PDA

View Full Version : It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the...

trainman
30-03-2011, 16:06
...those familiar with Lock,Stock will know the rest.

Booked a couple of train tickets to Southampton, 02May, £1e/w (each!).
Maybe Southampton & Portsmouth are not the busiest routes for megabus, as this generous price seems fairly widely available to those destinations, with a little advance planning...

Conrad
30-03-2011, 16:19
I think I am seeing the start of the problem here, you have bought a couple of train tickets from ...... megabus?

Are they running trains now, or is there a mistake here.

Strongers
30-03-2011, 16:44
I think I am seeing the start of the problem here, you have bought a couple of train tickets from ...... megabus?

Are they running trains now, or is there a mistake here.

Sounds to good to be true, but Megabus do cheap train tickets!

trainman
30-03-2011, 16:46
Yep, they run trains too - you can google megatrain, but you'll end up at the megabus website. Principal train routes are to Leicester/Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield, all of which should be of interest to ale drinkers!

trainman
01-04-2011, 23:52
Couldn't resist the same £1e/w deal to Portsmouth. Plan is for 07May if you're around Farway...

Farway
02-04-2011, 15:30
Couldn't resist the same £1e/w deal to Portsmouth. Plan is for 07May if you're around Farway...

Yep I'm around, in fact day after is my birthday so I can start early celebrations

trainman
03-04-2011, 09:20
From my last tour I'd probably ditch Dolphin & King Street Tavern, targets would include HITW, Sir Loin, Barley Mow, Florence, Leopold, Winchester, maybe Rose in June, maybe Isambard KB. I missed the Connaught last time and didn't notice the Eldon (Southsea, but shouldn't a Portsmouth answer-set on PG include this?).
Any other must-dos? I'll email my tel# and if you wanna tag along with 3 of us for a few on the day (11:30-19:30), give us a bell.

Farway
03-04-2011, 14:42
I muddled the dates up, thought it was April, in May I will be in Torquay

I reckon ditch Isambard KB and walk just down the road to the White Swan, also a 'spoons but an ex pub and not the usual dark venues, like Isambard KB which is the ex Southern Gas Board headquarters

While you are in the Albert Road area for Leopold, try out the Wine Vaults (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14049/) it at opposite end of Albert Road from Sir Loin / Leapold. Last time I was in it had 8 handpulls, and nothing to do with wine

Time permitting The Apsley House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13956/) is worth a go, Downton Brewery, sit outside in sunshine and top up the tan :D

trainman
17-05-2011, 17:16
Megabus again, but this time actually on a bus, unfortunately.
Three of us, London to Sheffield (30Jul), outward journey £7 all-in! Can't knock that, but will probably be nursing our hangovers in 1st class train carriage coming back next day (currently another relative Bobby at £22each).

trainman
20-07-2011, 20:33
Megabus again, but this time actually on a bus, unfortunately. Three of us, London to Sheffield (30Jul), outward journey £7 all-in!

These are now going spare (free/gratis) if anyone (or any three people) want to take an early coach from London to Sheffield, 30Jul, dep Victoria 08:00, arr Sheff Meadowhall 11:30 (take tram from there into town). My chaps have now pushed me onto the train going up (as well as back).

trainman
24-07-2011, 09:37
These are now going spare (free/gratis) if anyone (or any three people) want to take an early coach from London to Sheffield, 30Jul, dep Victoria 08:00, arr Sheff Meadowhall 11:30 (take tram from there into town). My chaps have now pushed me onto the train going up (as well as back).

Final bump.