PDA

View Full Version : Wetherspoon's news of the day

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Aqualung
29-08-2013, 08:19
It's early days yet, but they have put up the beers for it here (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/admin-generated/podium/ale-festival-october-13-204.pdf?t=1377763836).

I thought the list looked really good this time. There are 10 US brews (some made over here) as well as an 8.5% version of Abbot.

You have to scroll down towards the bottom of the PDF file to see the tasting notes.

aleandhearty
29-08-2013, 15:11
I thought the list looked really good this time.

Agreed. Definitely one of the better lists from the last few festivals. I'm even curious about the Abbott.

Aqualung
29-08-2013, 22:26
Agreed. Definitely one of the better lists from the last few festivals. I'm even curious about the Abbott.

I often hear or overhear stories about how the daytime Spoons brigade only go for the stronger beers such as GK Abbot Reserve (Turbo Abbot). Depending on the price they charge for the supercharged 8.5% one I wouldn't mind betting that it will cause a few casualties. I just hope they don't insist on serving it in halfs so I have to order two of them.

hondo
30-08-2013, 10:57
"12 US craft brewers"
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Drinks-Brands-News/Wetherspoon-flies-in-US-craft-brewers-to-boost-its-beer-offer

NickDavies
09-09-2013, 11:53
Do JDW still have a no music policy? We stopped in here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56985/) for a quick one yesterday afternoon to find, somewhat surreally, Songs of Praise blaring out from the telly.

Aqualung
09-09-2013, 13:49
Do JDW still have a no music policy? We stopped in here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56985/) for a quick one yesterday afternoon to find, somewhat surreally, Songs of Praise blaring out from the telly.

How Bizarre!
There was nothing on when I went there a while ago, but it was before 11:00. Maybe one of the staff is a Bill Turnbull stalker.

I've only ever seen the TV's sound on in Spoons when someone has asked to see sport. I can think of no reason why this service should only be provided for people who want to watch sport rather than what you came across, Aussie soaps, Celebrity Big Brother, the Jeremy Kyle Show or any other TV program.
Personally I think they should banish the screens completely.

Farway
09-09-2013, 13:52
How Bizarre!
There was nothing on when I went there a while ago, but it was before 11:00. Maybe one of the staff is a Bill Turnbull stalker.

I've only ever seen the TV's sound on in Spoons when someone has asked to see sport. I can think of no reason why this service should only be provided for people who want to watch sport rather than what you came across, Aussie soaps, Celebrity Big Brother, the Jeremy Kyle Show or any other TV program.
Personally I think they should banish the screens completely.

Agree, chuck the screens out.

NickDavies
09-09-2013, 15:10
Agree, chuck the screens out.

I think the pub was running on autopilot to be honest, just three zero-hours unfortunates trying to cope with a reasonably busy pub, no obvious managerial presence. I asked for Sambrook's Pale, which after much frantic pulling turned out to be off on the pump badged thus. The barmaid asked her colleague what to do and then went to off the next bank and pulled me a pint from a pump clipped for Darkstar Original, claiming they hadn't got round to sorting the clips out. They still hadn't got round to it half an hour later when we left. I think she was probably right about it not being Darkstar Original but I did wonder how many people asking for it got what may or may not have been Sambrook's Pale.

Farway
10-09-2013, 13:55
Yes the autopilot & zero hours. Found same in Winchester on Mothering Sunday, tried to give my son a latte coffee that was just filtered stuff, then told when he pointed out the obvious that is all they do.

I can understand, given the day, busy, understaffed & underpaid, but, like with a bad pint, why not just change it, fess up & say "sorry", or "even I can't be arsed"?

My pint was fine, thanks for asking, coffee drinkers in pubs deserve all the get :evilgrin:

hondo
13-09-2013, 09:34
"total estate of 886 pubs at the end of the financial year"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24076385

Aqualung
13-09-2013, 12:07
I wish he'd stop banging on about supermarkets not paying VAT, Some larger supermarkets have a Cafe included within them and I'm sure they must have to pay the full 20% on the cooked meals provided.

The low VAT day Spoons are doing later in the month will give a saving of just over £1 on a £7 meal. This would be significant for someone who eats every day week in week out in a Spoons.

I appreciate there is some sort of argument for reducing VAT but I don't buy into it as the people who would benefit the most are the "fine dining" brigade who spend fortunes on a few scraps of food served on a plate that's large enough to accomodate a whole leg of pork. Eating out is a luxury!

Quinno
13-09-2013, 12:15
"total estate of 886 pubs at the end of the financial year"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24076385

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/13/jd-wetherspoon-profits-open-pubs

Alesonly
13-09-2013, 21:32
I don't know if its just me or not but I've really gone off spoons lately especially the newer refurbished ones as they seem too be more and more food led. The latest one The Railway Bell in New Barnet has been refurbished so it resembles an Ikea canteen with all light wood tables and a stainless steel food serving counter. :sick: If that's not enough the only ales on were Abbots and Ruddles.:sick:

Aqualung
15-09-2013, 09:13
I don't know if its just me or not but I've really gone off spoons lately especially the newer refurbished ones as they seem too be more and more food led. The latest one The Railway Bell in New Barnet has been refurbished so it resembles an Ikea canteen with all light wood tables and a stainless steel food serving counter. :sick: If that's not enough the only ales on were Abbots and Ruddles.:sick:

I was going to have another look at this place some weeks ago, but it was closed for the refurbishment. I will be returning, hopefully before the end of the year, but judging from your review it's either now a complete disaster or something had gone seriously wrong when you went there.

Real Ale Ray
16-09-2013, 09:33
Spoons on the way to Ireland

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/09/j-d-wetherspoon-brew-up-storm-ireland/

london calling
16-09-2013, 21:18
Spoons on the way to Ireland

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/09/j-d-wetherspoon-brew-up-storm-ireland/

It is good news for the drinkers but bad news for the publicans.Its also good news for the micro brewers of Ireland who have struggled to get beer into pubs although they will have to match Wetherspoons low prices paid to brewers.

rpadam
17-09-2013, 22:53
It is good news for the drinkers but bad news for the publicans.Its also good news for the micro brewers of Ireland who have struggled to get beer into pubs although they will have to match Wetherspoons low prices paid to brewers.
Bearing in mind that about 8 out of the 10 best real ale pubs in Northern Ireland are 'spoons, and that there may be perhaps a dozen real ale pubs of note in the republic, this has to be (almost) unmitigated good news in my opinion...

Aqualung
18-09-2013, 13:24
Bearing in mind that about 8 out of the 10 best real ale pubs in Northern Ireland are 'spoons, and that there may be perhaps a dozen real ale pubs of note in the republic, this has to be (almost) unmitigated good news in my opinion...

I've only been to Eire once and never Northern Ireland. It seems to me that Guinness have a monopoly stranglehold over the Irish on trade. Do they actually own any of the pubs over which they have this appalling monopoly? I seem to recall a spat between Spoons and Guinness many years ago where they thought that Spoons were selling their rubbish beer at too cheap a price. This says everything about them. It would take a huge effort to persuade the average Irish drinker that there is more to beer than an overpriced mediocre keg stout, but it can be done as I've known Guinness drinkers in the past who have with a little cajouling gone over to real ale.

oldboots
18-09-2013, 17:19
It would take a huge effort to persuade the average Irish drinker that there is more to beer than an overpriced mediocre keg stout,

As in Britain lager rules, last year in the south west I didn't see a lot of Guinness or Murphys drinkers, Heinekin seeming to be the drink of choice. In Dublin it was almost the same but the variety in places like the Porterhouse chain and Messrs Maguires doesn't limit things like it does in the countryside.

london calling
18-09-2013, 20:28
As in Britain lager rules, last year in the south west I didn't see a lot of Guinness or Murphys drinkers, Heinekin seeming to be the drink of choice. In Dublin it was almost the same but the variety in places like the Porterhouse chain and Messrs Maguires doesn't limit things like it does in the countryside.

I noticed the lager boom as well when I was there 15 years ago.In the village I stayed in there were 6 pubs and lager seemed to outsell the black stuff about 5 pints to 1.No Guiness didn't own pubs why bother when every pub sold the stuff anyway.

Aqualung
27-09-2013, 22:46
I was dismayed to pick up a leaflet from the George in Wanstead today proclaiming "Craft Beers".

The beers were all bottled, which is ludicrous as several of their Locale and a few of their guest beers could quite easily be described as "Craft".

The beers on the leaflet were as follows :-

Goose Island IPA (355ml)
Coopers Pale Ale (355ml)
Brewdog Punk IPA (330ml)
Fuller's Organic Honey Dew (500ml)

The Fuller's and Brewdog beers are readily available at a supermarket near you and the Aussie beer is from a massive brewery in Australia.

I forgot to add that all these are just £2.99 each.

Farway
28-09-2013, 13:21
I was dismayed to pick up a leaflet from the George in Wanstead today proclaiming "Craft Beers".

The beers were all bottled, which is ludicrous as several of their Locale and a few of their guest beers could quite easily be described as "Craft".

Goose Island IPA (355ml)
Coopers Pale Ale (355ml)
Brewdog Punk IPA (330ml)

The Fuller's and Brewdog beers are readily available at a supermarket near you and the Aussie beer is from a massive brewery in Australia.

Gosh, a real bargain, not

I have noticed a trend in them pushing bottled beers, not sure if just me, but of course many just love bottled beers, so who am I to question JDW commercial decisions, obviously works and profits flow in

london calling
28-09-2013, 20:11

Goose Island IPA (355ml)
Coopers Pale Ale (355ml)
Brewdog Punk IPA (330ml)

The first 3 beers would qualify as Craft to me and all 4 would qualify as bargains in any pub in London other than Wetherspoon,s.

oldboots
28-09-2013, 20:56

The first 3 beers would qualify as Craft to me ....

Brilliant stuff guys; can we have an argument about WTF a craft beer is? :evilgrin:

Spinko lad where art thou?

NickDavies
29-09-2013, 12:22
Brilliant stuff guys; can we have an argument about WTF a craft beer is? :evilgrin:

As quoted widely now from http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-cask-report-shows-how-cask-ale.html, including in this month's Wot's Bruin:

"Awareness of ‘craft’ is not as widespread among consumers as it is in the industry. 77% of licensees are aware of craft beer, but only 37% of drinkers (this rises to 47% among cask ale drinkers). Those who are aware of it believe it denotes quality and is worth paying more for, and consider most cask ale to be ‘craft’."

Whatever those who coined the term meant it to mean, and whatever many CAMRA types think it means, Joe Public think it includes cask beer. When stuff like GK IPA is branded 'craft' it is surely time for the purists to throw in the towel and think of some other description for stuff that includes keykeg from two barrel plants but doesn't include 'boring brown bitter' from big corporates.

Aqualung
29-09-2013, 13:48
As quoted widely now from http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-cask-report-shows-how-cask-ale.html, including in this month's Wot's Bruin:

"Awareness of ‘craft’ is not as widespread among consumers as it is in the industry. 77% of licensees are aware of craft beer, but only 37% of drinkers (this rises to 47% among cask ale drinkers). Those who are aware of it believe it denotes quality and is worth paying more for, and consider most cask ale to be ‘craft’."

Whatever those who coined the term meant it to mean, and whatever many CAMRA types think it means, Joe Public think it includes cask beer. When stuff like GK IPA is branded 'craft' it is surely time for the purists to throw in the towel and think of some other description for stuff that includes keykeg from two barrel plants but doesn't include 'boring brown bitter' from big corporates.

I have to agree, "Craft" beer seems to be evolving into "normal" beer. A year ago a Black IPA would have been looked upon as a "Craft" beer, but now they seem to crop up everywhere, and a good thing too. If this trend continues then maybe in a few years time "boring brown bitter" will become a highly sought after drink and gain the "Craft" tag.

Wittenden
29-09-2013, 14:26
I have to agree, "Craft" beer seems to be evolving into "normal" beer. A year ago a Black IPA would have been looked upon as a "Craft" beer, but now they seem to crop up everywhere, and a good thing too. If this trend continues then maybe in a few years time "boring brown bitter" will become a highly sought after drink and gain the "Craft" tag.

What doesn't get mentioned in this "debate" is the fact that "craft beer" is very much a metropolitan phenomemon:the sort of country pubs that I frequent stock Harvey's Sussex Best, Old Dairy beers,or maybe Sheps.The most extreme beer seems to be Dark Star Hophead. Not that I'm complaining.If I wanted anything more exciting I'd need to go to that London or up North and be prepared to pay through the nose, and drink with people with ironic facial hair and silly hats. Anyway, I'm not going to drink keg...

Al 10000
29-09-2013, 15:29
Why not call it Expensive Keg,then everbody will know what they are getting,a pint of *ucking expensive keg beer,thats what the brewdog boys call it.

Aqualung
29-09-2013, 15:55
What doesn't get mentioned in this "debate" is the fact that "craft beer" is very much a metropolitan phenomemon:the sort of country pubs that I frequent stock Harvey's Sussex Best, Old Dairy beers,or maybe Sheps.The most extreme beer seems to be Dark Star Hophead. Not that I'm complaining.If I wanted anything more exciting I'd need to go to that London or up North and be prepared to pay through the nose, and drink with people with ironic facial hair and silly hats. Anyway, I'm not going to drink keg...

Have you not come across Kent Brewery Enigma? That's a very good cask Black IPA and was the same price as any other beer of 5-5.5% strength in the pub I tried it (£3.60 less 10% CAMRA discount).

Dark Star are arguably the blueprint for "Craft" beers. I remember trying their Expresso Stout for the first time about 10 or 15 years ago and thinking how incredible it was.

Keykeg is off limits for me now after the prices in the William IV rocketed. I wouldn't go near Brewdog unless it was on offer in a supermarket.

trainman
29-09-2013, 16:49
...pubs that I frequent stock Harvey's Sussex Best, Old Dairy beers...

Where are these havens Wittenden? Preferably nr a train station and with a dartboard?

ps. I've been to Hoodens (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16744/), liked it, but not returned yet, tho I will.

Wittenden
29-09-2013, 18:44
[QUOTE=Aqualung;58842]Have you not come across Kent Brewery Enigma? That's a very good cask Black IPA and was the same price as any other beer of 5-5.5% strength in the pub I tried it (£3.60 less 10% CAMRA discount).

I'm afraid I haven't seen it, though I have yet to find a Kent Brewery beer that I really enjoy. Session Pale Ale is probably the most to my taste.
Train Man: I'm not very well up on public transport-nearest bus two miles away and not regular (and hellish expensive) and railway station 5 miles, via above bus! Will give it some thought.

pintplease
13-10-2013, 00:18
945 JDW prices up again, as from 9th October Guest ales at the spoons I use in Leeds have increased by 6p per pint to 2.55.
I have heard that in other towns and cities there has been no increase, is this true ? Last year in the same pub they slapped on a 40p increase.

Aqualung
13-10-2013, 10:35
945 JDW prices up again, as from 9th October Guest ales at the spoons I use in Leeds have increased by 6p per pint to 2.55.
I have heard that in other towns and cities there has been no increase, is this true ? Last year in the same pub they slapped on a 40p increase.

That's more expensive than most London Suburb Spoons. Is it a blanket £2.55 or do they have standard guests (4.9% and less), premium guests (5.0% to 5.5%) etc? Some of the guests in the cheaper Spoons have been only £1.99 this summer and the one in Chingford is advertising festival ales FROM £1.99.

I went to the Skylark in Croydon recently and all bar one of the guests were £2.80. I could see no justification at all for it being that expensive.

trainman
13-10-2013, 10:46
Prices in the George (Croydon) & Wibbas Down (Wimbledon) seem to be a moving target somewhere between £2.20 & £2.55, but always good value and great choice.
On Friday, at Postal Order (Crystal Palace), I had Hawkshead 5-Hop (5%) £2.35 (£1.85 with voucher), and Darkstar APA (4.7%) £2.65 (>£2.15)

Farway
13-10-2013, 13:31
Seems no big change here, this lunchtime I had an excellent pint of Old Naval Custom (http://www.oakleafbrewing.co.uk/special.html) from Oakleaf brewery in the Denmead Queen (JD Weatherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/75431/) at £2.15

Aqualung
13-10-2013, 16:07
Prices in the George (Croydon) & Wibbas Down (Wimbledon) seem to be a moving target somewhere between £2.20 & £2.55, but always good value and great choice.
On Friday, at Postal Order (Crystal Palace), I had Hawkshead 5-Hop (5%) £2.35 (£1.85 with voucher), and Darkstar APA (4.7%) £2.65 (>£2.15)

I think the Premium guests in the George are £2.65, which is what I paid for the 5 hop there. This is more expensive than most suburban Spoons, 30p dearer than your example. Last time I was there the pints were £2.80, but they were not Standard guests and they were on the strong side. Dark Star and Locale beers tend to be dearer than the Standard guests off the latest list, but typically it would be the Premium guest price applied if it were a beer of less than 5% ABV. Why the inferior Skylark has nearly everything at £2.80 is a mystery to me.
I was in the Hailsham George on Saturday and the Dark Star prices had gone DOWN from £2.65 to £2.40.
I was told in the summer that there would be a price review in October, so maybe they've gone up for a few really busy ones and the odd quieter one has come down.

london calling
13-10-2013, 17:03
I noticed the guy in front of me at the Shakespears Head Holborn paid £3.55 for a pint of London pride.

Aqualung
13-10-2013, 17:21
I noticed the guy in front of me at the Shakespears Head Holborn paid £3.55 for a pint of London pride.

London Pride and ESB are always expensive. Adnam's "uninvited guests" are invariably the same price as the official guests and in my book are just as good if not better than Fuller's. I got four bottles of Honey Dew from Tesco this week for a fiver, so Fuller's are clearly on the make. Their pubs are all on my Avoid list.

london calling
13-10-2013, 20:41
London Pride and ESB are always expensive. Adnam's "uninvited guests" are invariably the same price as the official guests and in my book are just as good if not better than Fuller's. I got four bottles of Honey Dew from Tesco this week for a fiver, so Fuller's are clearly on the make. Their pubs are all on my Avoid list.

Tesco loss leader?

Aqualung
13-10-2013, 23:33
Tesco loss leader?

I think that highly unlikely as there were loads of different bottles at 4 for a fiver including ESB. I went for that one as I had never tried it before and wasn't overly impressed.

Farway
14-10-2013, 12:42

Blooming 'eck, that is 20p more than in my local Fuller's pubs

NickDavies
14-10-2013, 15:16
Blooming 'eck, that is 20p more than in my local Fuller's pubs

Market forces innit. They charge as much as they can get. Pride is astonishingly popular. Even in my nearest GBG pub you see more Pride going over the counter than anything else and that's despite an ever changing selection of usually local guests.

london calling
14-10-2013, 16:36
I think that highly unlikely as there were loads of different bottles at 4 for a fiver including ESB. I went for that one as I had never tried it before and wasn't overly impressed.

That's £1.04 before vat, I find it hard to believe that brewers could and would sell bottled beer to Tesco for much less than this.

Aqualung
14-10-2013, 18:24
That's £1.04 before vat, I find it hard to believe that brewers could and would sell bottled beer to Tesco for much less than this.

Actually it's £1.00 before VAT and the duty on a 6% 500ml beer must be around 60p. The price for a single bottle is £1.97 so four for a fiver is a substantial reduction. I don't buy into the theory that they are selling them at a loss, but they probably only make a few pence per bottle. Four for a fiver is rare nowadays, I don't think I've seen it since last Xmas.

£1.97 for a 500ml bottle is the equivalent of £2.24 a pint which isn't that different to what the cheapest Spoons charge!

The cheapest item in Tesco that isn't just water is their own brand 4.8% premium lager which is £2.99 for 4x440ml cans. This is a disgusting concoction brewed by Tennents in Scotland.

hondo
18-10-2013, 09:40
"Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate into what could be the country's biggest pub"

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Pavilion-UK-s-biggest-pub/story-19953817-detail/story.html#axzz2i45THC9D

Aqualung
18-10-2013, 23:53
"Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate into what could be the country's biggest pub"

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Pavilion-UK-s-biggest-pub/story-19953817-detail/story.html#axzz2i45THC9D

I went to the Wibbas Down in Wimbledon yesterday that makes most Spoons look like micro bars.

pintplease
21-10-2013, 00:26
JDW, Winter Seam in Castleford, Guest Ales £2.29 a pint.

hondo
27-11-2013, 09:25
"The Watford-based company has purchased"
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2013/11/wetherspoon-buys-first-eire-pub/

NickDavies
07-12-2013, 08:34
http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Historic-pub-calls-time

All Wetherspoon's fault.....but then again Punch Taverns are involved. Anyone have local knowledge?

trainman
08-12-2013, 13:13
http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Historic-pub-calls-time

All Wetherspoon's fault.....but then again Punch Taverns are involved. Anyone have local knowledge?
And the BBC is now seeking a new venue for the Christmas Party!

oldboots
10-12-2013, 15:27
not only 900 pubs

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JD-Wetherspoon-to-open-900th-site?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29

but a best loo award too

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Wetherspoon-scoops-best-loo-awards?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29

Alesonly
10-12-2013, 17:53
not only 900 pubs

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JD-Wetherspoon-to-open-900th-site?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+(MorningAdvertiser+All+News)

but a best loo award too

http://www.morningadt thatsvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Wetherspoon-scoops-best-loo-awards?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+(MorningAdvertiser+All+News) (http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Wetherspoon-scoops-best-loo-awards?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+(MorningAdvertiser+All+News))
Thats excelent news for me a spoons in staggering distance of home I live in queens ave makeva change to have a decent pint in the area again

hondo
11-12-2013, 07:44
"British pub chain looking to establish itself in the"
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/wetherspoon-in-talks-to-buy-swords-pub-1.1623625

Quinno
11-12-2013, 12:19
Spoons have stopped stocking French mustard. This saddens me as it was my condiment of choice for the pre-crawl breakfast.

Farway
11-12-2013, 14:56
Spoons have stopped stocking French mustard. This saddens me as it was my condiment of choice for the pre-crawl breakfast.

Maybe write to Tim? He seems to listen & does change things back or improve, more veggie meals for instance, lower calories etc

NickDavies
11-12-2013, 15:16
Maybe write to Tim? He seems to listen & does change things back or improve, more veggie meals for instance, lower calories etc

ah the calories. That always amuses me, the calories of every dish listed down to the last calorie. Do they weigh everything that comes out of the kitchen to ensure spot on accuracy, I wonder, for those obsessives who pick a dish with seven calories (in say 700) fewer than another, despite the fact it may have dozens of calories more. Counting plated meals in multiples of less than 50kcal is a nonsense.

Farway
11-12-2013, 16:15
ah the calories. That always amuses me, the calories of every dish listed down to the last calorie. Do they weigh everything that comes out of the kitchen to ensure spot on accuracy, I wonder, for those obsessives who pick a dish with seven calories (in say 700) fewer than another, despite the fact it may have dozens of calories more. Counting plated meals in multiples of less than 50kcal is a nonsense.

Agreed, but it is a guide, like those on the ready meals or tins of food, so one can hopefully choose a lower cal option if wanted

hondo
23-12-2013, 12:58
"£1m is to be spent refurbishing one of Beverley’s"
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Wetherspoon-takes-Beverley-s-popular-Cross-Keys/story-20349755-detail/story.html

Aqualung
08-01-2014, 13:39
A repeat of last year's event kicks off next week in SE London. They run from Mon-Fri at fortnightly intervals between now and mid March. There are 20 beers from 10 London breweries plus a couple of boring bottles from Fuller's and Twickenham.

The ten breweries are Portobello, Sambrook's, Cronx, Truman's, Belleville, By The Horns, Clarence & Frederick's, ELB, Hop Stuff and London Fields. I reckon around half of the beers are new to me and the most interesting one would seem to be Portobello Apache at 7%.

The areas and dates are as follows:-

SE 13 Jan - 17 Jan
E/NE 27 Jan - 31 Jan
NW 10 Feb - 14 Feb
W/SW 24 Feb - 28 Feb
Central 10 Mar - 14 Mar

oldboots
28-01-2014, 19:59
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Pub-Food/JD-Wetherspoon-wins-most-nutritious-breakfast-award?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29

ETA
28-01-2014, 21:29
and breakfast's even healthier if you wash it down with a pint of cask conditioned beer (yeast, hops and barley must count as 3 of your 5-a-day).

Farway
29-01-2014, 13:12
And if you smother it tomato ketchup there is another one of the five a day

I know it comes with grilled toms, but I also notice nearly everyone leaves them, and FWIW also do same in Morrison's near me, leave tom on plate that is

NickDavies
11-02-2014, 09:44
Why do so many people call Wetherspoon's "Witherspoon's"?

Farway
11-02-2014, 12:13

Presumably for same reason some call a hamster "Hampster", chimney "chimbley" nuclear "nucular" or nuwkerlear"

They are unaware of how to pronounce it

oldboots
13-02-2014, 16:15
http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/02/spoons-gets-crafty.html

They* said this would mean critical mass had been achieved if it means all / most spoons.

*The blogosphere in general.

Mobyduck
13-02-2014, 16:41
http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/02/spoons-gets-crafty.html

They* said this would mean critical mass had been achieved if it means all / most spoons.

*The blogosphere in general.
Awesome. :whistle:

ETA
21-02-2014, 06:42

Presumably because that's how many of their customers, the toothless old winos that some branches seem to attract, eat their food?

ETA
21-02-2014, 07:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25826637?ocid=socialflow_facebook_bbcnews

Only just saw this, so apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere.

If this takes off, we can see the birth of the 100 mile pub crawl.

hondo
21-02-2014, 08:06
http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/admin-generated/podium/ale-festival-2013-247.pdf?t=1392973472

Farway
21-02-2014, 12:12
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25826637?ocid=socialflow_facebook_bbcnews

Only just saw this, so apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere.

If this takes off, we can see the birth of the 100 mile pub crawl.

Oh, do keep up at the back :)

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81317/

hondo
27-02-2014, 07:40
"by naming the soon"
http://www.morleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/wetherspoons-to-honour-ernie-wise-with-pub-name-1-6464336

Quinno
06-03-2014, 08:45
Now selling Brew Dog - how punk!

Aqualung
06-03-2014, 09:03
Now selling Brew Dog - how punk!

I asked about the Sixpoint cans yesterday. In a pub where a standard cask guest ale is £2.05 and a premium guest £2.20 they are charging £2.89 for a 330ml can. At this point my eyes glazed over and I ordered a pint of Snecklifter. I also wonder if they are actually imported from America or come from Southwold.

oldboots
06-03-2014, 13:20
I also wonder if they are actually imported from America or come from Southwold.

Brooklyn allegedly

Bucking Fastard
06-03-2014, 15:06
Probably the best place for the Heineken

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/News/Disabled-toilet-at-Wetherspoon-pub-The-Six-Templars-in-Hertford-is-filled-with-beer-kegs-20140306090654.htm

Front page news in our local rag.

hondo
13-03-2014, 09:23
Probably the best place for the Heineken

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/News/Disabled-toilet-at-Wetherspoon-pub-The-Six-Templars-in-Hertford-is-filled-with-beer-kegs-20140306090654.htm

Front page news in our local rag.
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/News/Wetherspoon-pub-The-Six-Templars-in-Hertford-apologises-for-storing-beer-kegs-in-disabled-toilet-20140313100000.htm

Aqualung
13-03-2014, 11:50
They would not dream of doing that to toilets for able-bodied people, who also might complain about it being an unhygienic place to store beer.

Thoughts of Becky's Dive Bar in the 1970s spring to mind.

hondo
14-03-2014, 12:36
"a social stigma"
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/wetherspoons-is-no-hit-on-the-m40-9192570.html

hondo
14-03-2014, 12:49
"by naming the soon"
http://www.morleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/wetherspoons-to-honour-ernie-wise-with-pub-name-1-6464336

http://www.morleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/name-change-for-town-s-wetherspoon-1-6499763

Aqualung
14-04-2014, 17:19
I don't know if this is Nationwide but two of my local Spoons are doing Standard guests at £1.85 rather than £2.05 on Mondays (or £1.99 today as they still have festival ales on). I won't find out until the fest ales run out whether the discount includes premium guests.

hondo
03-06-2014, 10:56
“Wetherspoon has exchanged on a site in Victoria Street, conditional on planning and licensing.”
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/anger-as-wetherspoons-eyes-khushi-s-old-fire-site-1-3430003

hondo
01-07-2014, 09:22
"the price point sought by Diageo for the famous"
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/guinness-pulled-from-menu-at-wetherspoon-s-blackrock-pub-1.1850415

aleandhearty
01-07-2014, 10:00
"the price point sought by Diageo for the famous"
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/guinness-pulled-from-menu-at-wetherspoon-s-blackrock-pub-1.1850415

Personally, I think Beamish is a much better drink, anyway.

Aqualung
01-07-2014, 13:19
Personally, I think Beamish is a much better drink, anyway.

So do I, it's easily my favourite of the three. I have a vague recollection of Guinness having a go at Spoons way back because they thought they were selling it too cheap. I thought there was a law againts companies dictating to retailers the price they should sell their products.

I wonder if they'll be selling the wonderful Smithwick's, one of the poorest beers I've ever tried.

aleandhearty
02-07-2014, 13:50
I wonder if they'll be selling the wonderful Smithwick's, one of the poorest beers I've ever tried.

Ah, yes. Makes John Smith's Smoothflow look like Kirkstall Dissolution IPA.

hondo
09-07-2014, 12:47
"said the pubs most affected will be the"
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/wetherspoon-cuts-back-on-islington-late-nights-9594267.html

Farway
09-07-2014, 12:55
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/wetherspoon-cuts-back-on-islington-late-nights-9594267.html

Here's a thought, why not up the prices after midnight to cover the policing levy?

hondo
09-07-2014, 13:12
Here's a thought, why not up the prices after midnight to cover the policing levy?

can you imagine the queues at the bar as it gets close to midnight

Al 10000
09-07-2014, 17:05

This is probably the thin end of the wedge,

The coppers are talking about doing this in Nottingham,proper drinking pubs like Langtrys who stay open to 12.30 on a weekend will no doubt close at 12.00 to avoid to penalty payment.
Once the coppers get their teeth into this the hours will gradually come down,so publicans will have to pay after 10.00 for example.

I do think we are living a police state,things will only get worse for drinkers.

End of rant

PS ,First one for quite a while

Alesonly
09-07-2014, 17:28
The easy answer to this problem would be for the councils to change the wording of the document that apply's the levy. It should be changed to include only licensed premises with live entertainment or Music like night clubs strip clubs casinos Ect and clubs where people have to pay to enter. Not quirt Pubs & restaurants selling food & alcohol.

Aqualung
09-07-2014, 17:36
This is probably the thin end of the wedge,

The coppers are talking about doing this in Nottingham,proper drinking pubs like Langtrys who stay open to 12.30 on a weekend will no doubt close at 12.00 to avoid to penalty payment.
Once the coppers get their teeth into this the hours will gradually come down,so publicans will have to pay after 10.00 for example.

I do think we are living a police state,things will only get worse for drinkers.

End of rant

PS ,First one for quite a while

Maybe we would see the return of "afters" and the lock in. I doubt that Spoons would do it but I'm sure smaller pubs would.

I assume the time quoted is the time they stop serving. All they need to do is give an hour's drinking up time.

ETA
10-07-2014, 11:41
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wetherspoon-confirmed-location-second-dublin-pub-133954976.html#lFXhARC

Wetherspoon's second pub in ROI.

london calling
07-08-2014, 20:15
Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks and the one in the shopping centre Finchley rd has also closed due to a rent increase.

Aqualung
07-08-2014, 20:45
Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks and the one in the shopping centre Finchley rd has also closed due to a rent increase.

There was a post on the other site at the end of June (six weeks ago now) saying it would close soon and revert to being a cinema. I get the impression that this talk has been going on for over five years. If Spoons own the freehold then thay will only sell it if it's not making enough money. I've only been there morning or early afternoon so am in no position to judge that.
The Finchley Road one closed a few months ago. It's not one I would ever have returned to so it's no loss to me. It was in a modern shopping centre and was expensive.

There have been on and off rumours about the Drum in Leyton closing for over 15 years now.

Aqualung
18-08-2014, 19:06
Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks.

Having looked further into this it seems there may be some truth in it. It would seem that Spoons days are numbered here but I don't think there is an official timescale. Apparently Spoons are only leasing the building and it will not be renewed.
A not too serious local website sent someone down there to gauge the reaction of locals. I thought this was the best one :-

Robert, 38: A cinema? The gentrification brigade will love it, but you can’t get shit-faced in a cinema, can you. They haven’t thought this through.

Real Ale Ray
22-08-2014, 11:09
Is this the cheapest pint of real ale in the country? On our recent visit to the Red Lion in Bedlington, Northumberland, I paid £1.85 a pint. The Red Lion (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30386/)

Pubsignman
22-08-2014, 11:44
Nope - OBB for £1.34 here - Victoria Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60721/)

The North East definitely has some good value beer though - a year and a half ago I got a pint in The Ward Jackson (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56308/) for £1.29.

london calling
23-08-2014, 00:24
Is this the cheapest pint of real ale in the country? On our recent visit to the Red Lion in Bedlington, Northumberland, I paid £1.85 a pint. The Red Lion (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30386/)
RaY, you should have said the cheapest pint of decent beer.Thats a stupid price for beer.the wholesale price for beer is about £70 a firkin so £1 a pint . the good brewers charge £80 to £100 a firkin .Wetherspoon can only charge that price because they are subsidised by the London pubs that are charging over £3 a pint.I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.

Aqualung
23-08-2014, 12:08
RaY, you should have said the cheapest pint of decent beer.Thats a stupid price for beer.the wholesale price for beer is about £70 a firkin so £1 a pint . the good brewers charge £80 to £100 a firkin .Wetherspoon can only charge that price because they are subsidised by the London pubs that are charging over £3 a pint.I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.

I'm afraid your theory about London Spoons subsidising all the other UK ones just doesn't add up. According to the latest Spoons directory there are just 19 Central London outlets. Surely you can't seriously be suggesting that the charging of a quid a pint on average more than other Spoons is enough to subsidise the prices in the remaining 881?
Spoons aren't being predatory here, they are just joining in with the rest of the gang and taking advantage of a captive market of workers and tourists who either don't realise or don't care about the fact they are being right royally ripped off.

Mobyduck
23-08-2014, 19:39
I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.
I just hate Wetherspoon's :evilgrin:

london calling
23-08-2014, 20:23
I'm afraid your theory about London Spoons subsidising all the other UK ones just doesn't add up. According to the latest Spoons directory there are just 19 Central London outlets. Surely you can't seriously be suggesting that the charging of a quid a pint on average more than other Spoons is enough to subsidise the prices in the remaining 881?
Spoons aren't being predatory here, they are just joining in with the rest of the gang and taking advantage of a captive market of workers and tourists who either don't realise or don't care about the fact they are being right royally ripped off.
No you are right the figures dont add up but can Wetherspoons justify £1.85 a pint in Bedlington and £3 + in London.

rpadam
24-08-2014, 09:13
No you are right the figures dont add up but can Wetherspoons justify £1.85 a pint in Bedlington and £3 + in London.
How about higher wages and (particularly) vastly higher commercial rents in London compared with Bedlington or Hartlepool?

trainman
24-08-2014, 10:13
I heard yesterday that the Grape & Grain (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65893/) is to become a spoons in a couple of years. Something of a shame that, after the efforts put into the place by current management, saving it from the awful previous incarnation of Jack Beards.
Also, there is already a nearby spoons presence at the Postal Order (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65886/), just the other side of 'the triangle'...

london calling
24-08-2014, 19:59
How about higher wages and (particularly) vastly higher commercial rents in London compared with Bedlington or Hartlepool?

I doubt that Wetherrspoons pay higher wages In London.I was in a new Wetherspoons In Ilfracombe this week that cost £3.5 million which is more than they will have paid for any of their London pubs and although I didnt check the prices I would imagine its priced to undercut the local pubs.

rpadam
24-08-2014, 20:55
I doubt that Wetherrspoons pay higher wages In London.I was in a new Wetherspoons In Ilfracombe this week that cost £3.5 million which is more than they will have paid for any of their London pubs and although I didnt check the prices I would imagine its priced to undercut the local pubs.
I really don't think the first or second comment is remotely correct, but I would certainly agree about the 'spoons business model behind the third (and this applies in Central London as much as anywhere else, and hence my disagreement about the "right royally ripped off" claim...).

london calling
24-08-2014, 22:18
I really don't think the first or second comment is remotely correct, but I would certainly agree about the 'spoons business model behind the third (and this applies in Central London as much as anywhere else, and hence my disagreement about the "right royally ripped off" claim...).T
The Penderel Oak Holborn are looking for full time bar staff early mornings, late nights and weekend working £6.45 an hour. Outside London Wetherspoon pay £6.35. If you are under 21 about a £1 less.

Aqualung
25-08-2014, 08:48

High rents and rates is the argument that breweries and pub companies have been trotting out to justify their excessive Central London prices since the year dot. In the days of the Big Six breweries the majority of the pubs were owned by them and the prices were still a rip-off. If there was any truth in the lame high rents excuse then Sam Smiths wouldn't be able to sell their OBB at under £3.00 a pint.

It seems to have spread to Leeds as well where I was recently caught out with a £4.00 pint at the Leeds Brewery Tap.

london calling
27-08-2014, 20:13
I have just receive my Wetherspoon vouchers which I normally bin but if anyone wants them let me know your address and I will post them. Incidentlly I have just realised I have private messages on here so sorry if I have not replied to them.

oldboots
25-09-2014, 07:29
Wetherspoons Autumn 2014 Festival Beer list

1) Ian Ramsay's Village Elder 3.8% (brewed at Everards)
2) Bath Prophecy 3.9%
3) Shepherd Neame Whitstable Bay Pale Ale 3.9%
4) Brew Moon Antipodean Ale 4.0 (brewed at Hook Norton)
5) Exmoor Antler 4.0%
6) Black Sheep Reaper 4.1%
7) Marstons Oyster Stout 4.1%
8) Bank's Botanical Beer 4.2%
9) Innis & Gun Edinburgh Pale Ale 4.2%
10) J W Lees John Willes 100 4.2%
11) Liberation American Brown Ale 4.2%
12) Morland Old Hoppy Hen 4.2%
13) Theakstons Masham Four & Twenty 4.2%
14) Batemans Colonel's Whiskers 4.3%
15) Butcome Crimson King 4.3%
16) Cotleigh Uncle Sams Hop Burst 4.3%
17) Rooster's Union Gap 4.3%
18) Evan Evans Artisan Cluster Nut 4.4%
19) Strathaven Fiery Cauldron 4.4%
20) Tring Hazy Hoedown 4.4%
21) Two Birds Golden Ale 4.4% (brewed at Banks's)
22) Harviestoun Old Engine Oil 4.5%
23) Maxim The Simcoe Kid 4.5%
24) Okell's IPA 4.5%
25) Vale Metamorphosis 4.5%
26) White Horse Camarillo 4.5%
27) Arundel Autumn Breeze 4.6%
28) Brouwerij't ISA 4.6% (Brewed at Caledonian)
29) Moorhouses Black Cat Reserve 4.6%
30) Adnams 1659 Smoked Ruby Beer 4.7%
31) Hook Norton Chinook Gold 4.7%
32) Thwaites Hobnobber 4.7%
33) Banks & Taylor Hitchin Old Dark 4.8%
34) Birrifico Lambrate Ligeria 4.8% (Brewed at Martstons)
35) Oakham Great Gustav 4.5%
36) Coach House Toffee Bitter 5.0%
37) Everards Tiger Triple Gold 5.0%
38) Long Man Golden Tipple 5.0%
39) Mordue Americana 5.0%
40) 10 Barrel O.G IPA 5.0%
41) Titanic Hop Abroad 5.0%
42) Wadworth Heather & Honey 5.0%
43) Oakleaf Blakes Gosport Bitter 5.2%
44) Brewsters Brewers Dozen 5.5%
45) Caledonian Trojan Horse 5.5%
46) Sixpoint BKLYN Bitter 5.5% (Brewed at Adnams)
47) Woodforde's Phoeinix IPA 5.5%
48) Abbaye Du Val-Dieu Abbaye Blonde 6.0 (Brewed at Shepherd Neame)
49) Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale 6.5% (Brewed at Wychwood)
50) Wicked Weed Freak of Nature 7.5% (Brewed at Batemans)

aleandhearty
25-09-2014, 16:34
Wetherspoons Autumn 2014 Festival Beer list

1) Ian Ramsay's Village Elder 3.8% (brewed at Everards)
2) Bath Prophecy 3.9%
3) Shepherd Neame Whitstable Bay Pale Ale 3.9%
4) Brew Moon Antipodean Ale 4.0 (brewed at Hook Norton)
5) Exmoor Antler 4.0%
6) Black Sheep Reaper 4.1%
7) Marstons Oyster Stout 4.1%
8) Bank's Botanical Beer 4.2%
9) Innis & Gun Edinburgh Pale Ale 4.2%
10) J W Lees John Willes 100 4.2%
11) Liberation American Brown Ale 4.2%
12) Morland Old Hoppy Hen 4.2%
13) Theakstons Masham Four & Twenty 4.2%
14) Batemans Colonel's Whiskers 4.3%
15) Butcome Crimson King 4.3%
16) Cotleigh Uncle Sams Hop Burst 4.3%
17) Rooster's Union Gap 4.3%
18) Evan Evans Artisan Cluster Nut 4.4%
19) Strathaven Fiery Cauldron 4.4%
20) Tring Hazy Hoedown 4.4%
21) Two Birds Golden Ale 4.4% (brewed at Banks's)
22) Harviestoun Old Engine Oil 4.5%
23) Maxim The Simcoe Kid 4.5%
24) Okell's IPA 4.5%
25) Vale Metamorphosis 4.5%
26) White Horse Camarillo 4.5%
27) Arundel Autumn Breeze 4.6%
28) Brouwerij't ISA 4.6% (Brewed at Caledonian)
29) Moorhouses Black Cat Reserve 4.6%
30) Adnams 1659 Smoked Ruby Beer 4.7%
31) Hook Norton Chinook Gold 4.7%
32) Thwaites Hobnobber 4.7%
33) Banks & Taylor Hitchin Old Dark 4.8%
34) Birrifico Lambrate Ligeria 4.8% (Brewed at Martstons)
35) Oakham Great Gustav 4.5%
36) Coach House Toffee Bitter 5.0%
37) Everards Tiger Triple Gold 5.0%
38) Long Man Golden Tipple 5.0%
39) Mordue Americana 5.0%
40) 10 Barrel O.G IPA 5.0%
41) Titanic Hop Abroad 5.0%
42) Wadworth Heather & Honey 5.0%
43) Oakleaf Blakes Gosport Bitter 5.2%
44) Brewsters Brewers Dozen 5.5%
45) Caledonian Trojan Horse 5.5%
46) Sixpoint BKLYN Bitter 5.5% (Brewed at Adnams)
47) Woodforde's Phoeinix IPA 5.5%
48) Abbaye Du Val-Dieu Abbaye Blonde 6.0 (Brewed at Shepherd Neame)
49) Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale 6.5% (Brewed at Wychwood)
50) Wicked Weed Freak of Nature 7.5% (Brewed at Batemans)

Is it just me, or on a first read, does that list look really dull? Seems to be too many nationals and large regionals in there.

Aqualung
25-09-2014, 17:27
Is it just me, or on a first read, does that list look really dull? Seems to be too many nationals and large regionals in there.

That was my first reaction as well. I think I'm right in saying that the only "new wave" brewer is Long Man who I get the impression are quite ambitious. It should be mentioned that the 10 Barrel OG is Wadworth. I don't see how the vast majority of micros can cope with an order for 900 firkins, although not all of the pubs get all 50 beers. According to the GBG Strathaven are a 10 barrel plant (are they new?). It's a shame there are not more colloborations like the Fuller's one last time.
For the last two years London Spoons have had a London mini-festival running around different sections of the city at fortnightly intervals between January and March. Maybe they should have regional rather than national festivals as there are so many pubs.

london calling
25-09-2014, 19:54
Yes looks dull to me.Same old problem they use the bigger brewers because they can supply the quantity and at a rock bottom price.I personally think it shows In a lot of the beers that they just churn out an average beer to fit the price.You will find that few of the beers for the fest are brewed again but Adnams- Ghost Ship was one that was highly rated and is now a regular although I think its been dulled down. Aqualung Strathavon have been around for 10 years and have previously brewed at the fest (I think).

Aqualung
25-09-2014, 20:30
Aqualung Strathavon have been around for 10 years and have previously brewed at the fest (I think).

Yes they have, I recall trying one of their beers in the hideous Green Man at Bank. Thanls for the age of them, so that does mean that Long Man is the only newish brewery. I'm fairly sure I had that Golden Tipple in Eastbourne earlier this year and don't recall it being outstanding. There are breweries on the list that I stilll have faith in, I just hope Bateman's don't stuff up the Double IPA as if I see that going at £1.99 a pint I may stop for a few.

NickDavies
05-10-2014, 17:36
In The Kings Tun (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35936/)

This must be a record - I see Aqualung remarked on it 12 months ago. And there are two more on the ground floor. I didn't venture upstairs.

Al 10000
05-10-2014, 17:44
In The Kings Tun (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35936/)

This must be a record - I see Aqualung remarked on it 12 months ago. And there are two more on the ground floor. I didn't venture upstairs.

I think i have been in nearly 200 Spoons but for the first time heard background music playing in the Baxters Court Hackney.

Is this a new thing or just a one off.

I have been in just under 200 Spoons and for the first time yesterday heard background music playing in the Baxters Court in Hackney.

Is this a new thing or a one off.

NickDavies
05-10-2014, 17:51
I have been in just under 200 Spoons and for the first time yesterday heard background music playing in the Baxters Court in Hackney.

This one had unwatched TVs blaring out motor racing as well. I've seen noisy tellys in other JDWs round here. Down to area managers maybe.

rpadam
05-10-2014, 18:13

Been to about 280 regular 'spoons, and found background music in perhaps five or six of these (more so recently, but they are not in the sort of towns I visit very often so it is difficult to know whether it is a long-standing practice). Similarly for loud TVs showing sports, although the number encountered might be around the 20 mark. Also been to about 50 Lloyds No 1 bars; and, whilst I don't tend to go late on a Friday or Saturday evening, I haven't found background music in any more than a couple during other hours.

It looks like Tim Martin's original total prohibition has been dropped, but it doesn't seem to be very widespread (yet).

Aqualung
05-10-2014, 18:19

It's normally the Lloyds No. 1 pubs that have music playing in the day and louder music in the evening.
I've been to Baxter's Court a few times and don't remember music in there, but it certainly needed livening up!
The George at Hailsham has amplified bingo and quiz nights.

oldboots
12-11-2014, 16:45
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JD-Wetherspoon-reveals-poor-drink-sales-at-motorway-site?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29

Alesonly
14-11-2014, 07:49
Not sure if its just me being unlucky or me getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I've found all local Wetherspoons have gone down hill very badly around this area in past few years. The staff seem to have no interest in customers wanting Ale all they want to do is push cheap grub. Often the tables are full of crap and glasses with kids running around uncontrolled plus general house keeping is terrible like trays of glasses taken out of dish washer and just left on floor behind bar. Another grip as mentioned TVs blaring out all day. I tend to go in more small local pubs now where you can actually get served without waiting half hour whilst some idiot orders a glass of coke tea and Burger no I have an egg roll on he will have a coffee oh hang on he wants a bacon baguette sod it I give up and walk out again. Wetherspoons seen to have totally lost their way its just like a licensed McDonald's in most now so I try to avoid them if possible. I would sooner pay more and go in a real Pub..

Farway
14-11-2014, 12:35
Not sure if its just me being unlucky or me getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I've found all local Wetherspoons have gone down hill very badly around this area in past few years. The staff seem to have no interest in customers wanting Ale all they want to do is push cheap grub. Often the tables are full of crap and glasses with kids running around uncontrolled plus general house keeping is terrible like trays of glasses taken out of dish washer and just left on floor behind bar. Another grip as mentioned TVs blaring out all day. I tend to go in more small local pubs now where you can actually get served without waiting half hour whilst some idiot orders a glass of coke tea and Burger no I have an egg roll on he will have a coffee oh hang on he wants a bacon baguette sod it I give up and walk out again. Wetherspoons seen to have totally lost their way its just like a licensed McDonald's in most now so I try to avoid them if possible. I would sooner pay more and go in a real Pub..

Same here, but I am a grumpy old fart, luckily nearby is a Fuller's pub, and they have reduced prices to £2 a pint between 10 & 5 Mon to Friday to stay competitive with Wetherspoons, so all us grumpy old farts can put the world right without having to wait whilst coffee, food etc is ordered

Aqualung
14-11-2014, 21:25
While the price difference between Spoons and local "Real" pubs remains between £1.00 and even £2.00 I will keep going with Spoons. In other parts of England and Wales (all outside of Southern England) the differential is much less and in my opinion the good pubs are miles better than anything in London.
A question for Farway, are all the Fuller's beers two quid a pint?

Mobyduck
14-11-2014, 21:53
I never realised Wetherspoons had been uphill. :D Yet another God awful example in Bristol today, obviously popular as there was a 15 metre queue to get to the bar, I didn't feel the urge to join it, I left and went to a proper pub instead.

Alesonly
15-11-2014, 08:59
Well my nearest Spoons is the The Tally Ho (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25591/) at north Finchley terrible dump just across road is the Elephant Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25589/) a Fullers pub miles better yes its more expensive but the difference in staffing service cleanliness and quality of Ale more than make up for it in my opinion.

NickDavies
15-11-2014, 09:14
Well my nearest Spoons is the The Tally Ho (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25591/) at north Finchley terrible dump just across road is the Elephant Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25589/) a Fullers pub miles better yes its more expensive but the difference in staffing service cleanliness and quality of Ale more than make up for it in my opinion.

Exactly - the only time I might actively seek out a Wetherspoon is for breakfast, and only then if there isn't a decent looking caff around. But to use as a pub it's almost always a distress purchase - either no other choice or overwhelmed by group democracy - and almost always regretted due to the sheer energy sapping awfulness of it all, from the abysmal service to the sticky tables to the screaming kids. I'd much rather enjoy a £4 pint professionally served in civilised surroundings.

Farway
15-11-2014, 12:50
While the price difference between Spoons and local "Real" pubs remains between £1.00 and even £2.00 I will keep going with Spoons. In other parts of England and Wales (all outside of Southern England) the differential is much less and in my opinion the good pubs are miles better than anything in London.
A question for Farway, are all the Fuller's beers two quid a pint?

All the beers and keg, and spirits / mixers are £2. It is just this particular pub, but all pints in there on weekdays between 10 & 5, including Guinness and the keg lagers are 2 quid, however Fullers are introducing Honeydew, 5% ABV so may try that on Monday

From conversations with other landlords it seems Wetherspoon's is making Fuller's pay attention to pricing in this area, my normal local has reached agreement with Fuller's for the £2 a pint weekday daytimes , not on ales, just some keg stuff & cider

Fuller's being London based somehow thinks we in the real south are country bumpkins and the can charge Mayfair prices dahn 'ere

Aqualung
16-11-2014, 00:03
All the beers and keg, and spirits / mixers are £2. It is just this particular pub, but all pints in there on weekdays between 10 & 5, including Guinness and the keg lagers are 2 quid, however Fullers are introducing Honeydew, 5% ABV so may try that on Monday

From conversations with other landlords it seems Wetherspoon's is making Fuller's pay attention to pricing in this area, my normal local has reached agreement with Fuller's for the £2 a pint weekday daytimes , not on ales, just some keg stuff & cider

Fuller's being London based somehow thinks we in the real south are country bumpkins and the can charge Mayfair prices dahn 'ere

Thanks for that info. I'm glad that Spoons are making Fullers see at least some sense. I remember going on a brewery visit to Fuller's years ago and they said that they wouldn't take on pubs in East London because they don't "understand" Fullers.
I found this remark patronising and offensive. What he really meant was that people in East London aren't prepared to be ripped off.
I was in Sheffield yesterday and found a Spoons selling standard guests at £1.85 a pint which I believe matches Real Ale Ray's one somewhere near Newcastle.

rpadam
16-11-2014, 08:55
Thanks for that info. I'm glad that Spoons are making Fullers see at least some sense. I remember going on a brewery visit to Fuller's years ago and they said that they wouldn't take on pubs in East London because they don't "understand" Fullers.
I found this remark patronising and offensive. What he really meant was that people in East London aren't prepared to be ripped off.
I was in Sheffield yesterday and found a Spoons selling standard guests at £1.85 a pint which I believe matches Real Ale Ray's one somewhere near Newcastle.
Two of the 'spoons in Newport (the South Wales one) were selling standard guest beers at £1.80 yesterday...

Aqualung
16-11-2014, 09:33
Two of the 'spoons in Newport (the South Wales one) were selling standard guest beers at £1.80 yesterday...
Could there be any lower than that?

Bucking Fastard
16-11-2014, 11:28
Could there be any lower than that?

In Market Harborough the 'spoons was knocking out the remnants of the Festival ales at £1.49 per pint last Sunday but I suppose that is a "one off".They also accepted a 'spoons voucher for one of the pints making it a very cheap round for 3 pints !

Aqualung
16-11-2014, 11:59
In Market Harborough the 'spoons was knocking out the remnants of the Festival ales at £1.49 per pint last Sunday but I suppose that is a "one off".They also accepted a 'spoons voucher for one of the pints making it a very cheap round for 3 pints !
Yes that is a one off as my local Spoons did the same. I've never managed to work out why some Spoons do this and others persevere with them at the full price.

london calling
16-11-2014, 19:42
Yes that is a one off as my local Spoons did the same. I've never managed to work out why some Spoons do this and others perservere with them at the full price.
It may be to do with best before dates on the barrels.The American brewers were across brewing that beer about 2 months ago.

Aqualung
16-11-2014, 21:49
It may be to do with best before dates on the barrels.The American brewers were across brewing that beer about 2 months ago.

I would have thought that was unlikely as they would have made one large batch with all the same dates. I had the Mordue festival ale in Sheffield yesterday and it was fine although I was a bit worse for wear!

Aqualung
25-11-2014, 14:14
After a period with only the odd pub opening here and there they seem to be returning to the South.
There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February. This is in addition to a new one at Brentwood that opened last week and in the next four months ones at Alton, Crowborough, Hoddesdon and Hitchin.

Bucking Fastard
25-11-2014, 19:38
After a period with only the odd pub opening here and there they seem to be returning to the South.
There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February. This is in addition to a new one at Brentwood that opened last week and in the next four months ones at Alton, Crowborough, Hoddesdon and Hitchin.

Hoddesdon is just up the road ,and I will be one of the early adopters ! That town really does need a 'spoons to raise the real ale scene from it's current moribund state.

rpadam
25-11-2014, 23:04
There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February.
Long overdue...

hondo
09-12-2014, 09:19
" Wetherspoon has decided to stop serving "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11281845/Wetherspoon-stops-serving-Heineken-in-a-row-over-supply.html

an_ecumenical_matter
09-12-2014, 10:37
" Wetherspoon has decided to stop serving "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11281845/Wetherspoon-stops-serving-Heineken-in-a-row-over-supply.html

Indeed. Not a good move on Heineken's part as it stops Murphys and Beamish being sold too, and one or two Irish people happen to drink stout.

But what now for the stout drinkers with no Guinness either ???

Of note is that McSpoons stopped stocking Guinness in the UK many years back, it didn't last long though IIRC.

Bucking Fastard
09-12-2014, 17:20
Indeed. Not a good move on Heineken's part as it stops Murphys and Beamish being sold too, and one or two Irish people happen to drink stout.

But what now for the stout drinkers with no Guinness either ???

Of note is that McSpoons stopped stocking Guinness in the UK many years back, it didn't last long though IIRC.

Looks like there is a duopoly in the Irish keg stout market ,and unless 'spoons can unearth an alternative supply (my suggestion would be Titanic Stout ) Tim is probably going to have to back off.

Quinno
09-12-2014, 17:34
Looks like there is a duopoly in the Irish keg stout market ,and unless 'spoons can unearth an alternative supply (my suggestion would be Titanic Stout ) Tim is probably going to have to back off.

You underestimate Mullet Man's tenaciousness...he'll be out to break the duopoly like Thatcher did with the NUM.

As you say, what price JDW sub-contracting a kegged stout order from a brewery like Marstons? Probable. You'd have to be a sniffer dog to tell the difference between most mass-market kegged stouts so an own-brand that retails for 2/3 to 1/2 of the price of the others (and JDW will underwrite a loss on it) will, if brewed to a closely defined standard, mean a lot of punters with lower incomes voting with their wallets, marketing be damned.

rpadam
09-12-2014, 23:03
Controversial, if you don't like Shepherd Neame, but I might ship its Double Stout to show those who have forgotten how it's done how it should be done (although this is, of course, a rubbish idea since us Kentish folk would then loose our supplies...).

oldboots
20-12-2014, 08:50
This might improve the place:

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JD-Wetherspoon-acquires-Head-of-Steam-in-Liverpool?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29

rpadam
20-12-2014, 17:46

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JD-Wetherspoon-acquires-Head-of-Steam-in-Liverpool?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MorningAdvertiser%2FAll-News+%28MorningAdvertiser+All+News%29
Quite!

Mobyduck
20-12-2014, 19:02

It must be currently in a bad way then.:evilgrin:

Aqualung
20-12-2014, 22:12

Tim Martin of Fleurets? Wot dat all about??
I haven't been to Liverpool for years and the only Head of Steam I knew was the Euston one that is now Fullers.

london calling
21-12-2014, 19:04
Tim Martin of Fleurets? Wot dat all about??
I haven't been to Liverpool for years and the only Head of Steam I knew was the Euston one that is now Fullers.
There are others called Tim Martin but usually less gobby.

oldboots
21-12-2014, 19:21

There was quite a chain of them at one time, Newcastle was a particularly good one. The one at Lime St was very good at one time but spiralled down and down becoming a real dump in the end hence it should be better as a 'spoons.

A new HOS under Camerons has just opened in Leeds close to the station and the newly throbbing beer destination of the Boar Lane area.

Pubsignman
21-12-2014, 19:29
Couple of things caught my eye in the latest Wetherspoons News magazine.

1) You can now order any hand pulled ale as the drink to accompany your meal in any of their 'Meal and drink' offers. (I know quite a few pubs were pretty easy going on this front, but many previously insisted you had to have something dross like Ruddles)

2) They are considering 'behind the scenes' tours of their more interesting pubs - the The Opera House (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53107/) in Tunbridge Wells has already held one and the The Coronet (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25495/) in Holloway is set to be the next - I already love the way that pubs give you access to interesting buildings like these, so this is a nice extension of that principle.

Aqualung
21-12-2014, 20:11
You can now order any hand pulled ale as the drink to accompany your meal in any of their 'Meal and drink' offers. (I know quite a few pubs were pretty easy going on this front, but many previously insisted you had to have something dross like Ruddles)

It also includes the newish keg Devil's Backbone IPA which I had with a Flaming Dragon curry last Thursday. It went down a treat!

hondo
22-12-2014, 12:43
"serves two British stout brands - Revisionist and Bath Ales Dark Side, both for €2.50 a pint"
http://www.independent.ie/business/trouble-brewing-over-pub-prices-30848059.html

MikeyBW
22-12-2014, 15:04
In my area Wetherspoons seem to be going from strength to strength and taking over pub after pub. I've got mixed emotions about this. Although the beer prices normally fall and the venue gets a worthwhile re-jig I can't help but think they lose too much character in the process. Can't have the best of both worlds though!

Aqualung
29-12-2014, 14:50
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11316032/JD-Wetherspoon-plans-to-create-15000-jobs-and-open-200-new-pubs.html

Bad news for Moby and those trying to get round all of them!

Mobyduck
29-12-2014, 19:47
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11316032/JD-Wetherspoon-plans-to-create-15000-jobs-and-open-200-new-pubs.html

Bad news for Moby and those trying to get round all of them!

Oh crap.:eek:

Andy Ven
03-01-2015, 20:31
The Wetherspoon's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55027/) in Birmingham with no name (other than Wetherspoon's) has now closed. The whole arcade is to be redeveloped.

bcfczuluarmy
03-01-2015, 20:35
The Wetherspoon's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55027/) in Birmingham with no name (other than Wetherspoon's) has now closed. The whole arcade is to be redeveloped.

Bang goes my post Wetherspoons McDonald's food fill when on the piss in Brum then :(

gillhalfpint
04-01-2015, 07:46
We always called that one the Dog and Blanket as big issue seller usually outside. There was a sentry post shelter and kennel there.

oldboots
04-01-2015, 09:36
Wetherspoons (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55027/) were still answering their phone this morning.

Quinno
05-01-2015, 12:14
Heineken said talks between the companies before Christmas were constructive and that the dispute was over.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/05/wetherspoon-settles-heineken-dispute

Aqualung
05-01-2015, 18:03
Heineken said talks between the companies before Christmas were constructive and that the dispute was over.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/05/wetherspoon-settles-heineken-dispute

I think this dispute has some relevance to my thread where I asked "Why Aren't Beer Prices Coming Down?"

Aqualung
05-01-2015, 18:37
It started today and continues until Thursday 22nd January. Standard guests which seem to be decreasing in my local Spoons are £1.79, Premiums are £1.95 and Super Premiums are £2.10. The regular prices are £2.05, £2.20 and £2.35 and I wouldn't put it past them raising those prices after the sale.

In London soon after on Sunday 25th the annual Spoons mini London festival starts for 7 days in South London. East London is next two weeks after and that's all I know so far.

ROBCamra
06-01-2015, 09:55
Wetherspoons (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55027/) were still answering their phone this morning.

Still live on the website as well.

Aqualung
06-01-2015, 12:49
Still live on the website as well.

Unless someone can get along to ask the staff this (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html) site is the best bet for the most up to date info on Spoons. He reckons he has inside contacts at JDW.

ROBCamra
06-01-2015, 14:21
Unless someone can get along to ask the staff this (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html) site is the best bet for the most up to date info on Spoons. He reckons he has inside contacts at JDW.

And it's open on there as well.

Andy Ven
06-01-2015, 15:56
And it's open on there as well.

I've been past it on Saturday and today. It's definitely closed and the furniture has been removed. The sign on the window directs you to the Figure of Eight and states that if you mention that sign if you go up the road you'll get 20% off your food bill.

The Yardbird next door and the Subside Bar have also gone as part of the redevelopment.

Crossste
08-01-2015, 15:38
Has it already been mentioned i do not seem to to visit here as much as i once did? It looks like the CAMRA vouchers are now redeemable throughout December unless the last quarters vouchers are printed wrongly.

Bucking Fastard
08-01-2015, 16:44
Has it already been mentioned i do not seem to to visit here as much as i once did? It looks like the CAMRA vouchers are now redeemable throughout December unless the last quarters vouchers are printed wrongly.

I have to say mine were not redeemable,which the barmaid pointed out to me on December 2nd :o

oldboots
08-01-2015, 17:39
I have to say mine were not redeemable,which the barmaid pointed out to me on December 2nd :o

I have my new ones and the dates for 2015 are 2 Jan - 31 Mar; 1 Apr - 30 Jun; 1 Jul - 30 Sep; 1 Oct - 31 Dec, so yes they are now valid over Christmas. The design also changes on 1st April and incorporates Real Cider front and back.

There are some changes to the Ts & Cs on the back from 1 April. The more major ones are:-

"Valid at all Wetherspoon pubs and Lloyds No1 bars." is replaced by "Valid at all participating J D Wetherspoon pubs in the United Kingdom" (Lloyds No1 is still on the front though)

"Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" now says "Cannot be used against food-&-drink-combined deals, eg beer & burger or Curry Club."

"Only one voucher per person, per visit" now says "Only one voucher per pint redemption"

The Scottish exemption and the subject to availability and managers discretion parts are combined in " Subject to local licensing restrictions and availability at participating free houses. J D Wetherspoon PLC reserves the right to withdraw/change offers (without notice), at any time"

Finally CAMRA has added a disclaimer about financial liability.

Bucking Fastard
09-01-2015, 08:25
Thanks for the update ob,I will wait for my new vouchers and enjoy using them in December 2015.Glad also they have dropped the one voucher per person per pub visit.2015 is looking up.

gillhalfpint
09-01-2015, 22:24
I have never been challenged if using a second voucher on a visit.

rpadam
09-01-2015, 23:32
Me neither (although I normally only have a quick pint before I'm off to somewhere else)...

Crossste
10-01-2015, 17:09

Or on the 3rd, 4th or 5th. In fact coming to the end of one quarter last year and not having spent one coupon for that period my brother and a myself did all 10 in one session. Sadly i can remember the days i could have done all 10 myself, need a bit of help these days.

Mobyduck
10-01-2015, 17:43
Normally I give my vouchers away (to someone who enjoys JDW) but even when I drag myself into one ,or dragged in kicking and screaming ,I never remember to use the things anyway.

rpadam
10-01-2015, 17:50
Normally I give my vouchers away (to someone who enjoys JDW).
All donations gratefully received!

rpadam
28-01-2015, 22:04
There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February.
On the 10th, according to the banner now out front, and to be found on the east (Platform 1) side.

hondo
29-01-2015, 09:50
interior of The Sawyers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/45244/)

NickDavies
29-01-2015, 13:00
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/South-Norwood-Wetherspoons-closing-despite-advert/story-25937320-detail/story.html#ixzz3Q9tJChJA

The William Stanley (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65920/)

Whatever the truth of it , not one of JDW's finest

Aqualung
15-02-2015, 13:09
The list for the Spring Festival which starts on Friday 13th March can now be found by double clicking the banner on the JDW home page.
Unfortunately it doesn't say where the foreign beers are brewed one of which is an Irish Stout from Ireland. There are two beers calld Boadicea one by Sheps and the orher by RCH. I don't know what that's all about as I always thought the old battleaxe's stomping ground was East Anglia.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/admin-generated/podium/ale-festival-october-13-204.pdf?t=1424009086

Wittenden
15-02-2015, 17:26
The list for the Spring Festival which starts on Friday 13th March can now be found by double clicking the banner on the JDW home page.
Unfortunately it doesn't say where the foreign beers are brewed one of which is an Irish Stout from Ireland. There are two beers calld Boadicea one by Sheps and the orher by RCH. I don't know what that's all about as I always thought the old battleaxe's stomping ground was East Anglia.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/admin-generated/podium/ale-festival-october-13-204.pdf?t=1424009086

I never drink in a 'spoons, so this doesn't really concern me, but what is the point of bringing in "real ale" from the colonies? This country can't do much, if anything now, but one thing we can do is produce damn fine beer.
Boadacea is a grand new hop cultivar: I think the pedantic historians call the wheelbarrow borne battle axe "Boudicca". Anyway, she's buried under platform 9 of King's Cross.

Aqualung
15-02-2015, 18:54
What is the point of bringing in "real ale" from the colonies?

It's not the colonies, it's all over the place and they import the brewer (or at least claim to) rather than the beer and make it at one of the large regionals. They also do a continuing range of International beers outside the festivals, around two a month. I was amazed to recently find a Spanish beer brewed at Adnam's was excellent.

Boadacea is a grand new hop cultivar: I think the pedantic historians call the wheelbarrow borne battle axe "Boudicca". Anyway, she's buried under platform 9 of King's Cross.

Two new facts for me!

Wittenden
15-02-2015, 19:45
It's not the colonies, it's all over the place and they import the brewer (or at least claim to) rather than the beer and make it at one of the large regionals. They also do a continuing range of International beers outside the festivals, around two a month. I was amazed to recently find a Spanish beer brewed at Adnam's was excellent.

Two new facts for me!
Don't necessarily believe me-my archeological stepson doesn't!,but it's a good tale.

Aqualung
15-02-2015, 20:50
Don't necessarily believe me-my archeological stepson doesn't!,but it's a good tale.

One fact and a popular myth then!!

Aqualung
16-02-2015, 20:30
Unfortunately it doesn't say where the foreign beers are brewed one of which is an Irish Stout from Ireland.

The Irish Stout is brewed in er, Wiltshire by Wadworth. I just hope it's a lot better than some of the other "foreign" beers they have brewed for JDW .

Al 10000
21-02-2015, 16:13
How does Wetherspoons pricing policy work.

Me and the wife went in our local Spoons today and had a really nice drink of Grainstore GB at 4.3 % this cost £2.30 a pint,other guest beers including Burton Bridge Golden Delicious were the same price,when i was waiting to be served i noticed that Doom Bar at 4.0% was £2.60 a pint.
Why would anybody want to drink Doom Bar at 30p a pint more than some really nice local guest beers.:confused:

rpadam
21-02-2015, 16:54

Me and the wife went in our local Spoons today and had a really nice drink of Grainstore GB at 4.3 % this cost £2.30 a pint,other guest beers including Burton Bridge Golden Delicious were the same price,when i was waiting to be served i noticed that Doom Bar at 4.0% was £2.60 a pint.
Why would anybody want to drink Doom Bar at 30p a pint more than some really nice local guest beers.:confused:
They do the same down South for those daft enough to buy London Pride in a 'spoons.

Aqualung
22-02-2015, 00:14

Such s simple question! There is no simple answer to it and I've spent so long looking into this that I feel qualified to produce a thesis on it for the Open University!
I'll start with the Doom Bore point, Spoons do three national guests, Pride, Doom Bore and Adnam's Broadside. This is separate from two GK permanent beers and they try to ensure that at least one is available at all times. They take advantage of less knowledgeable beer drinkers by charging more for these (less so with the Adnam's) as they are recognisable "brands" and not "boring dross" (my opinion).
As for guest ales they have three bands loosely based on ABV, Standard , Premium and Super Premium. There is an Ultra Premium but it normally applies to strong ciders (7%+). The yardstick for pricing is the standard guest price. In London the cheapest I know of is £1.99 in Romford but more commonly it is £2.05 minimum. I would regard £2.30 as pricey in London Suburbs but you have to realise that for historical reasons Spoons are generally more concentrated in London than other parts of the UK. Central London Spoons charge silly money (over £3.00) for a standard guest and in my experience they don't look after the beer as well as they do in the suburbs. How is the guest price set? I believe that they will take the price down as low as they can while still covering their costs. When sales pick up they will ramp the price up.
Food prices do vary but it's not as significant as beer prices as most people will only have one meal at a time in a Spoons.
If you're going to eat in a Spoons the Club options are by far the best value as they include a pint of any guest ale so NEVER go for Ruddles Best!
Here are my top two tips for getting a good deal from a Spoons. If you like coffee you can turrn up at opening time (usually 08:00) and order a bog-standard filtered coffee that is typically £1.15 but my local E4 Spoons just charges £0.79.
They have a free refill policy up to 14:00 so in theory you can sit there for six hours drinking gallons of coffee for the price of a single cup.
My second tip is go on a Tuesday for the Steak Club and order the mixed grill with the most expensive guest. The typical price for a mixed grill is £9.70 but for the Steak Club it is more around the £7.00 mark. If the beer is around £2.50 then it means you've got a plate full of lovely chewy meat for under a fiver!

london calling
22-02-2015, 21:23
They do the same down South for those daft enough to buy London Pride in a 'spoons.

Because people actually like Doombar.Its the biggest selling real ale In the country.I personally would have tried the Grainstore .

london calling
22-02-2015, 21:28
I have mentioned before Fullers beer costs more In Wetherspoon,s than the other guest because Fullers refused to sell beer to Wetherspoons at the price Wetherspoons dictate to their suppliers.

Aqualung
22-02-2015, 22:00
Because people actually like Doombar.Its the biggest selling real ale In the country.I personally would have tried the Grainstore .

I would dispute that, people necessarily like it. Often they are given a limited choice due to the cosy ties between the large pubcos and whatever global abomination now backs Sharps brewery. It's the same with any of the large brands from that lot, people just get used to drinking rubbish like Heineken, Guinness or Strongbow so perceive that they "like" it because they never get to try anything better.
They probably think that CAMRA types are all like the Real Ale Twats in Viz in which there may be some truth but I've never mistakenly drunk paint.

It's mostly the marketing clout and the cosy ties that make it Britain's favourite. I expect Britain's biggest selling beer is John Smith's smooth crap.
A large number of Spoons punters drink Ruddles Best, probably attracted initially by the cheap price but then get used to drinking it and don't "like" other beers because they taste different.

Happily my local Spoons is a Doom Bore free zone.

london calling
23-02-2015, 22:49

The Organ Grinder pub is a Blue Monkey pub and I am sure most of us like their beer.They have 8 of their own beers and a guest.I know someone who complained about the guest which now seems to be permanent Doombar.The manager replied that its their second best selling beer.Its not for me but normals actually like it.

Mobyduck
24-02-2015, 05:49
The Organ Grinder pub is a Blue Monkey pub and I am sure most of us like their beer.They have 8 of their own beers and a guest.I know someone who complained about the guest which now seems to be permanent Doombar.The manager replied that its their second best selling beer.Its not for me but normals actually like it.

My local has Doombar every weekend and sells out very quickly , people are very disappointed if its not on.:confused: Luckily there are four or five other beer options.

Aqualung
24-02-2015, 07:57

It might be just the price, some of the BM beers are quite strong making them expensive for the area and of course some people just won't drink stronger beers. When I went to the Loughborough one last Autumn the guest was Bateman's XB which seemed to be generally a popular beer up there and was cheaper then the Blue Monkey beers.
There are a significant number of people who go to the William in Leyton and will only drink the Bethnal Green which is Brodie's only boring brown beer.

london calling
24-02-2015, 20:53
It might be just the price, some of the BM beers are quite strong making them expensive for the area and of course some people just won't drink stronger beers. When I went to the Loughborough one last Autumn the guest was Bateman's XB which seemed to be generally a popular beer up there and was cheaper then the Blue Monkey beers.
There are a significant number of people who go to the William in Leyton and will only drink the Bethnal Green which is Brodie's only boring brown beer.
No its because they like the taste.I had to drink it when I was in Devon this year as practically every pub had it.Its for people who don't like much flavour in their beer.I thought it was rubbish.

Aqualung
24-02-2015, 21:11
No its because they like the taste.I had to drink it when I was in Devon this year as practically every pub had it.Its for people who don't like much flavour in their beer.I thought it was rubbish.
Oh dear, you have my sympathy!! If I were to go to Devon it would be for the cider mostly, and I believe that despite other claims Devon is the cider capital of the UK. I don't know the county that well but it always seemed like that to me!

london calling
24-02-2015, 21:39
Oh dear, you have my sympathy!! If I were to go to Devon it would be for the cider mostly, and I believe that despite other claims Devon is the cider capital of the UK. I don't know the county that well but it always seemed like that to me!
Cider =battery acid to me but I did bring some bottled cider home which was pretty good.I didn't see much cider around other than the commercial stuff.And I didn't see a lot of interesting local beers .Doombar seemed to be the beer of choice .The landlords choice probably.

Aqualung
09-03-2015, 17:37
They've started a new club called Mexican Mondays. I'm glad to say this hasn't replaced Cheapskate Monday where the guests are around 20p a pint cheaper. I have to say I would have preferred a Chinese or Italian club but I might give it a go.
I had my first festival ale today and it was Titanic Wit Stout (5%). It was outstanding and at £1.99 on Cheapskate Monday all the better!

hondo
16-03-2015, 10:41
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JDW-targets-increased-breakfast-sales

Farway
16-03-2015, 12:52
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/JDW-targets-increased-breakfast-sales

More bloody waiting then while the coffee & ladies who lunch faff around trying to make their bloody mids up :mad:

NickDavies
17-03-2015, 16:09
Guardian fascinated by Wetherspoon’s breakfasts

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/guardian-fascinated-by-wetherspoons-breakfasts-2015031796347

Bucking Fastard
17-03-2015, 21:17
Guardian fascinated by Wetherspoon’s breakfasts

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/guardian-fascinated-by-wetherspoons-breakfasts-2015031796347

:D

london calling
18-03-2015, 19:57
Went into Wibbas Down yesterday.20 handpumps with coming soon but they had a stillage with about 25 beers that have been on for 5 days..Tried 3 x 1/3 all filthy condition.What a wasted journey.I was not amused.

Aqualung
18-03-2015, 21:47
Went into Wibbas Down yesterday.20 handpumps with coming soon but they had a stillage with about 25 beers that have been on for 5 days..Tried 3 x 1/3 all filthy condition.What a wasted journey.I was not amused.

What are they thinking of?
My local Spoons has one on gravity and the "cooling jacket" appears to be a sheet of tinfoil covered with a tea towel.
I assume the Wibbas has similar cooling arrangements.
I was thinking of going there next week so thanks for letting us all know. I'll do my SE London Overground run instead!

london calling
19-03-2015, 19:23
What are they thinking of?
My local Spoons has one on gravity and the "cooling jacket" appears to be a sheet of tinfoil covered with a tea towel.
I assume the Wibbas has similar cooling arrangements.
I was thinking of going there next week so thanks for letting us all know. I'll do my SE London Overground run instead!
They had all 50 beers on the first day but the handpump stuff always sells better so rather than replace them they forced the customers to finish the stillage stuff.Day 6 they were 99p a pint.You should have no problems next week.Professional cooling (supplied by Adnams) but tired warm beers.

Aqualung
19-03-2015, 21:10
They had all 50 beers on the first day but the handpump stuff always sells better so rather than replace them they forced the customers to finish the stillage stuff.Day 6 they were 99p a pint.You should have no problems next week.Professional cooling (supplied by Adnams) but tired warm beers.

What a stupid idea. They certainly didn't do that when I went there for the Autumn fest a few years ago.
I'll stick to my Overground route in SE London next week!!

hondo
25-03-2015, 09:16

Strewth cobber!
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/Walkabout-operator-turns-attention-to-all-day-format

Aqualung
25-03-2015, 13:10
Strewth cobber!
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/Walkabout-operator-turns-attention-to-all-day-format

I've never been in a Walkabout nor recall even walking past one. Am I missing something or should I just add them to my "AVOID" list?
the idea of drinking in a pub full of Australians banging on about rugby and cricket or watching Neighbours doesn't sound very good to me.

Quinno
25-03-2015, 14:35
I've never been in a Walkabout nor recall even walking past one. Am I missing something or should I just add them to my "AVOID" list?
the idea of drinking in a pub full of Australians banging on about rugby and cricket or watching Neighbours doesn't sound very good to me.

AVOID, as a general rule. No ale, but they do have Coopers in bottles. They turn into vomit bars after 8pm.

Al 10000
25-03-2015, 17:15

Walkabouts are the same as i describe my laptop to my wife a BAG OF SHIT.

london calling
25-03-2015, 19:21
One of the few pub chains that show live boxing and have been to 2 big fight nights with my son and his mates.Saw Froch v Groves and it was a night to remember.Cant remember what I drank but wasn't cask.

oldboots
25-03-2015, 19:33
Walkabouts are the same as i describe my laptop to my wife a BAG OF SHIT.

Or Dell as they're often known😉

Aqualung
25-03-2015, 20:44
Saw Froch v Groves and it was a night to remember.

Who they?????
Was Groves the geezer from Eastenders who later appeared on Strictly Come Dancing, Coach Trip and Celebrity Masterchef??

london calling
25-03-2015, 21:22
Who they?????
Was Groves the geezer from Eastenders who later appeared on Strictly Come Dancing, Coach Trip and Celebrity Masterchef??

I said fight night not fright night.Perry Groves has never come dancing at least I hope not.

hondo
26-03-2015, 06:28
didn't groves play for arsenal ;)

:whistle:"We all live in a ..." :whistle:

london calling
26-03-2015, 16:31
didn't groves play for arsenal ;)

:whistle:"We all live in a ..." :whistle:

No that was his sister who played for the ladies team Olive Groves.

hondo
17-04-2015, 12:37
Strewth cobber!

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Operators/Other-operators/BrewDog-starts-doing-breakfast

ETA
17-04-2015, 15:28
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/fears-over-plans-to-reopen-35246/

Elf n safety again or a valid concern?

Farway
18-04-2015, 13:46
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/fears-over-plans-to-reopen-35246/

Elf n safety again or a valid concern?

just the usual we hate booze brigade, let's close all pubs, tax booze at £20 a pint and all the country's problems will go away, just like the American prohibition stopped all crime in the US

NickDavies
22-04-2015, 09:04
Why Wetherspoons are the best pubs in Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11550283/Why-Wetherspoons-are-the-best-pubs-in-Britain.html

(please don't shoot the messenger)

Aqualung
22-04-2015, 13:59
I particularly liked his description of "Trendy Pubs".
Despite some disparaging remarks about it the Rochester Castle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25637/) is one of the better London Spoons, partly because it was always a pub.

Mobyduck
22-04-2015, 20:45
"One of the last bastions of the proper British boozer".
The blokes an idiot, either that or I'm a snob.

trainman
23-04-2015, 11:39
"One of the last bastions of the proper British boozer".
The blokes an idiot, either that or I'm a snob.
I don't have you down as a snob Moby. So the answer is...

Mobyduck
23-04-2015, 18:39
I don't have you down as a snob Moby. So the answer is...
The blokes an idiot.

hondo
18-05-2015, 12:48
"suffused with the stereotypical assumption that "
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/wetherspoons-ordered-to-pay-24000-to-irish-travellers-after-bouncer-barred-them-from-the-coronet-10258083.html

Aqualung
20-05-2015, 16:42
"suffused with the stereotypical assumption that "
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/wetherspoons-ordered-to-pay-24000-to-irish-travellers-after-bouncer-barred-them-from-the-coronet-10258083.html

A balanced and thoughtful piece on this subject can be found on the Dark Side (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/63/6320/Coronet/Holloway).
I wonder if cellarbuoy is the editor of the Sun.

hondo
21-05-2015, 07:39
A balanced and thoughtful piece on this subject can be found on the Dark Side (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/63/6320/Coronet/Holloway).
I wonder if cellarbuoy is the editor of the Sun.

nice to see ARSENALFAN36 has visited

Strongers
19-06-2015, 06:58
Local press reports claim that this Wetherspoons 'megapub' could be the largest pub in the country.

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Wetherspoon-submits-planning-application-Ramsgate/story-25895051-detail/story.html

Farway
19-06-2015, 12:13
Local press reports claim that this Wetherspoons 'megapub' could be the largest pub in the country.

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Wetherspoon-submits-planning-application-Ramsgate/story-25895051-detail/story.html

Not one I am ever likely to visit, too far away, but good on Wetherspoons for saving the building

sheffield hatter
19-06-2015, 18:56
This one (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83008/) is due to open in July - on my birthday! I suppose it would add a bit of gloss to an otherwise fairly mundane day if I cycled out that way to take a photo of the bloody pub, but don't expect me to have a drink in it as well.

bcfczuluarmy
20-06-2015, 16:58
This one (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83008/) is due to open in July - on my birthday! I suppose it would add a bit of gloss to an otherwise fairly mundane day if I cycled out that way to take a photo of the bloody pub, but don't expect me to have a drink in it as well.

You could also confirm the map point too, if my attempt isn't quite right...

sheffield hatter
20-06-2015, 20:15
You could also confirm the map point too, if my attempt isn't quite right...

If it's near the point in the middle of the shopping centre where the speech bubble saying "Help! Get me out of here!" is usually seen, you've probably got it right.

london calling
20-06-2015, 20:42

Why not have a drink.Its not as though Sheffield has a lot of great pubs.oops

sheffield hatter
20-06-2015, 21:11
Why not have a drink.Its not as though Sheffield has a lot of great pubs.oops

Nice one, John!

oldboots
24-06-2015, 09:42
Thank God for this,

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/former-head-steam-pub-re-open-9511513#ICID=sharebar_twitter

trainman
24-06-2015, 11:49
Thank God for this,

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/former-head-steam-pub-re-open-9511513#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Extraordinary that such a building (hotel) remained closed for 66 years. Missed opportunities there, I would think.

Puts one in mind of the Sheffield Tap, a wonderful space mothballed or used as a maintenance cupboard for many decades. There must be lots of equivalent areas, in and around stations, waiting to be rescued. Probably good deals to be done with waterways (and adjacent land) too. And I don't mean by 'spoons!

oldboots
30-06-2015, 16:56
20 pubs to go, list at bottom of the page:

Tue 30th Jun 2015 - JD Wetherspoon to sell 20 pubs
JD Wetherspoon to sell 20 pubs: JD Wetherspoon is to sell 20 pubs and has hired CBRE to handle the disposal. It is thought to be the largest package disposal by Wetherspoon in the past decade or so. The properties, which are being considered for sale either individually, in small packages or as a group, are located in prime town and city centre locations within England and Scotland. The outlets have strong exposure to London and the South with 14 of the 20 outlets located in these regions. Paul Breen, senior director in CBRE’s Specialist Markets team said: “It is extremely rare that a portfolio of this quality comes to the market with such a high concentration of outlets in affluent locations where opportunities are in scarce supply. As you would expect the units are fitted to a high standard significantly lowering the ingoing costs for any operator and we anticipate strong interest from a broad range of pub, bar and restaurant groups.” The pubs are as follows: The Almond Bank, Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston EH54 6HPl; The Assembly Rooms, Poplar Road, Solihull B91 3AD; Devonshire House, 2-4 The Broadway, Crouch End, London N8 9SN; The Edward Wylie, 107-109 Bothwell St, Glasgow G2 7JL; The Foxley Hatch, 8-9 Russell Hill Road, Purley CR8 2LA; The Gatehouse, 1 North Rd, Highgate, London N6 4BD; The Gatehouse, 1 Bird Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6PW; The Glass Works, Angel Central, Parkfield St, Islington, London N1 0PS; The Golden Lion, Cornhill, Ipswich IP1 1DB; The Isaac Pitman, Castle Place Shopping Centre, Castle Place, Trowbridge BA14 8AL; The Moon On The Square, 6 The Parade, Northampton NN1 2EA; The Moon Under the Water, 194 High Rd Balham, London SW12 9BP; The Oyster Rooms, Unit 3 First Floor, Fulham Broadway Centre, Fulham, London SW6 1AA; The Sennockian, 139-141 High Street, Sevenoaks TN13 1UX; The Swan Inn, High Street, Haselmere GU27 2HG; The White Lion of Mortimer, 125-127 Stroud Green Rd, London N4 3PX; The William Coppin, 2 Coppins Bridge, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 2BX; The William Jolle, 53 The Broadway, Joel Street, Northwood Hills HA6 1NZ; The William Robert Loosley, 120-123 Oxford Road, High Wycombe HP11 2DN; The Windlesora, 11 William Street, Windsor SL4 1BB.

Quinno
30-06-2015, 18:48
The Hope Tap survives again!!! :eek:

God knows how.

Of the ones on that list I've been in, most are small or quiet or, frankly, a bit toss.

Mobyduck
30-06-2015, 19:19
The Hope Tap survives again!!! :eek:

God knows how.

Of the ones on that list I've been in, most are small or quiet or, frankly, a bit toss.
Amazed about the Hope Tap surviving, but surprised about the Gatehouse Highgate maybe not, certainly one of the better ones I've been in although not in the last four or five years.

trainman
30-06-2015, 21:27
Moon Under Water, Balham!!??
Ok, it hardly fits the eponymous Orwellian vision, but always seems to do a decent Spoon-style turnover.
Where the heck will I be able to nip in for a decent quick pint (usually 5 guests, ie in addition to ipa,abbot,ano.crap), before a train home after a Sainsbos or Waitrose smash and grab? Or nip back to when that train is cancelled?
Mind you, I now see psm mentioning Jaipur and Naked Ladies over the road at some ludicrously named gaff, but in poor condition (and certainly at much higher prices).

Aqualung
30-06-2015, 21:29
JD Wetherspoon to sell 20 pubs

I've been to eleven of these, all but one in London & the Home Counties. It strikes me that they are all in affluent areas.
The Oyster Rooms and Glass House are both shopping centre pubs so it may be that the rent is just too high. The Devonshire House has
been open less than five years and I'm guessing that the demise of it and the White Lion of Mortimer less than a mile away is partly down to the Autumn opening of their new Mossy Well up the road. When I first went to the Devonshire House it was fairly soon after it opened and they were selling ESB and Pride at quite high prices. On subsequent visits it was more like a cheaper London Spoons.
This, the Foxley Hatch and the William Jolie are the only ones I will miss. Have they said when they are closing?

Aqualung
30-06-2015, 21:37
Moon Under Water, Balham!!??

I've been to this one twice, I thought it was poor on both occasions, poor beer selection, beer quality, service and high prices for a Spoons The one in Tooting isn't that great but it's miles better than this.

london calling
30-06-2015, 21:43
I am surprised the William Jolie is to close as its busy and that area is devoid of decent pubs.Not surprised about the Gatehouse as its in an expensive area, where Wetherspoon pubs are least appreciated. I am surprised that they own the Oyster Room as they are usually leasehold when in shopping centres.

trainman
30-06-2015, 21:46
I've been to this one twice, I thought it was poor on both occasions, poor beer selection, beer quality, service and high prices for a Spoons The one in Tooting isn't that great but it's miles better than this.
Agreed that it aint great, but I've never experienced poor quality or service. I paid £2.50 for a 4.8% on Sunday, and they had Brewdog 'This is Lager' (or summat like that) as manager special at £1.49 per pint(!!)
We can only judge as we find - Balham is a one pint convenience for me, Wimbledon would be more a drinking target for the number of pumps.

Aqualung
30-06-2015, 22:17
Agreed that it aint great, but I've never experienced poor quality or service. I paid £2.50 for a 4.8% on Sunday, and they had Brewdog 'This is Lager' (or summat like that) as manager special at £1.49 per pint(!!)
We can only judge as we find - Balham is a one pint convenience for me, Wimbledon would be more a drinking target for the number of pumps.

As for service I've only been there lunchtime . Generally a 4.8% should be a standard guest if it's not a Locale.one so £2.50 is expensive, it would be £2.05 in E4 but individual Sppons seem to make up their own rules.
Yesterday the premium 5.3% RCH Double header was £2.05, the standard guest price while the premium strength 5.0% International Barcelona Pale Ale by Batemans was £2.35 the Super premium price. Only the 5% Brecon Red Beacons was at the regular premium price of £2.20. As it was Cheapskate Monday there prices were 20p less!
I've been trying to fathom out food prices as well but the small variations seem to be just down to how well an item goes, so they probably prefer curries more in Chingford than they do in Penge.

Maldenman
06-07-2015, 08:59
http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/news/13369801.Hook_s_Cap_in_Hand_pub_to_close_this_summ er/

Farway
06-07-2015, 13:06
http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/news/13369801.Hook_s_Cap_in_Hand_pub_to_close_this_summ er/

Another block of flats then?

NickDavies
06-07-2015, 21:47
Another block of flats then?

Commercial I suspect. It's fairly exposed on a busy junction and with six lanes of A3 twenty feet away few would tolerate the noise and vibration 24 hours a day.

Given its location it would make a reasonable Travelodge/MaccyD's drivethrough affair for those who like that sort of thing.

oldboots
13-07-2015, 14:51
replacements for those closed,

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Operators/JD-Wetherspoon/Wetherspoons-to-open-4-pubs-in-single-day

Aqualung
13-07-2015, 18:31
replacements for those closed,

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Operators/JD-Wetherspoon/Wetherspoons-to-open-4-pubs-in-single-day
Hardly! The odd one of these four is the Sittingbourne one which already has a Spoons. I don't really know the town but thought it was smaller than Rochester or Chatham. When the new one opens I'll give it a visit, sooner rather than later in case they close the old one!

Quinno
23-07-2015, 21:07
One for Aqualung - http://wetherspoonscarpets.tumblr.com/

Aqualung
23-07-2015, 21:26

I need new carpets, do you know where I can order these?
I would probably only require offcuts from a typical sized Spoons.

Pubsignman
23-07-2015, 22:05
Just clicked on the link and the top photo was of the Sir Perry Florence Shelley in Boscombe. I've been in this pub hundreds of times but would never have recognised the carpet as there isn't a customer passed out on it.