PDA

View Full Version : Legendary pubs

oldboots
29-11-2009, 17:27
Forget Roger Protz and that lot, does anyone have their own list of legendary pubs, pubs so famous and revered that you really must visit them just to see what the fuss is about? Further more have you visited one of these places of pilgrimage and if so was it all you expected and more or just one big anti-climax? Are there any pubs you still long to visit?

Here's my (shortened) list anyway

The Blue Anchor Helston, Cornwall,
“The” homebrew pub renowed for its strong Spingo beer. All I expected and more but the beer was a surprise.

The Bree Louise, Euston, London,
darling of London real ale fanatics but not with me, a dreadful place.

The Philharmonic, Liverpool,
Britain's most ornate pub perhaps. A privilege to take a leak here.

Roscoe Head, Liverpool,
in every GBG ever! Owned by the same family since Adam was a lad. Lovely pub, lovely beer.

The Kelham Island Tavern, Sheffield,
winner of more awards than you can shake a stick at. Much as expected but still a couple of surprises.

The Stalybridge Station Buffet,
most famous stop on the trans-Pennine Rail ale tour. Trains and beer are heaven to me.

Birch Hall Inn, Beck Hole, Yorkshire
back in time for Heartbeat fans. Small but beautifully put together.

The Fox, Bristol,
an old one this, The Fox was one of a small group of pubs owned by CAMRA in the late 1970s, I liked it a lot, anyone else remember it?

The George, Borough High St, London
half timbered and galleried, an extraordinary survivor, shame about the beer.

and those I've still to visit

Cherry Tree, Tintern, Gwent.
The Swan (Old Ma Pardoes), Netherton, Dudley.
The Crown, Stockport (that one under the viaduct)
The Sun Inn, Leintwardine. Herefordshire.
Butt and Oyster, Pin Mill, Suffolk.
Prospect of Whitby, Wapping, London.
Black Friars, London.

Sadly I missed the one where they filmed the first scene of Get Carter, it was demolished soon after the film came out.

micky1234
29-11-2009, 19:03
there is a pub in Beverley E.Yorks called The White Horse .. but known as Nellies .. which is one such pub .. Nellie was a former landlady in the days when this pub had no beer engines but barrels racked against the bar wall .. she used to rinse the glasses in a washing up bowl using the same water all evening with the slops equaling the spillage of dirty water over an evening .. its still a gas lit Dickensian place to this day .. it has a main bar and lots of little snugs wher you can enjoy cheap Sam Smiths handpulled ale .. its a bit rough unless you start a crawl with it .. no good coming in after visiting the Cornerhouse across the road and supping their excellent Abbott Ale .. its an experience is Nellies .. no pretensions .. a step back in time .. well worth a visit ..: :glass:

Soup Dragon
29-11-2009, 19:20
Hi Mikey1234 - how is Hull!

OB, my friend, there are so many legends by me - as i am sure, by you. I will take you to many in Brum, if you sort yourself out and get a trip organised!

Ma P's is a good place, but as too many on these websites do not realise, the midlands has more to offer in Brum and other places. I am here to educate you, as you did with me in the northern town of Derby! all reports now on PG! Let me take you to Digbeth, Hockley, or whatever - you are, like me, but a junior(ish) in the world!

No twigs - i assure you:muppet:

Oggwyn Trench
29-11-2009, 19:30
Crackers

White Horse , Oxford , Tiny gem of a place , a must do in Oxford , ouzes charm

Lamb & Flag , Oxford , Great pub , probally best in Oxford

Sun Inn , Leintwardine , Historic , unspoiled , a real "public house"

Loggerheads , Shrewsbury , Historic town centre pub , even the beers good now

All Nations , Madley , Shropshire , Just a pub , Homebrew beer and good conversation

Railway , Yorton , Shropshire , hardly changed since new owners took over in 1935

Disapointing

Eagle&Child , Oxford , Not the pub it should be , the Americans dont help either

Boathouse , Shrewsbury , In every country pub guide , great location doesnt make up for garden full of chavy knobheads and crap beer , atmosphere

Gone but not forgotten

Fox & Hounds , Stotesdon , Shropshire ,Village brewpub in middle of nowhere , Log fires and various cats , dogs curled up on seats , wonderfull

Unicorn , Beverly , Shropshire , The place i discovered Bathams but this pails compared with the pubs Heaven Gate Bitter , the best beer i have ever drunk

This lots off the top of my head , i wiil be lying awake tonight thinking of more

hopwas
29-11-2009, 19:52

OB, my friend, there are so many legends by me - as i am sure, by you. I will take you to many in Brum, if you sort yourself out and get a trip organised!

Ma P's is a good place, but as too many on these websites do not realise, the midlands has more to offer in Brum and other places. I am here to educate you, as you did with me in the northern town of Derby! all reports now on PG! Let me take you to Digbeth, Hockley, or whatever - you are, like me, but a junior(ish) in the world!

Aye! I gotta agree what you said.. Brum is full of mysteries! Digbeth is bit depressed place to drink (apart The Anchor and The white Swan) The Black Eagle in Hockley. Barton Arms in Aston. Old Joint Stock in Colmore row. I could go on....

Oh I am sure I saw a twigs in one of Brum pubs...:rolleyes:

Oggwyn Trench
29-11-2009, 20:15

Yes the delights of Bridgnorth , Shrewsbury , Ludlow , Bishops Castle , technically "the Marches" but classified as the midlands .
Cant believe i left out the Railwaymans , Bridgenorth and Three Tuns , Bishops Castle , oh and the Bhutphore , Wrenbury ...... White Lion , Ash Magna this could go on for ages :)

Eddie86
29-11-2009, 20:53
*Ahem*:D:rolleyes:

It's one of my ambitions for the pub, to be one of those 'must visit' places, but slowly slowly catch... It's taken us 3 years to go from 2 - 5 ales, GBG and POTY bronze win, in my minds eye I would like to get there in another 5 years, when the microbrewery is up and running and the pumps have trebled (although 2 will be cider, one perry, leaving just 12 for ale :D)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the barrels in Hereford - the thing that makes it so special for me is the fact theres nothing particularly special about it. It's got atmosphere every time I've walked in - nowhere else has managed that with me personally.

I drove from Hay to Hunstanton, on the North Nofolk coast (my home-town) when I had 3 days off in a row, so that the middle day I could get a 1.5hr coach to Norwich to visit the Fat Cat, get the coach back and drive back the third day. Completely worth it in every single way - I even got to have some Bishops finger ;)

oldboots
30-11-2009, 09:49
there is a pub in Beverley E.Yorks called The White Horse .. but known as Nellies .. which is one such pub ..

Absolutely, Nellies is legendary and every time I'm on the A1079 it's really hard not to go back there. Hull's not bad and York is a legend in its own lunchtime but then I'm biased :D

All Nations , Madley , Shropshire , Just a pub , Homebrew beer and good conversation

How could I forget the All Nations, basic interior but the Dabley Ale....mmmm. Might do Shrewsbury one day it has a reasonable reputation for ale.

Barton Arms in Aston
another gin palace legend already on my list

the Railwaymans , Bridgenorth and Three Tuns , Bishops Castle , oh and the Bhutphore
The Three Tuns is in the same category as the All Nations, one of the last remaining old brewpubs in the seventies and definitely on my list, the Railwaymans is excellent and I only know the Bhurtpore by repute so it must be legendary.

*Ahem*:D:rolleyes:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the barrels in Hereford - the thing that makes it so special for me is the fact theres nothing particularly special about it. It's got atmosphere every time I've walked in - nowhere else has managed that with me personally.

.... I could get a 1.5hr coach to Norwich to visit the Fat Cat,

The Barrels has quite a reputation and must be on anyone's list ditto the Fat Cat (both the Norwich one and the Sheffield one). I'd better add that place in Hay to my list while I'm at it, Kilverts is it? :D

Soupy, I will fit in Brum and the Black Country one day

Soup Dragon
30-11-2009, 10:19
I have just done a tour of the NON-legendary pubs/bars in Walsall, hilarious. Some i walked in and out of, some i had to drink Guinness and in some i got alleged real ale; whatever, i had to keep stopping after 3 places to go to a proper pub to keep sane.

To be fair - what i mean to say is that these places were not my kind of place, and i intended to drink just half pints from the start (apart from pit-stop breaks at proper pubs). I wanted to be fair and see what they were like and i did!

in order - Varsity, Yates', Martha's Vineyard, [Fountain for a decent beer], Bar Sport, Revolution, Tommy's Bar, [Black Country Arms for decent beer], Henri's Bar (closed), R1, Starting Gate, Bar NV [Lyndon for a decent ale]

oldboots
30-11-2009, 11:00
I have just done a tour of the NON-legendary pubs/bars in Walsall, hilarious. Some i walked in and out of, some i had to drink Guinness and in some i got alleged real ale; whatever, i had to keep stopping after 3 places to go to a proper pub to keep sane.

You are indeed a dedicated and brave drinker, fearlessly going into Yates and a Revolution, to name but two dark places :eek: .

Are you going to start a thread on Britain's Worst Pubs or maybe a Bad Twig Guide? Perhaps the unit of measurement could be the British Standard Twig? one twig for a bit of a dive, five twigs for any "It's A Scream" :D

My list of bad pubs is a wee bit longer than my (ever growing, thanks guys) list of legendary ones.

aleandhearty
30-11-2009, 13:29
Hi 'ob' great thread. Wrote a long post in reply, only to get timed out. Signed in again to be met with a blank screen and not returned to what I was working on. After waiting and waiting, tried clicking back. Lost it! :moremad:

Maybe try again later when I've calmed down.

Farway
30-11-2009, 14:18
Blue Anchor, Helston, went a few years back, no, it was more than that, it was Diana's wedding & we were working down Falmouth, you can work it out

Prospect of Whitby, yes, but blowed if I can remember any of it, too many dead brain cells now

One round here was the Sussex brewery over at Emsworth
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13419/

It had micro brewery at the back, sawdust on the wooden floor, sold local home made sausages [uncooked] and won awards for them

Sadly now just another roadside pub, may still sell bangers though

Of Pompey fame was The Albany, with the Lennox a few doors down, sadly both long closed. The beer was awful Brickwoods, but many were on the scrumpy at 4d a pint :glass:

It those walls could speak you would have to cover your ears

oldboots
30-11-2009, 14:56
One round here was the Sussex brewery over at Emsworth
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13419/

It had micro brewery at the back, sawdust on the wooden floor, sold local home made sausages [uncooked] and won awards for them

Talking of the Emsworth area there used to be a brewery in the Old House at House at Chidham, whatever happened to that?

I'm not sure you should put sawdust and sausages in the same sentence :p

Conrad
30-11-2009, 15:33
Hi 'ob' great thread. Wrote a long post in reply, only to get timed out. Signed in again to be met with a blank screen and not returned to what I was working on. After waiting and waiting, tried clicking back. Lost it! :moremad:

Maybe try again later when I've calmed down.
I have been searching around for the last hour for a solution to this and there just isn't an easy one short of me recoding the forum to come up with a novel solution, and currently I don't have the time for that.

Can I check are you using 'remember me' when you log in? And if not is it safe for you to do so on the computer you are using? As this should instantly stop you getting this issue.

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 11:46
Me being a slow typist I often get timed out yet other times I dont. Its all beyond me.

Conrad
04-12-2009, 13:15
Arwkrite,

Are you able to use "remember me" when you log in, and is it causing you to lose any of your posts now?

Thanks, just gathering information on the problem.

arwkrite
04-12-2009, 15:39
Hello Conrad, I tick the remember me box when loging on but lost a thread today. It does stop me rambling on which us BOFs have a habit of doing.
I sympathise with Aleanhearty though having put in so much effort.
If I start a list I tend to forget what its about and end up wittering away about the price of fish, just dont ask!.:D

Conrad
04-12-2009, 15:49
Bugger, that is bad then. I am inclined to think it is a problem with your browser - the most unhelpful answer ever.

When you lose the post it is presumably because a login screen appears? If that is the case do you try logging in, or do you hit the back button? If you login, it should still make the post.

Keep me informed so that we can try and sort it out.

runningdog
21-12-2009, 21:02
I once tried to compile a list of 100 pubs to visit before I die, I raised the limit to 250, then quit when it passed 500..........

Soup Dragon
21-12-2009, 21:26
I once tried to compile a list of 100 pubs to visit before I die, I raised the limit to 250, then quit when it passed 500..........

you need help rd!

i have a list of one -

1. do the next one:rolleyes: