PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checking

Conrad
30-11-2009, 15:07
Ok, just done a little checking into how difficult it is to do Spell Checking.

It looks like it is based on which browser you are using.

If you are using Internet Explorer
Click on the icon http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/galoreimages/editor/spelling.gif
It will then ask you to go to a site called iespell. If you follow all the instructions it will install the package that you then have to allow to run on these forums. It is a bit horrific to be honest and only really worth it if you are desperate to get your spelling checked.

If you are using Firefox
It may already be spell checking for you, if not right click in the edit window where you type your posts and select 'Add language' at this point it will take you to a web page where you select your chosen language and click on the Install Dictionary link. It should then automatically spell check for you.

If you are using another browser feel free to ask and I can look into it.

Soup Dragon
30-11-2009, 15:10
alternatively, look in the dictionary

Dave M
30-11-2009, 15:18
alternatively, look in the dictionary

Is that the big papery thing tied up with string?

Conrad
30-11-2009, 15:23
Is JOZXYQK in the dictionary then?

Soup Dragon
30-11-2009, 15:31
Is that the big papery thing tied up with string?

Oh, you burnt it:muppet:

Soup Dragon
30-11-2009, 15:34
Is JOZXYQK in the dictionary then?

Yes, Conrad, i have the latest Oxford Polish Dictionary and i checked up your word

a JOZXYQK means a good hammering, so every week, after you have come out of Aston Gate, you could say to any Poles in the crowd

"Oh God, what a pile of s***, the overpaid usless w*****s, another F*****g JOZXYQK - they will understand the last bit if nothing else:twigs:

Conrad
30-11-2009, 15:48
Can we not mention the football, I am still in mourning.

hopwas
01-12-2009, 10:48
Can we not mention the football, I am still in mourning.

Over failing to reach Premier?

Conrad
01-12-2009, 11:03
Saturday's match, we were torrid they deserved to win.

It was one of those matches you end up just wanting to stuff them though. I can live with losing if the opposition put on a good show and you feel like you did your best, but Shef U had 2 players booked by 60 mins for time wasting, I hate watching teams who only turn up to waste time.:moremad:

nogoodboyo
02-12-2009, 11:37
Are you suggesting we can't spill proprly?:mad:

hopwas
02-12-2009, 11:44
Saturday's match, we were torrid they deserved to win.

It was one of those matches you end up just wanting to stuff them though. I can live with losing if the opposition put on a good show and you feel like you did your best, but Shef U had 2 players booked by 60 mins for time wasting, I hate watching teams who only turn up to waste time.:moremad:

Ah dont worry.. your team Bristol Rovers won last night.. Bet you are feeling bit much better :rolleyes:

Conrad
02-12-2009, 11:45
I sadly have a reputation for spilling good and properly, Dave has become a master at the duck and cover ritual whenever it is my round, or indeed anytime I try and sit at a pub table.

Conrad
02-12-2009, 12:08
Ah dont worry.. your team Bristol Rovers won last night.. Bet you are feeling bit much better :rolleyes:
I figured they might have done, I thought I just about heard them cheer whilst sitting on my throne last night.

oldboots
03-12-2009, 16:30
Are you suggesting we can't spill proprly?:mad:

Eye halve a spell chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lea marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin not sea

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it too say
Weather eye am wrong oar wright
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee four two long
And eye can putt the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong

Eye halve run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased too no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew!

:p

Conrad
03-12-2009, 16:37
That reminds me of this classic:
A PLAN FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF ENGLISH SPELLING
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

nogoodboyo
03-12-2009, 19:56
That reminds me of this classic:
A PLAN FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF ENGLISH SPELLING
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

There is no "x" in the Welsh Language, which makes things very difficult on St. Valentine's Day :love:

hopwas
03-12-2009, 20:26
There is no "x" in the Welsh Language, which makes things very difficult on St. Valentine's Day :love:

What about WreXham? :rolleyes:

I know it is not language but never knew about 'x' not included in Welsh language!

Oggwyn Trench
03-12-2009, 21:29
What about WreXham? :rolleyes:

I know it is not language but never knew about 'x' not included in Welsh language!

Over here in the Marches just over the border its spelt Rectum , see no X:D

hopwas
03-12-2009, 21:43
Over here in the Marches just over the border its spelt Rectum , see no X:D

Shall I redirect your comment to Wrexham FC football forum? :cool:

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 00:02

I've survived without it on Valentines before :D

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 11:19
Never been very good at spelling which is a bit of a draw back when you are a crossword fan. Phonetics never worked with a Walsall accent, no wonder my Dutch daughter in law understood me when I tried it. No one else did.I have difficulty with passages with no Capitals or full stops.Tex-ting is a foreign language to me and must take some blame for the poor standard of written English around now.
If I can understand the point being made in the post then spelling is of little importance. Spoonerisms can be hillarious but you don't see many on this forum unless intended. Google Translator is a laugh but it won't work on the Black Country language.

Conrad
04-12-2009, 13:12
I bought a Welsh friend a Welsh Scrabble set a few years back, a truly fearful looking set of tiles.

Just in case anyone hasn't realised, I only set up this thread in response to a question about the Spell Checker. I have no problem with pretty much anything as long as it is readable.

The one exception to this text speak. if ne1 resorts 2 that i may hav to ban them.

Oggwyn Trench
04-12-2009, 21:19
Shall I redirect your comment to Wrexham FC football forum? :cool:

No need , we sing it to them at every meeting , though next one could be sometime away now they are an established non league club:D:D:D:D:D