PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week

oldboots
29-11-2009, 17:33
OK it's a bit of an old chestnut :twigs: but who's tasted a really good beer this week, you know the ones "an angel weeping on your tongue" and all that stuff.

I had some McMullens Rocket when in Derby with Soup Dragon and was impressed, I tried it again in a local pub this weekend and it was still a mighty ale so I'm making it my "Beer of the Week". :glass::glass:

micky1234
29-11-2009, 18:46
i live near Cottingham in E.Yorks .. its a small village with one or two good pubs .. one being The Tiger .. omly one handpull .. Bass .. but its well worth the visit to this old drinkers type pub .. just across the road however is one of a chain of off licences called Rythym and Booze .. its a kind of Wetherspoons of beeroffs .. good deals on lots of beers wines and lagers .. this weeks special offering was Marstons Owd Roger .. a 7.6% strong ale .. 4 for £4.50 .. each a full half litre of rich winter warmer type ale .. very moorish .. so though drinking at home is not quite as sociable as the pub experience .. this addictively drinkable ale at half the pubs prices makes a more than acceptable second best .. please excuse my spelling mistakes .. cant find the spellcheck .. might be due to the Owd Roger of course ..

Oggwyn Trench
29-11-2009, 19:40
Been drinking at home this week , saving up for birthday next week . Beer has been limited to a couple bottles Wye Valley Butty Bach , lovely stuff .
Should i admit this on here but its been mostly red wine this week , Barbera d asti , as i type . I put a load of reviews on last night under the influence of a bottle of White Port , dont know if i dare read them :eek:

hopwas
29-11-2009, 19:56
I had cracking Czech bitter (MILD in Soupy's case ;)) in local Wetherspoon. Name of beer escapes me..

Anyway.. it is poor man's Old Peculiar. What a cracking ale! Tastes exactly the same as Old Peculiar and I cant tell the difference. I loved so much that I drank 5 more pints and bit tipsy at the end :o.

Oggwyn Trench
29-11-2009, 20:04
I had cracking Czech bitter (MILD in Soupy's case ;)) in local Wetherspoon. Name of beer escapes me..

Anyway.. it is poor man's Old Peculiar. What a cracking ale! Tastes exactly the same as Old Peculiar and I cant tell the difference. I loved so much that I drank 5 more pints and bit tipsy at the end :o.

Old Peculiar used to be my favorite beer back in the 80s , can`t stand it now .
Also used to love Bankss Bitter and Marstons Pedigree , can`t` face either now , must be an age thing .

hopwas
29-11-2009, 20:11
Also used to love Bankss Bitter and Marstons Pedigree , can`t` face either now , must be an age thing .

I used to drink Caffery's.. cant stand it now!

I dont drink ANY blonde ales (eg Summer lighting).. prefer dark, stout and I dare to say... MILD

Eddie86
29-11-2009, 20:59
I love this time of year because I like mine dark, mysterious and strong. As for the beers... :o

I must admit to only drinking in one pub in the town, because I like to try new beers all the time. Stumbled across Old Thumper this weekend, seems to be living up to it's name with me! Also Brecon's Night Beacon (well balanced stout - neither too bitter or chocolate) and as I type Red Dragon, which is available all year round but is a rich ruby beer suited to me on winter nights.

Cheers :glass:

nogoodboyo
29-11-2009, 21:33

The breweries must tinker with the recipes from time to time, I know my local brewey, Otley, does this. I haven't been out to the pub this week, so my beer of the week is Asda Whitechapel Porter... brewed by Shepherd Neame, and just £1 a bottle.

Eddie86
29-11-2009, 23:10
The breweries must tinker with the recipes from time to time, I know my local brewey, Otley, does this. I haven't been out to the pub this week, so my beer of the week is Asda Whitechapel Porter... brewed by Shepherd Neame, and just £1 a bottle.

Ah, your down Pontypridd way then? I'm yet to visit the bunch o grapes - I intended to go during their Oct-O-ber festival, but work got in the way :'(:eek:

Conrad
30-11-2009, 13:24
Well my beer of the week as the only beer I have drunk is Bombardier, sadly they had run out of Doombar when I went down the Grapes for the after work pint on Friday.

Hi to Micky1234 and welcome to the Pubs Galore forums, I am one of the pair responsible for the running of the PG site & forum, so feel free to tell me how we can improve either site.

For spell checking if you can see an icon in the top right of the editor that looks like http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/galoreimages/editor/spelling.gif then that will give you instructions on how to get a spellchecker working. I am not impressed though, so will have a look and see if we can improve on that a little later today.

Farway
30-11-2009, 14:04
Been on the wagon last week, so no beer of week, just tea :(

However there is hope yet, weather permitting I will be down Southsea for a meeting in the Bold Forester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13964/ which is a Greene King desert with keg & lager

However, time permitting I intend to at last sample the "Sir Loin of Beef"

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14029/

From the Pompey pubs site http://www.portsmouthpubs.org.uk/index.html comes this
"Now a genuine free house, the pub features one u-shaped bar area and is a magnet for real ale enthusiasts across the south. A monthly beer festival is held, featuring a single brewery's beers at discounted prices. A friendly, first class drinking establishment. Do not be deterred by the pub's inexplicable absence from CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Seek it out".

Watch this space & hope it does not rain on Saturday

Conrad
30-11-2009, 15:09
From the Pompey pubs site http://www.portsmouthpubs.org.uk/index.html comes this
"Now a genuine free house, the pub features one u-shaped bar area and is a magnet for real ale enthusiasts across the south. A monthly beer festival is held, featuring a single brewery's beers at discounted prices. A friendly, first class drinking establishment. Do not be deterred by the pub's inexplicable absence from CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Seek it out".
Tell them to start adding those festivals to Pubs Galore while you are there ;)

Dave M
30-11-2009, 16:00
Well my beer of the week as the only beer I have drunk is Bombardier, sadly they had run out of Doombar when I went down the Grapes for the after work pint on Friday.

Yeah, the lack of Doom Bar was a bit of a let down. Had to be the Deuchars for me - although I was intrigued by the offer of 6X from a box!

micky1234
30-11-2009, 20:13
thanks for the spellcheck tip Conrad .. am about to see if i can find it with your directions .. however i can get lost for England .. hence previous non successes as a multidrop delivery driver .. used to come back to the depot with more parcels than i set off with ..

Conrad
01-12-2009, 10:18
No problems Micky, hope it helps.

micky1234
02-12-2009, 20:51
Jennings Snecklifter .. still my favourate at the Molescroft Beverley and used to be at the Woolpack .. same town .. however the Woolpack is to change hands shorty and who knows what will be the new offering .. will advise ..

hopwas
02-12-2009, 20:57
I had two pints of some Belgian ale (I know Iam useless with foreign language!) with mind boggling 8% !

I had them in local Wetherspoon Silk Kite today. I was quite tipsy only after 2 pints and it is not for faint hearted.

I could taste some sort of cherry, burnt coffee and vanilla and it was very delicious.

Get yourself down to Wetherspoon and drink Belgian Ale but DRINK RESPONSIBALTY!

Farway
03-12-2009, 15:39
I had two pints of some Belgian ale (I know Iam useless with foreign language!) with mind boggling 8% !

I had them in local Wetherspoon Silk Kite today. I was quite tipsy only after 2 pints and it is not for faint hearted.

Get yourself down to Wetherspoon and drink Belgian Ale but DRINK RESPONSIBALTY!

Wimp, get some Tactical Nuclear Penguin then come on here if you can still walk :glass:

"Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

arwkrite
03-12-2009, 15:46
Here is one beer you won't be getting. Its called Tokyo beer and is a humungous 20%.
According to Radio 4 news the Portman Group ( a Quango ? ) has banned its sale saying it encourages irresponsible drinking.Maybe some idiots would imbibe to excess but thats normal whatever the tipple. If you follow the logic why have they not banned fortified wines and spirits ?
Try drinking Tokyo on a night out and you will be in bed before the TV watershed.
If in good company I can drink a bottle of Shiraz in an evening but Tokyo is in the Port / Sherry class. It is probably something I would not drink but think it should be my choice and not be told told by whoever that I can't.

hopwas
03-12-2009, 15:47
Wimp, get some Tactical Nuclear Penguin then come on here if you can still walk :glass:

"Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

30 quid per bottle?? No thanks! :moremad: Althrough wont mind taste some of it

I remember in my student days, I had half pint of 13% ale called Roger and Out in Frog & Parrot in Sheffield. They only sells in half. If I achieved 3 or more halfs I get certification with Bar Owner signature as proof.

EDIT: Found this.. http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL600/2588775/15796933/240631553.jpg

I got countless certifications at home.. :rolleyes:

arwkrite
03-12-2009, 15:54

OK Farway you have trumped my 20%. Is this penguin stuff brewed with water from Faslane ( where they keep the real things).
32% thats real glow in the dark stuff !!

Conrad
03-12-2009, 16:14
Is it still beer if it is at that high an abv? I am trying to think what makes it a beer, presumably it has to be brewed without distillation or fortification?

Can you really get something that strong without purifying it in some way?:confused:

Sorry, really showing my scientist roots here.

Soup Dragon
03-12-2009, 16:23
Jennings Snecklifter .. still my favourate at the Molescroft Beverley and used to be at the Woolpack .. same town .. however the Woolpack is to change hands shorty and who knows what will be the new offering .. will advise ..

Snecklifter is a great pint - totally agree.

My Beer of the week is Bathams Bitter and Bathams MILD - they count as one!

OOOOH! the Vine in Brierley Hill - i can't wait to go back

oldboots
03-12-2009, 16:23
Is it still beer if it is at that high an abv? I am trying to think what makes it a beer, presumably it has to be brewed without distillation or fortification?

Can you really get something that strong without purifying it in some way?:confused:

It is a normally brewed Imperial Stout it was then frozen in an ice cream factory then matured for 18 months, the difference in the freezing points of water and alcohol means the alcohol is "concentrated". So still a beer no distillation is involved.

By the way nice to see you back Arkwrite.

oldboots
03-12-2009, 16:25

Is the Vine also known as the Bull & Bladder? Can I get a bus there from Dudley on the same night as I do The Swan in Netherton?

hopwas
03-12-2009, 16:27

Have you been to Great Western in Wolves? Great MILD they serve!

The Vine.. Legendary! Havent been there for years..

Oh Soupy? Any news about Duke Of York in Lichfield? Are they open now?

Soup Dragon
03-12-2009, 16:28
Is the Vine also known as the Bull & Bladder? Can I get a bus there from Dudley on the same night as I do The Swan in Netherton?

Yes, it is and yes, i am sure you can, as the first time i did it OB, i did the two by bus (along with others) - i just dont know which one, but will find out

hopwas
03-12-2009, 16:28
Is the Vine also known as the Bull & Bladder?

Yep you are correct Sir!

Soup Dragon
03-12-2009, 16:29
Have you been to Great Western in Wolves? Great MILD they serve!

The Vine.. Legendary! Havent been there for years..

Oh Soupy? Any news about Duke Of York in Lichfield? Are they open now?

Yes, read my review on the GW

The Duke of York, i hear, re-opens this Saturday - i hoped to be there, but looks like i have a trip to Solihull booked instead, so will do asap, along with the re-opened H&J

Conrad
03-12-2009, 16:30
It is a normally brewed Imperial Stout it was then frozen in an ice cream factory then matured for 18 months, the difference in the freezing points of water and alcohol means the alcohol is "concentrated". So still a beer no distillation is involved.

Ahhhhhhh, thanks for that, makes sense, even though I think that should be called ice distillation. :)

aleandhearty
03-12-2009, 16:31

From the Morning Advertiser 26.11.09:

'The whopping 32% abv Tactical Nuclear Penguin began life as a 10% imperial stout 18 months ago. It was then aged for 8 months in an Isle of Arran whisky cask and 8 months in an Islay cask, making it the brewer’s first double cask aged beer.

The final stages involved storing the beer at 120 degrees for three weeks to get it to 32% abv. It was put into containers in the cold store of a local ice cream factory where it endured 21 days at penguin temperatures, explained the company'.

I must admit I'm curious to try it.

hopwas
03-12-2009, 16:33
Yes, read my review on the GW

The Duke of York, i hear, re-opens this Saturday - i hoped to be there, but looks like i have a trip to Solihull booked instead, so will do asap, along with the re-opened H&J

This Sat? Darn, I have to be at Tamworth Football on Sat. Will try and visit DoY sometime next week..

Oh Solihull is pretty poor place to drink in (Apart fro, two Wetherspoons)

Soup Dragon
03-12-2009, 16:37
Oh Solihull is pretty poor place to drink in (Apart fro, two Wetherspoons)

So i hear, but we are going out to the Case is Altered first - its a mate's birthday - and it's been twenty odd years since i drank in Solihull

oldboots
03-12-2009, 16:37
Yes, it is and yes, i am sure you can, as the first time i did it OB, i did the two by bus (along with others) - i just dont know which one, but will find out

It's the 242 from Dudley to the Old Swan (6mins) I have been researching for my sojorn in the Black Country (well a night on the electric soup). It will be Monday the 14th December and I plan to stay over in Dudley, I'll PM you with the details if you fancy a trip. Anyone else who fancies a few pints let us know.

Eddie86
03-12-2009, 21:02
I've ordered a bottle of penguin, and look forward to sampling it on christmas day with anyone in the bar. There'll be a token donation from everyone sampling to cover the cost (don't forget there's P&P @ £6 odd for it!) but as it's a record-breaking brew that everyone wants banned I feel the need to try it. The Tokyo* that they brewed was 18.2%, and got banned after the 'guy in charge of stuff' (official title) at the brewery wrote to the portman group himself to complain about the beer. A brilliant piece of marketing IMO...

Just for the record, if anyone wondered what the Portman group can do to anyone who ignores them banning a drink, it is:

Yep, absolutely nothing. In law they have no teeth what-so-ever. Good to know all that alcohol tax gets spent sensibly :eek:

:twigs:

hopwas
03-12-2009, 21:07
I've ordered a bottle of penguin, and look forward to sampling it on christmas day with anyone in the bar.

Can I come? ;)

On serious note, Penguin would be disaster for their company as £30 quid plus P&P would not entice people buying them. Simply too expensive for a bottle of real ale (Or port or whatever you call it)

I wouldnt mind paying half pint of Penguin at bar (which it will not happen) for something like £5 or silmiar but not £30 a bottle!

Oggwyn Trench
03-12-2009, 21:32
Chances are at that strenth its going to be like drinking alcholic syrup

Eddie86
03-12-2009, 23:58
I thought brandy balloons would be suitable given the strength of it. around 10 glasses to the bottle works out at a little over a double shot per glass - thats if I can find 10 people that want to try it!

oldboots
04-12-2009, 08:10
I thought brandy balloons would be suitable given the strength of it. around 10 glasses to the bottle works out at a little over a double shot per glass - thats if I can find 10 people that want to try it!

I can think of 10 :D.
Did you order one of the £30 bottles or one of the £250 bottles with a free share in the brewery and will it arrive as there's only 250 bottles of each?

I can't order one as my wife was shocked when I bought a bottle of Westvleteren for £12 last month :eek:

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 10:56

At the price and strength of this product I consider yours is the proper way to handle it. The brandy balloons are a nice touch.People will probably be happy to pay for a double, they do daft things at Christmas.
I can see the only people being able to afford to drink it by the bottle will be Investment Bankers from RBS. Makes a change from bottles of Moet et Chandon I suppose.
Thanks for the info on Portman..often heard it refered to never really understood their job ( or lack of it).
I see the Bay Horse in Bromyard has Rosey Nosey on tap but not yet tempted.

hopwas
04-12-2009, 11:32
I see the Bay Horse in Bromyard has Rosey Nosey on tap but not yet tempted.

Used to sell for last 3 Xmas at my local. Very fruity with hint of mulled wine. Quite dangerously drinkable with high proof

This year they are selling Hobgoblin which is one of my favourite but seriously pricey... £2.95 per pint :eek:

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 17:57
I can think of 10 :D.
Did you order one of the £30 bottles or one of the £250 bottles with a free share in the brewery and will it arrive as there's only 250 bottles of each?

I can't order one as my wife was shocked when I bought a bottle of Westvleteren for £12 last month :eek:

I ordered one of the £30 bottles, as for will it arrive I bloody hope so! My bank statement should be through shortly - if the transaction hasn't actually gone through and then I find all the £30 bottles have gone I will not be impressed!

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 17:58
Used to sell for last 3 Xmas at my local. Very fruity with hint of mulled wine. Quite dangerously drinkable with high proof

This year they are selling Hobgoblin which is one of my favourite but seriously pricey... £2.95 per pint :eek:

Don't ever come to Hay on Wye.

Ever

No Really

hopwas
04-12-2009, 19:16
Don't ever come to Hay on Wye.

Ever

No Really

:eek: Which pub? I done every pub in Hay On Wye..

Last visit was in 2005 so how much?.. *Hopwas trembling with fear*

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 19:32
We're £2.80 - £3, although some stronger ales we sell for £3.20 and Otley O8 (8.0%) is £3.50. Hobgoblin, for example, is £3

Other places in town, you can buy Butty or Landlord at £3.20 and other beers at £3.10

I've been working with my suppliers to come to some agreement which would allow me to swallow the VAT increase until Budget in April. When the micro brewery gets up and running (touch :twigs: later this year) we should see a change to the status quo :cheers:

hopwas
04-12-2009, 19:48
We're £2.80 - £3, although some stronger ales we sell for £3.20 and Otley O8 (8.0%) is £3.50. Hobgoblin, for example, is £3

Other places in town, you can buy Butty or Landlord at £3.20 and other beers at £3.10

I've been working with my suppliers to come to some agreement which would allow me to swallow the VAT increase until Budget in April. When the micro brewery gets up and running (touch :twigs: later this year) we should see a change to the status quo :cheers:

:eek::eek::eek:

Thank god for good old Wetherspoon...

I dont mean get dig at you but with the prices rising steadily every year, some people forced to buy cheap boozes at major supermarkets.

I dont go to my local as much as I used to in recent years due to prices getting pricer and pricer so I go to Wetherspoon where they can sell same brand one pound cheaper than in my own local.

Conrad
04-12-2009, 19:58
Ah well back to good old Doombar as the beer of the week this week.

Why is it having read Hopwas's comment that I now live in fear of every pub being a Wetherspoon pub in 5 years time.

hopwas
04-12-2009, 20:04
Why is it having read Hopwas's comment that I now live in fear of every pub being a Wetherspoon pub in 5 years time.

Simple.. we are in recession. Rising council taxes, petrol prices, bills etc it is quite hard to make enough money to last me for monmth.

For example.. £1.35 for Ruddles Country in The Bolebridge, Tamworth and £2.40 for Same brand in Three Tuns, Tamworth.

It is not hard to choose really..

Unless Goverment decide to reduce ther beer duty, I am afraid Wetherspoon will be very common to see in next decade,,

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 20:38
Locally I found Hobsons Bitter £2.20 and WVB IPA at £2.50. Cheaper beer available in Hereford or Worcester but you expect to pay more in village pubs,£3 + has not been unusual for a year or two. Needless to say I gravitate to the cheaper pub which also attracts an older bunch of customers.The weekend sees a nonstop Domino game and the betting shop next door is well used. Not seen any whippets or ferrets though, they must be in the back bar.

Oggwyn Trench
04-12-2009, 20:52
I am going out to the Fox at Chetwynd Aston tommorrow for a meal so will be paying £2 80 - £3 20 for a pint of cask ale , then back to Oakengates , Hobsons Bitter £2 and Salopian Gold £1 90 then last bus home and finish off on Bankss Mild (smooth not cask:() in the Duke £1 65 .
If i like the pub i`ll pay the money .:drinkup:

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 21:03
Great prices Oggwyn. By the way I am still trying to find out why Wrexham has an X in the name. I did not originally so it must be an English corruption. Back to beer...not seen Banks Original Smooth around here but I find smoothflows all taste a bit bland and try to miss them if I can.

Oggwyn Trench
04-12-2009, 21:25
Great prices Oggwyn. By the way I am still trying to find out why Wrexham has an X in the name. I did not originally so it must be an English corruption. Back to beer...not seen Banks Original Smooth around here but I find smoothflows all taste a bit bland and try to miss them if I can.

The local saying is Wrexham is an English town in Wales and Oswestry is a Welsh town in England , though i would`nt express these opinions in either for fear of a kicking :eek:

The Fox has its own beer brewed by Phoenix , i`m looking forward to trying it tomorrow

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 22:33
We've had ferret racing - the last beer festival had it, and they'll definately be back.

We try to look at the pricing issue in the following way:

Given turnover, how much a pint do we need to charge?
How do we make that pint worth the money?

Thats why I personally vent, tap and taste every ale that goes on, with the odd exception. Thats why we offer the widest range, the most guest ales, oversized glasses and the festival pint (3 x 1/3 of a pint of 3 ales - great seller at lunch time with drivers and all the time with ladies). Our toilets are stocked with proper mini-hand towels, rather than paper or a hand dryer.

I personally don't like the price we charge, but I have to obey the basic laws of business - and with the amount of refurb we're having to do (lets just say the previous owner new when to sell!) we have to charge what we do.

sorry if this comes across a little rant - like, not the intention at all. By the way - any questions that you've always wanted to ask someone the other side of the bar, please do. that includes through the pm system if you'd rather.

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 23:50
Eddie I think we all understand that you have to charge a realistic price for your drinks. No point in cutting your own throat by charging to littleotherwise another pub closes. As Oggwyn remarked " If I like the pub I'll pay the money". My treat is to visit The Talbot just out of town.Its a pub/rest./hotel/ micro brewery such as you are aiming for.The beer is certainly worth the extra but just a bit far to be my local and it also means I have to drive.

Oggwyn Trench
05-12-2009, 00:36
Fully understand Eddie , i actually work for a wine merchant so understand some of the ins and outs of the trade .

oldboots
05-12-2009, 11:20
The question about how much a pint of beer is worth has been raised in the beer blogosphere more eloquently than I could at, this blog (http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/premium-prices_25.html)
Why is it for instance that a mass produced lager with allegedly huge economies of scale sells for more than a micro brewery's high quality, labour intensive one? There is also a lottery with quality at the pump; if you are at an unfamiliar pub there are few things worse than being asked to pay over £3 for a pint of mediocre beer you can get in good condition locally for £2.50-£2.70.

Personally I don't mind paying more for a decent pint with decent service in a decent pub, value for money is different to low price. As I don't make my pub choice based on price I don't for instance use JDW much (there's also the question of the nearest one being three quarters of an hour and a £6 bus ride away). If I was on a tighter budget I still won't use a pub just for low prices, I think there will always be a market for quality and value. I also suspect the deep discounts gained by Wetherspoon's are subsidised by a brewery's other customers and tenants paying a premium. This allows JDW's low prices as well as keeping their costs down through low staffing levels and low pay.

arwkrite
05-12-2009, 13:00
Perhaps I did my local a disservice in the way I described it and the reason my liking itI have used the pub for almost fifteen years until my Mrs found it awkward to visit.I have now gone back to it. People know me if only by sight but its easy to start a conversation. It has that elusive, intangible feeling that only a few pubs have.The pub can be empty but the feeling of warmth and friendship seem to fill the place and thats before you have had a drink. Whatever it is does not travel to other pubs in town.Being a small town you find the same customers visiting other pubs but the atmosphere is not there.
Its regulars are of the older age group, like me, and mobile calls taken outside. You dont see people texting while ignoring thier friends and they practice that ancient art of conversation.Much better than listening to someone chatting on a phone, this way you get all the story.
JDWs are places I use when in the city. Somehere you are unknown but thats OK by me. That is where your local bar staff win hands down in a small town.They recognise when I want to chat and will make time for me.Other times they know when to give me my own time and space.
There is a lot more to it than the the bottom line price of a pint.

Oggwyn Trench
05-12-2009, 13:46
I dont mind how much i pay as long as i`m not getting ripped off .
£1 80 - £2 40 is average around here , £2 40 - £3 in Shrewsbury if pubs try to charge more then there a ripoff .
Of course down south and in touristy places i expect to pay more

Oggwyn Trench
06-12-2009, 10:29
Well went to the Fox at Chetwynd Aston last night , 6 ales on Gertie Sweet , Phoenix Arizona and 3 of my favorites Wood Shropshire Lad , Salopian Oracle and Hobsons best , but i plumped for the pubs own B&P Original brewed by Phoenix , what a lovelly beer only 3.8% but full of flavour , hoppy enough to be thirst quenching and just sweet enough to be moreish , i was very impressed:drinkup:

Farway
06-12-2009, 13:33
Why is it for instance that a mass produced lager with allegedly huge economies of scale sells for more than a micro brewery's high quality, labour intensive one? .

I did ask the tenant in my local [wont name it just in case], answer was honest, the youngsters drink the Fosters etc and expect to pay more, they assume price = quality, the higher lager price supports lower real ale price [2.60 a pint]

Suits me as an ale drinker

Farway
06-12-2009, 13:37
Been on the wagon last week, so no beer of week, just tea :(

However there is hope yet, weather permitting I will be down Southsea for a meeting in the Bold Forester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13964/ which is a Greene King desert with keg & lager

However, time permitting I intend to at last sample the "Sir Loin of Beef"

Watch this space & hope it does not rain on Saturday

Failed in my quest to visit the Sir Loin, however did get into 3 others as well as Bold Forester

All had hand pulls, but just can't name any one as my Beer of Week, not 'cos they were rubbish, but I have a cold and all taste much the same at the moment

oldboots
06-12-2009, 19:11
Three beers stood out for me this week, not including the bottle of Owd Roger I'm drinking at the moment - cheers whoever mentioned it and reminded me to get a bottle :drinkup: definitely as good as I remember it but not quite as good as the cask version.

Anyway the three beers were,
Inveralmond Independence from Perth in Scotland,
Acorn Barnsley Bitter from guess where
and
Daleside Bitter (from Harrogate) in the best condition I've ever found it and only £2.35 a pint.

Daleside gets my prize as I could hardly drag myself away.

arwkrite
06-12-2009, 19:36
I did ask the tenant in my local [wont name it just in case], answer was honest, the youngsters drink the Fosters etc and expect to pay more, they assume price = quality, the higher lager price supports lower real ale price [2.60 a pint]

Suits me as an ale drinker

Went for a drink with the stepson who was overjoyed to find my local sold Foster's lager. I could have forgiven him by reason of youth but in his case he is middle aged. Anything but Fosters or Carling or Creme de Menthe.:eek:

oldboots
06-12-2009, 19:51
Went for a drink with the stepson who was overjoyed to find my local sold Foster's lager. I could have forgiven him by reason of youth but in his case he is middle aged. Anything but Fosters or Carling or Creme de Menthe.:eek:

That Paul Hogan's got a lot to answer for,..... doesn't the Pope drink Creme de Menthe according to Billy Connolly?

Conrad
07-12-2009, 12:21
Ed,

A couple of times now you have mentioned setting up a micro brewery. I am quite interested in what ways you expect this to help your business? Obviously you will have the benefit of something a little different (and tastier) than most other pubs. But do you also expect to be able to sell it on? Or improve your negotiating position with the breweries?

Quite interested in this on the back of the Wetherspoons conversation, as their pricing benefits clearly comes from the insanely strong negotiating position they hold over their various suppliers.

aleandhearty
07-12-2009, 13:11
Surprisingly, both my BOTW were dark this week. Most of the time, I like my beer pale and very hoppy. However, on a decent night out I'll ring the changes.

Saturday night in my beloved Fernandes Tap, Wakefield I had:

Fernandes 'Newc'y Black' (6.0%? If not 5.0%) Beautiful dry Yorkshire stout.
East Coast 'Moodie's Mild' (6.0%) Very much in the mould of Sarah Hughes. 'Soupy' you'd have loved it.

Eddie86
07-12-2009, 21:03
Ed,

A couple of times now you have mentioned setting up a micro brewery. I am quite interested in what ways you expect this to help your business? Obviously you will have the benefit of something a little different (and tastier) than most other pubs. But do you also expect to be able to sell it on? Or improve your negotiating position with the breweries?

Quite interested in this on the back of the Wetherspoons conversation, as their pricing benefits clearly comes from the insanely strong negotiating position they hold over their various suppliers.

Excuse me for using marketing speak, but I actually find it easier to speak that other ways now. I'll translate later if needs be!

The idea behind the micro brewery has several benefits to the business.

1) Increase profits - it is cheaper to produce your own than to buy in. Depending on how I find the sales mix it may well be that the own-brewed beers create enough profit to lower other ales prices (or allow me to buy ales that at present are too expensive for me (TT Landlord springs to mind).

2) Increase footfall - it is reasonable to expect more real ale drinkers to find us out - and also easier for people to talk about us (Do you remember that pub in Hay? - which one? - the one with the micro brewery...) We'll also hope to attract more green thinking customers, this is based on the success of us advertising our sunday roast as 'from the field behind us' - local seems to be in fashion at the moment. We'll also happily give tours (although there's not much to see - think of about 6 large domestic boilers (the things wrapped in red)) and have it listed on the towns site as a tourist attraction

3) Increase staff knowledge - all the staff that work the bar will be invited and encouraged to spend time brewing and understanding more about ale. I've converted a fair few people to ale by knowing my stuff - I ask ladies what wine they like and them offer them a sample of a beer. If it's wrong, at least I know what they DONT like :D If I can get all my staff to be able to do this, it increases customer confidence and in turn customer spend per head

4) Increase awareness of us - eventually I'll sell to other pubs. Whilst not the main aim of the venture, it would be foolish to turn down business should demand arise. There will be brews done for beer festivals - if I can get a beer into the Hereford CAMRA festival with a bit of text in the program about the pub and brewery, every single drinker there will have heard of us in one way or another. And that's a direct target audience!

5) It means I'll be able to afford a drink at the bar every now and then, and thats always a plus :drinkup:

I'm in a bit of a rush, locals birthday tonight, but when I get home i'll dig out my first copy of the business plan I've drafted and see if I've missed anything

Cheers :drinkup:

Conrad
07-12-2009, 22:25
Thanks for that, I find it really interesting stuff. And hadn't appreciated all the aspects. Keep us informed of your progress on it!

aleandhearty
08-12-2009, 11:35
I find it really interesting stuff. Keep us informed of your progress on it!

I'll second that. Sounds like you've really done your homework. All the best Eddie.

Conrad
08-12-2009, 13:05
Sorry, I was knackered last night so just made a brief reply. To follow up though, the idea of tours never occurred to me, and I know if I was there I would be interested even though it is just to look at a big container wrapped in red.

Also gratifying to hear it being used as an opportunity to increase staff knowledge, it is nice to hear it becoming part of the culture of the pub.

It all sounds really good stuff, and a defining personality to your pub. I know I will be looking to try out the Kilvert's Klear Knight pale ale (please ignore the acronym :o).

Eddie86
08-12-2009, 14:05
Sorry, I was knackered last night so just made a brief reply. To follow up though, the idea of tours never occurred to me, and I know if I was there I would be interested even though it is just to look at a big container wrapped in red.

Also gratifying to hear it being used as an opportunity to increase staff knowledge, it is nice to hear it becoming part of the culture of the pub.

It all sounds really good stuff, and a defining personality to your pub. I know I will be looking to try out the Kilvert's Klear Knight pale ale (please ignore the acronym :o).

I'm actually thinking of names for the brewery. Kilvert's obviously fits, but I wanted to see if I can have some fun with it. Kilvert was a pastor who kept a diary of his life in the area, so I thought call the brewery the Right Rev Brewery.

The Right Rev's A Friendly One (3.7%, Pale and lightly hopped session ale)
The Right Rev's Alright! (4.2%, Dark Amber, malty)
The Right Rev's A Penguin! (35%, Sweet and Banned in the UK :D )

If anyone wants to join in the fun - brewery name and 3 beers. I reserve the right to nick all your ideas at any time :D

oldboots
08-12-2009, 15:35
If anyone wants to join in the fun - brewery name and 3 beers. I reserve the right to nick all your ideas at any time :D

You probably wouldn't want to nick any of my ideas but how about something bookish or even literary, bearing in mind where you are or is that a bit obvious? You could still have Penguin or even Puffin for those too young for the Penguin. "Cracked Spine" might a strong ale, or "Misp(r)int" your best lager, or if you have a busy day "Out of P(r)int" , there's also "in print" and "Imprint", then all the font names ........... err or maybe not :o. Slink is a good name for something and I shall slink away now.

Oh btw, Durham Brewery has done ecclesiastical type names to the death although no sign of "Bash the Bishop" yet and of course Brains might be after you if you use "Reverend" although there's a couple of beer names with it in listed in the 2010 GBG.

I almost forgot the brewery name, a jokey name isn't usually a good idea for breweries (and I can't think of a book related rib-tickler :( ), so something local and basic like "The Gelli Brewery" (or Brewhouse if you want to be folksy), "Gandryll" sounds a bit Lord of the Rings, so maybe just a simple "Kilvert's Brewery". You could be modest and go with "THE Brewery"

OK I'll stick to the day job.

Oggwyn Trench
08-12-2009, 18:44
How About these

Soup Dragon , a nice fruity Mild 3.8%

A&H Bitter , a dark , strong bitter 5%

Oldboots , an old ale 8%

Arkwrites , a golden session ale 4%

And the Brewery Haymaker

oldboots
08-12-2009, 18:48
How About these

Oldboots , an old ale 8%

only 8% :moremad: I want 12% at least, I want it here and I want it now. :D

Oggwyn Trench
08-12-2009, 18:59
only 8% :moremad: I want 12% at least, I want it here and I want it now. :D

Did`nt want to get you banned by the anti penguin lobby

arwkrite
08-12-2009, 22:41
I have been out since 10 am and in the mean time you appear to have all gone barmy.:cheers:

OR

Perhaps Conrad has been playing with those unknown features again and has inadvertently set off the Angel Dust dispenser :nishelypished:
Any event it seems a good time was had by all.

Farway
09-12-2009, 12:59
May I nominate my beer of week as Hobgoblin?

Tastes excellent now my cold is vanishing, and it is on offer in Lidl's at just one measly squid a 500ml bottle, hic :drinkup:

Other options are available, drink responsibly etc etc yawn

hopwas
09-12-2009, 13:20
May I nominate my beer of week as Hobgoblin?

Tastes excellent now my cold is vanishing, and it is on offer in Lidl's at just one measly squid a 500ml bottle, hic :drinkup:

Other options are available, drink responsibly etc etc yawn

Got them at my local pub.. at *ahem* £2.85 :eek:

Oh you can get Abbot Ale Reserve (6.5%) for £1.09 at Home Bargains :cheers:

Old Peliciuar, Dog B*llocks and Spitfire all at £1.09 at same shop

Farway
09-12-2009, 14:39
and Spitfire all at £1.09 at same shop

nah nah na nah nah, Spitfire down to £1 in Lidl's as well :drinkup:

As are Bishop's Finger & Pedigree

No connection to Lidl BTW

aleandhearty
09-12-2009, 15:27

I like Kilvert's as a name- has a nice ring to it. Regarding 'Right Rev' I believe that form of address is reserved for bishops.

Everyone loves the wordplay and dreadful puns when coming up with beer names, myself included. I came up with:

'Pastor Sauce'- a strong, dark ale?
'Diary Milk'
'Way-on- High'

aleandhearty
09-12-2009, 15:32
A&H Bitter , a dark , strong bitter 5%

:D Oggy, any beer with my name on it would have to be 'full bodied' to take account of my stout girth!

Conrad
09-12-2009, 15:38
'Way-on- High'
I have been racking my brain on this question, and getting nowhere.

That one dear sir, is genius though :D

hopwas
09-12-2009, 16:31
Just for Conrad..

Coleshill's Revenge 5% Porter (strong enough for Coleshill's residents sorrowing their despair their town listed being as 'Village')

:D :cheers:

Eddie86
09-12-2009, 16:49
We'll certainly be having one called Kilvert's Gold, as I'm already brewing it (down there tonight for a brew day tomorrow actually)

I like a few of these, I think naming a few after you lot isn't a bad idea, although I'm not sure Oldboots will sell well (if it tastes like them, anyway!)

I'm quite enjoying this :D

hopwas
09-12-2009, 16:53
We'll certainly be having one called Kilvert's Gold, as I'm already brewing it (down there tonight for a brew day tomorrow actually)

I like a few of these, I think naming a few after you lot isn't a bad idea, although I'm not sure Oldboots will sell well (if it tastes like them, anyway!)

I'm quite enjoying this :D

Any chance of ale named for me? Something like Hoppy's ale (hops ale)

Just kidding! :D

Oggwyn Trench
09-12-2009, 19:41
Sticking with the vicar theme

Pastors Porter
Communion ale
Kliverts Kerygma ( an early version of Gospel Preaching)

Yes i do get bored driving my van:)

aleandhearty
10-12-2009, 12:08
Sticking with the vicar theme

....How about Rev-ale-ation.

arwkrite
10-12-2009, 13:41
"Fire and Brimstone" as good as a dose of old style phisyque.
"Purgatory Ale" an Australian style lager
" Hellfire Ale " aloe vera toilet paper essential
"Sermonite" a drink that lasts for ever but you wish it didn't
"Vicars Mrs" thin, bitter and not much chance of getting any.
" Vicars Tipple" even less chance of getting any.
"Surplice ale" bought off the back of a brewery dray, no questions asked.
" Cassock " nasty cough you have there.

What did you expect?

oldboots
10-12-2009, 14:50
I'm not sure Oldboots will sell well

A bitter old ale, fuller bodied than some but not a stout. Faint aroma of decay, pale with a loose gingery coloured head that shows all signs of receeding fast, some may say it has a poor taste but improves with familiarity. Mostly available in Yorkshire and Northern England it is occasionally available in the south, London, and even Wales. It will soon be a guest in the Dudley area.

Since everyone else has here are a few bad puns,

Pew what a sorcher
Aisle drink to that
Verger on the Ridiculous
Altar Ego
The Rite stuff
Stained Glass (REALLY dark stout)

and if you ever thought of reviving the old "Boys Bitters" this tickled my purile imagination,

Choirboys Delight

micky1234
11-12-2009, 19:43
attended our work sections xmas lunch today .. drive yourself there doo .. no coach with driver dressed as Santa for us .. it was at the Hare and Hounds .. Leven e.yorks .. nice old pub with separated rooms .. the only hand-pulled was Tetleys cask which due to the driving thing I had plenty of time to savour my one pint sample .. well kept fresh tasting ale it was too .. the lunch was sumptious and would be best eaten after drinking as not much room otherways round .. anyway it a venue well worthy of a good evenings suppage .. especially if you live in Leven or have access to a coach driven by Santa .. am home now enjoying beer of the year ( probably ) Owd Roger ..

micky1234
12-12-2009, 16:28
todays beer of the week is Ruddles County .. sadly from a can rather than hand pulled at such venues as the Royal Oay Leverton Notts or better still the Plough Inn at South Leverton also Notts .. the Plough used to have a tiny post office facility within .. it also doubled as a small grocery shop .. its a small low roofed pub with two small drinking rooms and a large beer garden .. smashing place to be in the summer after a cycling pub crawl of the area which included the excellent Ayres Arms at Rampton village .. pure England at its best .. only minor bruising highlighted the health worthiness of the expedition due to the front wheel coming adrift ..

oldboots
12-12-2009, 17:48
My beer of the week was Newmans Wolvers Ale (no I haven't heard of them either - a small brewery in Caerphilly, I drank it in Liverpool). This was closely followed by Sharps Nadelik drunk in a Wetherspoons.

I'll have to ponder about my Beer of the Year, it may even be a MILD :notworthy: .

hopwas
12-12-2009, 18:03
With days running out till 2010..

I'll plump for Mordue's Newcastle Coffee Porter as my beer of the year. What a cracking ale.. full of flavour, bit like drinking cup of cold coffee but better! :drinkup:

Eddie86
12-12-2009, 18:24
As of today, my BOTW is Wychwood's Dog's Bollocks. Strong, flavoursome, dark in taste but not so much in colour, beautiful.

I'll have to think of my BOTY and which POTY I would like to drink it in :D

Conrad
12-12-2009, 19:00
As of today, my BOTW is Wychwood's Dog's Bollocks. Strong, flavoursome, dark in taste but not so much in colour, beautiful.

I'll have to think of my BOTY and which POTY I would like to drink it in :D
I haven't had that since my student days, but my memory is it was accurately named. One of those where it tasted nice while you were drinking it, don't stop though or the aftertaste will hit you and you make a face like you had just tasted it's namesake.

hopwas
12-12-2009, 19:45
I remember drinking it in my student days.. Still cringes whenever Dog Bollocks being mentioned.

Anyway in my local pub, The Fox in Hopwas, People would always turn their head when I mention "Bollocks please" which I was actually refer to Dog's Bollocks!

Oh... :o

Oggwyn Trench
13-12-2009, 12:43
Bankss Keg Mild or me last night , best of a bad choice but only £1.60 a pint and the band was good plus a few decent bits of eye candy (-4 and skirts that short , they`ll catch there death) better than a night in with the x factor

micky1234
13-12-2009, 15:25
"Beer-Off" of the day has to be me local Rhythm and Booze shop in Cottingham E. Yorks .. 4x500ml Abbott Ales for £3 .. 75p a pint or there abouts .. prior to that I paid £2.80 for a very second rate pint of Pedigree at the Fair Maid .. no real atmosphere either .. and no band .. meanwhile i've Planet Rock on the interadio and and me carry-out .. beer at home means Abbott Ale .. whatever happened to Davenports by the way ?

Oggwyn Trench
13-12-2009, 17:03
Davenports was murdered by Greenhalls same as Wem Brewery , though that was more put out of its misery . You can still get some Davenport beers , dont know where they are brewed though .

hopwas
13-12-2009, 17:33
You can still get some Davenport beers , dont know where they are brewed though .

They are brewed in Birmingham.. http://www.go-for-it.co.uk/Davenports/

oldboots
13-12-2009, 18:30
Talk of Davenports got me all nostalgic for good times in Bristol in the late 70s/early 80s, as I recall we used to drink Davenports in "The Scotsman and his Pack" on St Michaels Hill.

I dug out this photo taken in about 1981 in Redlands, Bristol. The Davenports bridge was a bit of a local landmark.

hopwas
13-12-2009, 18:59
Talk of Davenports got me all nostalgic for good times in Bristol in the late 70s/early 80s, as I recall we used to drink Davenports in "The Scotsman and his Pack" on St Michaels Hill.

I dug out this photo taken in about 1981 in Redlands, Bristol. The Davenports bridge was a bit of a local landmark.

1981.. I was 3 year old that time! Anyway Iam suprised to see Brum based brewery would go far as Bristol! :eek:

You can still buy Davenport's ales from ASDA

oldboots
13-12-2009, 19:24
Anyway Iam suprised to see Brum based brewery would go far as Bristol!

It probably goes back to the days of the Great Western Railway although in the 1970s/80s it was largely Courage beers all over Bristol. You could get Mitchells & Butlers in Bath at that time as well.

I checked the GBG for where Davenports is now brewed, apparently it's Highgate and the spooky thing is they also brew Smiles another beer I used to drink in Bristol in the olden days - of course Smiles was brewed in Bristol then.

Oggwyn Trench
13-12-2009, 19:31
Davenports was a pretty big company at one time 130ish tied pubs + 600ish freetrade and they used to do home deliveries :D
I had heard a rumour Highgate in Walsall were being commisoned to start brewing it again , doubt it will taste the same as it used to .
Back in the early -mid 80s Greenalls ran riot through the midlands brewing industry , buying and then closing any brewery they could get there hands on :moremad:

hopwas
13-12-2009, 19:35
It probably goes back to the days of the Great Western Railway although in the 1970s/80s it was largely Courage beers all over Bristol. You could get Mitchells & Butlers in Bath at that time as well.

I checked the GBG for where Davenports is now brewed, apparently it's Highgate and the spooky thing is they also brew Smiles another beer I used to drink in Bristol in the olden days - of course Smiles was brewed in Bristol then.

Apparently Highgate is in deep trouble.. http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=65188

Iam still trying to remember name of pub which Highgate own in Brum, anyway it has 3 or 4 own brew which is outstanding.

arwkrite
14-12-2009, 00:59
Being Walsall born Highgate Brewery is close to my heart.I was going to use its logo as my avatar until I realised it was still going.The more you dig into the story of it going bust and the subsequent sale the stranger it sounds.The brewery appeared to have some big name customers in 2008.

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 09:18
Apparently Highgate is in deep trouble.. http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=65188

Iam still trying to remember name of pub which Highgate own in Brum, anyway it has 3 or 4 own brew which is outstanding.

The City Tavern in Brum is Highgate/Davenports - Jewellers Arms in Hockley also sells Highgate and i believe was their bigest seller at one point.

The brewery did re-finance a few months ago, going into and out of administration with in a few days. As far as i know, they are safe.

The brewery was saved by WWII, M&B took it over in 1939 and when war broke out they decided to keep the brewery open (were going to sell it off and closed pubs etc) due to the fact that they would get twice the rations if they kept it open as a separate company.

Highgate MILD is class

arwkrite
14-12-2009, 10:05
Well would you believe it. Highgate saved by Hitler ,although he was probably unaware of the fact. If things had turned out different we could well be drinking litres of Pils while wearing itchy leather shorts. ( May be some of you do but I dont think it a suitable subject for an open forum;) )
The Davenports pub I remember is The Running Horse just outside Bewdly. Last time I went it was one of those places with specials boards all over the walls and a stack of baby high chairs. Cannot remember what the beer was.
In the 50's Dad, when we lived in Walsall and Brownhills, had a wooden case of six or eight bottles of Davenports beer delivered at home as the advert used to say.

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 10:45
In the 50's Dad, when we lived in Walsall and Brownhills, had a wooden case of six or eight bottles of Davenports beer delivered at home as the advert used to say.

Beer at home means Davenports
Thats the beer, lots of cheer.......

arwkrite
14-12-2009, 11:20
It might well have been stout in the bottles. My Mom suffered ill health about that time and the doctor recommended she drink stout as a tonic.I also remember bottles of tonic wine ( "Halls" brand ? ) and Advocat.
Hhhmmm.....on second thoughts perhaps she just had a drink problem.

hopwas
14-12-2009, 12:06
The City Tavern in Brum is Highgate/Davenports - Jewellers Arms in Hockley also sells Highgate and i believe was their bigest seller at one point.

Thats the one.. The City Tavern! Didnt know Jewellers Arms sells Highgate.. Only visited it once in 2005.

Thanks by the way :drinkup:

Hoppy

Soup Dragon
14-12-2009, 12:36
Hhhmmm.....on second thoughts perhaps she just had a drink problem.

Class :D

Perhaps that's what my doctor mean't when he said i had a MILD illness?:cheers:

Conrad
14-12-2009, 14:11
That is a great photo there oldboots, I had never heard it called the Davenports bridge, always just referred to it as the arches in the 20+ years I have been around Bristol.

A recent view of the arches through Google Streetview (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cotham+brow,+bristol&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.805845,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cotham+Brow,+Bristol,+Avon+BS6,+United+Kingd om&ll=51.46851,-2.593871&spn=0.020318,0.038581&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.46864,-2.593717&panoid=cmiz8hQ48MgQ4XFCuHyACw&cbp=12,40.74,,0,13.51).

oldboots
14-12-2009, 14:40
Depends when the advert was taken down I suppose, I used to visit friends who were at Bristol uni in the late 70s. We used to walk down there on the way to the pub(s) and called it what seemed obvious.

Eddie86
15-12-2009, 23:45
Mash Tun arrived today :D:D:D

Now I just need the rest of the brewery, somewhere to house the brewery, ingredients and some firkins to put the beer in...

It's a start though :D

hopwas
16-12-2009, 10:30
Beer of the Week for me is..

Golden Thread (5%) by Salopian Brewery in Duke Of York, Lichfield.

Easy drinking. Fruity and very hoppy with hint of spices. Very nice and smooth.

aleandhearty
16-12-2009, 11:06
Altogether now.( To the tune of 'All I want for Xmas is my two front teeth'.)

All I want for Xmas is my new mash tun.....

Conrad
16-12-2009, 13:30
On the 3rd day of Christmas my supplier supplied me
3 Firkin casks
2 Fitted boilers
and a Mash tun for the brew-er-y

Farway
16-12-2009, 13:55
My beer of the week would have been DR HEXTER'S HEALER 5.0% ABV from West Berkshire brewery http://www.wbbrew.com/beers.html

For two reasons, one it was free [see free beer post] and two, it is an award winner for 2009

However, never tasted it 'cos I was driving & had GOOD OLD BOY shandy instead:mad:

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 13:58
OK, if we are going to nominate our favourite beer of the week, when do we take the week from, mon - sun? or am i being too literal:muppet:

Farway
16-12-2009, 14:03
OK, if we are going to nominate our favourite beer of the week, when do we take the week from, mon - sun? or am i being too literal:muppet:

From when you wake up & the headache clears?

Conrad
16-12-2009, 14:12
We are going to need another thread to store them in and that thread will need stickying as well.

Sorry just getting ahead of myself there.

oldboots
16-12-2009, 14:36
We are going to need another thread to store them in and that thread will need stickying as well.

Sorry just getting ahead of myself there.

I thought this thread was "beer of the week", admittedly its drifted about a bit but then we all do don't we, I know I do probably age or summat :muppet: anyway back to the plot,

For the record my Beer of the Week (so far) and there really could only be one this week, is
Bathams MILD :notworthy:

Round our way a lot of pubs don't open Mondays so maybe Monday to Sunday could be the PG standard week? Are we having Pub/Beer/Barmaid of the week/season/year threads too, as, was it Eddie or Micky, suggested?

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 15:26
It seems to me then:

1. We have a sticky thread for 'top' of the week - be it beer, barmaid etc
2. The official week runs from Mon - Sun, assuming Farway wakes up in that time:p
3. Nominal attention can be paid to anything that is reallllllllly bad as well

Also, good to see OB using the :notworthy: when talking of MILD, though he did text me evey two minutes to tell me (pork pie as well)

Conrad
16-12-2009, 15:49
If anyone wants anything like this let me know, and indeed if anyone wants to run it let me know, I will look at trying to set something up as a sticky thread that someone else can administer.

hopwas
16-12-2009, 15:51
1. We have a sticky thread for 'top' of the week - be it beer, barmaid etc

Everyone.. go to The Dog, Whiitington near Lichfield :cheers:

oldboots
16-12-2009, 16:48

For those of us who live too far away any chance of a photo of said barmaid?

Is she as lovely as these winners of the Licensed Victuallers Gazette Barmaid of the Year Competition of1899? :love:

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 16:54

Is she as lovely as these winners of the Licensed Victuallers Gazette Barmaid of the Year Competition of1899? :love:

Hoppy is your man - he knows who he means!

I was going to put up a few of the 'habitual drinker' photos we have, sadly, i cant, as Mr A is in with them!:p

oldboots
16-12-2009, 17:01
I was going to put up a few of the 'habitual drinker' photos we have, sadly, i cant, as Mr A is in with them!:p

If you've any from the Jewellery Quarter I'll bet my Great Grandad is one of them :drinkup:

hopwas
16-12-2009, 17:08

:D:D

Funny! Ok for you oldies.... visualise Ursula Andress in her heyday. Thats what I am talking about :cheers:

Conrad
16-12-2009, 17:18
:D:D

Funny! Ok for you oldies.... visualise Ursula Andress in her heyday. Thats what I am talking about :cheers:
What should us youngies visualise? ;)

Also I now want to see the winners of the Licensed Victuallers Gazette Bartender of the Year. Complete with sideburns, tweed hat and silver topped cane :).

Soup Dragon
16-12-2009, 17:20
If you've any from the Jewellery Quarter I'll bet my Great Grandad is one of them :drinkup:

Birmingham Archives, or Sparkbrook Police Station (Police Museum) for those, Squire. My great GF, too - judge said he was a nice bloke until he had a drink inside of him!:cheers:

hopwas
16-12-2009, 17:21
What should us youngies visualise? ;)

Visialise Miss Bristol 2009 :D

Conrad
16-12-2009, 17:34
Visialise Miss Bristol 2009 :D
Close enough? (http://www.socceram.com/soccerettes/0,21655,13874_5706549,00.html)

hopwas
16-12-2009, 17:37
Close enough? (http://www.socceram.com/soccerettes/0,21655,13874_5706549,00.html)

Bingo!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Nice looking girls you have in Bristol..

Conrad
16-12-2009, 17:39
Bingo!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Nice looking girls you have in Bristol..
Strangely I have never seen her at the ground :confused:

hopwas
16-12-2009, 17:41
Strangely I have never seen her at the ground :confused:

Thats because you only going to Memorial Stadium... :D

Conrad
16-12-2009, 18:33
Thats because you only going to Memorial Stadium... :D
Not unless they have finally built a roof over the seats I'm not.

Oggwyn Trench
16-12-2009, 18:36

Know the pub , is she the blonde one with the large breasts and the blouse a couple of sizes too small that won`t fasten up properly ?
Not been for a few years but she seems to have made an impression :D

hopwas
16-12-2009, 18:44
Know the pub , is she the blonde one with the large breasts and the blouse a couple of sizes too small that won`t fasten up properly ?
Not been for a few years but she seems to have made an impression :D

Joan Sims? :D

arwkrite
16-12-2009, 21:24

Hopwas you are either showing your age or watching far to many Carry On films on daytime television.They don't build bras like that today. It was British Engineering at it best. Its all suspension bridges today:).

Farway
17-12-2009, 11:46
Hopwas you are either showing your age or watching far to many Carry On films on daytime television.They don't build bras like that today. It was British Engineering at it best. Its all suspension bridges today:).

Ermm, 'scuse me, are you getting confused with Barbara Windsor in Carry on Camping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0J9FdN8oqA

arwkrite
17-12-2009, 13:15
Ermm, 'scuse me, are you getting confused with Barbara Windsor in Carry on Camping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0J9FdN8oqA

Thank you for that unforgettable moment. Babs certainly had her fine points when it came to acting. I believe Joan availed herself of that assistance which, specially designed for Jane Russell by Howard Hughes , thrust more than her acting ability to the fore. The cross your heart thingummy which according to the advert of the time "lifted and separated" did give a profile which hormone overladen schoolboys likened to railway buffer stops.:D
With Babs you got what you often saw. With Joan you thought you saw what you would like to have.:love:
I think I had better stop there before Conrad chucks me off the forum for corrupting the minds of testosterone filled ale dinkers with over active minds on the darkside.HeHeHeHe.

oldboots
17-12-2009, 15:23
I think I had better stop there before Conrad chucks me off the forum for corrupting the minds of testosterone filled ale dinkers with over active minds on the darkside.HeHeHeHe.

The darkside? is that keg beers, Owd Rodger or MILD :notworthy:

Eddie86
17-12-2009, 15:43
Dark fantastic - a lovely MILD from Spectrum Brewery in Norfolk
Brains Dark - MILD from Brains
Dark side of the Moose - Yes, o God Yes! ---> Click here! (http://www.purplemoose.co.uk/pmb_the_beer_range_all_year.htm#Dark Side)

Eddie86
17-12-2009, 18:11
I can now confirm I have a bottle of TNP on it's way to me :D

Whilst Brewdog have sold out on their website (unless £250 sounds good value) you can still get some at the following website - beer merchants:

http://www.beermerchants.com/B6042

:D :D :D

hopwas
17-12-2009, 18:20
I can now confirm I have a bottle of TNP on it's way to me :D

Lucky sod... :moremad:

Can you keep bit of leftover for me.. pretty please :cheers:

Eddie86
17-12-2009, 18:35
Lucky sod... :moremad:

Can you keep bit of leftover for me.. pretty please :cheers:

Sure, don't mind doing that. I'll fax you the label :D

I may buy a second after Christmas and keep it to one side for the PG AGM meeting - it's either in that pub with free beer or the one with the barmaid at the moment :D

Oggwyn Trench
17-12-2009, 18:45

More a Liz Fraser man meself :D

arwkrite
17-12-2009, 23:06

There is just not enough flesh on modern film stars. Now Hattie Jaques was was someone you could lose yourself in for an afternoon if not longer.
The female equivalent of Eddies TNP...Full bodied with a Rounded Finish.

(Gotta ease up on the Ginseng Pills).

Conrad
18-12-2009, 12:22
Sure, don't mind doing that. I'll fax you the label :D

I may buy a second after Christmas and keep it to one side for the PG AGM meeting - it's either in that pub with free beer or the one with the barmaid at the moment :D
Given the venue suggestions for the AGM, I am sensing impending accusations about not being able to arrange a piss up in a brewery.

Eddie86
18-12-2009, 14:27
Given the venue suggestions for the AGM, I am sensing impending accusations about not being able to arrange a piss up in a brewery.

I have been led to believe that the paperwork involved in having one actually in a brewery (as in around the equipment) compared to having one in the brewery tap (in my experience a room adjacent to the equipment most of the time) that is actually quite an onerous task :eek:

Farway
18-12-2009, 14:34
I have been led to believe that the paperwork involved in having one actually in a brewery (as in around the equipment) compared to having one in the brewery tap (in my experience a room adjacent to the equipment most of the time) that is actually quite an onerous task :eek:

Back in the far off days, before Gales sold out to Fullers, the local brewery visit was off course Gales at Horndean, the tasting was, as Eddie says, a seperate room, in this case over road

The tale was told of the brewery worker who fell into the vat & drowned, had to get out 3 times for a pee though :D

For some reason my missus thought this anecdote was "sick", never could understand women

Conrad
18-12-2009, 14:50
The tale was told of the brewery worker who fell into the vat & drowned, had to get out 3 times for a pee though :D
Well at least that is one thing ruled out as the secret flavouring ingredient :p

Soup Dragon
18-12-2009, 16:15

Amanda Barrie in Carry on Cleo - oh yes:love:

hopwas
18-12-2009, 16:17
Unknown Barmaid in The Dog, Whittington.. :love:

:cheers:

oldboots
18-12-2009, 16:36
Back in the far off days, before Gales sold out to Fullers, the local brewery visit was off course Gales at Horndean, the tasting was, as Eddie says, a seperate room, in this case over road

A true story, it was the head brewery who jumped in, they just cleaned out the vat and used it until Fullers closed the brewery. :(

Well at least that is one thing ruled out as the secret flavouring ingredient :p

The story is told about how they first made porter and how they learned to make without a black guy falling in ;).

Amanda Barrie in Carry on Cleo - oh yes:love:

Yes but not in Coronation Street. Give me Kirsty Allsopp any day, she's even named after a brewery :love:.

Soup Dragon
18-12-2009, 16:38
Also Anita Harris in Carry on Doctor - in a nurse's outfit:love:

Dave M
18-12-2009, 16:54
and Elke Sommer in Carry on Behind :love:

oldboots
18-12-2009, 17:01
I quite liked Fenella Fielding in Carry On Screaming, especially with the line "mind if I smoke?" ...hot stuff :D

Oggwyn Trench
18-12-2009, 19:33
What about Valerie Leon or Madeline Smith:notworthy:

Maybe this thread should be Pervs Galore :D

hopwas
18-12-2009, 19:57
Maybe this thread should be Pervs Galore :D

http://images.zaazu.com/img/surprise-male-shock-stun-smiley-emoticon-000284-large.gif

I am not saying anything..

oldboots
24-12-2009, 17:55
Meanwhile back at Beer of the Week - I'll post this in the right thread

My beer of the week
(as my drinking week has now finished :( apart from a cheeky bottle of Rauchbier I have for xmas day) ;)

is Evan Evans Imperial.

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2009, 20:50
Dorothy Goodbodys Golden Ale for me , think that covers beers and pervs

Eddie86
25-12-2009, 03:57
Butty is the better drink!

arwkrite
26-12-2009, 08:16
I wonder if I will have time to pop round to the Rose & Lion today and perhaps put the last two posts to the test. I was to busy yesterday to pop out for a lunch time drink. My stepson trusted me to cook the dinner which I am glad to say turned out perfect and 1/2 hour ahead of time. He kept the kids occupied and out of the kitchen. For two blokes I think we did pretty well.Christmas day drinks were a bottomless glass of French red plonk (why cast pearls before swine?).The odd glass of Famous Grouse and a bottle of Bud. Didn't even feel typsy and no hangover.I must be getting used to this drinking . Poor old Stepson could not have any alcohol till 6pm because he had to transfer his kids and fetch his squeeze

Oggwyn Trench
26-12-2009, 12:00
Butty is the better drink!

Agreed , just fancied a change .
Butty is one of my favorites .:notworthy:

Eddie86
26-12-2009, 15:02
Well I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with TNP. I found it sickly, with a dominating flavour of liquorice. Think of that old fashioned cough medicine and your half way there. Very thick, it coats your mouth and initially gives a flavour like a Islay malt, before that liquorice takes over.

I sold 8 shots (25ml) yesterday, and had one myself, leaving me with half a bottle as we speak. I think I'll offer it in the bar tonight, saving a couple of shots worth for when good friends come round. When I try it again it'll be with a very strong, possibly garlic, cheese.

runningdog
26-12-2009, 19:17
Think of that old fashioned cough medicine and your half way there

Sounds a bit like my first crack at making sloe gin. Well drinkable, once you were drunk..........

arwkrite
26-12-2009, 22:59
Over the years I have tried quite a number of strange herbal liqueurs from various parts of Europe. You know the sort of thing that you get as a present. They all seem to taste of Syrup of Figs,Benylin, antiseptic mouthwash but have a decent alcohol level. Being a tight fisted git I had to find something to make it taste better. Drowning them in Cola type drinks retains the warming kick and gets rid of the toilet cleaner after taste. I don't really like cola but its better than drinking them straight.
Thanks Eddie for purchasing a bottle of TNP and providing the feed back. The Rose and Crown was packed on both attempts to enter so gave up.

Eddie86
27-12-2009, 11:04
Well if any of you lot are having a meet up in the near future, let me know and I'll send the remains up to you - Merry Christmas and all that

oldboots
28-12-2009, 17:04
Well I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with TNP. I found it sickly, with a dominating flavour of liquorice. Think of that old fashioned cough medicine and your half way there. Very thick, it coats your mouth and initially gives a flavour like a Islay malt, before that liquorice takes over.

Sad to hear that, especially at £35 a bottle, I'll stick Laphroaig then even though I got a bottle of Glen Morangie for christmas:D.

The worst drink I ever tasted was a Grappa, foul even after we cut it with cherryade :sick:

aleandhearty
28-12-2009, 18:32
The worst drink I ever tasted was a Grappa
Agreed. Out on a limb undrinkable. Nothing comes close.

arwkrite
28-12-2009, 21:20
Croatian Slivivitce (I tried it when Tito was still breathing ,at a place called Rovinj ) . It smelt and tasted foul. The local beer tasted like cheap lager and the wine was pretty poor.Marlboro cigarettes tasted worse than Guitannes. I hope for independant Croatia's sake that things have improved.

Oggwyn Trench
29-12-2009, 18:32
Sad to hear that, especially at £35 a bottle, I'll stick Laphroaig then even though I got a bottle of Glen Morangie for christmas:D.

The worst drink I ever tasted was a Grappa, foul even after we cut it with cherryade :sick:

I tried Grappa in Sorrento on the day of a big festival , i had a peacefull nights sleep while the Mrs was kept awake by what sounded like world war 3 going on outside .
If you have never tried it , Aspro soluble mixed with cheap vodka comes close:eek:

In Samos i tried home made Raki , no taste exept alcohol for days after , nobody could talk for 10 minutes after a sip either

hopwas
29-12-2009, 18:37
I Tried Coach House's Pitchfork (4.4%) which is OUTSTANDING! Tasted like sort of toffee and very dangerously drinkable. I drank it in Silk Kite, Tamworth and went down like treat.

Farway
01-01-2010, 12:53
Tried the Havant Finished in the Bird in Hand, top marks all round, nicely smooth, 5% ABV

I can't do better in description than the official site here http://www.thehavantbrewery.co.uk/home_1.html

And here is where it is made, in his garage http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/brewery/1392

Lovely stuff, and made just round the corner from me, even better

Oggwyn Trench
04-01-2010, 16:39
Tried some Bath Ales , Golden Hare last night , pleasant enough but a bit lacking in depth , nice finish but but not much flavour in the mouth :rolleyes:, probally the wrong tiime of year for it .

Conrad
04-01-2010, 17:14
Tried some Bath Ales , Golden Hare last night , pleasant enough but a bit lacking in depth , nice finish but but not much flavour in the mouth :rolleyes:, probally the wrong tiime of year for it .
I generally go for their darker ales and then switch over to the Spa or Golden Hare after a couple of pints. Been a while since I have had the Golden Hare though.

aleandhearty
06-01-2010, 13:17
After all those Christmas excesses, my palate certainly needed perking up. And boy, oh boy it certainly was when I tried 'Dobber' from the Marble Brewery, on Saturday. If it had any more grapefruity zing it would need to come with a maraschino cherry on top! Wonderful stuff.

hopwas
06-01-2010, 13:23
Just like aleandhearty.. this week is pretty poor mostly on Spitfires, Hobgoblin. I had a pint of excellent Timothy Taylor at Horse and Jockey, Weeford and pint Spinghead's Cromwell Hat at The Boldebridge, Tamworth which is rather ordinary..

God damn you, snow.. I badly needed that Derby Crawl yesterday :moremad:

Conrad
06-01-2010, 13:29
God damn you, snow.. I badly needed that Derby Crawl yesterday :moremad:You would never get the service in Derby that you do in Tamworth though :)

ROBCamra
06-01-2010, 13:34
Just like aleandhearty.. this week is pretty poor mostly on Spitfires, Hobgoblin. I had a pint of excellent Timothy Taylor at Horse and Jockey, Weeford and pint Spinghead's Cromwell Hat at The Boldebridge, Tamworth which is rather ordinary..

God damn you, snow.. I badly needed that Derby Crawl yesterday :moremad:

Had to crawl along the bar at The Baum last night.

Green Mill Big Chief, Boggart Sundial, Boggart Ray of Sunshine, Fraoch Heather Ale, Salopian Aurora and Slaters Why Not ?

What a nightmare, still, someone has to do it! :cheers:

oldboots
06-01-2010, 14:38
Bit late, but my beer of the week for New Year is a Belgian beer Mc Chouffe, a hard and strange choice given all the lovely pubs and beers tried on the Pennine rail ale trail last wednesday :cheers:

McChouffe is a brune bier from the Ardennes, it is was a 75cl bottle, it is 8% and I had it all myself on New Years Day :nishelypished:

This week will be very poor for beer due to work but hopefully I'll get to Liverpool :pray: Inverness :eek: and maybe even Aberdeen next week.

aleandhearty
12-01-2010, 14:55
A rather obvious choice? Well maybe, but it's been years since I've tasted this lovely light mild and I'd forgotten how good it can be. With 'Landlord' pretty much omnipresent these days, it's sometimes easy to forget the other beers in the Taylor stable. Fortunately, it's now a permanent fixture in a pub close to home. I suspect I'll be drinking quite a lot of it in the weeks to come.

RogerB
12-01-2010, 15:36
Not much on pub wise this week so was looking forward to a few home comfort sofa beers. A crate arrived this week courtesy of Air Miles - they were going to close my account on Dec 31 as it was dormant and rather than lose the acrrued miles, I spent them on 24 bottles of wine and 40 bottled ales. The Ales arrived this week and but they botched up the order and instead of the Badger / Wychwood collections, I have ended up with 40 continental lagers! I can't be arsed to arrange having them replaced as it would mean having to take a day off for them to collect them so looks like I will be having a couch continental lager fest for the remainder of the week.

trainman
12-01-2010, 15:50
That's not good Roger, although I can't think of much I'd have ordered from Wychwood - that Hobgoblin stuff is far from a fav but I'd give it another try in pref to 40 lagers!
That said - AirMiles also threatened to discontinue my account recently, with loss of my few miles (1900?) but didn't notify me of the chance to turn them into alcohol! I ended up working how to use an online outlet & bought a knife sharpener that I didn't want & knew wouldn't work, just to regenerate the account status. Hmm, continental lagers you say? starting to sound better, No! I didn't say that...

trainman
12-01-2010, 15:53
"I'm not teetotal anymore...
"I'm not teetotal enn..y..more..."

frying pans & fires spring to mind tho!

RogerB
12-01-2010, 16:02
There wasn't a great choice on the ales and at least the continental stuff seems pretty decent as continental lagers go i.e. it isn't Heineken, Crudsberg, Stella etc, in fact can't say I had ever heard of any of the ones that came so it will at least be an adventure.

I did have a pint of Weltons Something or Other the other night - a whopping 7.8% which was pretty good for a beer of such strength (and I'm not usually a great fan of Weltons). I can't remember its name (for obvious reasons), just the strength and it isn't mentioned on their website so no idea what it actually was. I just wish it had been at the end of a long evening instead of the start.

aleandhearty
13-01-2010, 12:20
on 24 bottles of wine...with 40 continental lagers!

That's going to be one hell of a week at Casa B. Enjoy!

RogerB
13-01-2010, 17:01
That's going to be one hell of a week at Casa B. Enjoy!

Actually its only 20 beers - I was obviously crying so much at opening the box to find European lagers that I couldn't count them properly. Basically I have 5 each (actually - it's only 4 each now!) of Lindeboom Pilsener (Holland), Warsteiner (Germany), Krusovice (Czech Rep) and Furstenberg (Germany) to get through. Best I get on with the rest of them.

Oggwyn Trench
13-01-2010, 20:24
After the slight disapointment with the Bath Ales Golden Hare i took Conrads advice and tried a darker one , Barnstormer , much better , a proper full bodied beer .
Also got round to trying the Salopian Entire Butt Porter the Mrs got me at new year , very nice well balanced and just right for these cold nights , also at 95p a bottle (500ml) at Tesco great value:D

Millay
13-01-2010, 21:31
SOD the beer .... no nothing to do with a New Years resolution but I found a new beer for me called SOD from Banks & Taylor. An excellent porter/stout style 5% beer and very drinkable. Found in a JDW in the City and most definitely my Beer of the Week.

runningdog
13-01-2010, 22:27
tried a darker one , Barnstormer , much better , a proper full bodied beer .

Barnstormer, now there's a thought! If I head into the attic, I reckon I might have a botlle or two..........

runningdog
13-01-2010, 22:46
Nope, no Barnstormer, but a couple of Dark Island. Cheers, lads and lasses, and goodnight.....:drinkup::drinkup:

hopwas
14-01-2010, 11:09
Conrad,

Any chance of this thread sticky?

Hoppy

Conrad
14-01-2010, 11:22
Definitely a chance, but I am kind of wondering if there is a better way to do it? I am wondering if we had 2 rolling sticky threads, so for today you would see "beer of the week ending 10/1/10" & "beer of the week ending 17/1/10" with an archive forum for each of the previous threads.

Reasons for this,

we could then actually have a note of all the beers of a given week in the head of the thread
shorter threads are easy to cope with than long threads?

Let me know what you think and if you have any advances on the idea, definitely think this should be a part of our forum though (so something should be stickied).

Edit: May as well sticky this one for now anyway, so have done.

Millay
14-01-2010, 23:06
Definitely a chance, but I am kind of wondering if there is a better way to do it?

Let me know what you think and if you have any advances on the idea

I was sort of thinking that a sub-topic or a separate topic might work better to split some of the themes up. Just my first impressions as a, ahem, Spritzer Swallower, but I'll give it a bit more thought once I am a bit more soberererer.

runningdog
15-01-2010, 00:30
a, ahem, Spritzer Swallower.

It's a bluidy insult, that's what it is...:drinkup:... I need another...:drinkup:

Conrad
15-01-2010, 13:10
I was sort of thinking that a sub-topic or a separate topic might work better to split some of the themes up. Just my first impressions as a, ahem, Spritzer Swallower, but I'll give it a bit more thought once I am a bit more soberererer.
If you are suggesting that any thread on this forum may stay on topic, good luck with that :)

Soup Dragon
15-01-2010, 19:33
Best pint this week, Bathams MILD at the Britannia in Gornal, sheer class. I was pretty drunk by the time i got to the Bull in Sedgely for the Holden's MILD, so have to go with the Bathams - it also gets the best pub

worst pub, Bentley Green, Walsall - a twiggy arty sculpturey place

hopwas
15-01-2010, 20:23
Best pint this week, Bathams MILD at the Britannia in Gornal, sheer class. I was pretty drunk by the time i got to the Bull in Sedgely for the Holden's MILD, so have to go with the Bathams - it also gets the best pub

worst pub, Bentley Green, Walsall - a twiggy arty sculpturey place

You wll be pleased to hear DoY in Lichfield selling Holdens Mild but very expensive at £2.80 :eek:

Soup Dragon
15-01-2010, 20:24
You wll be pleased to hear DoY in Lichfield selling Holdens Mild but very expensive at £2.80 :eek:

HOW MUCH - its £1.90 at the Lamp in Bloko - still, its the best pint around, so i will try it at the DoY - have you had it yet?

hopwas
15-01-2010, 20:31
HOW MUCH - its £1.90 at the Lamp in Bloko - still, its the best pint around, so i will try it at the DoY - have you had it yet?

Yep after that pub crawl from hell last Tuesday. It is very pleasant pint, I know it is very pricey but hey you gotta bite your lip if you want MILD!

Soup Dragon
15-01-2010, 20:33
Yep after that pub crawl from hell last Tuesday. It is very pleasant pint, I know it is very pricey but hey you gotta bite your lip if you want MILD!

Or for you, go the Globe in Tamworth, they do it

hopwas
15-01-2010, 20:36
Or for you, go the Globe in Tamworth, they do it

There is two Globes in Tamworth :whistle:

So which one..

Soup Dragon
15-01-2010, 20:41
There is two Globes in Tamworth :whistle:

So which one..

Which one has my review, you lazy git!!!!!

hopwas
15-01-2010, 20:46
Which one has my review, you lazy git!!!!!

:D I knew which one anyway. It doesnt serve Holdens anymore and replaced with M&B Mild.

runningdog
15-01-2010, 23:31
My beer of the week is going to have to be from a bottle, everything off a pump this week has been pretty dire. Come to think of it though, if I go back to last Sunday, there were three decent pints of Ringwood Porter in the Crown, Winterborne Stickland. The Crowns a favourite of mine, decent beer, better food and friendly staff. The only snag to the place is it's in the middle of nowhere and about 30 miles from home. Don't even think about public transport.
Back to the beer of the week...:drinkup:...no argument, two bottles of Orkney Dark Island, even the Beast has to play second fiddle...:cheers:

runningdog
15-01-2010, 23:33
Oh goody gumdrops, I'm not associated with spritzer anymore...:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::cheers::glas s:

ROBCamra
16-01-2010, 12:03
Had a couple of pints of the excellent Hawkshead Organic Stout in the Baum last night. I hope it makes it through to tonight :drinkup:

micky1234
16-01-2010, 17:38
called in at the newly relandladyed Woolpack in Beverley E.Yorks today .. roaring real fire and roaring Marstons Snecklifter in excellent form .. they also threatened Old Thumper by Ringwood .. but it wasn't available sadley .. anyway Sneckifter will be me beer of the week as will be back there tomorrow .. unless Old Thumpers on .. wich will then be me new beer of the week .. probably ..

oldboots
16-01-2010, 18:18
Back to the beer of the week...:drinkup:...no argument, two bottles of Orkney Dark Island, even the Beast has to play second fiddle...:cheers:

Sadly the worst pint I had this week was Orkney Dark Island but fair play to the Landlord he did say it was "past its best" and replaced it with Cairngorm Witches Cauldron which was pretty damn good - my beer of the week.

Winerborne Stickland

Winerborne? Touch of the yockels there old boy? ooh arr ooh arr ay :D

Any chance of a smiley with a straw in its mouth for those wes' guntrey moments? :p

runningdog
16-01-2010, 21:33
Any chance of a smiley with a straw in its mouth for those wes' guntrey moments? :p

Not a chance, bootsy. By 'eck, bootsy and snudge, that's going back a bit. Hard luck with the Island, I've not tried Witches Cauldron but I usually like Cairngorm beers. Seriously though, you ever fetch up around Blandford, the Crown is well worth the effort..........:drinkup::cheers:

RogerB
16-01-2010, 22:26
After watching Spurs this afternoon, every beer I have had tonight is a contender for Beer of the Week. :mad:

runningdog
17-01-2010, 01:20
Any chance of a smiley with a straw in its mouth for those wes' guntrey moments?

I nearly missed that. Hey you Lancs man, I live in the South, not the West Country, and don't you ferget it:mad::o:drinkup::drinkup:

arwkrite
17-01-2010, 09:13
I notice a deafening silence about an industrial dispute in Belgium which is threatening supplies of Knuckle Draggers Friend a.k.a Stella.
Strangely my local ran out of Hobsons but had plenty of Stella.It was only when halfway down it that I was overcome by remorse and had bad feelings that perhaps I was acting as a strike breaker. I removed myself to a pub down the road where a pint each of Doombar and HSA salved my conscience .
Thankfully supplies of Hobsons bitter have now resumed. No dog dirt has been pushed through my letterbox or "Scab " written in lipstick on my windows so perhaps no one noticed my transgression.

oldboots
17-01-2010, 09:40
I nearly missed that. Hey you Lancs man, I live in the South, not the West Country, and don't you ferget it:mad::o:drinkup::drinkup:

LANCS! :eek: born in Glasgow I'll have you know :nishelypished:

I thought you be Dorzet - Gateway to the West. 'ampsher is the south

Bootsie & Snudge - Bill Fraser and Alfie Bass or is it the other way round? Just remember it but not the Army Game of course - much too young :p.

arwkrite
17-01-2010, 10:15
Bootsie = Alfie

oldboots
17-01-2010, 10:24
Bootsie = Alfie

I'm obliged, thanks Mr A

BTW apparently the Belgians are running out of beer and someone is trying to organise Beer Aid for them along the lines of Live Aid, its all here (http://cookinglager.blogspot.com/2010/01/beer-aid.html)

arwkrite
17-01-2010, 10:31
Sorry about that terse reply. My networks gone weird this morning. I think that the router may be defrosting. The signal keeps dropping out then trying to attach it self to a BT Openzone which I do not subscribe to.May be its sunspots?

Bootsie = Alfie
Snudge = Bill

As a kid I remember preferring the replaced Army Game. Perhaps the comedy was a bit more grown up.
Being a Midlander I will retire to my ex council, no expense spared , nuclear shelter while the age old battle of North versus South rages overhead. That is after I have been to the Co-Op and got enough cases of whats on offer to see me through the conflict.

trainman
17-01-2010, 10:57
Stockport's Crown (Heaton La) was in its usual sparkling form yesterday with all 16 pumps in action. For lovers of the dark side there was a mild, a honey porter, and Marble Chocolate Stout, then 13 ales, many golden, plus a 6.9% cider.
Millstone Tiger Rut & Pictish Brewers Gold were (as expected) splendid, but I'll give this week's gong, just, to Salopian Prohibition (4.6%).

Conrad
17-01-2010, 17:48
Ok, I have started up a couple of sticky threads:
Beer of the Week (w/e 17 January 2010) (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?817-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-17-Jan-2010%29)
Beer of the Week (w/e 24 January 2010) (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29)

I have provided an explanation in the earlier thread, it is meant as a bit of fun, so if putting structure on it makes it serious or pointless I will desert it, but figured it might keep the chatter going a bit more. Also unstickied this thread.

runningdog
18-01-2010, 15:34
I thought you be Dorzet - Gateway to the West. 'ampsher is the south

See, now you know how I feel. Dorset a gateway, we don't even have a motorway. Any road up, and ours usually are, the Hants border is only 3/4 of a mile a way........:)...:drinkup:

runningdog
18-01-2010, 15:46
As a kid I remember preferring...Army Game. Perhaps the comedy was a bit more grown up.

It made me laugh, which is more than I can say about most present day comedy. I've got a couple of 2WW tin hats here, I'd send you one, but I reckon we'll have made up before the mailmen have decided whether it's a bomb or not. Just as long as he accepts my point of view, and allows me to ignore his.
West Country indeed, straw in mouth, I ask you..........:drinkup::cheers::glass:..I needed that..........

oldboots
18-01-2010, 15:47
we don't even have a motorway. .....the Hants border is only 3/4 of a mile a way........:)...:drinkup:

There's five M'ways in Hants so maybe they got yours:D anyway you wouldn't really want one, too much trouble, what would Granfer say?

Maybe you should update the old Peter Sellers sketch and challenge the virtues of Bal-ham Gateway to the South! :p

runningdog
18-01-2010, 15:56
There's five M'ways in Hants so maybe they got yours

They can keep it, far too much trouble. Hardly anyone stops here anyhow, they all charge on through to the 'West Country', which they are welcome to do, apart from those that get siphoned off into Bournemouth and the Purbeck. Which is how uz an Somerzet like it.
Holidaymakers, Bah Humbug..........:drinkup:... There, see, you made me have anther...

ROBCamra
18-01-2010, 16:11
Had a couple of pints of the excellent Hawkshead Organic Stout in the Baum last night. I hope it makes it through to tonight :drinkup:

It lasted (just) and I managed another pint before it went.

RogerB
19-01-2010, 13:10
I did have a pint of Weltons Something or Other the other night - a whopping 7.8% which was pretty good for a beer of such strength (and I'm not usually a great fan of Weltons). I can't remember its name (for obvious reasons), just the strength and it isn't mentioned on their website so no idea what it actually was.
Found out - it was called Xmas Maximus! There was a similar strength beer last year called Imperial Festive so it may be the same thing but rebadged. I hate it when they do that! :mad:

runningdog
19-01-2010, 21:05
In a way I hope this won't finish up as my beer of the week, but I thought it worth a mention. In my local my fall back beer has for years now been Directors. But, perhaps not anymore, I'd not realised that Erdinger was a wheat beer, so I gave it a go.
I have to say it's pretty good, would love to try in it on draught.....:glass::glass:

arwkrite
19-01-2010, 22:05
I know Bombardier gets some stick in some quarters but I like it if its fresh and well looked after. But it is not a common beer where I live so perhaps I don't have chance to get bored with it.

RogerB
19-01-2010, 22:28
I know Bombardier gets some stick in some quarters but I like it if its fresh and well looked after. But it is not a common beer where I live so perhaps I don't have chance to get bored with it.

Bombardier is one of the London Pub safe options along with Pride, GK IPA and Youngs. I'm pretty sick at the sight of all of them.

arwkrite
19-01-2010, 22:37
Bombardier and Pride are found occasionally as guest bitters . GK and Martons/ Banks are everywhere. Youngs is rarely seen, last one I had was at Portsmouth earlier this year.

Wittenden
19-01-2010, 23:27
Bombardier is one of the London Pub safe options along with Pride, GK IPA and Youngs. I'm pretty sick at the sight of all of them.

How times change-when I made my early trips to London in the 70's, we used to train it out to Wandsworth to"go to a Youngs pub". Mind you the beer was good then-not so sure about it now, appart from being bored by it.

Eddie86
20-01-2010, 00:09
I was on Hoegaarden last night, but it seems to have given me an almighty headache today. Given that I nearly finished the bottle, I'll say TNP for my BOTW