PDA

View Full Version : Pub closures in 2011

dpcoverdale
07-03-2011, 12:49
I am a journalist and am writing a feature this week on pub closures. The aim is to highlight the difficulties pub owners face ahead of the budget later this month. We may also do an online petition against the potential rise of beer duty.

As part of the feature, I am looking to find the names of pubs that have had to close so far this year.

I would really appreciate anyone writing here if they know of pubs that have had to shut down. If you know of the date they shut and their address that would be great as well.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

RogerB
07-03-2011, 18:27
I don't know of any that have actually shut this year yet but the Oakdale Arms in Haringey (283 Hermitage Road, N4 1NP), will be closing its doors for good on March 19th. I will be paying it a visit for the first and no doubt last time on Wednesday before the Spurs v Milan match!

dpcoverdale
07-03-2011, 18:31
Hi Roger. Do you know why it's closing and what's going to happen to it?

RogerB
07-03-2011, 18:48
Not sure why but it has had a good reputation for its beers in recent years and is widelay regarded as one of the better, if not the best, pub in the area. I understand it will be demolished and flats built in its place. Mr Real Estate wins again! :mad:

Oggwyn Trench
07-03-2011, 19:51
These 3 have all closed in the last month or so ,http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32697/ , http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32713/ , http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67942/ all in the same small area of Telford , the Cross Keys and Summerhouse were both pretty rough places .

This one is closed to http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32694/ probally due to the position in town and the Landlords refusal to sell Real Ale when all but one(an irish bar) of the other pubs in town sell it

This one closed down http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32693/ when the landlord did a runner just after new year but is now reopen

On a brighter note in the last 6 months or so several pubs have been reopened that have been closed for 3/4 years

Farway
08-03-2011, 14:26
This one closed Jan 2011 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13578/)

Formal notice on doors about non forced entry to repossess by Eneterprise Inns and lease cancelled

Rumour is financial troubles, no idea if it may rise again

Shame is was one of my favourites around the Dockyard, a real touch of old fashioned honesty about the place

Quinno
08-03-2011, 14:36
One in Reading:

Wellington Arms
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1793/ (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1729/)

Never a particularly brilliant place by any means and stiff local competition has seen off another licensee.

RogerB
30-03-2011, 15:34
Just found out that the Crown & Thistle in Gravesend closes this weekend - a regular CAMRA award winner so not sure of the reasons. Might have to pay it a final visit this week if I can squeeze it in.

HTM69
31-03-2011, 13:18
Just found out that the Crown & Thistle in Gravesend closes this weekend - a regular CAMRA award winner so not sure of the reasons. Might have to pay it a final visit this week if I can squeeze it in.

Oh no, that's too bad. I'd love to know the reasoning. I only paid a couple of midday visits, but even at that time, the pub was nearly full to the brim.

RogerB
11-04-2011, 09:34
I have heard that the Crown & Thistle is being refurbished so hopefully it will reopen again. The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!

RogerB
11-04-2011, 13:52
I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.

Pubsignman
11-04-2011, 15:02
The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!

Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.

Oggwyn Trench
11-04-2011, 17:04
I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level:mad:

Brewguru
12-04-2011, 14:17

A bit off topic but Phil and Jacki Bennet who were the managers at the time of the Pub of the Year award are now running the Cornubia in Bristol to similar acclaim

Oggwyn Trench
12-04-2011, 20:36
I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level:mad:

Just found out the Bull in the Barne closed two weeks ago , pity it was a very good pub

PaulOfHorsham
17-04-2011, 23:07
I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.

Not been there for a few years, but definitely a great place. "Internal disputes", eh? Love to know more - I though that it was pretty much a one-man band anyway.

PaulOfHorsham
17-04-2011, 23:13
The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!

A quick search around the net (including an unexpected visit to the place that must not be mentioned) suggests that Garrett & Lynne are off to the Cotswolds (and also that The Bull might be returning to its earlier somewhat lower standards)

RogerB
18-04-2011, 11:57
The closest pub to my house used to be a really good community local where I could be found virtually every night either playing darts or even working behind the bar. I haven't used it much for several years after the long standing landlords left to be replaced by a series of idiots and the place went totally downhill. Familiar story. It closed at the back end of last year but in recent weeks there has been a load of work being done to it. I had heard rumours that it was going to be a modern trendy bar with a new zingy name. It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.

Delboy20
18-04-2011, 19:04
It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.

You hope :pray::pray:

Fingers crossed Roger :D:D

RogerB
19-04-2011, 16:05
Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.

You will get the chance - it reopens this weekend and the good news is that it is now being run by the woman who used to run the Hope in Carshalton, another excellent pub and quite similar in its approach to the Bull so hopefully, the pub looks to be in safe hands.

Pubsignman
19-04-2011, 16:47
You will get the chance - it reopens this weekend and the good news is that it is now being run by the woman who used to run the Hope in Carshalton, another excellent pub and quite similar in its approach to the Bull so hopefully, the pub looks to be in safe hands.

That's great news - I love the Hope (I'll be heading down there next week to their 'Extreme Beers' Festival), so it sounds like they've got the right sort of person in to carry on the good work at the Bull. I'll add it back on my 'to do' list!

Crown and Thistle
21-11-2011, 23:30
I am a journalist and am writing a feature this week on pub closures. The aim is to highlight the difficulties pub owners face ahead of the budget later this month. We may also do an online petition against the potential rise of beer duty.

As part of the feature, I am looking to find the names of pubs that have had to close so far this year.

I would really appreciate anyone writing here if they know of pubs that have had to shut down. If you know of the date they shut and their address that would be great as well.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

We had to close for a few weeks following repossession and a court case against previous tenant, but now the original owner (owner at time of CAMRA award in 2003) is back in charge. We are offering a wide range of real ales and ciders, as well as excellent wines. You can order a Chinese or Indian takeaway to eat in at no surcharge. Come and enjoy a traditional Kentish pub, in existence as a pub since 1845!

RogerB
22-11-2011, 20:57
We had to close for a few weeks following repossession and a court case against previous tenant, but now the original owner (owner at time of CAMRA award in 2003) is back in charge. We are offering a wide range of real ales and ciders, as well as excellent wines. You can order a Chinese or Indian takeaway to eat in at no surcharge. Come and enjoy a traditional Kentish pub, in existence as a pub since 1845!

That's good news - Look forward to popping back in! There's now a few decent pubs to be found in Gravesend and it's good to see the C&T back in the thick of it.