PDA

View Full Version : A murder of crows

Conrad
23-11-2009, 15:43
Other than attempting to come up with the most misleading title on the forum I am looking for an improved group term.

After another little spat about Postal Towns I am looking to try and improve some of the terminology on the main site. At the moment we call sub-divisions of towns - villages, even though they may be towns, villages or just divisions of some form.

So can anyone think of a collective term that more obviously covers both towns and villages?

hopwas
23-11-2009, 15:58
Other than attempting to come up with the most misleading title on the forum I am looking for an improved group term.

After another little spat about Postal Towns I am looking to try and improve some of the terminology on the main site. At the moment we call sub-divisions of towns - villages, even though they may be towns, villages or just divisions of some form.

So can anyone think of a collective term that more obviously covers both towns and villages?

Hmm.. I got an excellent idea.

Why not you go to Coleshill and do the door to door survey.. :rolleyes:

Joking aside.. How about Borough or District?

oldboots
23-11-2009, 16:17
I had a look in Roget's Thesaurus, fat lot of good that was. I can't think of a one word term that fits the bill, maybe "communities" but that sounds a bit daft. "nearby places" says what it is but isn't exactly snappy.

Conrad
23-11-2009, 17:13
How about Borough or District?

So would you accept Coleshill being called a Borough or a District?

Truthfully both would confuse me more than village, as neither for me implies much of an identity.

I had a look in Roget's Thesaurus, fat lot of good that was. I can't think of a one word term that fits the bill, maybe "communities" but that sounds a bit daft. "nearby places" says what it is but isn't exactly snappy.

Oddly we have to avoid nearby as some of the "places" are nearer other postal towns than the ones they are assigned to :o.

The whole thing is a bl**dy nightmare, still at least I can share a little.

hopwas
23-11-2009, 17:21
So would you accept Coleshill being called a Borough or a District?

Truthfully both would confuse me more than village, as neither for me implies much of an identity.

Good point..

Yeah this becoming a nightmare for us affected ;)

Hey Conrad lets leave as it was like before. No point to change everything.

Iam prepared to give this subject to bed..:D

Soup Dragon
23-11-2009, 17:57
this is a minefield

taking the advice of the domesday book, whose smallest administrative unit would be a balliwick, or sub-manor (under-manor) - you could use sub-settlement to describe anything under whatever level you set - so it could include hamlet, village, town, as long as you state at whatever level you set it at.

Personally - give it up, simply put a disclaimer on the appropriate page saying it is for guidance only!:p

Conrad
23-11-2009, 18:10
It is a serious question rather than a dig, we aren't about to change from Postal towns as they are simplest.

But if we can find a phrase that makes you think, if I click on this it will show me Coleshill - which admittedly "Show Villages" probably doesn't then it is an improvement. Best I have come up with so far is "show Postal Districts", but I still think villages is probably better if less accurate.

Farway
24-11-2009, 13:15
Well I thought of Parish, but then realised this would provoke more problems, like is it in St Marks ot All Saints, so gave up & went to bed

I think perhaps just some sort of guidance that "villages" in large cities means "area" or "district"

Also realised that Pompey can divide into loads more areas, such as Fratton [home of PFC], but reckoned if I did it then there would be no pubs in Portsmouth, they would all be in Villages / districts, more reason to just leave things be

hopwas
24-11-2009, 15:29
Hey Conrad..Something to calm your nerve about Postal Towns..

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/movie-uk-09751cefaa7a9fc362b6af68ceae8bdc.html

:D

Conrad
24-11-2009, 17:08
For some reason my home Internet connection has gone AWOL again (once again Virgin Media showing their fantastic commitment to Customer service). I can see half the video and the half I can see is certainly very amusing. :D

hopwas
24-11-2009, 17:15
For some reason my home Internet connection has gone AWOL again (once again Virgin Media showing their fantastic commitment to Customer service). I can see half the video and the half I can see is certainly very amusing. :D

Oh thats shame! please do watch the video again in near future.

Iam off to watch Tamworth Vs Altrincham very soon..

Maybe quick pint at Silk Kite (providing there is no Polish woman lurking in Gents!)

Conrad
24-11-2009, 21:34
Ok, was definitely worth it for the punchline.

As to Polish women, how can they resist, if you are going to flash that much chest, if only you were wearing a medallion to top it off (ref Video).

Conrad
07-12-2009, 16:03
Del has just submitted a new pub in Pontrhydfendigaid (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67952/), not somewhere we personally know. Dave has just been investigating the pub before approving it and I ended up being nosey to see what was going on.

Anyway we need somewhere to shove the village of Pontrhydfendigaid and were as such looking for it's postal town. Upon looking it up on the Royal Mail site it sadly turns out to be Ystrad Meurig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ystrad_Meurig), which unbelievably is on the list of Postal Towns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post_towns_in_the_United_Kingdom). I have never been to Ystrad Meurig and it is probably a lovely place but I am a little disturbed that we potentially were about to add a Postal Town with a population smaller than the rather short road I live on.

Dave has decided to go with the common sense approach on this one and instead hide it under Tregaron (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/tregaron/dyfed/), partly as we have no pubs to put under the Postal Town of Ystrad Meurig.

Thought that might amuse any of the dissenters to the current hocum system.

arwkrite
07-12-2009, 20:37
Now that is out of the way. Last visited the area in the 60's helping out at a summer camp for boys who were blind or close to it. That was in my action man days. Just thinking about it is enough to wear me out now.
Like a lot of Wales its very pretty when its not raining or the fog has lifted.

hopwas
08-12-2009, 11:06
Thought that might amuse any of the dissenters to the current hocum system.

Oh I want discuss about lovely little town just outside Birmingham called Coleshill...

Conrad
08-12-2009, 12:53
Well I'll give you this much, at least it has a population greater than 100

aleandhearty
08-12-2009, 13:05
Like a lot of Wales its very pretty when its not raining or the fog has lifted.

Ditto the Yorkshire Dales!