PDA

View Full Version : Worcester Sat June 11th

Quinno
05-04-2011, 16:43
I'm organising a shindig from Reading to Worcester in the summer for a day of fun.

The Plough and Little Dragon sound like definites - any other suggestions welcome!

Anyone who fancies turning up on the day, drop me a PM in advance. All welcome. There'll be around half a dozen of us.

ROBCamra
05-04-2011, 17:19
I'm organising a shindig from Reading to Worcester in the summer for a day of fun.

The Plough and Little Dragon sound like definites - any other suggestions welcome!

Anyone who fancies turning up on the day, drop me a PM in advance. All welcome. There'll be around half a dozen of us.

I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by some of the pubs in Worcester for a city of it's size.

The Plough is absolutely excellent. The Dragon is pretty good as well.

To those I'd add Swan With Two Nicks & Olde Talbot.

The Postal Order is a reasonable JDW and is very handy for the station.

I would also try The Kings Head, especially if it's sunny as it has a canalside patio, although it's no longer a traditional pub. If you like quirky, just across the road is the Hand In Glove. Modern bar but with well kept ale. :cheers:

aleandhearty
05-04-2011, 17:50

My last visit to Worcester was a bit of a disaster on the pub front, as an anticipated six days on my own, to explore, was unexpectedly chopped to two. I took loads of photos whilst the forecast was good, but never got the chance to follow them up with visits. :(

Casting self pity aside, both The Plough and The Dragon are givens. The Firefly on Lowesmoor was on my 'to do' list - GBG entry. Also, The Paul Pry has re-opened, selling cask ale and is supposed to have a fantastic interior. Nearby, The Angel also has several cask beers including Wye Valley HPA. The Cricketers has dipped in and out of the GBG over the years and I enjoyed the interior. However it's reported to have changed hands recently. Had four pumps when I called, quality OK.

Doubt that I'll make it, unless by some fluke, but enjoy.

RogerB
05-04-2011, 19:09
Never been there but the day is free at the moment and it is certainly do-able. Will put some thoughts to it and let you know.

Oggwyn Trench
05-04-2011, 19:34
This place is pretty good http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42536/ 5 ales on 3 from Marstons/Banks and 2 local brews , not much to look at from the front but the back overlooks the river and racecourse and over to the Cathederal although it may be a bit far out on a day trip .

I may be able to make it £14 on the train but nearly 2 hours travelling each way :(

RogerB
05-04-2011, 19:42
may be able to make it £14 on the train but nearly 2 hours travelling each way :(

Only 2! Nearly 4 hours each way from the Garden of England!

Quinno
05-04-2011, 20:07

Yeah I'm lucky to have a train that goes from Reading to Worcester via Oxford. Otherwise it wouldn't be tenable!

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, I will add them to the longlist and whittle it down this evening.

trainman
05-04-2011, 22:21
Any considering travelling from Londinium, and I wouldn't rule myself out, should take note of groupsave opportunities on the direct train from Paddington (2hrs27), making it £18.50 instead of £37pp on a 4-for-2 basis.
Nearer the day, it might not be impossible to get a good deal to Brum (as was available for the PG trip there) then a £3.80(!)pp groupsave onward journey (41 mins from New St)...
Only a couple of pubs I have on the mission list there, mentioned above, but seem stellar targets.

Oggwyn Trench
06-04-2011, 17:35

The daft thing is , its less than an hour by car from up here

Millay
09-04-2011, 06:58
For an interesting diversion I'd suggest a visit to the Cardinal's Hat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42409/). It's fairly close to the Plough but on the other side of the High Street, near the Olde Talbot that ROBCamra mentioned. Quirky little place, an Austrian bar selling continental beers. Nice cosy interior but perhaps not one to do mob handed when everyone has had loads of beer. Enjoy the day.

Quinno
09-04-2011, 12:19
GBG Lists:

-BELL (WR2)
-BRIDGES (WR3)
-DRAGON INN
-FIREFLY
-PLOUGH
-POSTAL ORDER

Throwing in the Cardinals Hat, Swan With Two Nicks, Olde Talbot, Hand In Glove, Paul Pry, Angel, Cricketers and Wheatsheaf and there's quite a day to be had!

Have you all been commissioned by the secret service to assassinate my liver? :ninja:

RogerB
09-04-2011, 12:49
[QUOTE=Quinno;30711]...there's quite a day to be had!QUOTE]
..or 2. If there is enough to warrant it I haven't ruled up going up earlier and making 2 or 3 days of it, chucking a couple of other towns into the heap.

Oggwyn Trench
09-04-2011, 13:11
..or 2. If there is enough to warrant it I haven't ruled up going up earlier and making 2 or 3 days of it, chucking a couple of other towns into the heap.

Theres some great pubs just down the road in Malvern and Ledbury , though Malvern is a bit spread out or you could pay a visit to our old mate Arkwrite about 12 miles away in Bromyard

Oggwyn Trench
09-04-2011, 13:29
GBG Lists:

-BELL (WR2)
-BRIDGES (WR3)
-DRAGON INN
-FIREFLY
-PLOUGH
-POSTAL ORDER

Throwing in the Cardinals Hat, Swan With Two Nicks, Olde Talbot, Hand In Glove, Paul Pry, Angel, Cricketers and Wheatsheaf and there's quite a day to be had!

Have you all been commissioned by the secret service to assassinate my liver? :ninja:

There are a few pubs advertising cask ales around Worcester at the moment , the Old Rectifying House looks interesting , upstairs bar overlooking the river , the Talbot has all cask ales at £2.05 a pint and Air is a wine bar type place that has had a bit of coverage from the local CAMRA group . There are loads of nice looking pubs but wether they are any good on the inside is another thing

aleandhearty
09-04-2011, 18:44
GBG Lists:

-BELL (WR2)
-BRIDGES (WR3)
-DRAGON INN
-FIREFLY
-PLOUGH
-POSTAL ORDER

That's quite a list there Quinno! Be aware that The Bell and The Wheatsheaf are both west of the Severn and about 15-20 mins out of town if doing it on foot, although probably only 10 mins from each other. A possible wild card in St Johns, between the two, is The Bush Inn, which I've heard some good things about.

Bridges is a bit of a weird one. It describes itself on its website as a 'bar, carvery and entertainment venue'. It's a couple of miles to the north east of the centre. Because of its 'grey' status I never suggested it for PuG and it isn't in fact currently listed.

Delboy20
09-04-2011, 19:07
I went in the Cardinals Hat last year and found it to be an unusual pub - but don't expect much change in there. They seemed to be after the tourist dollar !!

The Eagle Vaults has a great look to it but I don't recall if there was much of a beer choice for you real alers.

The Swan with 2 Nicks is worth a visit.

Delboy20
09-04-2011, 19:10

Hereford isn't far and is worth a visit. I had a great day out there a couple of years back.

Quinno
09-04-2011, 21:57
[QUOTE=RogerB;30721]

Hereford isn't far and is worth a visit. I had a great day out there a couple of years back.

Done two years back - spent most of the day ion the Barrels (Wye Valley tap). Ventured over to Victory (Spinning Dog tap) and it was pants - beer and service. Pub was alright though.

gillhalfpint
10-04-2011, 11:13
I like to go to the Dragon and Swan with 2 nicks. The swan is worth having a wander round upstairs too. One of the pubs on the other side of the river still has a room with hatch and bells on the walls for service if I remember rightly.

Hereford Barrels is always good, and I agree that Spinning Dog beers are not very good any more. Don't know why, but if I go in, I nearly always have to have a beer changed. Once when a group of us went in and kept returning beers, they brought a lot of their bottled beers out for us. Bar is worth a few photos though.

Blackthorn
17-05-2011, 14:09
So who's planning on making the trip to Worcester then? Mrs. Blackthorn would like to know -

1) Are any other ladies going?
2) Is she allowed to drink lager? :)

RogerB
17-05-2011, 14:40
I would like to but it's too much of a trek for a single day trip for me + I have an all day festival to go to the next day so I probably wouldn't survive doing both!

Quinno
17-05-2011, 16:38
So who's planning on making the trip to Worcester then? Mrs. Blackthorn would like to know -

1) Are any other ladies going?
2) Is she allowed to drink lager? :)

1) Currently one lady
2) If she likes! I'm not fussy what people drink on my jaunts, so long as I dictate the pubs we drink in :)

This has served as a useful reminder to get the final details sorted, watch this space...

Soup Dragon
18-05-2011, 16:52
Hi Quinno, I may be up for this depending on work - as i have to do some Saturdays. Will keep you posted - it isnt too far for me to get to Worcester

Oggwyn Trench
18-05-2011, 18:15
I should be able to make it , all depends on friday nights football , if Shrewsbury can overturn last weeks 2-0 by beating Torquay for the first time in 18 years :pray:, then a day on the beer in Manchester (play off final is at Old Trafford) beckons and i cant afford to do both :moremad:

RogerB
19-05-2011, 10:28
I should be able to make it , all depends on friday nights football , if Shrewsbury can overturn last weeks 2-0 by beating Torquay for the first time in 18 years :pray:, then a day on the beer in Manchester (play off final is at Old Trafford) beckons and i cant afford to do both :moremad:

You'll be going to Worcester then!

Quinno
19-05-2011, 11:51
After a bit of research, here's our route:

0 POSTAL ORDER Foregate Street WR1 1DB
1 FIREFLY 54 Lowesmoor WR1 2SE
2 DRAGON INN The Tything WR1 1JT
2a Paul Pry 6 The Butts WR1 3PA
3 BELL 35 St. Johns WR2 5AG
3a Berkley Arms School Rd WR2 4HF
4 Bush Inn 4 Bull Ring WR2 5AD
5 PLOUGH 23 Fish Street WR1 2HN
5a Cardinals Hat 33 Friar Street WR1 2NA
6 Swan With Two Nicks 28 New Street WR1 2DP
7 POSTAL ORDER Foregate Street WR1 1DB

The 'a' ones are wildcards - Paul Pry being closed (I think), Berkley Arms being GBG 2010 and the Cardinals Hat selling fizzy foreign offerings.

I hope to arrive at 10:48 so the Postal Order gets the breakfast vote! I'll be leaving at 20:02 from Foregate St.

Map here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215546218996797808436.0004a392199837c853375)

So far I have Blackthorn (+1) Soup and Oggy as 'probables'! I'll PM all with my mobile. Any other takers? With my Reading mob there should be around 10 of us in total if most peeps show up.

Oggwyn Trench
19-05-2011, 19:13
You'll be going to Worcester then!

Cruel but true:D

Worcester will probally be more fun and a lot cheaper:)

Oggwyn Trench
19-05-2011, 19:19

The 'a' ones are wildcards - Paul Pry being closed (I think), Berkley Arms being GBG 2010 and the Cardinals Hat selling fizzy foreign offerings.

I hope to arrive at 10:48 so the Postal Order gets the breakfast vote! I'll be leaving at 20:02 from Foregate St.

Map here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215546218996797808436.0004a392199837c853375)

So far I have Blackthorn (+1) Soup and Oggy as 'probables'! I'll PM all with my mobile. Any other takers? With my Reading mob there should be around 10 of us in total if most peeps show up.

I know where all of them are , i drove past most of them today

Quinno
19-05-2011, 21:25
I know where all of them are , i drove past most of them today

Good, I shall get plastered and let you lead the group instead :drinkup::nishelypished::D

Soup Dragon
20-05-2011, 15:18

You do realise Oggy that my second team is Torquay Utd!

Oggwyn Trench
20-05-2011, 17:54
You do realise Oggy that my second team is Torquay Utd!

My second team is Shrewsbury reserves:D

Assuming we both make it to Worcester , winner buys the first round :D:drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
20-05-2011, 22:08

Worcester it is then:mad::D:D:drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
23-05-2011, 19:33

Had a nose round today , Paul Pry is open and Berkley Arms is a Bankss Pub , 99% certain i can make it:drinkup:

Quinno
24-05-2011, 18:10
Had a nose round today , Paul Pry is open and Berkley Arms is a Bankss Pub , 99% certain i can make it:drinkup:

Excellent research! The Paul Pry is an odd one because the local CAMRA branch said it was closed when I email them a few weeks back! Hmmm. Look forward to catching up with you again Oggy!

Sadly, our token lady has cried off so it looks like it'll be a blokes-only trip unless Mrs Blackthorn can be persuaded?

Oggwyn Trench
24-05-2011, 18:50
I drove past the Paul Pry about 12.30 yesterday , the front door was open , lights on and an old bloke was drinking a pint , i think you can assume it was open , if Worcester CAMRA are anything like our local branch they probally dont even know where it is :rolleyes:

aleandhearty
24-05-2011, 19:40
I drove past the Paul Pry about 12.30 yesterday , the front door was open , lights on and an old bloke was drinking a pint , i think you can assume it was open , if Worcester CAMRA are anything like our local branch they probally dont even know where it is :rolleyes:

Excellent research! The Paul Pry is an odd one because the local CAMRA branch said it was closed when I email them a few weeks back!

Gordon Bennett. I changed the PuG status of the Paul Pry to being open again back in November when I took the photos. You'd think the local drinkers bush telegraph would have got a message through to CAMRA in six months!

Blackthorn
25-05-2011, 14:26
Sadly, our token lady has cried off so it looks like it'll be a blokes-only trip unless Mrs Blackthorn can be persuaded?

I might have to give it a miss in that case :(

Mrs. B wont want to come if she's the only lady present, and I've been working away quite a bit so it's probably a bit unfair if I waltz off to Worcester as soon as I get back!

Sorry about that, let me know if anything changes.

oldboots
25-05-2011, 19:18
Gordon Bennett. I changed the PuG status of the Paul Pry to being open again back in November when I took the photos. You'd think the local drinkers bush telegraph would have got a message through to CAMRA in six months!

It may be that the Worcester branch is a bit like our local one, anything active is done by five old blokes, three of whom don't get out much.

Oggwyn Trench
06-06-2011, 21:01
Should arrive in Worcester at 11.30 , may be earlier/later all depends on childcare , lift to station or getting lost at New Street Station :confused:

Quinno
09-06-2011, 22:24
Should arrive in Worcester at 11.30 , may be earlier/later all depends on childcare , lift to station or getting lost at New Street Station :confused:

OK - I think we'll just be finishing off breakfast by then :)

Oggwyn Trench
09-06-2011, 22:43
OK - I think we'll just be finishing off breakfast by then :)

I will have a full english before leaving home , lunch , tea and supper will be BEER , BEER and BEER:drinkup::D:lol: with maybe the odd beef roll to keep me sober(ish):p

Oggwyn Trench
12-06-2011, 09:34
An exellent days drinking in good company and a few rather strange pubs :) i would have stayed a bit longer but didnt really fancy spending the best part of an hour stuck at Smethwick Galton Bridge Station :mad:

On to the important things , i owe you a pickled egg , you were right :notworthy: , Tpau`s first album was 1987

Quinno
12-06-2011, 19:21
An exellent days drinking in good company and a few rather strange pubs :) i would have stayed a bit longer but didnt really fancy spending the best part of an hour stuck at Smethwick Galton Bridge Station :mad:

Yes, it was good day wasn't it - we did the Plough, Swan and Postal Order after you'd gone. I was quite tired this morning though :D

On to the important things , i owe you a pickled egg , you were right :notworthy: , Tpau`s first album was 1987

Good knowledge, all down to owning Now 11 on cassette you see! ;)

aleandhearty
13-06-2011, 13:08
Do any of those who enjoyed the day fancy giving the rest of us a quick debrief?

Quinno
13-06-2011, 13:27
Do any of those who enjoyed the day fancy giving the rest of us a quick debrief?

I was going to start uploading photos etc after work this evening so will try and get a brief run-down posted then. :glass:

Bucking Fastard
13-06-2011, 13:28

Yes that would be very handy as I am boating down that way with a thirsty crew in a months time,and might have two nights in Worcester ,either side of a night in Gloucester.

Quinno
15-06-2011, 00:52
Right then, will keep this swift as I need to go to bed!

Arriving Worcester and not being hungry we decided to forgo The Postal Order (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42497/) as our first pub and take advantage of the decent weather and set out to the original extremity of the crawl, to the west of the town centre as the sharper-brained of our group noted that the The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65673/) opened at 10! On the way we passed The Paul Pry (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42488/) which most definitely was not closed (the local CAMRA branch said it was!) - we pressed our snouts against the window to see the barmaid pottering around doing pre-opening chores but no ale. We promised to revisit later for a half of keg but, inevitably, forgot. We also passed The Bush Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42407/), sadly closed "until further notice". Note: two butchers shops here selling pies - yum. Finally arrived at The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65673/) to find it already quite busy and with a good range of beer on. We sat in one of the side rooms while the old boys watched trooping the colour in the main bar. After 15 minutes Oggy joined us. At full compliment, we headed in instalments to The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65673/), a solid local with three Marstons list ales and a cider. Then off on Oggys advice to The Grosvenor Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42445/) which outside hangs Oggy's favourite pub sign in Worcester. A large Banks house that recently re-opened, it was nothing hugely special beer-wise but was friendly and did pickled eggs. It also was here where the great T'Pau date debate was had (Quinno won). At this point one of our party skipped to Crown & Anchor (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42415/) which again has just re-opened with a couple of so-so Marstons list ales. Then another Oggy choice Wheatsheaf Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42536/) a really decent find - a number of Marstons ales plus a local one from St Georges. Nice views across the valley from the rear of the pub and a friendly chap behind the bar. Descending the hill back to the town centre via an Oggy-knowledge shortcut, we hit The Dragon Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42426/) which was my favourite pub of the day. Lots of good beer, off-the-wall characters and a warm welcome. See my uploaded pics for a particularly amusing list of 'banned conversation topics'. I ended up having a good few in here, which is probably what caused me to start swaying alarmingly later. The The Fire Fly (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57361/) next, which looked like some kind of mistake when we walked in, looked like a boudoir. Still, there was a decent range of ale in good nick! Swan With Two Nicks (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42516/) next, a weird one, downstairs is really traditional, upstairs has an 80's refit bar. Weird. Decent beer though, a worthwhile visit. Then onto Cardinals Hat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42409/), a wildcard in that it only serves fizzy foreign stuff but I was really impressed with it. Touted as expensive, I thought (as a citizen of the South) it was pretty reasonable! Classic Teutonic service from behind the bar, it's owned by an Austrian lass called Angela and she was on duty. Oggy then takes his leave at this point - sensibly so! We're staggering a bit now but we make it to The Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64464/) unscathed but notice time ticking by so don't spend as long as we'd have liked. At this point my note-taking resembles the scribblings of a chimpanzee but I obviously enjoyed the ale as there's a big smiley face there. Last quick half at the surprisingly neat The Postal Order (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42497/) before catching the train back to Reading. JD gets out Pass The Pigs, where I win the first game emphatically by rolling over 100 in consecutive throws. Suffice to say I then go on to lose every game thereafter attempting to repeat the feat.

Oggwyn Trench
15-06-2011, 07:49
Slight amendment to Quinnos report after leaving the Bell we went to this place Berkeley Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42395/) where the mood for the day was set as the conversation started on the merits or otherwise of cask breathers and ended with Princess Di being shagged senseless by the Honeymonster :whistle:
The Firefly was like something out of a 1970s Joan Collins film all leather and subdued lighting .
The Dragon was my favorite of the day a good solid ale house .

aleandhearty
15-06-2011, 10:44
...we make it to The Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64464/) unscathed but notice time ticking by so don't spend as long as we'd have liked...

Thanks for that Quinno. Seems like you had a good day. Shame to have missed it. Sorry to hear The Bush has closed again though. Surprised to hear you left it so late in the day for The Plough (Probably my favourite). Mind you if I'd gone there early on I wouldn't have wanted to move!

gillhalfpint
15-06-2011, 10:53
Lots of my favourite pubs in your Worcester ramblings. Will be there for the Worcester beer fest in August, so may well have a look round the pubs again too.

I like pass the pigs as well.

Quinno
15-06-2011, 13:30
Lots of my favourite pubs in your Worcester ramblings.

Ramblings indeed, reading it again now I notice that large chunks are written in different tenses! Must've been knackered last night.

I like pass the pigs as well.

Oink! It's a great little game to pass time on a train journey - pocket sized too. :D

Oggwyn Trench
15-06-2011, 18:28
Some decent pictures you took there Quinno , i have got a dozen on my phone and only managed to work out where half of them are :confused:

Hope Soupy doesnt see the one of me in the Grovesner Arms , thats a pint of MILD in my hand :D

Bucking Fastard
17-06-2011, 10:56
Thanks a lot for the very useful info.chaps. It sounded like a great crawl and the ale scene appears much improved since my last visit in the early 90's.I will be in Worcester City centre for two nights next month with a thirsty crew and it sounds from what you say The Dragon and The Plough could be worth investigating ,each for an extended stay.Personal recommendations are so much more useful than playing Russian roulette with GBG entries( some now possibly 18 months out of date) in a town you are not familiar with,

Ta.