PDA

View Full Version : Census

gillhalfpint
08-03-2011, 15:16
Have just completed the census on-line. A doddle on there.

Great to get a load of questions without being asked how many units of alcohol I consume.

Alesonly
08-03-2011, 17:17
Yes I done mine online today as well. lts much easyer than trying too fill the paper one

RogerB
08-03-2011, 17:58
I don't think you're supposed to do it until 27 March - the info is supposed to be a snapshot of that particular date. If you have a sudden house full of visitors that night who get snowed in then you'll probably end up in the Tower for giving false information!:rolleyes:

gillhalfpint
08-03-2011, 21:01
That's what I couldn't understand. The paper version can't be completed till 27.3.11 but on-line it's from 4.3.11. It says to complete it as though it is being done on census day.

RogerB
08-03-2011, 21:36
Bizarre. Best hope London doesn't get nuked between 4 and 27 March - would really make a mess of the figures.

Evil Gazebo
08-03-2011, 22:52
I'm stuck on Question 17.

gillhalfpint
08-03-2011, 23:20
Q 17 gave us a giggle.

Alesonly
09-03-2011, 08:54
I think the main reason behind you being able too do it on-line from the fourth is if everyone left it till the 27th of March it would bring down the Government computer system's again. This happened a few years ago when everyone tried to put in there Tax returns on the last day so it looks like they learnt there lesson from it then. It Would be like 27 Million + people trying too log onto this site at the same time it would probably cause it too crash with a denial of service error.

Conrad
09-03-2011, 12:43
Bizarre. Best hope London doesn't get nuked between 4 and 27 March - would really make a mess of the figures.
Even excusing nuclear attacks it seems likely that a few people are going to die after being filled into a census. Potential fun for genealogists in the future trying to compromise the fact that someone died on the 20th March but were then living in their home on 27 March.

It is evidence for the supernatural I tell you ;)

NickDavies
09-03-2011, 13:35
Even excusing nuclear attacks it seems likely that a few people are going to die after being filled into a census. Potential fun for genealogists in the future trying to compromise the fact that someone died on the 20th March but were then living in their home on 27 March.

It is evidence for the supernatural I tell you ;)

And quite a few will be in two places at once.

Farway
09-03-2011, 14:06

As someone who does Family History / genealogical research may I make a plea on behalf of your unborn descendants?

Please do a paper census return, and what is more make a copy [scan & print it]

The 1911 census became available in January, 100 years after your ancestors filled it in, you can see their handwriting plus signatures and details of the family

Please save your unborn descendants a 100 year wait by copying your 2011 paper return

PS thanks to paper returns I know my great great great grandfather was blind in 1861, information I would never know without a census return, so go on, do a paper one & make a copy

RogerB
09-03-2011, 14:22
I know from the 1901 census that my great grandfather was in Bournemouth prison!

gillhalfpint
09-03-2011, 15:59
Or do what I did, fill it in on the paper one first then transfer the info to the on line one, and file the paper one!

Simples!!

Alesonly
09-03-2011, 17:47
Or do what I did, fill it in on the paper one first then transfer the info to the on line one, and file the paper one!

Simples!!

Thats what I did yesterday as well because I made a few mistakes on the paper one which I then corrected but it looked a mess. I then done the online one and i will keep the paper one on file good Idea.
As all the paper ones are going too be scanned into a computer by the ONS I think they will shred them after not keep them like we do at work most documents we get now are scanned then shredded not kept.

Strongers
09-03-2011, 19:02
PS thanks to paper returns I know my great great great grandfather was blind in 1861, information I would never know without a census return, so go on, do a paper one & make a copy

Maybe he just had really bad hand writing!

Crossste
10-03-2011, 06:47
I dont know if anybody else applied for a job involved with the census. I did, as a collector, which was done on line.

After getting through the initial stage which was only location, eligibility to work in UK etc, i then had to go through what they called the Siftability test. This wasn,t a test it was an examination! It stated it would take about 30 mins and was multi choice based on what you would do in certain fictitious events. IIRC you had to give 3 answer in order of importance to each question.

After 45 mins i was about half way through, according to the links i had to click on for each section, so i gave up and went to the pub. What a load of B******s. All for the princely sum of summat like £8 per hour.

A week or so later i got a email stating that i had an uncompleted application and would i like to continue as they were still looking for people in my area. Unfortunately it was from a no-reply e-address so i could not correspond.

I think the site is still live for collecting jobs in certain areas. If you,ve got an hour or more to kill give it a go. Then again it could be me.

gillhalfpint
10-03-2011, 07:40
That sounds like the test I did a few years ago for a Sainsbury's job. It was pages of questions to put in order and for most of them I wanted a new box - none of the above. I started ticking in rotation, a then b then c then a etc.

Didn't get the job.

Conrad
10-03-2011, 11:13
I'm stuck on Question 17.
You don't know whether or not you speak Welsh?

Evil Gazebo
10-03-2011, 11:32

Haha! I googled census question 17; I'm now guessing you live in Wales?

(not really...)

RogerB
10-03-2011, 11:35
I often talk a complete load of b0110cks which could easily be mistaken for welsh.

ROBCamra
10-03-2011, 11:35

Q17 is blank on ours and I suspect most others. The "Do you speak Welsh" question must only be used on Welsh papers plus the adjoining counties.

When I worked in Bristle for SWEB Retail I had lots of colleagues who were Welsh speakers despite living on the English side of the bridge. :p

Conrad
10-03-2011, 11:46
Haha! I googled census question 17; I'm now guessing you live in Wales?

(not really...)
Nice hidden message there :)

They mentioned it on the Today program this morning, hence my delay in being clever ;)

Farway
11-03-2011, 13:16
Nice hidden message there :)

They mentioned it on the Today program this morning, hence my delay in being clever ;)

I saw this somewhere, the Register maybe? The response in box 17 was to be "I have deliberately not answered this question"