PDA

View Full Version : My future pub crawls

hopwas
11-12-2009, 17:02
Right Guys (and Women)..

I have few pub crawls planned in coming months..

Derby

My second hometown, I intend to visit Brewery Tap (I have visited it in its previous life, Royal Standard) and new Wetherspoon (:notworthy:) outlet, Thomas Leper. Then visit Derby's traditional Back Street Boozers in California area Southwest Derby.

The reason I chose California (No no no that place in US!) as I spent my young adult life in pubs in that area and haven't visited since 1997. And the area is famed for high number of pubs

More information.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California,_Derby

West Bromwich

The Vine is the only pub I have visited in area but I want go back and explore West Brom's pubs. Unexplored area for me.

Dudley or surrounding area

Question for Soupy..

I absolutely have no knowledge of Dudley (other than that pub in Black Country museum!)

Any good pub crawls? Help me out!

Thanks

Hoppy

oldboots
11-12-2009, 19:31
Well apart from a bad pubs crawl in Liverpool last night and Dudley/Netherton/Brierley Hill on Monday night I have a lengthening list of crawls to do in addition to filling in local gaps in PG reviews.

Leeds
haven't been for a while so the city centre wants looking at again.

Manchester
lots of good pubs near Victoria station especially (Marble Arch, Angel, Bar Fringe, Crown & Kettle etc)

Sheffield Valley of Beer
still got the northern end (Hillsborough, Wellington) to do plus there is now a Thornbridge supplied bar at the station :drinkup:

Trans-Pennine Rail-Ale trail
still haven't done Dewsbury but I'll do the Stalybridge - Huddersfield - Dewsbury in one go and leave the other line for another time.

Derby 2
a few to revisit and some new ones to try

Edinburgh
great city full of wonderful pubs and I say that as a weggie.

Others bubbling under are Norwich, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Chester, Rochdale, Birmingham/BlackCountry (again), Ironbridge, Bridgenorth, so many pubs so little time:rolleyes:

Oggwyn Trench
12-12-2009, 00:02
Would`nt bother with Ironbridge , most of the pubs are food orientated tourist traps , The Golden Ball is Ok as is the Horse And Jockey , the best pub is the Dirty Duck (Black Swan) over the river in Jackfield and the Boat ain`t bad when its not under water . If your in the area the best bet is Jackfield and then get stuck in the All Nations in Madley.
As for my future plans , York , Oxford (again), Chester(again), Salisbury , Stafford , Worcester , Bath and anywhere else i can persuade the wife to go for a weekend

oldboots
12-12-2009, 09:10
Would`nt bother with Ironbridge , then get stuck in the All Nations in Madley.

Ironbridge will get combined with a visit to Blists Hill which is just across the road from the All Nations.....oh dear.:D

Salisbury is a fine drinking city and quite pretty, don't miss Deacons, the Village and the Wyndham Arms (home of Hopback brewery), plus any number of other good pubs including the famous mumified hand in the Haunch of Venison (expensive beer though).

York is special, any of the three York Brewery pubs, the Blue Bell, The Maltings, Pivo (if you like Belgian/German beer), and probably The Rook and Gaskill are the stars, but the list is a long one; now you've got me thinking I might go there next weekend
:glass::glass::glass:.

Soup Dragon
12-12-2009, 09:29
Hi Hoppy

Not really done much around Dudley, to be honest. I need to visit myself. I dont have much booked at moment - hoping to do Bridgnorth before the end of the year - its more at them moment, doing an odd couple of pubs as and when, or it will be a spur of the moment thing. A couple in Lichfield later, i hope. I visited several (2 closed) in Digbeth last night.

hopwas
12-12-2009, 11:26
any of the three York Brewery pubs

I went to this http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55475/ back in 2006.

Cracking little pub!

Blue Bell is fine Edwardian pub but poor ales. It was cramped when I went to Blue Bell and landlord was very grumpy!

hopwas
12-12-2009, 11:30
Hi Hoppy

Not really done much around Dudley, to be honest. I need to visit myself. I dont have much booked at moment - hoping to do Bridgnorth before the end of the year - its more at them moment, doing an odd couple of pubs as and when, or it will be a spur of the moment thing. A couple in Lichfield later, i hope. I visited several (2 closed) in Digbeth last night.

I'l guess I need research into Dudley pubs later. I actually visited The Crown in Bridgnorth earlier this year. Nice Marston's pub. I couldnt believe I missed Wetherspoon in Bridgnorth, I only found out by looking at Bridgnorth list on this website! :moremad: I must have walked past and not realising it is wetherspoon.

(2 closed) in Digbeth last night

I am trembling with fear... which pubs?

Soup Dragon
12-12-2009, 11:30
The Yorkshire Terrier is class.

The Blue Bell is also brilliant and very significant in the social history of the country, i believe

Soup Dragon
12-12-2009, 11:44
I'l guess I need research into Dudley pubs later. I actually visited The Crown in Bridgnorth earlier this year. Nice Marston's pub. I couldnt believe I missed Wetherspoon in Bridgnorth, I only found out by looking at Bridgnorth list on this website! :moremad: I must have walked past and not realising it is wetherspoon.

(2 closed) in Digbeth last night

I am trembling with fear... which pubs?

Market tavern, Queens Head (or Arms, by Lamp) and the White Swan, Sherlock St, which is Eden's Bar now

Hen & Chickens was closed last time i went there, as well and God knows if the Catherine O'Donovan is open, or not

Farway
12-12-2009, 11:45
Last weekend I was down Albert Road in Southsea, got into 4 pubs

However what I had never realised was just how many pubs there are along that relatively short road, 9, and if you count the immediate ones just off, it is 11

Thus a task in summer is start at Goose http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13987/ and finish Festing http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65547/

The start & finish pubs I think will be a let down, but high hopes for the others, but will have to be just half in each unless I spread it over a few days

hopwas
12-12-2009, 12:01
Market tavern, Queens Head (or Arms, by Lamp) and the White Swan, Sherlock St, which is Eden's Bar now

Hen & Chickens was closed last time i went there, as well and God knows if the Catherine O'Donovan is open, or not

Queen's Arms by Lamp, Last visited in 2007.. Shame about its location (right middle of industrial estate)

The White Swan also in 2007.. scene of man asked me if am single :eek: No need tell you more about this. Lets leave it! :rolleyes:

oldboots
12-12-2009, 12:21
I went to this http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55475/ back in 2006.

Cracking little pub!

Blue Bell is fine Edwardian pub but poor ales. It was cramped when I went to Blue Bell and landlord was very grumpy!

The other York brewery pubs are Last Drop (http://http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53951/) and Three Legged Mare (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53953/). There's also the Brewery which does tours.

The Blue Bell does get busy but there are more rooms down the corridor or space in the drinking corridor itself. The beers are a fairly mainstream bunch but I've never had a bad 'un in there, the ladies behind the bar are very pleasant and polite, I've never knowingly met the landlord. Some landlords make grumpiness an artform.

hopwas
12-12-2009, 12:30
The other York brewery pubs are Last Drop (http://http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53951/) and Three Legged Mare (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53953/). There's also the Brewery which does tours.

The Blue Bell does get busy but there are more rooms down the corridor or space in the drinking corridor itself. The beers are a fairly mainstream bunch but I've never had a bad 'un in there, the ladies behind the bar are very pleasant and polite, I've never knowingly met the landlord. Some landlords make grumpiness an artform.

Also went to

Ye Olde Starre Inn.. Great pub with Old Peculiar selling
The Golden Fleece Reportedly most haunted pub in York, Fine pub. Had pint of Black Sheep.
The Red Lion Also had a pint of Black Sheep
and pub (I cant remember name but it has mock tudor house look) on busy junction near city centre

oldboots
12-12-2009, 12:36
Also went to

Ye Olde Starre Inn.. Great pub with Old Peculiar selling
The Golden Fleece Reportedly most haunted pub in York, Fine pub. Had pint of Black Sheep.
The Red Lion Also had a pint of Black Sheep
and pub (I cant remember name but it has mock tudor house look) on busy junction near city centre

All good pubs, well it is York :D, The Snickleway also claims to be York's most haunted :confused: Don't know which mock tudor pub it could have been - there are a few in York and some genuine ones.

Oggwyn Trench
12-12-2009, 12:41
Ironbridge will get combined with a visit to Blists Hill which is just across the road from the All Nations.....oh dear.:D

Salisbury is a fine drinking city and quite pretty, don't miss Deacons, the Village and the Wyndham Arms (home of Hopback brewery), plus any number of other good pubs including the famous mumified hand in the Haunch of Venison (expensive beer though).

York is special, any of the three York Brewery pubs, the Blue Bell, The Maltings, Pivo (if you like Belgian/German beer), and probably The Rook and Gaskill are the stars, but the list is a long one; now you've got me thinking I might go there next weekend
:glass::glass::glass:.

If your at Blists Hill , go down the hill into Coalport and there are two pubs The Shakespeare (a GBG regular) and the Brewery (which has strange opening times , due to mating glowworms ) are both worth a visit , you can reach the Boat by footbridge or go a bit further and cross the ricketty bridge to the Woodbridge which is an old inn with a lovelly setting

hopwas
12-12-2009, 12:50
All good pubs, well it is York :D, The Snickleway also claims to be York's most haunted :confused: Don't know which mock tudor pub it could have been - there are a few in York and some genuine ones.

I am not sure if you have been to Robin Hood Bay but I had a pint in this pub.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29824/

NOTE: Not recommended for wheelchair users and weak heart.. Very steep hill!!

Also went to Whitby, Scarborough and few Yorkshire towns. Yorkshire is haven for real ale drinkers. I always enjoyed go to Yorkshire.

Soup Dragon
12-12-2009, 12:51
Oggy, have you done Ludlow?

Soup Dragon
12-12-2009, 12:52
Also went to Whitby, Scarborough and few Yorkshire towns. Yorkshire is haven for real ale drinkers. I always enjoyed go to Yorkshire.

I noticed you did the Shakespeare in Scarboro' - it is legend!

hopwas
12-12-2009, 12:57
I noticed you did the Shakespeare in Scarboro' - it is legend!

Yep! I still have photo of me and my sister outside Shakespeare..

Boy what a night that was! Unbelievably mad people inside the pub.. I never seen so many drunks in one pub! :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
12-12-2009, 13:07

Yes , but not for years , its a bit like Shrewsbury lots of old buildings and the castle is one of the best anywhere . Its well worth a visit pub wise , the Church and the Globe being the pick in town , the Feathers is beautifull outside rubbish in , the Bull used to be good as well . The Charlton Arms on Ludford Bridge (which you should know all about in your proffesion) is good as well .
I tend to bypass Ludlow and head up the Clun Valley loads of cracking little pubs and glourious scenery .

Delboy20
13-12-2009, 20:09

Hi soupy,

Just been laughing at your review of the Catherine O'Donovan . I know exactly what you mean. I have tried to go in there 3 times now and each time it has been shut !! I have no idea of the opening hours - if there are any !!
The most annoying thing is that it is the only pub in the area I haven't been in !!
I will not give up.

Cheers,

Del.

hopwas
13-12-2009, 20:15
Hi soupy,

Just been laughing at your review of the Catherine O'Donovan . I know exactly what you mean. I have tried to go in there 3 times now and each time it has been shut !! I have no idea of the opening hours - if there are any !!
The most annoying thing is that it is the only pub in the area I haven't been in !!
I will not give up.

Cheers,

Del.

Somehow I popped in Catherine O'Donovan in 2001 or 2002 with no problem :D

Looks like my luck is on my side :cheers:

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 09:34
Somehow I popped in Catherine O'Donovan in 2001 or 2002 with no problem :D

Looks like my luck is on my side :cheers:

I have managed it twice - once sat outside in its small beer patio, drinking Banks's MILD, i think - it was a bog standard place - like Town Crier, but better than the now defunct Queens. The second time, it was selling cans of C*****g and Woodpecker Cider, as though it was about to close - i think i walked out, i cant remember!

Why bother with it, apart from going to rate it - the Lamp is the best in that little area

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 10:47
Yes , but not for years , its a bit like Shrewsbury lots of old buildings and the castle is one of the best anywhere . Its well worth a visit pub wise , the Church and the Globe being the pick in town , the Feathers is beautifull outside rubbish in , the Bull used to be good as well . The Charlton Arms on Ludford Bridge (which you should know all about in your proffesion) is good as well .
I tend to bypass Ludlow and head up the Clun Valley loads of cracking little pubs and glourious scenery .

It's been years since i went into the Ludlow pubs - may have to give it another go. Thinking of Leominster as well, but that is more Mr A's territory

arwkrite
14-12-2009, 10:49

It really does surprise me that Ludlow has so few reviews and photographs.During the summer this is one of the prettiest tourist traps around . It is renowned for good places to eat, specialized food shops , and good pubs. Some are impressive places on the main streets, others can be found in quaint little side streets.
Ludlow is situated on the Hereford > Shrewsbury rail line and country buses connect with local towns and villages. Reasonable priced accommodation if you ring around.
The area is well worth a visit but a map ,guide book and teetotal driver are essential. The beers are plenty and varied it would be a shame to miss them.:drinkup:
I fell in love with Shropshire when 12 years of age and it has never waned so you may think I am biased .

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 13:51
Hi Ed

How did your Brum trip go - where did you end up going?

Oggwyn Trench
14-12-2009, 18:20
It really does surprise me that Ludlow has so few reviews and photographs.During the summer this is one of the prettiest tourist traps around . It is renowned for good places to eat, specialized food shops , and good pubs. Some are impressive places on the main streets, others can be found in quaint little side streets.
Ludlow is situated on the Hereford > Shrewsbury rail line and country buses connect with local towns and villages. Reasonable priced accommodation if you ring around.
The area is well worth a visit but a map ,guide book and teetotal driver are essential. The beers are plenty and varied it would be a shame to miss them.:drinkup:
I fell in love with Shropshire when 12 years of age and it has never waned so you may think I am biased .

Strange but true , a couple of years ago Ludlow had the most Michelin Stared resturants in the country exept for London .

hopwas
14-12-2009, 18:49
Strange but true , a couple of years ago Ludlow had the most Michelin Stared resturants in the country exept for London .

I thought that honour goes to Bray, Berkshire..

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:11
I thought that honour goes to Bray, Berkshire..

Well, certainly not to JDW, :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:hoppy:p

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:15
Well, certainly not to JDW, :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:hoppy:p

:moremad:

Hey leave my beloved :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: alone..

They do cracking meals you know especially Farmhouse Breakfast..

In fact it got me thinking of brekkie at The Acorn tomorrow (money and weather permitting)

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:19
:moremad:

Hey leave my beloved :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: alone..

They do cracking meals you know especially Farmhouse Breakfast..

In fact it got me thinking of brekkie at The Acorn tomorrow (money and weather permitting)

You can have one of my 50p vouchers, that will get you 8 flat pints - you wont get to order your brekkie, as you wont find a member of staff:rolleyes:

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:23
You can have one of my 50p vouchers, that will get you 8 flat pints - you wont get to order your brekkie, as you wont find a member of staff:rolleyes:

:eek: 50p vouchers?? You must be desperate.. :D I dont do MILD which is flat beer, only Porters or Stouts, proper drink for hardened man like me..

Naaaahhh.. You will find there is millions of them in wetherspoon :cheers:

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:26
Have you been in the Dog in Whittington since it re-opened?

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:31
Have you been in the Dog in Whittington since it re-opened?

Aye two months ago..

Adnams Broadside is their permanent ale plus others. You will need load of wad to buy a pint as it is shockingly expensive, they do cracking meal BTW.

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:32
they do cracking meal BTW.

ooooh God, dont tell me it's a JDW now!

JDW=:twigs::twigs::twigs:

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:36
ooooh God, dont tell me it's a JDW now!

JDW=:twigs::twigs::twigs:

Genuine lol!

Dont think JDW would do one in village! Anyway it is free house and barmaid is bit of looker :cheers: but pleasant! I am sure they have :twigs: somewhere in Dog Inn..

Hey lets drop :twigs::twigs::twigs: :moremad:

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:48
it is free house and barmaid is bit of looker :

Well dont try to pull her, you will have to give up half your crate of Hobgoblin for xmas - no can do!

I feel like going now - OB has just text me to say he is in Pardoes in Netherton and is off to The Vine (Bathams MILD and bitter) so not in a good mood - wanted to go over, but cant get a lift back and i cant drive for obvious reasons - sulking:mad:

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:52
Well dont try to pull her, you will have to give up half your crate of Hobgoblin for xmas - no can do!

I feel like going now - OB has just text me to say he is in Pardoes in Netherton and is off to The Vine (Bathams MILD and bitter) so not in a good mood - wanted to go over, but cant get a lift back and i cant drive for obvious reasons - sulking:mad:

:eek: you and OB having bit of spat?

Anyway back to that barmaid.. it is quite difficult and you will see why when you see her. (Hint: bit of cleverage showing well bit too much actually :rolleyes:)

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 19:58

Not at all, i am just jealous that he is where he is and i am where i am!

Anyway back to that barmaid.. it is quite difficult and you will see why when you see her. (Hint: bit of cleverage showing well bit too much actually :rolleyes:)

FILTH - does she work all week?

hopwas
14-12-2009, 19:59
I remember I had huge spat with my late drinking pal (Bless him) in Atherstone.. My pal went into sulk and walked off into horizon. I went pub crawling on myself.. then one pub called White Bear (The Clock as local calls it) I found my pal drinking on his own.

We apologised for our bad behaviour and made a peace pact. Continued our pub crawling together.

He died of heart attack only one month later. He was 61 and I was 25. Odd couple I know!

hopwas
14-12-2009, 20:01
FILTH - does she work all week?

I dunno.. Best you pop in.. She is the youngest worker (Long Brown hair)

Oh you havent answered my question about OB

Soup Dragon
15-12-2009, 09:09
Oh you havent answered my question about OB

A spat, God, no -we were due to meet up and i couldn't make it, so he is updating me as to where he is and what he is drinking - i managed an hour in Burntwood, with a few real ales - not quite in the same league as Pardoes and the Vine - though the Uxbridge is decent

hopwas
15-12-2009, 10:26
A spat, God, no -we were due to meet up and i couldn't make it, so he is updating me as to where he is and what he is drinking - i managed an hour in Burntwood, with a few real ales - not quite in the same league as Pardoes and the Vine - though the Uxbridge is decent

Oh thats reilef! I was fearing the worst.

Iam heading to Lichfield and have a quick pint at DoY plus two pubs before heading back to Tamworth. 2 hours max.

See you later on forum later tonight!

Hoppy

hopwas
15-12-2009, 14:52
Oh thats reilef! I was fearing the worst.

Iam heading to Lichfield and have a quick pint at DoY plus two pubs before heading back to Tamworth. 2 hours max.

See you later on forum later tonight!

Hoppy

Still in Lichfield :D Longer than I thought!

Anyway DoY is very tidy pub with fire log roaring and giving me feel at home. Had a pint of Salopian (sp?) Golden thread, pleasant pint of fruity and hoppy (no surprise there given my nickname :cheers:)

Then half of Reinbeer by Church End at Horse and Jockey. I must say it is very bland and no flavour.

Finally swift half of Timothy Taylor at Queens Head. For the first time I have seen Queen Head packed (normally there is only around 5 punters) with at least 20 punters! :eek:

Iam currently in Lichfield Library. Iam Overlooking Gatehouse Inn.. oh pardon me.. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (bit of dig to Soupy!).. mmmm I'll think i'll go and have half..

Soup Dragon
15-12-2009, 14:59
Still in Lichfield :D Longer than I thought!

Anyway DoY is very tidy pub with fire log roaring and giving me feel at home. Had a pint of Salopian (sp?) Golden thread, pleasant pint of fruity and hoppy (no surprise there given my nickname :cheers:)

Then half of Reinbeer by Church End at Horse and Jockey. I must say it is very bland and no flavour.

Finally swift half of Timothy Taylor at Queens Head. For the first time I have seen Queen Head packed (normally there is only around 5 punters) with at least 20 punters! :eek:

Iam currently in Lichfield Library. Iam Overlooking Gatehouse Inn.. oh pardon me.. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (bit of dig to Soupy!).. mmmm I'll think i'll go and have half..

Salopian GT is a decent beer, Hoppy - and three excellent choices for pubs to visit - we will get you off the Carling yet! I know the library, it was where i had my first job

hopwas
15-12-2009, 15:41
Darn! I forgetten what i had at gatehouse. Never mind, i am drinking pint of abbots reserve, dangerously drinkable in the acorn inn. Not looking foward going hme but i have to!

Soup Dragon
15-12-2009, 15:49
Darn! I forgetten what i had at gatehouse. Never mind, i am drinking pint of abbots reserve, dangerously drinkable in the acorn inn. Not looking foward going hme but i have to!

You had Car*ing, mate, dont deny it. Go home and have a Hobgoblin - i shall go to the Dog:love:

hopwas
15-12-2009, 15:55
I am no lager man thank you! Oh hope you realise dog open at 7pm? I am waiting 4 bus bring me back to beauitful Tamworth.

Soup Dragon
15-12-2009, 16:03
I am no lager man thank you! Oh hope you realise dog open at 7pm? I am waiting 4 bus bring me back to beauitful Tamworth.

I think you have competition for your claim to be the PG Official JDW tester - Edmon has visited a fair few as well, mate. My apologies to him, i committed a faux pas:muppet: when i asked him to post some reviews - he has done a number - just uses a different name - Sorry Edmon!

oldboots
15-12-2009, 19:29

perish the thought, but I just felt I ought to remind Soupy about what he was missing, purely as a public service you understand and in no way a wind up,....not at all.....no not me.....as if. I did mention the :twigs:twigs:twigs: in the Courthouse didn't I? :D More to the point Soupy did pass on some very useful pointers about what was the best beer where and to get a pork pie in the Vine (lovely incidentally). He didn't pass on the info about the barmaid in Whittington but I probably couldn't have got there, I got confused about bus stops in Brierley Hill and missed out on a pint or two in the Rose & Crown:moremad: I don't think pub crawls by proxy or virtual pub crawls will actually catch on.

hopwas
16-12-2009, 10:27
i shall go to the Dog:love:

So Did you wentt Soupy? I hope you enjoyed your Carling, my old man :drinkup:

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 10:29
So Did you wentt Soupy? I hope you enjoyed your Carling, my old man :drinkup:

No mate - i was hoping to, as footy team trains there, but i forgot, i had daughter's Xmas carol concert. Maybe doing the last two i need to do in Aldridge tonight, depends though.

hopwas
16-12-2009, 10:34
No mate - i was hoping to, as footy team trains there, but i forgot, i had daughter's Xmas carol concert. Maybe doing the last two i need to do in Aldridge tonight, depends though.

No more pub crawls for me this year.. :mad: cos Xmas is rapidly coming up.

Looks like Iam confined to Tamworth pubs for now.

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 10:37
No more pub crawls for me this year.. :mad: cos Xmas is rapidly coming up.

Looks like Iam confined to Tamworth pubs for now.

Send me your mobile number and i will do an OB and text you everytime i am in a class pub drinking quality, while you are chosing between Carlin* and J*hn Smiths in the Fox:p

Merry Christmas

Oggwyn Trench
16-12-2009, 20:52
No more crawls for me this year either , a trip to Shrewsbury is on the cards for new year and a few local trips , Jackfield/Coalport/Brossley and i may brave Dawley/Madley to see if the pubs are as bad as they used to be (All Nations exepted)

oldboots
17-12-2009, 08:41
My last crawl of the year will probably be York this saturday :drinkup:
unless I can fit one in on the 29th or 30th. Depends what sort of Christmas I have :sick:

Soup Dragon
18-12-2009, 13:04
mini crawl of Bilston tonight, Gentlemen. Old White Rose, Trumpet and a few others

Laugh and the world laughs with you, drink C*rling and you drink it alone

Holdens MILD and Special coming up:notworthy:

hopwas
18-12-2009, 15:49
mini crawl of Bilston tonight, Gentlemen. Old White Rose, Trumpet and a few others

Laugh and the world laughs with you, drink C*rling and you drink it alone

Holdens MILD and Special coming up:notworthy:

Oh make sure you pop in :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (Sir Henry Newbolt)

Never been there.

Soup Dragon
18-12-2009, 16:12
Oh make sure you pop in :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (Sir Henry Newbolt)

Never been there.

Been i a few times, till i got sick of it - read my review

hopwas
18-12-2009, 16:26
Been i a few times, till i got sick of it - read my review

Just read your review.. I'll say nothing about that pub till I actually visited it (Iam protecting good name of Wetherspoon :D)

I remember I went to pub opposite Bilston Town's old ground called Queens Street ground in 2001 (It was against RC Warwick). It is called The Prince of Wales.. very down to earth pub, single roomed and wooden floor something you will find it in 1970's pub

Soup Dragon
18-12-2009, 16:29
Just read your review.. I'll say nothing about that pub till I actually visited it (Iam protecting good name of Wetherspoon :D)

I remember I went to pub opposite Bilston Town's old ground called Queens Street ground in 2001 (It was against RC Warwick). It is called The Prince of Wales.. very down to earth pub, single roomed and wooden floor something you will find it in 1970's pub

I know of it, just not got to it, yet!

oldboots
01-01-2010, 10:03
After talking to Soup Dragon and Ale & Hearty we think our first crawl of 2010 will be the Valley of Beer in Sheffield, probably meeting at the new bar on the station (see this (http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2009/12/sheffield-gets-fantastic-new-pub-as-if.html) or this) (http://www.aswiftone.com/2009/12/more-choice-in-sheffield.html), warning it sells Thornbridge, then getting a tram up to the Hillsborough and staggering down the valley from there.

We haven't discussed dates yet but anyone who fancies this famous crawl please stick in your ideas and preferences. Remember Sheffield is only just over 2 hours from St Pancras, or an hour and a quarter from New Street.

RogerB
01-01-2010, 10:50
It really does surprise me that Ludlow has so few reviews and photographs.

I was in Ludlow for a quick jaunt around town recently. I only went in the Church Inn for a pint but I did take a few pub snaps that have now been added to this site.

RogerB
01-01-2010, 11:08
After talking to Soup Dragon and Ale & Hearty we think our first crawl of 2010 will be the Valley of Beer in Sheffield, probably meeting at the new bar on the station (see this (http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2009/12/sheffield-gets-fantastic-new-pub-as-if.html) or this) (http://www.aswiftone.com/2009/12/more-choice-in-sheffield.html), warning it sells Thornbridge, then getting a tram up to the Hillsborough and staggering down the valley from there.

We haven't discussed dates yet but anyone who fancies this famous crawl please stick in your ideas and preferences. Remember Sheffield is only just over 2 hours from St Pancras, or an hour and a quarter from New Street.

Sheffield is high on my list of beer cities to visit. I have done the Kelham Island, Fat Cat and Bath Hotel but little else. I'm not sure a day trip would do the place justice and £60 for a return train ticket is a bit beyond my budget. It is my intention to do Sheffield in one big binge over a long weekend at some time in the future, preferably with a bit of footy or a gig thrown in for good measure.

oldboots
01-01-2010, 11:23
Sheffield is high on my list of beer cities to visit. I have done the Kelham Island, Fat Cat and Bath Hotel but little else. I'm not sure a day trip would do the place justice and £60 for a return train ticket is a bit beyond my budget. It is my intention to do Sheffield in one big binge over a long weekend at some time in the future, preferably with a bit of footy or a gig thrown in for good measure.

£60 ouch:eek: Let us northerners know when you are coming up, can't have you drinking alone.

Andy Ven
20-02-2010, 15:01
Dudley:
Get around by Bus http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/busindex.aspx for bus route maps, travelcard prices and timetables

of if there is a crowd, by minibus company will do a tailored tour http://www.bathams.co.uk/news.php#tours

Pubs with their own brewery:

Sarah Hughes Brewery at the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley - charming Victorian interior. Closes in the afternoon though so you might want to start here. 558 bus runs between Wolverhampton and Dudley centres via Sedgley (20 mins) or 223/224/229 from Bilston bus/metro station
Old Swan Brewery at the Old Swan (Ma Pardoes) in Netherton - not to be missed. Take a look around the inside.
Batham's - brewed at the Vine in Brierley Hill. Pub with character but not the most consistent pint, ironically. Best Batham's beer award goes to the Unicorn in Wollaston near Stourbridge
Sadlers Ales brewed at the Windsor Castle in Lye - as seen on TV. 150 yards from Lye train station

Other places worth a visit:
The Crooked House in Himley (now selling cask ales, sadly not on a bus route, worth seeing though),
The Old Bull's Head in Lower Gornal (home of Black Country Ales?),
Mad O'Rourkes Steak and Pie Factory in Lower Gornal,
Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal (Free House within short walking distance of the Britannia, a Batham's pub with an interesting back room),
The Court House in Dudley (next to the police station, 100 yards from Dudley Bus Station)

Conrad
20-02-2010, 17:44
Hi Andy,

Nice to see you on the forum.

You will know me and Dave run the site from all the corrections you have done. If you have any problems queries or suggestions for improvement of any of Pubs Galore please do let us know.

Thanks a lot for that information and especially for all your contributions over the years, hope to see you some more on the forums :)

Conrad

Andy Ven
21-02-2010, 18:43
Let me give you some pointers. Bus route maps, bus timetables and one-day travelcard prices can be found at http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/busindex.aspx

Pubs with on-site Brewery:

Park Inn in Woodsetton. Home of the Holden's Brewery
Beacon Hotel in Sedgley (558 bus runs 8 times per hour between Wolverhampton and Dudley via Sedgley taking around 20 minutes or catch the 223/224/229 from Bilston bus/metro station). Home of the Sarah Hughes Brewery. Characterful pub inside. Closes during the afternoon so probably better to start here before moving on.
Old Swan in Netherton. Home of the Old Swan Brewery. Pub also known as Ma Pardoes. Not to be missed, take a look around inside. Mighty fine pint of Entire.
The Vine in Brierley Hill (also known locally as the Bull 'n' Bladder). Home of Batham's Brewery but, ironically, the quality of the beer can be inconsistent. Unofficial best Batham's award goes to the Unicorn in Wollaston near Stourbridge.
The Windsor Castle in Lye. Home of the Windsor Castle Brewery making Sadlers Ales. 200 yards from Lye Railway Station with a direct link to Snow Hill and Moor Street stations in Birmingham city centre.

Other worthy venues:

You might also want to pay a visit to The Crooked House in Himley (only recently started selling cask ales and you might feel drunk on the way in due to the lopsided nature of the building. Sadly not on a bus route); The Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal and within walking distance of that the Britannia (another Batham's pub but worth seeing its back room); The Court House in Dudley town centre (next to the police station or 100 yards from the bus station).

An alternative way of getting around if there is a group of you is to use http://www.theme-tours.co.uk/ who will drive you on a tour of Batham's pubs or to your own choice of pubs as part of your own customised crawl

Ah! There's my earlier post! So good I said it twice!

Andy Ven
21-02-2010, 18:49
Cheers. Pubs and pub photos are worth documenting and saving.....
"When you have lost your inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England"

Soup Dragon
22-02-2010, 09:15
hi Andy

I have seen your 'local' work and it is nice to see you on the forum. I did Gornal again yesterday, so a few more reports to write!

Andy Ven
22-02-2010, 20:01
Cheers. At the time of my initial look at Walsall on PuG there were quite a few gaps so I made it my mission to do my bit to put my hometown on the map and to show what it has to offer - with places like the Pretty Bricks, Walsall Arms and White Lion in mind in particular. I'd previously submitted photos to BitE but they were too slow in responding so I gave up on them. I actually enjoyed doing it and it was more rewarding to see instant results on PuG.

It's also amazing how we can take things for granted yet look back at photos from only 25 years ago to realise how things change in a relatively short space of time and are gone forever - rather like my taste for lager!

Although Walsall has some good pubs, I think that the Royal Borough of Dudley is in a different league, especially if you look at the places I listed above. I had to go back to Ma Pardoes yesterday and buy some of their real ale in a bottle, I couldn't resist.

Soup Dragon
23-02-2010, 18:54
I did Gornal again on Sunday, but nothing on the list for a few days - not fair - mind you, i have about 15 reports still to write

RogerB
05-03-2010, 10:26
Mrs B informs me that 2 of her work colleagues fancy a pub crawl of St Albans next Saturday (13th) which I am naturally happy to organise. She is even shelling out for a Travel Lodge so she is clearly expecting me to lead them on a good run. Luckily Spurs game is early k.o. so plenty of time to squeeze in a good 15 pubs at least. I hope they know what they have let themselves in for.

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 10:39
Fifteen pubs ? Your hoping ! Once they find somewhere comfortable sit , get settled and chatting I doubt if they will want to shift. That leaves you starring at some twigs:twigs::twigs::twigs: and a painting . You may be able to tactfully excuse yourself and continue solo if lucky. Sounds like a case of where angels fear to tread myself:pray::pray::pray:

trainman
05-03-2010, 10:41
I hope they know what they have let themselves in for.

They have no idea! Who are these pretenders venturing forth & submitting to the RogerB endurance test?
I notice that connections from StA to London, & back out to Dartford, are still pretty frequent later in the evening, so the booking of a hotel sounds like even direr consequences for your tour group. I hope they've booked the Monday off too.

trainman
05-03-2010, 10:49
so the booking of a hotel sounds like even direr consequences for your tour group
Aah. I see. Your lot are at home, so will be you'll be at whl beforehand, therefore not reaching StA until later in the afternoon; so the hotel provides cover for getting those extra few pints in at the end of the day. Dedication to the cause...

RogerB
05-03-2010, 10:53
The Travelodge element also means we don't have to include either of the 2 'Spoons on the crawl as we can do them both for breakfast the next day before the pubs open. :D

hopwas
05-03-2010, 10:53
good 15 pubs at least.

:eek: I hope your livers will not do George Best :whistle:

My record stands at 18 pubs in single day.

Now I tend to visit 6 to 10 pubs as cost of beer rising.. :(

trainman
05-03-2010, 11:12
The Travelodge element also means we don't have to include either of the 2 'Spoons on the crawl as we can do them both for breakfast the next day before the pubs open. :D

Hehehe, tactics, old son, tactics!

trainman
08-03-2010, 07:38
Ok, I'm not going to open a new thread but feel I should briefly report on the aftermath of the Reading tour on Saturday. There were 9 pubs and a couple of jokers (2-pinters) and, back at the station, the Three Guineas was revisited. Hello to resident Reading expert Quinno, who tagged along part of the way.

The honourable Ealing member was travelling separately, on the slow train, but woke up at Paddington anyway.

Your correspondent, after a debrief at Paddington's Mad Bishop & Bear, missed his last train Victoria to West Norwood, so aimed for Herne Hill then a bus. He failed to stay awake for the 8mins it takes to Herne Hill and woke up at Orpington with no train back. Nightbus to the Elephant was followed by a very long and cold wait for another bus to get him home, eventually making it at 03:02am. I'm too old for this stuff.

But the prize for best 'overshoot of the day' goes to our very own Two-Pies-Chas, who was travelling in the opposite direction to Bristol, but woke up in Exeter. Quality! The jury is still out on how much the taxi back really cost...

aleandhearty
08-03-2010, 13:42
I hope they know what they have let themselves in for.

The pubs or Mrs B's colleagues? :D

Soup Dragon
18-03-2010, 09:07
Hurrrrrrrah

Just caught up with all the reviews i had left - finished the Cannock area now - off to get my hair cut, then train to Leamington and Warwick for 3 days of beer and music