PDA

View Full Version : Cotswolds pubs

Norm H
05-03-2011, 22:47
My wife and I will be hiking in the Cotswolds from one village to the next in April (we live in Ohio). The villages we will be staying in are Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Guiting Power, Winchombe, Stanton, Broadway, and Chipping Campden. Are there any pubs in those towns that we really shouldn't miss for both ales and food? And any recommended ales that I shouldn't miss. Thanks. Norm

Oggwyn Trench
06-03-2011, 10:25
Only been to Stow on the Wold for a brief visit , stopped off for a bite to eat and a pint on the way to Oxford , stopped here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/12414/ a traditional country pub good beer and decent food , the town is very touristy as are most of the pubs

Al 10000
06-03-2011, 19:04
Hi Norm H,

There are a few decent pubs in Moreton in the marsh I would recomend the Black Bear this is a Donnington brewery pub and it also does food.

There are about 8 pubs in Stow on the Wold i think the best is the Queens Head this is a Donnington brewery pub which is local to the cotswolds and their beers are well worth drinking.

Bourton on the Water is very touristy and also a very nice place to visit but most of the pubs here are hotels with public bars.

Guiting Power is a small village just outside Stow and there used to be 2 pubs there, The farmers Arms is still there and this is also a Donnington brewery house so the beer should be very nice here.

Whinchcombe is more like a small town and there are about 6 pubs there i hav'nt been there so i car'nt comment on the pubs there.

Stanton is a small village and there is 1 pub there this is called the Mount Inn this is a Donnington brewery house so the beer here should be good.

Broadway is another decent place and there are a few decent pubs here as this is aslo like a small town.

Chipping Campden is a small town and there are about 6 pubs there but i car'nt comment on the pubs has i hav'nt been there.

I would recomend any beers from Donnington or Hook Norton brewerys and try and avoid Greene King IPA this is a common beer and has very little taste to it.

I hope this will help you on your visit to this area of England you wont be dissapointed.

Cheers Alan.

oldboots
06-03-2011, 19:34
Just a few more to add to the good advice so far,
Inn on the Marsh, Stow Rd, Moreton on the Marsh;
Mousetrap, Lansdowne, Bourton on the Water;
Bakers Arms, Broad Campden;
Ebrington Arms, Ebrington;
Fox Inn, The Green, Broadwell

Sadly none have been reviewed here so if you visit any we'd love to hear what you thought of them.

aleandhearty
07-03-2011, 15:15
Inn on the Marsh, Stow Rd, Moreton on the Marsh;
Bakers Arms, Broad Campden;

Hi Norm, these are the two I was going to mention, as they are both in the Good Beer Guide 2011. I went to the Bakers Arms a few years ago and as well as being a good beer pub, it also did good value food.

My sister used to live just outside Moreton in the Marsh, in a picture postcard pretty village called Blockley. She used to live just across the road from a fine old coaching inn called The Crown. It has changed hands since I was there, but it had a very good reputation for food and might be worth a punt: http://www.crowninncotswolds.co.uk/

Beer wise, I was always partial to a pint of Goff's Jouster.

Enjoy your trip.

Norm H
29-03-2011, 15:32
Just wanted to say thank you for the great suggestions. We'll soon be off to enjoy a pint or two (or maybe a few more). Thanks again.

Norm