PDA

View Full Version : Beckermet

sheffield hatter
02-04-2011, 12:01
Conrad,

This is geography, so perhaps you'd better let Dave deal with it.

Hi Dave,

Beckermet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/beckermet/cumbria/) is not in Carlisle postal district - it is a postal district in its own right. Please correct.

I notice that some "village centre" areas have been created for these small postal villages: St Bees and Ravenglass now both have village centres even though the only pubs in the postal district are in the village, so there is no need to differentiate. I would suggest that these should be deleted, but I don't want to upset whoever created them, as they clearly must have had their reasons for doing so. What do you and others think?

In the postal district of Seascale, on the other hand, there are outlying areas that belong to the postal district but are not in Seascale village. I am therefore creating "Seacale village" to differentiate between those pubs that are in the village and those that are miles away. I don't think the word "centre" is appropriate for villages: anything big enough to have pubs on its outskirts or in suburbs is clearly not a village. (Conrad - if you've read this far, don't say you weren't warned.:))

Cheers

Conrad
04-04-2011, 15:25
Hi sheffield hatter,

We have corrected Beckermet back to its own town.

Every pub should be in an area so that the area appears in it's coverage on the pub summary page's address card. Also long term it would be nice if search engines paid more attention to the area pages as the postal district pages are a bit rubbish. So if we deleted villages centre areas they would not appear on any area pages.

And also to quote a total idiot who had a rather bizarre point:

There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.
And whilst a pub is in an area we can all know that it is a known known, whilst it has no area, who can tell if it is a known unknown, or an unknown unknown? (Dave thought up that example and I couldn't resist ripping it off :p)

Thanks for that.

sheffield hatter
05-04-2011, 11:27
Hi Conrad,

Who am I to argue with Donald Rumsfeld? I take your point about creating areas separate from postal towns, even when the two are identical.

My point was really that the term "centre" sits awkwardly alongside the term "village". In my view, it looks downright silly. But if you and other users of the site are content, I'll just have to suppress my giggles.

Cheers