PDA

View Full Version : New 'craft beer' pub to open in London

Pubsignman
12-04-2011, 14:24
If you've read the latest issue of London Drinker, you may have already seen the advert for this place, which says they will be ’bringing the finest cask ales and exclusive imported beers from around the world to Clerkenwell’

http://thecraftbeerco.com/

I believe this is a new venture from the owners of the Cask Pub and Kitchen. One to keep an eye on.

Pubsignman
24-05-2011, 14:09
A few more details have emerged about this place. It is going to be located in this former Greene King pub: The Clock House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/) which is situated roughly halfway between the Gunmakers and Ye Olde Mitre.

They will have 16 cask and 21 keg beers on, including lots of brews made especially for the pub. There will be a bottled range in excess of 300 different bottled beers.

On opening night, which is rumoured to be some time next month, they are hoping to have 36 new, never before seen in Britain, beers on.

aleandhearty
24-05-2011, 15:03
A few more details have emerged about this place. It is going to be located in this former Greene King pub: The Clock House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/)...On opening night, which is rumoured to be some time next month, they are hoping to have 36 new, never before seen in Britain, beers on.

Sounds like the perfect night to visit The Harp. :D

Bucking Fastard
24-05-2011, 15:26
Sounds like great news.Together with the BrewDog opening,looks like exciting times ahead.Im getting thirsty already:)

PaulOfHorsham
12-06-2011, 09:51
Opening night now confirmed as Wednesday 29th June. Has anybody here followed the link for an opening night invite??

Spinko
12-06-2011, 16:44
It's a clear sign that good pubs are following the market. Boring bars are closing left, right and centre, and that's good. Creative destruction. Good pubs are opening up and serving a combination of excellent cask-conditioned ales and interesting keg brews that a few years ago would not be popular. I thnk we are in a golden age of beer-drinking.

Al 10000
12-06-2011, 17:28
It's a clear sign that good pubs are following the market. Boring bars are closing left, right and centre, and that's good. Creative destruction. Good pubs are opening up and serving a combination of excellent cask-conditioned ales and interesting keg brews that a few years ago would not be popular. I thnk we are in a golden age of beer-drinking.

When i visited this pub it was a Greene King tied house and had their wonderfull IPA on the bar what a sad loss that i car'nt drink IPA or Abbot in this pub again.

This was a proper market pub with market traders and down to earth people drinking in it, no doubt the pub will now be full of beer tickers and similar people who visit these types of pubs.

A sad loss of a proper pub in my opinion.

PaulOfHorsham
12-06-2011, 22:10
no doubt the pub will now be full of beer tickers and similar people who visit these types of pubs

Some of whom visit these very pages from time to time...:eek:

Bucking Fastard
13-06-2011, 13:37
Opening night now confirmed as Wednesday 29th June. Has anybody here followed the link for an opening night invite??

I followed the link but no invite so far,maybe I've been sussed as a beer ticker;)

Thanks for the opening date,I will certainly be popping in over the next few months.If this turns out to be as good as their other pub ,The CASK in Pimlico, this sould be a winner.

Pubsignman
13-06-2011, 14:16
If it's anything like the Cask, it will take a few months to find it's feet, so I'm in no real rush to visit yet.

Spinko
13-06-2011, 14:47
What is a beer ticker?

Quinno
13-06-2011, 14:54
What is a beer ticker?

People who list beers they've drunk. In a book or PDA.

Some take it to extremes - hunting down that next, elusive tick.

A bit like any form of number collecting (train spotting etc).

Also called Scoopers.

Spinko
13-06-2011, 15:16
People who list beers they've drunk. In a book or PDA.

Some take it to extremes - hunting down that next, elusive tick.

A bit like any form of number collecting (train spotting etc).

Also called Scoopers.

Well I would ask what is the point, but I think you'd agree with me :)

Memorable beers are remembered, unmemorable beers should be forgotten.

Quinno
13-06-2011, 15:52
Well I would ask what is the point, but I think you'd agree with me :)

Memorable beers are remembered, unmemorable beers should be forgotten.

You obviously didn't collect football stickers when you were a kid

Spinko
13-06-2011, 16:04
You obviously didn't collect football stickers when you were a kid

I'd like to think I left childish fascinations behind ;)

RogerB
22-06-2011, 09:34
Has anyone managed to get an invite for this - I can't get the link to open to find out whether I can still get one.

Alesonly
22-06-2011, 11:05
Has anyone managed to get an invite for this - I can't get the link to open to find out whether I can still get one.
I managed too get the link open. When I clicked on it it opened automatically in windows live Mail I sent a mail just about 5 minuets ago I will tell you If I get a reply .:D

RogerB
22-06-2011, 11:31
It's Ok - my mate knows the guv'ner and has confirmed that it is open invite to the public so if anyone is planning to go there shouldn't be any issues re entry. He has also mentioned that there will be 37 beers available. I will be going if anyone wants to join me.

PaulOfHorsham
22-06-2011, 21:47
Very tempted, I have to say. Not for a full sesh, but it'd be good to see what it's all about.

Their Twitter page confirms that 'all are invited'.

About time they updated that webpage, mind you.

Bucking Fastard
23-06-2011, 08:48
Can't make the opening sadly:( ,but will try and get over there in the next month.

PaulOfHorsham
28-06-2011, 22:18
Probably going to have to give this a miss after all. Enjoy yourself Roger, if you get there. I'm sure that it will be pretty busy on opening night (and possibly a little chaotic too). I may pop in on Saturday, if I can drag myself up to London on the weekend.

RogerB
30-06-2011, 08:28
576 577

As expected the place was packed to the rafters with a 10/15 minute queue to get served when I initially arrived but it did ease up a bit later. 16 hand pumps and 21 craft kegs should keep most people happy but the place was smaller than I expected and a bit plain apart from the impressive mirror clock ceiling.

trainman
30-06-2011, 08:37
Well, the tariff shot makes the Cask one-price look good value after all!
I like the first picture in batch2 of the idiot fourth from the bar with his hand in the air, presumably for service! Don't staff just love that?

hondo
30-06-2011, 08:42
excellent work rogerb

gillhalfpint
08-07-2011, 09:24
I fancy a trip to London in September (gives me time to save a bit of cash!)to visit this pub and the Brew Wharf that I have never done yet, and went to look the Craft Beer Co up on site to get a gist of what people felt about it, but only 1 review from a visit in 2008 when it was called something else. Plenty of photos - over 30.

Pub does look popular from the pictures, and looks as though the choice range is excellent, so will go and make my own mind up, but that is what I do anyway.

Will get my old crawl list from a few years back and plot a new crawl to include the new pubs on the scene. Didn't make the Southampton Arms last time either, so going to have fun planning what should be an exciting day.

RogerB
08-07-2011, 11:01
Pub does look popular from the pictures, and looks as though the choice range is excellent, so will go and make my own mind up, but that is what I do anyway.

Remember that they were taken on opening night! I'm sure it will be a popular place but i doubt it will be THAT busy again iunless they offer free beer. Stonch's Gunmakers pub is a couple of hundred yards away asw ell and is worth a look. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23325/

hondo
15-08-2011, 09:42
“I always viewed Craft Beer Co as a true brand and one that could be rolled out across the country."

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/91414

gillhalfpint
15-08-2011, 10:22
Interesting concept. Will be great to see how far it goes. Still want to give it a go though.

Our London trip is more or less sorted for 2 Sept now. Will likely do in groups and use the tube though understand underground by Bank has weekend disruptions.

We get to Euston around 11.15 and plan to do the pubs as follows.

Pineapple
Junction Tavern
Southampton Arms

Rake
Brew Wharf
Market Porter
Wheatsheaf

King Charles I

Craft Beer Co

Old Fountain
Wenlock Arms

Cask Pub & Kitchen

Bree Louise
Euston Tap

Last dependent on time but we have been to last 2 this year so won't matter if we have to miss them this time round.

trainman
15-08-2011, 13:17
I don't know whether that is the order you planned for those 'groups' of pubs Gill, but you could probably save some travel time.
If the Junction was the last of group 1, then you could take Northern line from Tufnell Pk, south to Old Street for Fountain/Wenlock (the latter a little walk).
Back to Old St & continue south on Northen line (or bus from City Road, sth of Wenlock) to London Bridge for Market Porter group.
From there it may be marginally quickest to again take Northern line sth (beyond your target) to Stockwell & changing for Vic line back North to Pimlico for Cask.
Back to Pimlico for Victoria line up to Kings Cross for Charles I (not worth it my mind, but knowledgeable folk here like it), then a bus along Euston Rd to Euston for Tap & Bree Louise.

This circular route does not include Craft Beer Co., but from King Charles you could take 17 bus from top of Kings Cross Rd & get off at Grays Inn Rd/Portpool La, then back to Euston from there.

Have a great day Gill, & we look forward to tales of derring-do in due course. :)

gillhalfpint
15-08-2011, 14:30
Many thanks for the route. I have printed it off to take as local logic will beat my underground plotting any day.

I have been told that Brodies birthday fest is on while we are there at William IV but the purpose of going down on this trip was to get round a few of the pubs new to us as well as get round some old favourites, so I don't think the timescale will allow for a trip out to Wiilliam IV.

Will certainly be reporting back, whatever happens on the day.

PaulOfHorsham
15-08-2011, 20:41
Brodies has a Central London pub in The Old Coffee House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22327/) so they may well have a few of the specials on offer. Close-ish to Oxford Circus or Piccadilly Circus, so can't really be conveniently added to any of your groups, unfortunately. Brodies is a regular at The Old Fountain, however, so you may strike lucky there, but this is a pub that is usually closed on weekends, so bear that in mind.

Enjoy your trip - I'll be at Craft next Thursday and am thoroughly looking forward to it (although I'm a little concerned at the likely bank balance hit!).
:glass:

trainman
08-12-2011, 12:09
Cask Pub & Kitchen, Pimlico, used to justify a £3.45 price tag by saying that all cask beers (barring something over, say, 7%) were at least the same price.
I visited on tuesday to find that they have now adopted the same pricing policy as the new(-ish) sister pub, Craft beer Co, and now charge according to abv, rising sharply from £3.45 (<3.9%) to £3.70 (<4.9%), £3.90 (<5.9%), £4.60 (<6.9%) & up to £6 (>8%).

My Magic High Wire (5.3%) was lovely, but £3.90, ouch!

PaulOfHorsham
08-12-2011, 19:12
Cask Pub & Kitchen, Pimlico, used to justify a £3.45 price tag by saying that all cask beers (barring something over, say, 7%) were at least the same price.
I visited on tuesday to find that they have now adopted the same pricing policy as the new(-ish) sister pub, Craft beer Co, and now charge according to abv, rising sharply from £3.45 (<3.9%) to £3.70 (<4.9%), £3.90 (<5.9%), £4.60 (<6.9%) & up to £6 (>8%).

My Magic High Wire (5.3%) was lovely, but £3.90, ouch!

Been like that for a few weeks now. I popped in on Tuesday to sample some of the Magic Rock ales after the previous night's 'Meet the Brewer' event. So, while I knew I'd have to pay a premium, Rock Star (7%), while good and very American in style (as advertised), at £5.20 was still somewhat mind-numbing (not too say wallet-emptying). I'll probably have to reserve Cask & Craft for special events only in future.

I think I need to research a few more Central London pubs sourcing interesting micros at reasonable prices. I know about the Harp (and I wish there was more room), but where else can I try?

trainman
09-12-2011, 06:55
I think I need to research a few more Central London pubs sourcing interesting micros at reasonable prices. I know about the Harp (and I wish there was more room), but where else can I try?
'Central London', and 'reasonable prices', hardly fit in the same sentence Paul, although the Harp is holding out at a mere £3.30, compared to many neighbours (Coal Hole etc) charging ~£3.60/£3.70.
Next time you do try the Harp, the Edgar Wallace and the Castle (Furnival St) are walkable options with good choices, but heavy prices (see Coal Hole above). From the Castle it'd be rude not to fit one in at the Mitre (Ye Olde...), and, now you're so near Leather Lane, brace yourself for Craft... or carry on up toward Old Street for the Old Fountain. Southampton Arms would be worth a visit if you've not been, but we're hardly central here...
I'm currently based on Strand so, if you're doing those nearby, give us a shout!

rpadam
09-12-2011, 09:27
Strangely, given all the wealthy *ankers and their large bonu$e$, beer prices in proper City of London pubs (as opposed to trrendy bars) tend to be rather cheaper than most of the rest of 'Central London'...

PaulOfHorsham
09-12-2011, 19:14
'Central London', and 'reasonable prices', hardly fit in the same sentence Paul, although the Harp is holding out at a mere £3.30, compared to many neighbours (Coal Hole etc) charging ~£3.60/£3.70.
Well, it's all relative of course and Surrey & Sussex also have a fair few opportunities to spend £3.50 - £3.60 a pint these days. I'm resigned to spending that kind of cash.

Next time you do try the Harp, the Edgar Wallace and the Castle (Furnival St) are walkable options with good choices, but heavy prices
Tried the Coal Hole (not bad, a good Nicholson's selection) and the Edgar Wallace (bit small and likely to be rammed in the winter I suspect) but never encountered the Castle (but it's on the list now).

From the Castle it'd be rude not to fit one in at the Mitre (Ye Olde...), and, now you're so near Leather Lane, brace yourself for Craft... or carry on up toward Old Street for the Old Fountain. Southampton Arms would be worth a visit if you've not been, but we're hardly central here...
Tried most of these and the Southampton Arms is certainly serving my kind of beer but not, as you say, that close to the centre.

I'm currently based on Strand so, if you're doing those nearby, give us a shout!
And I'm in Westminster, so I may do that :cheers:. Best options this way are The Speaker, but this only offers two guests (yeah, I know, I know!) and the Marquis of Granby would be so much better with a few more bar staff.

Old Blue
10-12-2011, 10:04
And I'm in Westminster, so I may do that :cheers:.

I'm mainly working in Fleet Street and Westminster at the moment, so have been doing most of the pubs you mention - I'd be keen to meet up with you guys for a few beers sometime as well.

PaulOfHorsham
11-12-2011, 14:38
I'd be keen to meet up with you guys for a few beers sometime as well.

I can't see that being a problem....

rpadam
11-12-2011, 14:49
I can't see that being a problem....
Me neither!