PDA

View Full Version : FAO Oldboots and Soupy

hopwas
26-11-2009, 15:05
Iam planning whistle stop tour in Derby including Brewery Tap, Smithfield, Wardwick Tavern plus few others in coming weeks. I havent visited these pub well over 2 years and it would be nice to coming back to Derby.

I may be brave enough to revisit Station Inn since my "unpleasant" experience :rolleyes:

Will keep you updated and bring back with reports.

Soup Dragon
26-11-2009, 15:45
Iam planning whistle stop tour in Derby including Brewery Tap, Smithfield, Wardwick Tavern plus few others in coming weeks. I havent visited these pub well over 2 years and it would be nice to coming back to Derby.

I may be brave enough to revisit Station Inn since my "unpleasant" experience :rolleyes:

Will keep you updated and bring back with reports.

Just DONT talk about Bonnie Prince Charlie - OB ensured that the whole of Derby knows about him:p - oh, and dont mention the war:rolleyes:

On the plus side, ask every woman you meet where the Flowerpot is - we may re-unite OB with the mystery 'gal':love:

oldboots
26-11-2009, 16:12
Don't get me started (again) on that bluddy italian chancer who ..... :moremad:

anyway as Soupy says don't mention the war to mad ex- riflemen in the Dolphin; "to the regiment - I wish I'd been there".

Don't worry about the Station it's probably only worth a quick pint, I look forward to seeing your reviews - it will aid our next visit. I'd like to be there but unfortunately I think I can only do one more biggish crawl before Christmas, maybe the Sheffield Valley of Beer part II or the Rail-Ale to Stalybridge and back. I might manage a midweek night in Netherton (Ma Pardoes) in mid December and one in Salford or Manchester the day after. I'm definitely having a Thursday night in Liverpool in December.

Soup Dragon
26-11-2009, 16:19
Don't get me started (again) on that bluddy italian chancer who ..... :moremad:

anyway as Soupy says don't mention the war to mad ex- riflemen in the Dolphin; "to the regiment - I wish I'd been there".

Don't worry about the Station it's probably only worth a quick pint, I look forward to seeing your reviews - it will aid our next visit. I'd like to be there but unfortunately I think I can only do one more biggish crawl before Christmas, maybe the Sheffield Valley of Beer part II or the Rail-Ale to Stalybridge and back. I might manage a midweek night in Netherton (Ma Pardoes) in mid December and one in Salford or Manchester the day after. I'm definitely having a Thursday night in Liverpool in December.

Just managed a couple of the derby reviews so far OB - Station and Alex. Keep me posted on Netherton, i may be able to make that if you on your own. We can chat about the Titanic - i think that's where they made the anchors! Needless to say, you cant get a pint of iceberg to save your life in Netherton!:rolleyes:

oldboots
26-11-2009, 16:33
Just managed a couple of the derby reviews so far OB - Station and Alex. Keep me posted on Netherton, i may be able to make that if you on your own. We can chat about the Titanic - i think that's where they made the anchors! Needless to say, you cant get a pint of iceberg to save your life in Netherton!:rolleyes:

Wasn't it the anchor chains? I'll PM you about W.Mids once confirmed, it should be Mon 14th Dec.

Soup Dragon
26-11-2009, 16:50
Wasn't it the anchor chains? I'll PM you about W.Mids once confirmed, it should be Mon 14th Dec.

I am sure it was the anchors, as well

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history--heritage/archive-and-local-history/photographs-from-the-past

Have a look at Dudley Archives' website!

oldboots
26-11-2009, 16:55
I stand corrected, must have misremembered something Fred Dibnah said, bludy Guinness drinkers. Nice site

Soup Dragon
26-11-2009, 16:59
The anchor is the only thing still intact on the Titanic - legend has it they mixed Ma Pardoe's Dark Swan into the iron when casting!:rolleyes:

Soup Dragon
26-11-2009, 17:00
By the way, Hoppy, i was thinking of a walk from Winlecote up to Fazeley, is it worth doing?:glass:

hopwas
26-11-2009, 17:19
By the way, Hoppy, i was thinking of a walk from Winlecote up to Fazeley, is it worth doing?:glass:

Well. personally, no.

However there is few good pubs on the way to Fazeley.

Start from Wilnecote..

Red Lion.. Community pub. Just had redecorated recently

Queens Head.. I know they DO sell MILD!!! ;)

Globe Inn (closed in afternoons between 3pm to 7pm) Very good pub. Darts board. More social club than pub. Not sure about MILD through.

Railway Inn CLOSED very run down pub. Vandals regularly visit pub.

PIT STOP fish and shop opposite Bulls Head at traffic junction.

Bulls Head. Marstons owned. My last visit was way back in 2005.

Then long walk to Plough and Harrow, Fazeley. Very popular.

(You can visit Three Horseshoes hidden behind Plough and Harrow. Very traditional pub.)

Over the Bridge

Three Tuns.. Canal side pub. CAUTION may be closed in few weeks.

Lastly, Longwood.. family pub

Soup Dragon
27-11-2009, 15:23
Cheers, Sonny Jim - i will perhaps look to do these a few at a time then. I have a few mates in Tamworth, I will see what they say.

The Duke of York in Lichfield is to re-open next week i think - i hope to be there!