PDA

View Full Version : Pub with accommodation, easily reachable by train from London

Kake
07-04-2011, 14:33
Can anyone recommend a good pub for a weekend break, with accommodation, interesting real ale, and decent (needn't be fancy) food? It needs to be easily reachable by train from London (closer to London is probably better — we won't be able to get the train tickets a long way in advance and don't want to pay silly money).

Edit: Ah, apparently we are more organised than I thought — we're going to Winchester and staying at the Wykeham Arms! So my question now becomes, if you had a weekend in Winchester, which pubs would you not miss? I don't want to do an exhaustive crawl, so maybe your top two or three?

Quinno
07-04-2011, 16:25
Black Boy
Wykeham Arms
Hyde Tavern

:)

Kake
07-04-2011, 17:43
Thanks Quinno! Will report back.

Andy Ven
07-04-2011, 20:54
I've not been in the Black Boy but I would second the other two that Quinno recommends. Good pubs!

RogerB
07-04-2011, 22:33
I went through Winchester last week on the way to Bournemouth and was surprised how quickly you can get there from London so I will be interested to see what this thread throws up. Could be a day out in the summer.

Blackthorn
07-04-2011, 23:05
Yep, definitely The Black Boy that stands out as a "must do".

trainman
08-04-2011, 00:07
Black Boy, Hyde, & I quited liked a brief visit to St James' Tavern.

If you have time on the de-brief, Cheriton's Flowerpots & Hinton Arms have long been on my (unvisited) list. Bus~30mins?

Quinno
08-04-2011, 00:59
Black Boy, Hyde, & I quited liked a brief visit to St James' Tavern.

Yeah it's a tidy pub but it's Wadworth beer <farts loudly due to sulphur build up :whistle:>.

Wittenden
08-04-2011, 09:17
Yeah it's a tidy pub but it's Wadworth beer <farts loudly due to sulphur build up :whistle:>.

Blimey! Wadworths 6X was my epiphany beer back in I should think 1971 0r 72.Previously beer was falling down jiuce,now it became a passion and obsession, and has remained so ever since. Must say, I never see Wadworths round here, so can't really comment on the sulphurous flatuence front!

Kake
11-04-2011, 10:50
So we went last weekend and Quinno's recommendations were absolutely spot on — thanks again! We also visited the Old Vine and the Bishop on the Bridge, which were fine for what we wanted at the time (a quick pint on our way from the station to check in at the Wykeham, and a sit in the sun after lunch at the Chesil Rectory, respectively). Will check to see if I can add anything to the PuG pages once I've caught up with other stuff... I did take some notes and photos but not obsessively, since TBH I wanted a weekend off from all that :)

RogerB
11-04-2011, 11:07
I've pieced together a 12 pub list - Old Gaol House (for brekky + pint), Hyde, Roebuck, Fulflood, St James, Westgate, Wykeham, Black Boy, Bishop on the Bridge, Eclipse, Royal Oak and possibly the Albion (for the missed train emergency pint). Just need time, money and a crew and that's a sunny summers day sorted.

Grailhunter
11-04-2011, 12:37
I'm going to Weymouth for a few days in a couple of weeks time and have to change trains in Winchester. Apparently I've got 9 minutes there. Not sure that's going to be long enough !

RogerB
11-04-2011, 12:54
I'm going to Weymouth for a few days in a couple of weeks time and have to change trains in Winchester. Apparently I've got 9 minutes there. Not sure that's going to be long enough !

It's about a minute to dash to the Albion. 2 minutes to order and finish a pint. A 2 minute dash to the Raiway Inn. Another couple of minutes to get served and polish off a second pint before a minute's stagger back to the station with a minute to spare before the train arrives. Simples.

Pubsignman
11-04-2011, 13:15
I've been trying to sort out a Winchester trip this year. My plan was to arrive in Winchester fairly early and get a bus straight out to Cheriton, as Trainman suggests, to do the Flowerpots and Hinton Arms, before heading back into town for Black Boy, Hyde Tavern, Old Vine, Royal Oak, Wykeham Arms and maybe one or two others.
Just need to find the right day to put the plan into action.

RogerB
11-04-2011, 13:31
I've been trying to sort out a Winchester trip this year. My plan was to arrive in Winchester fairly early and get a bus straight out to Cheriton, as Trainman suggests, to do the Flowerpots and Hinton Arms, before heading back into town for Black Boy, Hyde Tavern, Old Vine, Royal Oak, Wykeham Arms and maybe one or two others.
Just need to find the right day to put the plan into action.

I detect a mini meet up in the making!

Pubsignman
11-04-2011, 15:21

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quinno
11-04-2011, 16:09

Not far from me...

Bucking Fastard
12-04-2011, 11:26

Sounds good to me too

trainman
12-04-2011, 17:20
Winchester is another destination (from London, or Reading) where groupsave can get you 4-for-2.

Maldenman
12-04-2011, 17:33
If you do find yourself in The Albion take the time to look along the bar behind the pillar as there were two unlikely suspects hiding there on stillage on my visit that I didn't spot until I'd already ordered. Certainly not a must-do pub though.

Farway
13-04-2011, 15:05

Yep, I could probably make it, note the Flowerpots shuts in afternoon so timing would be critical

RogerB
13-04-2011, 15:18
It looks like quite a few are interested! Does somebody want to chuck a few possible dates into the hat so we can get booked up! Might be best to start a fresh thread in the meet ups bit.

trainman
13-04-2011, 15:26
note the Flowerpots shuts in afternoon so timing would be critical
Good point! I can never understand that policy, these days, being applied to the weekend.

Farway
13-04-2011, 15:40
Good point! I can never understand that policy, these days, being applied to the weekend.

I think in the case of the Flowerpots, it is in such a rural location, absolutely no passing trade, and I guess very infrequent buses, if at all, plus the drink drive law, there would be little profit in staying open and paying staff

The, not so nearby as it may seem from map, Hinton Arms is somewhat different as it is on an A road, next to a National Trust property, and is more foodie than Flowerpots

It would be a long walk from Hinton Arms to the Flowerpots, and no pavements either, so you could literally be wiped out on a narrow & winding country road with no where to jump, except into the river

trainman
13-04-2011, 22:32
0.8m, and google satellite suggests a slightly shorter off-road route should be accessible. I'll check the buses (New Alresford route) but think I'd be happy with a cross-country wander in at least one direction (usually downhill).

RogerB
14-04-2011, 12:06
Looking at my calendar, I will chuck a few dates out for people to juggle with for a possible Winchester meet up...

Saturdays - not too many spare for me - 28 May is OK now that I won't be going to the Champions League Final! :mad:. 18 June is also OK at the moment.

Sundays - Most people are probably not too keen to go full day drinking on a Sunday but 29 May would be OK given that there is a Bank Holiday on the Monday.

If anyone would prefer a Friday (as we did for Brum) I am happy to take a day off if necessary in which case any Friday should be OK apart from 6 May and 17 June.

Quinno
14-04-2011, 14:28
Saturdays not too many spare for me - 28 May is OK now that I won't be going to the Champions League Final! :mad:. 18 June is also OK at the moment.
Sundays - Most people are probably not too keen to go full day drinking on a Sunday but 29 May would be OK given that there is a Bank Holiday on the Monday.

If anyone would prefer a Friday (as we did for Brum) I am happy to take a day off if necessary in which case any Friday should be OK apart from 6 May and 17 June.

Sats - 28 and 18 both currently open
Sun - 29 OK

Can be flexible with Fridays...

Farway
14-04-2011, 15:20
If it is intended to visit Flowerpots / Hinton Arms then it should be a Friday, rural buses in Hampshire are often few & far between at the best of times, on weekends even less, and some routes just do not run on Sundays, so it is impossible to get to Southwick for example, with it's two excellent pubs, via public transport on a Sunday

Many rural routes are subsidised by Hampshire Council, and in tight times they have vanished

Pubsignman
14-04-2011, 15:28
Sats - 28 and 18 both currently open
Sun - 29 OK

Can be flexible with Fridays...

Ditto...although the 28th-29th May would become out of the question in the highly unlikely event that Bournemouth turn around their dismal end of season form and make it to the Play-off final.

ROBCamra
14-04-2011, 15:46
Ditto...although the 28th-29th May would become out of the question in the highly unlikely event that Bournemouth turn around their dismal end of season form and make it to the Play-off final.

No chance, not when you play The Mighty Dale as the last match of the season. :D

trainman
14-04-2011, 16:18
Flowerpots / Hinton Arms...rural buses in Hampshire are often few & far between

67 seems to run hourly between Winchester & Cheriton (takes 23mins), passing by both pubs so the wander between the 2 would only be needed in one direction before catching bus back to town. As Farway suggested, doesn't run Sundays.

Circs (funds) permitting, 28May, any Sat in June, or a poss friday advised in advance should be possible for me.

rpadam
14-04-2011, 20:44
A Friday is likely to be best for me...

PaulOfHorsham
17-04-2011, 23:01
A bit late in, but this does sound an interesting trip. It won't surprise you all to hear that I can usually arrange excursions at short notice.

Now, I think I can probably set some sort of alert on this thread, can't I?

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2011, 10:30
Apologies for slow reply to this thread,been away navigating.

It seems among the Saturday dates there is some convergence on June 18th which would be fine with me.The other popular Saturday seems to be May 28th ,but this wouldn't work for me,but it if suits for a number of others so be it.

On the Friday dates I could make May 6th,June 3rd,10th and 17th

RogerB
18-04-2011, 10:49
Fridays seem to be OK for most of us - of BF's dates 3rd and 10th June are fine for me. I think Quinno's Worcester session is the 11 June so the 3rd for Winchester seems to be the most convenient date.

Farway
18-04-2011, 15:35
Featured on The Hotel Inspector on Channel 5, series 7 on 18 April 2011 at 2100

"17th-century pub and B&B in Winchester that has been plagued by poor reviews – with one disgruntled guest even suggesting it might be the ‘worst hotel in the UK’.

The Hotel Inspector uncovers a cleaning regime that leaves much to be desired and, after a run-in with a shower room that has a life of its own, she checks out, leaving the First In Last Out with the distinction of being the first establishment she has ever refused to sleep in"

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-hotel-inspector/episodes/episode-1-319

Never been there so cannot possibly comment, but I shall be watching

Pubsignman
18-04-2011, 16:29
Fridays seem to be OK for most of us - of BF's dates 3rd and 10th June are fine for me. I think Quinno's Worcester session is the 11 June so the 3rd for Winchester seems to be the most convenient date.

Annoyingly I booked a weeks holiday over the weekend, as the other half wanted to go away during the half-term break, so I'm now unavailable from 30th May - 5th June.

The 17th June still looks like an option, but if everyone else prefers the 3rd June I'll have to miss out and console myself with the Spanish sunshine instead!

RogerB
19-04-2011, 10:21
17th June is the only Friday I can't do! Going to see Half Man Half Biscuit that night. I have every Friday from 13 May to 8 July available except 17 June!

Bucking Fastard
19-04-2011, 14:16
17th June is the only Friday I can't do! Going to see Half Man Half Biscuit that night. I have every Friday from 13 May to 8 July available except 17 June!

If we are now looking at Fridays in July ,I could do 1st and 22nd ,if thats any help

RogerB
19-04-2011, 15:03
1st July good for me if we can wait that long. Not the 22nd though - our annual Whitstable Oyster Festival crawl is the next day and 2 solid days on the sauce is pushing it even by my standards!