dont, as you need to get the taste of the Carli*g out of your mouth first:p:p

:D

For the final time.. I am NOT lager man, my arrogant friend.

I don't mind bit of Belgian lager but not C*****g

Note to Conrad.. can you put C*****g into swear filter :cool:

Eddie86
22-12-2009, 13:59
This one?

Get the man a sp00n - he's found it!

Eddie86
22-12-2009, 14:02

So it really is :twigs: that offend!

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 14:10
and anal arty pointless pictures and sculpture

not keen on lots of sofas

but twigs are hell, so please Ed, dont get them at the Kilverts. My kids loved the individual towels in the toilets by the way - nice touch that - we dont even get soap in most of the places near me!

hopwas
22-12-2009, 14:24
Get the man a sp00n - he's found it!

Wooo!! :cheers:

So thats the one your old man went eh? Cracking little Edwardian (not victorian I must say) pub.

Until Soupy told me today...

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 14:38
it re-opened a couple of years ago, when it became an UAB, the Clifden followed suit a year ago-ish

hopwas
22-12-2009, 14:43
it re-opened a couple of years ago, when it became an UAB, the Clifden followed suit a year ago-ish

Hey mate..

Have a look at this..

http://www.theredlionbirmingham.com/index.html

Soup Dragon
22-12-2009, 14:51
Hey mate..

Have a look at this..

http://www.theredlionbirmingham.com/index.html

There you go - you get the idea of the decor - i just got RL and Clifden wrong way round!:muppet:

hopwas
22-12-2009, 14:54
There you go - you get the idea of the decor - i just got RL and Clifden wrong way round!:muppet:

:rolleyes:

I can see Cow Skin stool on picture.. blimey big change from old Red Lion! I am glad they kept famous mirror in back room.