PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Black now banned in UK

hopwas
06-12-2009, 12:19
Daily Mail (Last Thursday) reports that Toyko Black will not allowed to sell in UK after complaints by drink aware plus few anti alcohol supports that it promotes binge drinking and its hign proof.

Penguin is next?

Farway
06-12-2009, 13:26
I had to Google it as never heard of it, high proof my ar5e,"only" 5% abv according to my Google, many domestic beers beat that hands down

Still as you report a campaign by anti booze folk easily triggers knee jerk by government

Next thing they will be banning Soylent Green :sick:

oldboots
06-12-2009, 16:23
I think the story meant is this one

Morning Advertiser Story (http://http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/85264?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ma-rss-all-news+%28Rss+news+feed+for+Morning+Advertiser%29)

In a nut shell the Portman Group, would be nemisis of the lads at Brewdog :love:, wish to ban BrewDog Tokyo, an 18.2% abv imperial stout which sells at £10 a 330ml bottle :nishelypished: because amongst other things it might promote binge drinking. I can just see the cider and wife beater drinkers switching from £10 for 24 cans to £10 for a small bottle, the words "touch" "with reality" and "out of" spring to mind :moremad:.

Ban the Portman Group I say :mad:

Daily Mail ? I wouldn't wipe my A*** with it

hopwas
06-12-2009, 18:06
Sorry but it appears that the linky is broken :)

oldboots
06-12-2009, 18:12
sorry, try this one

Tokyo (http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/85264?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ma-rss-all-news+%28Rss+news+feed+for+Morning+Advertiser%29)

arwkrite
06-12-2009, 19:17
Try Beer of The Week thread, page twoentry #19. 03/12/09.
Some old F**t called Arwkrite heard about it on radio4. Mind you it was early in the morning and he is given to conversing with Pixies in the early hours.Farway knew of something even stronger, brewed by penguins and used used as a nuclear torpedo, I think. Have alook yourselves, someone may make sense of it.

PS I like The Daily Mail Cryptic Crossword and Garfield . The rest of it your welcome to.

oldboots
06-12-2009, 19:32
Try Beer of The Week thread, page twoentry #19. 03/12/09.
Some old F**t called Arwkrite heard about it on radio4.

PS I like The Daily Mail Cryptic Crossword and Garfield . The rest of it your welcome to.

Ah yes I knew I'd seen something about it before, well spotted Arkwrite.

I'd trust good old R4 over that ugly rag anytime, Garfield is good but I've given up on crosswords - I think my brain stopped being cryptic a while ago. :confused:

BTW it's only on page 2 if you display in "oldest first" order but the entry number stays the same so it can be easily found that way.

arwkrite
06-12-2009, 19:53
I use the radio and radio based internet sources for news. Newspapers are slow. Thinking they can charge for looking at online copies is way behind the times. Just like the music industry, newspaper owners cannot recognise the fact things have changed and they no longer call the shots.

I doubt if exports of this beer will be banned so it will make its way back in the country somehow. If the illegal imports of it match the rate of illegal immigration then it could become a top selling bottled beer.:cool: psst want a bottle?

Conrad
07-12-2009, 12:09
Ed seemed to imply they couldn't ban it anyway (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2998&postcount=35). Not sure what exactly he was saying there as it may now be someone else trying to ban it, but clearly it is just great marketing as it has appeared all over the press.

aleandhearty
07-12-2009, 12:52
Ban the Portman Group I say :mad:

Daily Mail ? I wouldn't wipe my A*** with it

Quite agree about the Portman Group. Duplicitous is the word that springs to mind. All that guff about raising the standards of alcohol marketing is just a smokescreen to protect the interests of the large drinks companies. These strong beers are a godsend for them, enabling them to get on their moral high horse and deflect interest away from the real problems. (Remember the outrage around Orkney's 'Skullsplitter' in September 2008?) :moremad:

I wouldn't even give The Daily Mail to someone else to wipe their a*** with. Distilled essence of middle England bigotry.

I've given up on crosswords - I think my brain stopped being cryptic a while ago. :confused:

Maybe you need to do crosswords to stop your brain giving up? :)
Finished my first ever Times Jumbo Cryptic in the Weekend section last week. Pleased as Punch I was.

arwkrite
07-12-2009, 14:31
Finished my first ever Times Jumbo Cryptic in the Weekend section last week. Pleased as Punch I was

I think I have one of those about two years old with maybe four answers ,three of which are probably wrong.

I have enough of a problem with the toilet paper but at least I do complete the odd one . The Times is out of my league.

arwkrite
07-12-2009, 14:34
My broadband is at a crawl today !

The Times c/word is out of my league. I have enough of a problem with the toilet paper but I do occasionaly finish one.

Conrad
07-12-2009, 14:43
Maybe you need to do crosswords to stop you're brain giving up? :)
Finished my first ever Times Jumbo Cryptic in the Weekend section last week. Pleased as Punch I was.
:notworthy:
I struggle to do the online version of the Independent crossword, which I am obviously now going to mess around with all afternoon.

Oggwyn Trench
07-12-2009, 19:38
I used to buy the Telegraph just for the crossword , it just did`nt look right in the window of my van though so now i stick to one of the redtops .

aleandhearty
08-12-2009, 11:54
:notworthy:
I struggle to do the online version of the Independent crossword, which I am obviously now going to mess around with all afternoon.

Thank you, thank you. Would you like to touch my clothes? :D
I had a look at the Indy crossword online and must admit I struggled! It's that old chestnut of getting into the mind of the compiler.

I used to buy the Telegraph just for the crossword... So did I! I've still got a lot of affection for it.

Conrad
08-12-2009, 13:13
Back when me and Dave were at university together we used to sit in the back of one of the lectures ideally doing the Independent Quick crossword during the course of the lecture. Come the end of the lecture when the lecturer asked if there were any questions it became a bit of a running joke to ask him any of the questions we hadn't got. Without fail the lecturer would successfully get them, the guy was a legend, I remember on a field trip sat behind him watching him polish off the Times Cryptic.

And no, I have no idea how either of us graduated.